The Anthro Society Ch 1 Perosk

by Pendragon

Perosk

Perosk looked around the village from his seat on the roof of a building, but he took in nothing: his mind was elsewhere. The stone beneath his paws was as hot as burning coals in the afternoon heat. He jumped down to the ground and landed as nimbly as a cat. “Dammit, Perosk,” said a surprised voice behind him. “You nearly scared the crap out of me.”

Perosk flipped around to see Yeron, a Grey Wolf visiting from a neighboring village. Yeron wore nothing but his black pants on this hot day. Only his fur covered his torso. “Sorry ‘bout that, Yeron,” said Perosk. “That roof was gettin’ too hot for my paws to handle.” Perosk turned around and started to walk off but was called back by Yeron.

“Perosk,” he said, “I’m heading back to my village tomorrow and you’re Village Elder’s asked me to take you with me.”

“Why?” Perosk asked, with a hint of frustration in his voice.

“I don’t know. A messenger was sent to me from them and asked if I could take you with me. I will if you wish to come.”

“I’ll tell you tonight at the feast,” Perosk said trying to keep his calm. This has somethin’ to do with what happened last week, he thought angerly. “I’ll see you later then.” He stormed away before Yeron could say good-bye. He must think somethin’ is wrong with me.

Perosk walked through the busy Fox Village. Everyone greeted him, but he did return the greeting as he pushed his way towards the Village Center where the Elder’s lived. He walked across the threshold of the Elder’s living quarters and banged on the door of the Elder he knew was responsible for this. “Tolen! Open this damn door!” Perosk yelled.

He stopped as the door opened a crack as a greying old Fox in bright red robes appeared behind it. “Perosk,” said Telon said, opening the door fully. “Calm down. You sound like a human was after you.”

“What do you think you’re doin’ sendin’ me away with Yeron?”

“Perosk. Perosk, I send you away for your own--”

“My own good!” Perosk yelled. “You think what happened to me last week affected me!” He grabbed Telon’s robes and shaking his robes violently. He pushed Telon and backed away towards the door. “My parent’s parting will not ruin my life.”

“Don’t let it. Go with Yeron to the Wolf Village, forget about the Fox Village for now. Forget about the death’s you had to live through, do not let them haunt you.”

“I will go,” Perosk said in defeat, “but only to get away from you.”

“Good. Go with my blessing and forget last week, at least for now.”

Alright, here I come! Lol, well, here comes the critique you've asked for. :)

Perosk looked around the village from his seat on the roof of a building, but he took in nothing: [a semicolon] his mind was elsewhere.

The stone beneath his paws was as hot as burning coals in the afternoon heat.

Very nice! :D

“Dammit, Perosk,” said a surprised voice behind him. “You nearly scared the crap out of me.”

Be careful. Do you want modern day slang in your fantasy story? I honestly don't think it belongs and we should find another way around them.

Perosk flipped around to see Yeron, a Grey Wolf visiting from a neighboring village. Yeron wore nothing but his black pants on this hot day. Only his fur covered his torso.

Rewrite this so the second and third sentences aren't info-dumping. Perosk turned around to see the Gray Wolf, Yeron, standing in his black pants. Perosk wondered what he was doing here, since Yeron didn't live here in a fox village.

“Sorry ‘bout that, Yeron,” said Perosk.

Good job! :) Some people struggle with writing slang out like this.

Perosk turned around and started to walk off, but was called back by Yeron.

“Perosk,” he said, “I’m heading back to my village tomorrow, and [s]you’re[/s] your Village [s]Elder’s[/s] Elders asked me to take you with me.”

“Why?” Perosk asked, [no comma] with a hint of frustration in his voice.

"Why?" Perosk asked through clenched teeth. Ja, nein?

A messenger was sent to me from them and asked if I could take you with me. I will if you wish to come.”

"They sent a messenger to ask if I could bring you with me. I won't force you to come if you don't want to, though."

This has somethin’ to do with what happened last week, he thought [s]angerly[/s] angrily.

Perosk walked through the [s]busy [/s] crowded Fox Village. Everyone greeted him, but he [s]did return[/s] didn't return the greeting. [s]as[/s] he pushed his way towards the Village Center where the [s]Elder’s[/s] Elders lived.

“Tolen! Open this damn door!” Perosk yelled.

Again, you best consider your curses. Either make up a new one to fit your civilization, or try to get around them.

He stopped as the door opened a crack [s]as[/s] and a greying old Fox in bright red robes [s]appeared[/s] peeked outside [or something else?] [s]behind it[/s]. “Perosk,” [use an exclamation point instead ^^] said Telon said, opening the door fully. “Calm down. You sound like a human was after you.”

“What do you think you’re doin’ [not sure, but I think a comma goes here. I think it safe to ask around] sendin’ me away with Yeron?”

--My own good!” Perosk [s]yelled[/s] finished heatedly. “You think what happened to me last week affected me!” He grabbed Telon’s robes and [s]shaking his robes[/s] shook them violently.

He pushed Telon and backed away towards the door.

Wait, were they outside? Or inside? who backed toward the door and why? Rewrite this. :wink:

Forget about the [s]death’s[/s] deaths you had to live through, [period] do not let them haunt you.”
“I will go,” Perosk said [s]in defeat[/s] with a sigh [or something like it], “but only to get away from you.”

“Good. Go with my blessing and forget last week ever happened [or "came to be"], [use triple dots] [s]at least[/s] for now.”

Good...that Perosk wants to get away from the Elder? Or good that he's leaving?

Overall, good job! :) I enjoyed reviewing this for you. It's a nice read, but there's a few questions and rephrasing some of this could help clear some of them up. I wonder what's so important about traveling with Yeron...? :wink:

It'll be interesting to find out! Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!

Shreksurmum says...

I agree that you should explain that this Perosk is a fox, but i mean, if he lives in a fox village hes not going to be a bloody rabbit is he? but yes, this story has great potential and i'd like to hear more!

Teh Wozzinator wrote a review...

this was good...it was short, so not much to edit, i don't think, and i have to go eat lunch, but i'm curious...are they foxes? you never explain anything but "fox village". i think it's a good story, has potential, your writing style is good, blah, blah, blah. just one thing, at the end of paragraph one, ditch the "nearly". just say "you scared the crap outta me!" there were a few places where you needed to add commas, but i'll get to that later.

keep writing!

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
— Lemony Snicket