z

Young Writers Society



part one of the water (part two, death)

by shanan


Ice.

Cold agaisnt my hard feet but yet not bothersome. The harsh wind was at my back and racing past my ears, blocking all sound around me.

I knew I that I had to do it, but was my decision really made?

I had no choice now for if I continued on like this, my life would end and most likely be dramatically painful, and undecievingly crucial.

I aproched the cold water, unwelcoming and horribly cold. I only needed to take three steps until my face hit the water, followed by the rest of the my body, exerting no splash.

I was now home.

In the waters of the Artic.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
389 Reviews


Points: 4209
Reviews: 389

Donate
Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:22 pm
SeraphTree wrote a review...



:D:D Since I'm in the neighborhood....

Ice.
Cold agaisnt my hard feet but yet not bothersome. The harsh wind was at my back and racing past my ears, blocking all sound around me.


THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^ is way way WAY to vague. Yes, the Arctic does have ice in the winter, but not all the time. We need more details. I mean, the
Aleutian Islands are really windy too, so I'm getting conflicting images here.

I knew I that I had to do it, but was my decision really made?

This doesn't make sense. What is holding him back? Why doesn't he want to die? Was he forced to do it?

I had no choice now for if I continued on like this, my life would end and most likely be dramatically painful, and undecievingly crucial

More details here. THOUGHT BUBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is he so pessimistic about his life?

I aproched the cold water, unwelcoming and horribly cold. I only needed to take three steps until my face hit the water, followed by the rest of the my body, exerting no splash.

This doesn't make sense. Why does he want to do something that he knows will kill him? Is this suicide? Wouldn't he float to the surface?

In the waters of the Artic

!
Interesting, yes, but, again, too vague. I mean, people think our lakes and rivers are freezing cold too. Besides that, There are waters DEFINITELY more cold than the Arctic. For example the Antarctic, the southern tip of S America... etc. THOSE waters are much more dangerous than the Arctic waters. :D
Besides that...
We need more specifics here. Where in the Arctic is this? Russia? Canada? Alaska? Norway? Iceland? We need to know the history of this person, the culture, etc. I mean, Norway and Canada have VERY different mythologies, and since we know nothing about your MC, we have to assume he's from one of the northern countries. Details! Background! Flash backs!!!
I suggest you research some of the different northern countries and see which you like the best, so we know where this guy came from! :D
If you have any questions PM me :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:16 pm
shanan says...



um.. thanks for your advice. You are right, I should cut off all the snakes that I don't need.
Pm me, o.k?
read my other story( death), and tell me what you think, o.k?
thanks and bye.




User avatar
387 Reviews


Points: 27175
Reviews: 387

Donate
Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:50 pm
Kylan wrote a review...



I really don't know what to think of this. It's almost got a poetic layout and cadence, but you've posted it in a fiction forum and the piece itself feels like the beginning of a story...

Rule of thumb, here, and it annoys the heck out of me when someone disregards it. If you want to recieve any sort of decent critique and collect any sort of following, it's only polite to post more of a story. This isn't a story. This isn't even a prologue. It's a fragment of the consciousness of some sort of detatched character who we know nothing about and, in the end, don't care about either. If you want to entertain give us more than a crumb, please. We don't care about this piece. I probably won't read the sequels either, if any exist, because you've failed to entice me into the story.

Live by this unwritten rule: when placing fiction on an internet forum, please write at least five good size paragraphs before posting.

If I had more to work off of here, this beginning might have been pretty good. It's descriptive, artistic, and yet doesn't lose the reader to needless adjectives and backstory - a plague that many stories on YWS suffer from.

I had no choice now for if I continued on like this, my life would end and most likely be dramatically painful, and undecievingly crucial.


This sentence is awkward. "Dramatically painful?" "Undecievingly crucial?" What? Who talks like that? Who writes like that? You've got extra words floating around in this watery prose like so many snakes on a Medusa's head. Cut them off. Consider this reworked passage: "I had no choice now. If I continued on like this, my life would end painfully, cruelly." Much better, neh?

Anyways. As Arya said, you have promise, but you just need to be more prolific.

-Kylan




User avatar
602 Reviews


Points: 1609
Reviews: 602

Donate
Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:50 pm
Wolf wrote a review...



shanan wrote:The hrsh wind was at my back and racing past my ears blocking all sound around me.


There's an A in harsh. ^_^

shanan wrote:Ihad no choice now for if I continued on like this, my life would end and most likely be dramatically painful, and undecievingly crucial.


You forgot to put a space between the I and the 'had'. :wink:
Also, how can the end of one's live be undecievingly crucial? Crucial means essential, like it's very important, so you mean that tthe end of your life will be extremely important?! Weird. If I were you, I'd have a different word choice. Ex: harsh etc.

shanan wrote:Iaproched the cold water, unwelcoming and horribly cold. i only needed to take three steps until my face hit the water, followed by the rest of the my body, exerting no splash.


You forgot the space between I and 'aproched'. But 'aproch' should be 'approached'. Also, capitalize the I in your second sentence there. :wink:

Iwas now home.


Again with the space. Put one between I and 'was'.

shanan wrote:In the waters of the Artic.


I love that ending sentence. Very nice work there. :)

Overall, this was too short. I know you've written more, so why not post it too?
But anyways. This was good; nice pacing, lovely ending sentence. It makes you wonder.
This has potential! Keep going. :D
Cheers,
Ayra :elephant:





This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes