z

Young Writers Society



A Rainy Day in April.

by SofieR


I’m sitting here watching the rain

Hit the pavement and slip down the drain

Like all the time I spent trying to make things work with you.

Honestly, hand me the blame.

I lock my feelings in a box

place it high up on a shelf

even my daddy says I never express myself

I wish you the best.

Live a life that’s blessed.

I’ll be here watching the rain hit the pavement

And slip down the drain.

Like all time I will waste trying to make sense of you. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 731
Reviews: 20

Donate
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 pm
View Likes
KaavyaK says...



Nice work done by the author.

"Honestly, hand me the blame.
I lock my feelings in a box
place it high up on a shelf
even my daddy says I never express myself
I wish you the best.
Live a life that’s blessed."
The author is really good at expressing his/her feelings and thoughts in words. I love the poem due to its short and to the point format, gaining its readers' interest.

Keep it up.
Waiting for more.
Thank you.




User avatar


Points: 31
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:57 pm
View Likes
Semicolon wrote a review...



Hello! I'm Ava
I had to write a review for this.
The way I crumbled after reading this piece!

Before I say anything, I LOVED the rhyme scheme, it's perfect.

It's remarkable how you showed the rain to express the melancholy you felt.
The lines,

I lock my feelings in a box

place it high up on a shelf

even my daddy says I never express myself

I wish you the best.

Live a life that’s blessed.

The imagery of locking your feelings in a box tells how you decided to let go of the person you loved and wished your loved one a happy life.
I would also like to highlight that the rain falling in the drain resonated with your feelings which you could never express yourself. Along with the rain falling in the drain is like wasting your time, it almost felt like the falling rain expressed your feelings on your behalf.
Overall, I felt that the rain and emotions of the author resonated each other; I could see the author's loud and hurt mind but calm on the outside. Because of this comparison, I feel that it made this poem delicate, beautiful yet sad at the very same time.

Thank you for this wonderful piece. I hope the author feels okay after expressing feelings through this beautiful poem.
Hope you have a great day!




User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 308
Reviews: 81

Donate
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:57 pm
ariah347 wrote a review...



It's a rainy day in April for me too. The irony made me click on the title as well as the fact that this is featured. Let's get into my review.

What did I love about it? For starters, the full circle moment of repetition from the beginning lines to the end. Secondly, I relate to this ten-fold. It's vague enough that anyone can find some semblance of relatability, yet specific enough that there is a thematic tone. Thirdly, the metaphor of the rain and wasting time. Not only can the aspect of watching the rain go down the drain be categorically wasteful of time, but it can also be peaceful or catatonic, depending on the person and who is judging said use of time. Also, the same can be said for the writer's "you". Additionally, rain going down the drain is also wasteful, especially when that water may be used for replenishing the earth. The "you" that is discussed here could be comparable to this, too. Lastly, the rhyming here is *chef's kiss*. Poems and prose do not necessarily have to have rhythm, rhyme, or a "flow". However, this does each masterfully.

What needs improved? Not a thing! This is *wordery* (words + wizardry). Thank you for sharing such a great piece!




User avatar
229 Reviews


Points: 15661
Reviews: 229

Donate
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 am
AkuRashomon says...



Hello, I am just here to say, this is a really nice poem! Keep it up :D




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 7801
Reviews: 43

Donate
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 am
View Likes
22Midnight wrote a review...



Hi names 22Midnight
hope your doing well, let's get into it!

First Impression to me from the title it might be a poem about how wonderful the rain is and how it can sometimes help you wash away your grief.

I’m sitting here watching the rain

Hit the pavement and slip down the drain

Like all the time I spent trying to make things work with you.

these first two lines are so beautifully written and then to add the last line two it just made me really sad
Honestly, hand me the blame.

I lock my feelings in a box

place it high up on a shelf

even my daddy says I never express myself

I wish you the best.

I really feel like this is showing a lot of pain and grief in a person that's been hurt so badly by someone but still wants the best for them because there a nice person, and just because someone else broke them doesn't mean there going to wish bad things on that person who hurt them.
Live a life that’s blessed.

I’ll be here watching the rain hit the pavement

And slip down the drain.

Like all time I will waste trying to make sense of you.

Loved these last lines defiantly showing pain and loss but trying to still be a nice person and search for the best in someone that's just really horrible.

Overall altogether even though the poem was short it was wonderfully written, honestly i think it deserves more likes :)

anyway that's it from me

hope you have a great dawn/dusk/midnight

See Ya




User avatar


Points: 320
Reviews: 4

Donate
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 am
Thebroken021 wrote a review...



My Interpretation:You are sitting there, depressed, watching the rain. Mourning for your efforts of trying to understand and work with someone. You blame yourself for hiding your feelings in the first place. You wish this person a blessed life, then as you watch the tears of emotion fall and slip down the drain, you are filled with regret and frustration for wasting your time trying to make sense of them in the first place.

My thoughts: This is filled with conflicting emotions I think. You are sad and angry, yet kind of blaming yourself at the same time. I like the rain drain rhymes, they make the poem flow kinda

More: I think it can be more smoother if the rhymes were in a pattern.





It's hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.
— Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian