Love does not measure.

by Caerulean

*Audio of me reading it aloud here: https://soundcloud.com/caeruleanity/love-does-not...

*GDocs link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xpfL5OZQoFKAb...

- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -

Re: the recording - I wasn't particularly going for a proper recitation in the recording, but I wanted to capture the mood and the 'moment', I guess. Oh, and I didn't mean to put on a British accent, but I guess I turn British when I'm being poetic. lool

Also, 👀 I hadn't written a poem in a very long time, my word. o.o I hope it's good.

Some context: So I have this 'lore and ideas' document for my WIP fantasy series and I have a section for 'wisdoms' which includes some mini philosophical(?) 'essays' on some concepts from my self-reflections and whatnot. (Sounds very nerdy. lol) And recently, I've been feeling a bit *ehem* emotional, haha, hence the topic of Love. Wasn't planning to write a poem but there it is. It was just supposed to be another mini essay. <.<

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 pm
Ley wrote a review...

Hello! Ley here to leave a quick and hopefully enjoyable review!

Firstly, I always like to start off with first impressions. This was a super well-written poem, and I loved how you formatted it. I could definitely tell that, even though you say you haven't written poetry in a while, that you're definitely skilled in it! I'd love to urge you to write more poetry, as this was amazing and I'd love to read more of your work. I'm not a very great poet, but I really do enjoy reading others!

As for the content, I was locked in since after I read the first stanza! I'm a sucker for poetry about love, and you really set the informative yet creative tone with:

It accepts,
and perseveres and takes root,
deep even in soil most parched.

I loveeeddd the comparison and imagery here, how you compared love to a living thing such as a plant or flower. How even in the hardest times, love will always win. I really enjoyed that stanza.

I couldn't find any grammar mistakes and I don't have any suggestions on format, so you're good to go, there! :D

Now, for the ending. Oh, how I loved it! It was the perfect way to end the whole thing, and left me with something to reflect on.

Thank you for posting this! It was an awesome read. I hope to read more of your writing around YWS! :D <3

With Love,
Ley

Caerulean says...

Thank you so much!

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 pm
angelinamar wrote a review...

I think this poem explains what love is/ like. The part where it says " Love does not want", I took a moment and reflected on that. I seem to sometimes feel like Love does not want me, if that make sense. The part where it says " And it is this love -warmthless and discontent-" is relatable because love can be harsh and it's hard to see love finding other people around you and not you. "For love that wants corrupt", I feel like love also causes problems between people at the same time. Love can be good and bad. Those are my thoughts, thanks for this short read :)

Caerulean says...

Thank you, and welcome to YWS!

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides