Angels, Human Beings and Orangutangs

by PEL

And so it seems ---

That the only thing we can count on

Is the unreliability of life on Earth.

The only thing constant is change.

And human beings seem o look

Like pathetic Angels,

Struggling in a heavy mass,

Weighed down by gravity,

And fear,

Trying desperately to free themselves,

From the pleasures and burdens 

Of life.

Much like the noble, but sad and poignant

Orangutan

Who looks out from the jungle trees,

With eyes that know,

Like a pathetic Human Being.

But with arms that remind her,

That she will always be tied to the trees.

Just as the trees will always be tied to the Earth,

And the Earth, always tied to the Sun and the Moon.

Orangutan, Orangutan

Eyes of sorrow,

Eyes that sang,

As she whipped through the trees

And hung on to thee breeze.

She flew, she flew

For just a moment or two.

But she knew;

She knew, that as a man,

She would roam the land

And rule,

Until the Angels caressed her cheek,

With a song, of how she left the trees 

To roam;

Only to find, 

That she had never really

Left her home.

And now, we are

Monkey and Man and Angel

In one.

A fearful and beautiful creature

Of Earth.

Looking out with eyes

Of Hope and Sorrow,

To the Universe out there

Beyond tomorrow.

PEL.          https://poemsbypel.tumblr.com.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am
EllieMae wrote a review...

Ellie here for a quick review! I hope you are having a great day, friend :D Let's get right into the review!

And human beings seem o look

Like pathetic Angels,

Did you mean to say, 'to look'? Maybe just a little type that I noticed!

Trying desperately to free themselves,

From the pleasures and burdens

Of life.

I really liked this phrase. I love how you did not just say burden, sins, evil, etc, but you also included pleasures. Pleasures are normally associated with good, so this really stood out to me. This seems like a very deeply thought-out poem, i love it!

Orangutan

Who looks out from the jungle trees,

With eyes that know,

Like a pathetic Human Being.

But with arms that remind her,

The title of this poem stood out to me right away, because I LOVE animals :D I love how you use the orangutan in this piece. I wonder, why did you capitalize the words Human Being here? Capitalization is often for titles, like God, or a leader. Was this done on purpose, maybe to show the superiority of humans over animals?

I found this poem quite lovely. You touch on angels, man, animals, and so much of our world. I love seeing how you tie these together. It feels like this poem could be part of a larger story or universe you have created because of how much detail. As well as the capitalizations you use.

Either way, awesome job :D

Keep writing! Your friend,
Ellie

PEL says...

Thank you Ellie Mae for your review. I am glad you liked the review. Is was a type error, which I hadn't noticed. I also used capital letters for the Orangutan and Angels as well. I believe that Angels, Humans and all living things share the same spirit which animates life, so I don't think a
Humans are superior to animals. In fact the opposite is often the case. Animals are much more in tune with Nature and don't destroy Nature so in that sense I see them as being closer to Universal Love than most humans. Keep your eyes open because I will be posting a song soon called Keep on Keeping on. Also if your interested in animals and challenging your perspective on life you can find 2 poems plus notes on my web page below. They are to long to post on this site. " A Word From a Bird" introduces the long poem called "The Phantom". You may find them challenging because they are Aquarian poems not Piscean ones. Thank you again for your kind thoughts. PEL. https://poemsbypel.tumblr.com.

Serrurie says...

This is a really beautiful poem. I love all of the analogies you use, and as a past advocate for endangered rainforest species, I like the addition of the orangutan. I would like to have a debate about something, however. In the poem, you mention how we are 'tied' to this Earth, never to make it anywhere else, bound to ourselves, etc. But one thing, if you look carefully all around us, is that animals have nothing but the earth. But humans, out of everything, find themselves questioning their meaning and purpose, looking for something greater. How can such a complex creature, with a soul, empathy, and dignity, be tied to nothing but an orb of magma and dirt? I found the answer to this question a while ago, and I want to share it with you: We aren't always tied to this Earth. It's just that most of the time, humans choose to tie themselves to it.
I didn't lead this review with my Christian beliefs, as it often turns people off. But, if you ever have questions about purpose and meaning, I have a few answers that I think will open your heart and your mind.
Great poem :).

Serrurie wrote a review...

Great poem :).

PEL says...

Hi Serrurie,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the poem. Don't worry, I didn't mean to imply that humans and animals are permanently tied to the Earth. We are only tied to it while we are in our physical bodies. Mind you some people who don't believe in the Spiritual realms may feel the life on Earth is all they have, but I don't. I may even take you thoughts a step further. I believe that all animals have souls as well and after they pass from this plane there is a place for them in the Spiritual Realms as well. You ask if I have questions about the purpose and meaning of life. I have often, as most people do asked those questions of myself. We are here to create, co-create with God if you like and to Spiritualize the Earth. What does that mean ? It means to raise the frequency of the Earth to a more Spiritual level where kindness, love and compassion for all creatures including the Earth, becomes more dominant, instead of the negativity, greed and wars which are still affecting our planet and us in these times. Jesus was someone who was able to raise the Spiritual frequency and it is up to us to do the same and not to be dragged down by the present negativity surrounding the planet.
I hope that puts your concers at rest. PEL.

"Death is cheap, and so is life, but a reputation is not easily recovered."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi