z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Flight was on time...

by SportyWriter, DrFeelGood


"Hello Dad, the flight is on time."

"That's great! I'll reach the airport at 7.00 PM to pick you up."

"Love you, Dad!"

Dad is still waiting for his angel as the MH370 flight is yet to arrive at Beijing airport.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 14

Donate
Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:21 pm
Farhan wrote a review...



Much better, I would say. It's like someone who scores 40% in each exam suddenly gets 60%.

I like the concept. But the execution is downright atrocious. Initially I thought you were poking fun at victims. Some sort of grotesque, but after reading your comments I realize that this was meant to be a tribute. So, first off, you need to create characters. You need some sort of narrative to actually create a story. Then you need emotions. Emotions have to be raw. Your storyline is fresh but it lacks the depth.

But at least you have tried to create a story unlike your other two works. So good job! Keep writing!




Farhan says...


No offense man, even I'm writing an article like your 5 ways to spotlight. Oh, and I found out what spotlight is, so sorry for being harsh. I do get that it was satirical essay. Hope my essay also gets in the spotlight :D



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:18 pm
erilea wrote a review...



SportyWriter, I read your piece 5 Ways to get into the Literary Spotlight.

My only error to point out was that the time, "7.00" was supposed to be 7:00. And please capitalize the title. Your point was short but mild, and it sent me to giggles. I think you categorized this piece well, and I hope you don't mind me following you!

-wisegirl22




User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:26 pm
View Likes
birk says...



I don't like this.

Crude and unnecessary.




SportyWriter says...


Crude?



OofOof1 says...


Crude? Please explain what crude means before you even say that word.



User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 200

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:54 pm
EmeraldEyes wrote a review...



I've got to be honest... this was kinda a bad idea.
It's easy to laugh about it (o.o) as long as the events discussed don't effect you, but for the people involved, I don't think they would appreciate this.
Having said that, I know it's not written for them (and maybe this was supposed to be taken with a massive dose of humour) but I think the writing is irreverent, tactless and completely inconsiderate.
Personally, I think some people will find this really offensive and I can't blame them. :(




SportyWriter says...


Offensive? It was meant to be dark not funny. The last line means dad is still waiting for his daughter who never came back after the flight got lost.

I think you completely missed the point.



EmeraldEyes says...


I understand what the work was about... but what's up with the title then? The way this has been represented makes it look really satirical.



SportyWriter says...


Nope it wasn't intended to make fun of those poor travelers. I'm really sorry if you thought I was poking fun at them



EmeraldEyes says...


I think it was mainly the title; and the fact the work was so short... I thought you were making a joke out of it. :/



SportyWriter says...


I do realize I should have elaborated it. I have actually taken a dig at myself with my next piece.

5 Ways to get into the Literary Spotlight



EmeraldEyes says...


Hmmm ok.
Was the numbering 1,2,4 and 5 intentional?
XP LOL



SportyWriter says...


Yep!



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 40
Reviews: 279

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:53 pm
MasterGrieves wrote a review...



Hmm. Well, first of all, I am no stranger in writing works of this style. Admittedly, I have had a history of offensive and irreverent works, attacking religion for example. However, those days are behind me, and any critique of any topic is done constructively and is only humorous when necessary.

I find this work tries way too hard to be offensive, as the issue here is topical. We are currently living in a time where plane crashes and attacks are common place, such as 9/11, and the recent disappearance as discussed in the work, as well as the shooting down of a plane in Ukraine by Russian rebel forces. This is too trivial and it was as if you knew this would cause offense.

Obviously, I may be completely misinterpreting the work, and this may be a serious work, but judging by the sarcastic title- the exclamation mark gives it away- I think this was meant to be dark humour. This piece seems like opportunism to crack a joke of significantly poor taste.

Whilst I respect your freedom to write whatever you want and speak your mind on an issue, and that offense is taken and not given, it doesn't mean everyone must like it. People are allowed to be offended and are allowed to feel uncomfortable/angry with what they read.

Just a friendly word. I have been here before too many times.




SportyWriter says...


The title needs to be changed. It was not a dark work but a tribute to families which got shattered because of that tragedy



SportyWriter says...


*it was not a comedy but a tribute to them*





Oh. It appears I have been mixing my genres up. I assumed by the title of the piece that it was comedy, as well as the end line, i.e. what would be the punchline. My deepest apologies. :)

-huggles-



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 399
Reviews: 18

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43 pm
View Likes
Nikachu says...



Hey there! So I would review this but I don't really see a need to review a tribute. This is something special you guys wrote and I wouldn't change a thing about it. I actually really liked the abruptness of the piece. That's how it happens in real life; everything seems normal and then suddenly tragedy strikes. Life doesn't give us transition sentences or long drawn out details to prepare us for these kinds of things. They just happen and you captured that beautifully.

Great work guys! Keep it up!




User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 7153
Reviews: 133

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 pm
View Likes
ChipsMcCoy wrote a review...



Hey, Chips here with a review.

Well, I liked that you kept the story focused throughout, nothing went off the main topic. However I have some suggestions which may be of help to you.

Now onto the review:

But I found the title to be misleading, I know it's to create a dramatic irony though it could have been paraphrased slightly to keep the element of mystery there without being completely different to the actual occurrences. But otherwise, the title is up to you.

I know literal short stories are your style, however this particular one needed more depth and detail to build some kind of momentum. I saw below you intended this to be a tribute, by it being a tribute I would think that is even more reason to have more emotion or suspense added. Personally, I didn't feel a strong emotion by the end of this to be honest, partly due to the abrupt ending which reached a quick climax too soon.

As an overview, It would be even better if you described the feelings of how the father felt, elaborated on the journey his daughter took, the daughter's anticipation of the journey. If we saw that the journey was going well, smooth sailing, this ending would have been more dramatic. You could use more dramatic devices too such as, the coloring of the sky, weather, sounds, lighting, directions.

Overall, this piece has plenty of potential, hope this review helped. Keep writing!

--Chippy




User avatar
382 Reviews


Points: 15691
Reviews: 382

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...



Hey! Waddup?

This was very abrupt. The first time I read this, my initial reaction was, "Oh" I liked the irony in the title, though.

Unfortunately, I never had anyone to brain storm with or discuss about writings/novels/characters. I should say you are lucky to have a writer as your neigbhour.

Have fun!




SportyWriter says...


Thanks a lot for your comments. Will update you when I post my next work :)



User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 683
Reviews: 86

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:08 am
ConfusedGlasses wrote a review...



Okay. Now I see that you more of a tragedy writer than you are a humor writer. It is sort of sad. But trust me you could do better by making it a bit longer. Maybe elaborating the father's feelings when she informed him the flight was on time. Some flashbacks. More description. It would turn out awesome, trust me.




SportyWriter says...


I'm a tragicomic writer ;) If you remove MH370 from the story... then it becomes a stupid story.

I know it'd look very emotional if I elaborate but I'm trying to experiment with story-telling techniques. Thanks for reading!





yeah i totally understand. and yeah i agree about mh370...



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:26 am
Willard wrote a review...



Hey SportyWriter. Strangelove here, and I am going to give you a quick review of what I thought of this. There honestly isn't that much to the work. You rely on quick delivery and short writing. I have nothing else to say to this. It was okay on that factor. That honestly has to be the one thing I liked about this.
This whole work relies on a little thing called:

SHOCK FACTOR

Yes, shock factor hits all in this work. You obviously rely on the importance this is in the media right now. Yes, the plane went missing and there still is a huge hunt going on right now. This work attempts to hit straight in the feels. That's what all this work has going for it. "Gotta hit him, gotta be important." To be honest, I didn't really like this work. It felt flat and nothing else. Was just flat.

Good job,
Keep writing,
Stay groovy, my friend.




SportyWriter says...


Thanks a lot Strange for giving your honest opinion. This however isn't entirely my work. Actually Gaurav wanted to write a short story on it. I suggested him that we could try the 'shock factor' like you mentioned and we wrote this.

Also this was not meant to be important. It was my way to pay tribute to those families which were shattered because of that incidence. Thank you anyways!



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3874
Reviews: 158

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:52 am
Corncob wrote a review...



Nitpicks:
"Hello dad, the flight is on time."
Should be:
"Hello, Dad, the flight is on time." (Insert comma after Hello and capitalize Dad.)
"Love you, dad!" You need to capitalize dad again. Should be:
"Love you, Dad!"
The last sentence, I suggest putting a the before Beijing. I.e.:
Dad is still waiting for his angel as the MH370 flight is yet to arrive at THE Beijing airport.

The title: Flight shouldn't be capitalized. It should just be:
The flight is on time!
Thank you for your clarifying comment, I do understand what this means now. I knew about this terrible event; however I did not know people referred to it as MH370. This was very direct.
Nice job.
8/10
+1




SportyWriter says...


Thanks for commenting but I'm afraid you completely missed the point. This stlry has no humor in it. It is a tribute to all those unfortunate travellers who went missing after the MH370 flight lost contact.

This might help you...
http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queenslan ... zuqji.html




It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien