z

Young Writers Society


12+

My Only Best Friend

by AdmiralKat


Based on a True Story:

I was in panic mode. I couldn’t find him anywhere. He was missing! My dog, Batyr, was missing. My mama told me not to worry, not to search for my beloved pet. She told me that he would come back in a couple days. In the Soviet Union, that never happens. You almost never find your pet again if they run off. I was about to burst into tears, thinking about this.

I could imagine my special spaniel running around freely, his ears flapping in the cool winter wind. I loved how he stuck his pink, slobbery tongue out to taste the fresh air, as his tail was wagging wildly behind him. His beautiful black coat of fur was surely the most wonderful in the USSR. He was my dog; my most precious, perfect dog.

I found Batyr, a couple years back. Being friendless at the time, no one loved me and no one cared about me. My family was poor, so my parents could barely provide for me. I had been thinking of suicide, for there was no reason for me to be there, I was just there to make others’ lives worse. I made my parents work harder and I just took up space in the world.

When I went on a walk to think things over, I found a dog, a little over a year old. It was common to find young dogs on the cold, dark streets. These dogs appeared here because of a terrible fad. What many rich families did, was they got a newborn puppy, which were very cute. The families would love and care for it. When it grew to be a year old and isn’t as adorable anymore, they would drive to the forest, leave the dog there without food or water, and force them to fend off on their own. The clueless dogs would go back and try to find their owners, the weak ones would die off, and other, lucky dogs would live but only off the scraps of human garbage.

I brought the young dog home in hurried delight. Mama was all for keeping the spaniel. She knew that I was going through tough times and that I needed a friend to depend on and a dog was a man’s best friend, so it clearly fit the task. My papa was reluctant at first but he learned to love Batyr. He was the laughter and joy of my family, the light that shone in that old log cabin. He was the purpose, the sign that my life would have a reason.

At my school, there were kids that were really mean to me, they would always push me around, tease me and cuss at me. After school, at least once a week, the group of kids would beat me up for fun. When I come home, with dirt or mud on my ripped clothes and my glasses shattered, my mom would just nod at me and clean the mess up. Since I had no friends, no one stood up for me and I couldn’t possibly stand up for myself. That was until the day, I took Batyr on a walk.

We were walking across the school and the bullies were there standing, looking at me. Their group stood near the school playground, their headquarters. They started to shout at me, they seemed to have told me to come over there. I couldn’t do anything but do as they pleased. I was being pulled by a rope to go over there. The top bully of the gang, Victor, told me that I had to trade over my dog, or I would be pulverized. Of course, I wasn’t handing over my dog, so I refused.

Victor started to grab the bright red leash, trying to pull it away from me, it snapped into two. Batyr raced to Victor, as Victor stretched his arms out to grab him, the spaniel bit his leg. Victor shrieked and started to hop on one leg, as he tried to shake Batyr off. I let this scene play for several minutes and then whistled for my spaniel to come to me. The bullies looked in fear at me for the first time. I told them that if ever they tried to mess with me, my dog would hunt them down. The cluster of bullies never messed with me again.

As I searched for my dog, I found a path of mud tracks. Dog foot prints! I ran as fast as my legs could take me, mud was splashing all over me, but it didn’t matter how dirty that my clothes would get, I had to find Batyr. Near a brown, wrecked shack, I stopped in tracks and gasped in horror. I was petrified from the sight I saw. It had been too good to be true. I knew that he would never be found. I start crying into my muck covered shirt, the mud smearing my face. I had found my dog, kind off. The head of my dog was lying in the mud, blood streaming everywhere. I wanted to gag onto the drowning weeds right next to me that seemed to feel the same sorrow as me.

Who would do such a thing? Who would hurt such a beautiful spaniel? I put the decapitated head into my coat and rush home. Mama looked at me and told me that I was a wreck. She took off my jacket for me and gasped as she saw the dog’s head rolling onto the floor. I break into tears and ducked my head into her shoulder. She explained to me that there were some cruel people out there that would do anything for money. She told me that some fur dealers had taken the body to skin for his fur. Thousands of dogs went through the same thing every year, some like mine, were stolen pets.

Mama tried to comfort me, she told me that we would get a new dog. A dog that would be much better and he would be just like the old dog. I just shake my head, knowing that there would never be a dog as special as my Batyr. Not another dog would have the same beautiful coat. Not another dog could be able to protect me from those bullies. Not another dog could ever be such a great friend.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:29 pm
erilea wrote a review...



KatyaElefant, I think I've met and followed you. Out of pure randomness, I will post something on your wall and follow you.

I think you can do a little more showing, not telling. Perhaps say, "He knew of someone who had let his dog run off and play. The pet...never came back." What I'm saying is, do more of those, and less telling.

"You almost never find your pet again if they run off."

And in this sentence, the comma is not needed. Take it out.

"I found Batyr, a couple years back."

I had a little debate with this part. You said that no one loved this narrator, and no one cared, but then you said that your parents tried to provide for you. Doesn't that count as caring? Keep the thing realistic and don't give false information.

"Being friendless at the time, no one loved me and no one cared about me. My family was poor, so my parents could barely provide for me."

This part is a run-on sentence, way too long. I think you could make this a little les wordy, shorten it up, or make two sentences.

"She knew that I was going through tough times and that I needed a friend to depend on and a dog was a man’s best friend, so it clearly fit the task."

Again, kept this realistic. Wouldn't the teacher notice language?

"At my school, there were kids that were really mean to me, they would always push me around, tease me and cuss at me."

I think this is sudden, maybe explain a little where you were, how the place looked.

"As I searched for my dog, I found a path of mud tracks. Dog foot prints! I ran as fast as my legs could take me, mud was splashing all over me, but it didn’t matter how dirty that my clothes would get, I had to find Batyr."

This was so sad, emotional. I was racked with grief, drowning in it. I think you have great talent as a writer, keep living in the Green Room!

-wisegirl22




AdmiralKat says...


Thanks for the review. I may say somethings about the review though. Most of the things, I agree on. I kind off wanted to leave how she lost the dog as a mystery. I think that I wasn't clear at all about the parents(after I read your review), see they work all the time and never meet up with their daughter, therefore, she is lonely. Also, the mom is probably home after a long trip(maybe vacation?) One more thing, sometimes your parents aren't good friends, you need someone your age. Also, the teachers in the USSR, don't care about violence or if students are rude to each other. XD Again, thanks so much for the review!



erilea says...


Oh. Your welcs times two!



User avatar


Points: 290
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:23 am
bobiscrazy998 says...



that was such a sad story. remember the fact that your dog was the best friend you ever had not the fact that some sick person killed it.




AdmiralKat says...


This happened to my mother as a child. Imagine being only 8 and seeing this. (Though this is not as bad as some of the things she saw)





i would've cry for hours on end



AdmiralKat says...


My mother probably did, until my grandmother(or her mother) hit her on the head or spanked her to man up because they had crops to harvest.



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 55

Donate
Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:40 am
puppys3117 wrote a review...



Hello, Katya! Puppys here for another review :3 *whispers* I'm only doing this 'cause I need points o3o...

*lied*

Anywho, I have one nitpick for you, friend :P

I had found my dog, kind off.


I think you meant 'kind of'.

Wow... just wow. I think the same way about my dog when I'm in a jam. He would be on the couch, lazy as he is, and I would just put my head on him. Rusty is fluffy :D

I have also thought about commiting suicide... but then I wouldn't be reviewing now would I? ;)

Great story overall. :D

Keep calm and write on!
~puppys3117~




AdmiralKat says...


Thanks soooo much for the review(please don't kill yo self. you have so much to live for. you have all the amazingness)



puppys3117 says...


im not lol :P U BETTER NOT EITHER



AdmiralKat says...


XD I love my life too much. Plus, I know that I'll go though everything in my life. I also think that we have it much better than my mom did in the USSR.



puppys3117 says...


:)



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:23 am
Wolfi says...



:cry:

*likes*




AdmiralKat says...


0-0 *Looks at all the likes that I have gotten when I was asleep*



User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 2388
Reviews: 73

Donate
Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 pm
View Likes
Markontheworld wrote a review...



Awwwwwww jeez, such a heartbreaking story. People can be so cruel, no forget cruel this isn't even humane. Who in there right minds could stomach killing a dog never mind removing it's head, and leaving in plain sight where the owner of said would undoubtedly find it. Whoever did that was sick. Since you said this was a true story can I assume that this was your mother's story? Anyway despite the tragedy I have to say I really liked the way you put this together. It kinda had that story telling vibe to it. Like when a family member tells you a story about their past. Keep calm and write on!!! =^_^=




AdmiralKat says...


Yeah! Thanks for reviewing. (you should leave a like XD)





I just remembered that I didn't right now, ironically enough. I just clicked like before seeing you responded



AdmiralKat says...


I don't know what to think of avatar....... 0-0 It's so cute but I loved the older one. *gets split in half*



User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 797
Reviews: 89

Donate
Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:03 pm
ANADIR wrote a review...



Holy.
****
That was amazing! That story touched my heart. Great work! There were few errors, and the story protrayed the feelings of the poor main character very well. There was one grammar mistake at the end where you said "A dog that would be must more better"
Mayve you meant " A dog that would be much better."
Great work!




AdmiralKat says...


Thanks so much for reviewing. I fixed that nitpick! :D



ANADIR says...


:P




It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien