The Prophet's Daughter Excerpt

by Kilayla

Bang.

Tree after tree passed me as I ran deeper and deeper into the forest. I knew the sound that echoed around all too well – a gun had been fired. Something inside me screamed in agony, and I near collapsed then and there. My feet, however, kept thudding against the ground and carried me deeper into the forest.

There, I thought, that one is perfect. Not too far ahead from me stood a tall Sitka spruce tree, its branches low and easy for climbing if they were strong and thick enough. I would have preferred to find an oak tree, but the Sitka worked too.

Each branch I grabbed onto bent under my weight, but after some fussing and tugging, I managed to get a good ten or so feet high in the tree, huffing and puffing as I leaned against the middle of the trunk. Pain stung my wrist and I glanced down to see a branch had scratched it, the skin torn and a few beads of blood smeared across my skin

“Crap,” I muttered, wiping it against my shirt. I looked down at my black leggings, but there was nothing I could see wrong with them. No tears, no holes, just a bunch of spruce needles sticking out and agitating my skin.

Settling down on the branch and working towards picking the small needles out, I tried to think of what I was doing up in a tree in the middle of the forest. Had my parents scheduled a training session and not warned me? They didn’t often spring surprise sessions, and Mum was not the best at acting… She had seemed far too scared for her usual drill-days. No, there was something wrong, and I yearned to head back home and find out if I could help, but remembering the petrified look in my mother’s eyes kept me rooted to the spot. Something had been wrong, but what?

The hours that followed were full of impatience and more thoughts than I cared for. What if I never heard my father whistle his little tune again, or never listen to Mum’s songs as she hugged me? Or the stories, would I never hear my parents tell me about the novels they used to read? Would I never see them again?

I had been ready to run home long before nightfall, but I was stopped first by the sound of someone screaming – deep and heartbreaking. I climbed a little lower in the tree, but I did not try to leave again. I was stuck writhing in worry, waiting and hoping that the heartache I felt was not the loss of my loved ones, but just the pointless terrors I was subjecting myself to.

Another few hours, I was antsy, desperate to write off my thoughts as foolish fears by finding my parents. I didn’t care if I failed the test – I just wanted to be sure they were alive. I inched further down the tree when I caught sight of a man skulking through the woods, clutching a gun in his hand. His voice, scratchy and low, traveled to me but his words were incomprehensible. He was muttering about something, but what I did not know, and I was glad not to. I wasn’t interested in the ravings of some mad man – I was interested in knowing my mother and father were okay.

By the time nightfall came and the cold nip in the air had me shivering and curled up, flexing my fingers to keep them functioning, I had been crawled on by more bugs than I had ever needed to see. A large green caterpillar had squirmed its way up my arm, an ant tickled its way across my ankle and a jumping spider leaped on my face, scurrying away and onto the tree. After that, I couldn’t take it any longer and fled the tree. Bugs were one thing, but when spiders crawled in my hair, I’d had enough. I could still feel them minutes later, my skin tingling where they had crawled.

Sweet freedom, I thought as I pushed free of the pines and shook the needles out of my hair, running my fingers through it to make sure I had removed the little green needles. Black strands of hair and pine needles stuck to my hand, and by the time I was done I felt like I had pulled enough loose hair to make a wig and enough needles to make an, albeit uncomfortable, blanket.

I pushed away from the tree then, catching a strange scent drifting on the wind. There was something familiar to the scent, reminding me of my childhood and all of the traveling we had done. Burning wood – was there a fire? Had they set up a campfire as a reward for passing my test? Perhaps Dad had gone into the town to trade for some special treats, if the trader had any?

That’s got to be it; why else would there be a fire out here? I burst into a sprint, the idea of some sweets and the comfort that could only be provided by finding my parents alive and well keeping me going at a fast pace. Otherwise, I would have been walking, my body aching from being in almost the same position for some five hours.

As my house came into sight, I noticed the smell had grown ever stronger. In fact, it was quite a significant difference from the Sitka tree to where I had run to. There was something off about the smell, however – there was something else, not just burning wood, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on what the source was. Whatever it was, it was a foul odor. My gut told me to run, but I needed to investigate, I needed to be sure my parents were alright. They had to be, I couldn’t handle life without them.

Walking past the last few trees that separated me from the view of my house, the smell began to burn my nostrils. Whatever was burning, it wasn’t letting off the aroma of firewood. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I stared at the back door of the house, which was cracked open just enough to illuminate a sliver of the kitchen. From where I stood, everything appeared normal – but I could only see a small corner, so what did I know?

“To my room,” I breathed, whispering to myself, “and leave.” I had to follow orders; Mum could still be testing me, after all. Lifting my right leg, I pushed open the back door with my foot. The kitchen was normal, illuminated by the moonlight and nothing else – it looked like it hadn’t been touched since my departure. Had Mum and Dad not bothered to make dinner?

At the thought of dinner, my stomach rumbled and I realized how hungry I was. I hadn’t eaten since dinner the previous day, and even then I hadn’t eaten much – I’d been feeling ill. I would deal with my hunger later, once I finished the test.

I began down the hallway, suppressing the urge to gag as the smell became almost intolerable. It was horrid and my appetite was ruined right then – I had to press my hands against my mouth to keep from vomiting.

I stared at the walls then and swallowed back a scream at the sight that greeted me, my back slamming against part of the archway leading into the kitchen as I stumbled backwards, losing my balance.

Blood was everywhere in the hallway – handprints smeared across the pictures, frames that had been hanging there since long before we’d taken residence, were smashed and covered in crimson. Inside, I tried to think of what other substance the smeared handprints could be, but there was no doubting it – it was blood, and lots of it.

“Mum,” I called out, unable to keep my voice from shaking. I was terrified. Where were they? That couldn’t be their blood; it had to belong to someone else. Maybe they had been attacked by someone who was infected? That had to be it; it was the blood of some infected man.

“Mummy,” I called again, fear obvious in my tone, but no answer came, not that I was surprised. Instead I inhaled a deep breath, cringing at the horrid scent, trying to keep my breathing steady as I wracked my brain for some kind of rational explanation that didn’t involve my parents being hurt or worse, but nothing came to mind. They weren’t dead, though, they couldn’t be dead.

Living in a bungalow had its advantages. All the rooms were on one floor, and so my parents’ room was not far from where I stood. I tried to keep my gaze on the door leading to their room, but my attempt wasn’t working. I kept glancing at the wreckage of my home, the place I had lived for six years – the only permanent place we had ever stayed in, as the years before had consisted of running and living out of a tent.

I hesitated outside of my parent’s room, debating on entering, and decided better on it. I would do as ordered and go straight to my room; I had to do what they said. Perhaps it was all just an act, part of a strange test that they had devised to see how I would react if anything did happen to them. Yes, that had to be it – that was the best explanation I could think of. Maybe the blood was animal blood.

I trekked down the rest of the hall and entered my room, which was untouched and remained as it had been when I had been in it hours before, save for a few misplaced items and knocked over objects.

I must have moved my stuff, or Mum did to make this a bit of a challenge, I thought, shrugging. I reached under my bed and grabbed my red duffel bag, throwing the bow and quiver on my bed and grabbed a few outfits from my closet, my winter jacket, and a few of the ‘emergency only’ food we had stored in the top of my closet – a few water bottles and preserved non-perishables that would last a very long time. I tied a rolled up stretch of foam to the top, figuring I would use it for a bed if worse came to worse and I had no place to sleep. I packed a blanket, too.

“There we go,” I said, throwing the last bit of stuff into the bag and zipping it up. Why haven’t they come to tell me I’m finished the test yet? They must have fallen asleep… I’ll go wake them up, then I won’t get in trouble for going to sleep in the middle of a test.

I left my room and shuffled across the hall, hoping they were in their room and not hiding out elsewhere. I pushed open my parents’ door, and at first glance all was normal. Their bed was neat enough; Mum hadn’t gotten around to making it that morning. She rarely did on the days Dad went into town. I wished it had stayed normal like that, but when I looked to the right, there was a sight that would forever be burned into my brain, a sight I would never be able to put into words just how horrific of a view it was and I hoped I would never have to.

Lying propped up against the wall, which appeared to be stained black in a gradient pattern, was a corpse – chunks of its skin were charred black and a dark shade of crimson, the clothes it had once worn no longer existing; various sized holes covered its legs. Its face, however, was left almost untouched, except for a few blisters formed from the heat – its jaw remained open in what seemed to be a permanent, horrified howl of pain.

“Daddy,” I gasped, sinking to the ground. I cupped my hands over my mouth, unable to tear my gaze from the scorched body that had once been my father. It wasn’t him anymore, only the face was his – the rest was claimed by fire.

“Arin,” croaked a small, soft voice from behind me, and I turned on my heels, slow and hesitant to see the being that had just spoken my name in such a hoarse, broken voice.

“Oh my God,” I cried, falling backwards as I saw who had spoken. My mother there was no mistaking the auburn hair – what hadn’t been torn from her head – which she’d always been so fond of. Her face was swollen to about four times its normal size, large purple lumps dotting her face. I could just make out the glint of her eyes in the moonlight, her lips puffed out to the point where I was astonished that she had even been able to say my name. The rest of her body, as she bore only her underwear, was covered in blood and burns. They had been tortured and my mother had lost so much blood… It was everywhere…

“Just tell me what to do, Mummy, please. What can I do to fix you? Where are the first-aid kits?” I said, looking around for paper. I could get her to write it, that would be easier and I figured a lot less painful, what with the way her lips were, as well as the purple finger marks around her neck.

“Arin, go. Leave.” Her voice was so weak; it was hard to make out what she was saying at first.

“I can’t, I have to help you!” I protested. I couldn’t just leave her. I continued searching, tearing open her bedside table and rummaging through the drawer.

“Go, please.” She lifted a hand, pointing to her stomach. I glanced down at her stomach and noticed it - a small hole, a bullet wound – with its location; it may very well have pierced right into her stomach.

“Mummy…” I mouthed, unable to make a sound as I stared at the wound, crawling towards her. She reached out her right hand; movements slow as she began to run it along my cheek.

“My baby, my precious baby,” she sighed, trailing her fingers down my arm. As she came to my hand, I latched onto her hand, holding it tight in my grasp. I didn’t want to let go – I couldn’t.

“Love you, baby girl.” She closed her eyes and squeezed my hand. “Promise you’ll fight to keep going after we leave, okay baby?

“Forever,” I said as I squeezed her hand back. She made no movement after that, the only sound in the room was her ragged breathing. I swallowed hard, trying to keep myself from bursting into tears once more. “I promise, Mummy.”

We sat in silence and I watched her, unable to let go of her hand as her shoulders stopped rising and the sound of her shaky, harsh breathing came to a sudden halt. Her arms slumped; the only thing keeping her right hand up was me, holding it tight in my own hands.

“Mum,” I murmured, tears burning in my eyes. “Mummy, please…” I knew it was hopeless, but the ache in my chest was almost unbearable. I couldn’t hold back the tears and I leaned forwards, curling up into the fetal position and holding her hand tight to my chest, pressed against her bloodied, beaten body. I didn’t care how dirty I got, how much of her blood I would be washing from my hair – I just wanted to be with her, I just wanted her alive.

“It’s all my fault.”

5

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:09 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Therese has already pointed out the nitpicks so I'm going to focus on everything else :)

Had my parents scheduled a training session and not warned me? They didn’t often spring surprise sessions

You mention training sessions here. Now I'm curious as to what these training sessions are about and what they're for. I'm sure we'll figure that out later on, but it would be nice to know this now, right as you mention it. Since it's still fresh in the reader's mind, it's a great opportunity to take advantage and get into your character's history. It doesn't have to be super in depth either. You can just mention in passing how his (her?) parents are always setting up training sessions for [insert reason here]. Just something to cure our curiosity at the moment :)

At the thought of dinner, my stomach rumbled and I realized how hungry I was. I hadn’t eaten since dinner the previous day, and even then I hadn’t eaten much

I find this very hard to believe. He hasn't eaten since dinner the night before and he's only getting hungry now? I feel like he would most definitely be hungry way before this.

So, your MC is a girl, huh? Why do I always get these things wrong...?

Now, this'll be a bit hard for me to give you the best review since I'm not sure what part of the novel this excerpt comes from. But I will do the best I can :)

Your MC is quite a brave character. It was interesting watching her react to the elements that she runs into. There is a lot that happens here in this chapter and it's interesting how she reacts. It's obvious to me that she has gone through things like this before, and not just because she says her parents stage tests like this often. It's the way she reacts that really shows me how much she's dealt with these kind of things. She isn't scared or afraid. Instead, she's articulate and plans every little step she makes. It's interesting to watch and I can't wait to learn more about her.

You've done a good job here with all of your descriptions. I know exactly where this takes place and what your MC's house looks like. I also know what the setting is like. Your MC is also quite strong, like I've mentioned, and I like how you describe everything to us through her. Obviously you had to because this is written in first person. But there are different ways that authors explain things. You do a great job of showing us what's going on as well as telling us what and why. It's a good balance and really comes together well :)

If you write any more of this, let me know! I'd love to read more!

**Noelle**

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 pm
ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review! :D

WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!

WOW, what a way to get us interested! You threw us straight into the action, while keeping up on description, and emotion. Not to mention I like your narrator/main character way of narrating. Seems free-style and yet very precise and strong.

I felt extremely curious all throughout the piece, as this is the beginning and I have absolutely NO idea what is going on! I don't mean, that you didn't explain the scene well, but you are giving us a small taste of what this story is, but not giving away everything. And that is a VERY good beginning for a prologue/excerpt.

[Before I go gaga over this, I'll do my best to help you out! :D]

Typo

Something inside me screamed in agony, and I nearly collapsed then and there.

I put the spot in red! :P

Typo

across my skin

You forgot a period for the end of this sentence.

Each branch I grabbed onto bent under my weight, but after some fussing and tugging, I managed to get a good ten or so feet high in the tree, huffing and puffing as I leaned against the middle of the trunk.

Hmm, not exactly a nitpick, but more like a comment.

I'm noticing that this sentence is a bit long. Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it would be a good thing to make sure you don't do too long of sentences in the future. Normally, you want to keep the attention of the reader complete throughout the entire sentence, but if it get's too long, there's always the slight chance that you won't. :D

I spotted some possible redundancy. I put it in red! :D They just seemed to stick out to me, and that's something I've learned to always avoid when doing description, unless you're going for purposeful repetition.

I glanced down at her stomach and noticed it - a small hole, a bullet wound – with its location; it may very well have pierced right into her stomach.

Hmmm, if the bullet hole is in her stomach then that would mean that it pierced right into her stomach, right? Either I'm reading this wrong (which I tend to do a lot) or it needs to be re-phrased a bit.

Also make sure you have the caliber of the gun match up with the size of the hole in her stomach. Some bullets expand, and others don't. So always make sure you have that right, because somebody might just catch on to it, if it's wrong in any way. :D

‘emergency only’

When trying to draw attention to a certain word or phrase, the best thing to do is use italics. They always stick out, and they look natural besides! :D

OK, and that would be my end of nitpicks for now.

My main question is really what this test is? Especially after finishing the work, I learned that it was her parents who is putting her through it. parents have odd tendencies, don't they? :P

Anyway, I'm just curious about it, as I didn't really understand how it was such a big test to spend the night in a tree. But then of course, this test may have been founded, on trying to test your show of obedience and will power. [I'm just thinking aloud right now :P] Just super curious!

This relationship between the girl and the mother is super! I like how you created that seemingly special moment between the two. It was like they were in their own little circle, while the mother said good-bye to her little girl. For a beginning like this, I felt that, that was super. It's always best to put a lot of emotion into your chapter/prologue/excerpt.

Is this the First Chapter, or is it a prologue? Or is it just a bit that you took out of the middle somewhere? Just wondering...

OK, that's all from me! Hope this little bit helped you, and let me know when you post next, as I'd be more than happy to read and hopefully review more! :D

~Cricket

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
— Patrick Star