z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Heroism Essay

by AdmiralKat


What makes someone a hero? Is it saving lives, acting in a moment, speaking out, or sacrificing your life to fight for others? Can it be a superhero or can it be more common such as your relatives, friends or pets? Some people can be kind and courageous but only some get credit for it. This makes it hard to identify what a true hero is. True heroism is when someone is courageous, charitable and understanding of others.

True heroism involves someone being courageous. Being courageous is not being afraid to stand up to help others. For example, Gandhi, a peaceful Indian protestor stood up for the Indians when they were rebelling against the caste system. This was a system when there was higher and lower classes. There was even a class called the “Untouchables” who did all the upper class’s dirty work. Gandhi found this unfair because it doesn’t matter what class you were born in, it is the character that you develop over time. Officers arrested Gandhi for protesting against the caste system, their usual daily life. Gandhi showed courage when he stood up for what he believed in, even if it gave him a criminal record. If you are a cowardly person, then you can’t have the courage to stand up for what you believe in. This quality is necessary if you want to be a true hero.

A hero has to be charitable or they wouldn’t want to save others. To be charitable you have to have room in your heart to help others in need. You must think of others before yourself. Mother Teresa was one of history’s most charitable people. She started many missionaries to help the poor and made homes for people who were seriously injured or dying. If you are greedy, then you wouldn’t want to risk your life to save others because you would have to put yourself in danger. Being charitable is one of the most important aspects of heroism.

Heroism involves a person that understands the situation others are in. This means that you want to help the people to get out of whatever situation they are in or to prevent them from getting in an even worse situation. According to Piece 1 (pg. 48 in our Spring Boards; by Ara’s son, Adam); Adam is worried about his mother because she has cancer. Adam’s mother stays tough for her family because she understands that her family is worried about her but she doesn’t want them to be so worried that it affects their daily life. If you don’t understand someone else’s situation, then you aren’t able to help them. Understanding one another is how we have the power to be generous.

When you stay strong for someone, donate five dollars to a local charity or save someone from a fire you are acting like a true hero. You see people in your everyday life acting like heroes. Your local news studio doesn’t get everyone’s heroism because there is so much of it! True heroism is when someone is courageous, charitable and understanding of others. Who in your life is a true hero?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:55 pm
megsug wrote a review...



Hey Kayta~
What a cute essay. I think it has a lot of potential

My main issue is you kind of point out in your first paragraph that everyone can be a hero, but then two out of three of your examples aren't normal people at all. I think you should perhaps look for examples in your own life and in your classmate's lives first to tell as anecdotes. It would be much easier to believe you when you say "You see people in your everyday life acting like heroes" if you actually gave us everyday examples.

My second issue is that you oversimplify the reasons and virtues behind heroism. A coward can be a hero. They can give an anonymous donation. That way they support a cause and give it money to continue without marring their own name. Greedy people can be heroes. Greed in the real world is never like the Scrooge from A Christmas Carol. People who are greedy normally have a few people who they're close to and would do anything for. If not, there are ways to be greedy and be a hero. There are ways to be a hero and to make a profit. I think you need to avoid the grand statements like:

A hero has to be charitable or they wouldn’t want to save others.

or
If you don’t understand someone else’s situation, then you aren’t able to help them.

or
This quality is necessary if you want to be a true hero.

Generalizations like these don't make it any easier for your reader to believe what you're saying. As a writer, you have to acknowledge the fact that everyone is different, and everyone has their own way to be a hero.

I think this is a good start for an essay. I think it needs to be fleshed out and some points need to be reconsidered, but every piece has a first draft.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, lemme know.

Keep writing,
Megs~
Image




User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:39 am
Vervain wrote a review...



Hello again, darling!

First of all, I think you have a decent hook on this essay - typically, a question is a safe way to go when starting an essay, as it forces the reader to think and contemplate their own world. You let the reader have their own moment before you define what heroism means to you, and you allow them to form an opinion before stating yours, which is usually a good thing, unless you're some kind of cult leader.

However, I find myself wondering at your essay when it goes into the first body paragraph. You pick one subject and focus on it for the entirety of the paragraph, barely pausing at the end to tie your Gandhi anecdote into the main body of the essay; if it weren't for the last two sentences, honestly, it would look like you just started talking about Gandhi for the hell of it. Another thing to keep in mind is that no one is perfect, and it's very hard to take your references seriously when I also know that Gandhi was extremely racist; he was indeed brave, and he made a large step in progressing India past the caste system, but that by no means makes him a perfect person, nor truly hero material.

Also, I believe that there's a logic gap in your second body paragraph when you state that if someone is greedy, they wouldn't want to risk their life to save others. Greedy people will risk their life, if there's a promise of a grand reward at the end, and that's something that many of them use to excuse their greedy actions - "but I did something good once!"

I do agree with the majority of your essay here, however, especially considering the heart and soul of true heroism as a discussion topic. I believe that with a bit of polishing, this could be much better and rounded.




User avatar
87 Reviews


Points: 5984
Reviews: 87

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 am
View Likes
Alchemist wrote a review...



Hello, I'm here to do a review(duh xD).

I like the theme you picked, it is quite mature, yet it might be overlooked. It's just an everyday thing, this heroism you speak about, and it's absolutely beautiful.

So yeah the first source is awesome, wide-known. Ghandi sure was a hero, and he accomplished something great. Maybe some of the things you said were somewhat childish there (like Ghandi getting a criminal record- I mean, who on earth would have been thinking about it at all? :D) they weren't neccesairly bad. Even that, since it's from a perspective of a young human being, is what makes it beautiful. Your example of courage is great.

Well, I kinda felt you didn't work with being charitable too much. :P I mean, I think it's more important than being courageous. Sharing, loving and helping is beautiful. If you have it, then sure you would have had courage to stand up for those you protect, right? But it's okay. :)

The third example was weird, I mean I've got no idea what were you actually talking about, but It was a cool example nevertheless. I liked it, and it just felt somehow sad, reading it there. Understanding others. Wonder if I have that? I believe every human is thinking about it, right?

Nice essay, I mean, It could use much, much more work, but for an eight grader, it is really cool, and since I doubt you will work on this anymore, I think it was rather nice. You were writing about a big, important thing, and did it fine for a school project! :)

-Alchemist




AdmiralKat says...


XD i barely edited this essay what so ever



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:48 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello, Kataya, Wolf here for a fabulous review :D

So, scrolling through the forest of the Green Room, I found this magical piece and decided, eh, why not? On to the reviewing! *for Team Aqua!!*

One thing that really bugs me in the beginning, is your use of 'it' in the second sentence. So what, people don't have genders now? Can't you just say 'they'? Usually 'it' is used in cases of things that have no gender. If you have to, use gender neutral pronouns like xer or s/he.

Okay, so I can understand the formatting of essays that we have to make in school, with the thesis sentence at the end of the introduction and stating your first reason at the beginning of the body paragraph and bla, bla, bla. Try avoid being so repetitive and you can even try rephrasing it so that it still follows the format.

Alright, in the second body paragraph you mention that "being charitable is one of the most important aspects of heroism", but you don't explain why. Sure you give us an example of someone being charitable, and why uncharitable people can't be heros, but you don't tell why it is important. Try expanding on that more.

I really like your call to action in the end. I know that that is something that a lot of people struggle to put in, but you do it really well. However, you loose the formatting of the actual paper then (tsk, tsk), but that's alright. I still find it very factual and you didn't loose sight of your purpose. Good Job! Happy Review Day and Keep Writing,
~Wolfare

Image





You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus