Why the Clouds Go By

by SkyeWalker

Do you know why clouds go by?

Why twinkles scattered in sky

Never fade, nor fly away?

Always grounded in the light of day?

.

Do you see the reason why

The wind howls on the darkest night?

Why the earth rumbles and rolls,

Why the death count takes it's toll?

.

The horrors of the battlefield

Strewn out for all to see,

The ruins of the oldest city

Marked as ancient history

.

Incomprehensible urges pushed them forward

To do terrible deeds.

But this was all in the past,

Why do we care today?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:25 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here, late but still here!

I told you I would review the other piece, but I stared at it for a long time and wondered what say, typed out a few words, and then deleted it. I couldn't review it, and I don't know why, but there it is!

Onto this review!

I really liked this poem and loved its flow. Your poem's always seem to carry such a powerful message, and its so wonderful seeing poems with a message you can see in the lines, and revel in its power. I truly love these kind of works, those with not just a message in them, but also a moral. a vision of the future, and a sad eye for the past. When you described the ruins, I didn't think of marble halls. I thought of a metaphorical palace, something in the past, like someone's heart--someone's mind. Or perhaps an infrastructure, a powerful team that crumbled to the ground like Ancient Rome. I really enjoyed reading this.

Do you see the reason why

The wind howls on the darkest night?

So at first, when I was reading this through, I read it like a rhyming poem--because that was how everything was! The poem was rhyming all the way through. But then as you went on, it started to veer from that and go towards another poem style--non rhyming. You seem to veer from style to style, as if not being sure if you want to rhyme or not. Well, I think you should either rhyme or don't rhyme. So find a rhyming scheme and stick to it.

Do you know why clouds go by?

Reading through this poem, I felt as though every question needed to be answered. Every question built up to something in this poem, the question mark at the end adding a haunting feeling to the words---like the author was lost. But remember: you asked a question? Do we know? Even though most people would understand, or at least some people, you need to present an answer for every question you ask. It's almost like completing the arc of your poem. It started here in doubt, and ended there with answers.

Incomprehensible

I thought that this word, incomprehensible isn't the right word for this poem. While it may express perfectly what you want to put across, saying just what you need, the word itself is too long and makes the reader focus on pronouncing the word itself rather than flowing all the way through--not stopping for anything, but focusing on the message behind.

All in all, I thought this was very well done. I liked the usage of imagery in this poem, really. There wasn't a lot of it--not much at all, in fact. I would call this more of a narrative poem, really--but I think it just added more to the message and allowed the reader to focus on what was important here. The message inside these words. The poem told what you meant, and it came across as beautiful, but not in an imagery-filled way, but more like the sad story you wove was the beautiful part, and the simple words helped me see that better in both my mind and eyes.

My favorite line would have to be this one:

Always grounded in the light of day?

That line said a lot to me, and not just because of the imagery there, but because of what it means. grounded was a very good choice of words, because not only does daylight dispel whatever fear of the darkness we have--until darkness comes back, that is. Then its as fresh as ever--but it allows us to find what we want to hang onto. And I though it was also veering off into the metaphorical light--the light of your spirit and soul, if you will. Grounded in that, or someone else's spirit. Whichever way I interpret it, the line is still amazingly beautiful.

Good job, like really.
~Darth Timmyjake

wtppowers wrote a review...

Hey, teammate! It's Mr. Powers here for another fun and exciting review. Today, I'm going to look at your poem, simply titled "Why The Clouds Go By". This is going to be a stanza-by-stanza thing, so please be patient.

Stanza 1:You're stating the question this poem asks. Why do clouds move? But then it appears you start asking about stars, and why they never move and why they disappear in the daytime.

Stanza 2: You then ask why the wind is so furious at night. Ten you question the purpose of earthquakes, and why people die from it.

Stanza 3: This is possibly my favorite stanza. It's a homage to war and history. Why do we preserve things from the past? Like Gettysburg, and Ancient Athens. It's simple.

Stanza 4: This is a bit of a question mark. So, you're asking "Why do we care about what happened yesterday?", am I right?

In the end, this poem seems to be a big middle finger to history. I'm probably wrong about that, but give me a break; my mind's in the wrong place. I noticed a few errors in your punctuation and wording, but the other people seem to have touched on that already.

In the end, this gets a thumbs-up. Keep up the good work!

Ossum wrote a review...

Hey there, Ossum here for an pretty Awesome review. :D

So, this poem is really how do you put it, I don't want to say deep because well, it isn't deep in that kinda way. It is more of a search for some answer you want to know more of. It is curious, insightful even. Heck, it even peeked my interest a bit. But I do feel it could be expanded upon.

Here's how, you ask us all these questions. Such as the clouds, the wars, past and present. Why things are the way they are and as readers we do ask ourselves that question as we are reading it. In our heads you did very well of keeping the attention of our minds, and forcing us to see what you were describing and picturing what it was your were asking.

But then it ends you see. It's almost like we were thrown a bone and couldn't see where the owner was to play fetch. Poems like this... they are meant to be reread and read again to try and discern the answer from between the lines. When poems are about discovery of self or of an answer that can only be answered by faith alone, it needs explanation. Not in the sense you explain outright, then you fail to let us reread it because you gave an answer.

No I believe what would make this absolutely perfect is the practice of making the answer come alive in between the lines. It something that will let the reader go from, "That was a good poem. I enjoyed reading that." and then move on to the next one with a vague remembrance of what they had just thought about. Instead, you would leave the reader going, "Wait, but on this line... and here it says..." an they read it again, and the images stick and the thoughts remain intact and pieces of puzzles that they didn't even know they knew start growing. And then they get a want, and that's how you keep your audience.

Don't get me wrong now, I think this is a very good piece. But I am Ossum Possum, and all of us Possum's love to get into every crevice of a good thing. You got potential with an intelligence like that, keep it up. Can't wait to read more of your work.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:32 am
WittyUsernameHere wrote a review...

Nicely done, these are questions no really asks but is always thinking - it's quite insightful, and has some neat philosophy :) Though, did the poem move from aabb to free style? I feel like at the end of the second stanza, the poem subtly changed into free form style. I was slightly confused for a moment there actually!

Oh well, lovely poem! Hope to see more ♥

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:48 am
LanguidLiger wrote a review...

The classic question we ask of humanity. Why must we document our deeds? A more cynical answer to the wuestion would be that if the wrong peiple were in control history would lend them a hand. That is to say that unless humanitys collective consciousness is sociopathic (which it is not) individuals must keep their wits about them, being aware of their surroundings. Unfortunately individuals are sociopsthic, and being fearless, they are often the ones who harness our might. Not quite as perpetual ad say the wind and the earth, as you disguss here, but to us it means everything. This poem was very interesting as it spoke of some things which we dont question and rarely need to document, the laws of physics, and then the ones we can, and are aware of, but which we only recall, and dont actually recall from the fore. Interesting story, hope you liked the interpretation and if you have any conflicting veiws I would be happy to discuss them. Keep writing (:

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins