Time of Death (Prologue)

by catcha01

Do you know how does it feel to wake up every morning, knowing that you’re going to die. I don’t mean die as in its inevitable, everyone dies. I mean die as in you know the exact date, the exact time, the exact way.

No, of course you answer back with a no. You humans are so ignorant. You travel through life knowing you’re going to die, but pay no mind to the inevitability of it. None of you realize what death really is, you think that its crossing over into paradise. It isn’t. Death is relative like time. What if I told you that time and death were linked infact they were mirror images of each other.

There's only one difference. One is recognized fondly among the living, while the other is prevented. Yet there is a group of us, those who have no choice, but to accept death simply because we are death. We are an embodiment of the thing feared by all, the thing hated by all.

We have no cool name that when announced makes someone shudders, infact there is no knowledge of our existence. We walk among people, we walk among shadows, and most importantly we walk among graves. There is just one draw back, our time on Earth is limited and there is only one that can travel back with us, become a slave themselves. So as they warned me I’ll remind you: Never get attached.

First Impression: Well..this was not quite what I was expecting with that title, but well, I was most definitely very pleasantly surprised by the premise here, and I think this could make for a pretty cool story here.

Well, that definitely seems like the sort of thing that would most definitely way on the mind of most mortal beings there if you're going to be knowing the exact date and even the actual time that the death is going to happen at. At any rate, this is a very interesting little start here to this story..it definitely gets your attention right away here.

Okay...first of all, bold of you to assume everyone reading this is a human...but uhh jokes aside...this is definitely a very strong statement here to have a prologue start off with,we've got ourselves that appears to be quite experienced with death and is just about to drop some proper facts on what death truly is...and that's quite interesting soo...let's see how this goes here.

Oooh, well that is interesting, it looks like this is something from the perspective of literal death..or ghosts or something along those lines and that in general just sounds like an awesome premise here, especially the way they talk of being hated by a lot of folks and how they have to accept death because of that...it definitely sounds very intriguing here.

Okay...well, this ends off on potentially the most scary note of the whole prologue and I think that's a great choice there, ending with a warning like that, especially in a prologue always seems to lend itself quite well to making readers really want to read on, and well it certainly works on me...:D

Overall: Overall, quite a solid prologue that you've got right here, definitely got my attention pretty much right away and this seems like it could be a pretty cool story here.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:00 pm
ahollander wrote a review...

Okay so overall very good start. However, I agree with some of the other reviewers, the first sentence is off. As another reviewer suggested, lose the "does" and change feel to feels. I really did enjoy this piece, and I would love to read more. The concept is so unique, and I'm very intrigued by it. Well that's all I have to say, keep up the good work! :)

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 pm
Lord Anzius wrote a review...

Do you know how does it feel to wake up every morning, knowing that you’re going to die. I don’t mean die as in its inevitable, everyone dies.

The first sentence is a bit off. Think about dropping the "does" and replacing"feel" with "feels".
The second sentence sounds/feels a bit weird. I have some ideas on how to make it flow better but I think it seems like such an important sentence that I dare not dabble with it. Read it aloud, focusing also on the punctuation. Construct the sentence so that the reader doesn't feel hindered by the sentence, this is to say the sentences should "flow".

Death is relative like time. What if I told you that time and death were linked[bold][italic]?[/bold][/italic] infact they were mirror images of each other.

Questions end with a question mark. Even if you want to continue that sentence it would have needed some punctuation.

We have no cool name that when announced makes someone shudders, infact there is no knowledge of our existence.

Try replacing the word "cool" with something else. I'm not sure if there was a reason for you using the word "cool" here but it somehow changed the mood of the text. I suggest using a thesaurus when you write, as many authors do.

I would also advice you to read up on punctuation. I remember that this was something that a moderator on YWS told me when I was younger. Punctuation is key.

This work was very good. I liked the tone and the mood of the text. I will be interested to read the rest of this work as you post more.
Have fun writing :D

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:25 am
EgTucks wrote a review...

wow, this is a great opening. It had me hooked from the very first line. I think this is a very interesting idea, definitely a first. This piece shows some originality and the idea is very unique. One of my favorite lines was, " Death is relative like time." It is very simple yet it is really complex at the same time. For the line, " We are an embodiment of the thing feared by all, the thing hated by all." All i suggest is to maybe replace the word 'thing' with something else, but again just a suggestion. Great job and keep up the good work!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 pm
Lucia wrote a review...

This sounds like it will be a very interesting read. I see you are going to try developing a "theory" about time and death, and I'm curious to know what it is.

I don't know if you were actually submitting this to be improved, or just to introduce your story, but I'll review it anyway.
I noticed that you need to polish off your use of punctuation, and watch out for overly long sentences.

"No, of course you answer back with a no." I would put a period after the first "no", and capitalize "of".
"What if I told you that time and death were linked infact they were mirror images of each other." This is how I would write the sentence: "What if I told you that time and death were linked? That in fact, they were mirror images of each other?" I separated the sentences just to even it out a little.
"We have no cool name that when announced makes someone shudders, infact there is no knowledge of our existence." Here is how I would write that one: " We don't have a cool name, that, when announced, makes you shudder. There is no knowledge of our existence whatsoever." I just added punctuation here and there. I also thought you might have used "in fact" a bit too much.

Overall, you just need to polish it off a little, and go over your sentences. I can't wait to read your story!
Keep on writing!!!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 pm
wunmi wrote a review...

Firstly, I think there may be an error in the first sentence

"Do you know how does it feel to wake up every morning"

It doesn't really make sense to me. Anyway i think this could actually be intresting if its led on correctly. the fist three pharagraphs really got me intrigued, the iea behind it was like nothing i've read before so it intrested me. The last paragraph i didn't really like i felt like it was leading the story into the direction of it being a romance. this kind of made me weary of the story. i don't think people mind reading books that are slightly romantic but i think it's better to gently lead people into it so they don't think of the story as another romance. if they do less attention would be given to the picture of the world you would paint around them and every character would be the potential romantic lead. I think it would be better if you first get your readers to understand the world you've placed your characters in and your main character(s) before hinting there could be a possible romance.
other than that I think this could shape to be a really good novel

One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.
— Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex