z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Writer's Hand

by EgTucks


A writer's hand can feel discredited at times,

the mind always seems to take the spotlight away.

It comes up with stories and rhymes,

while the hand just follows what the writer wants to say.

The writer’s hand lives in the shadow of the mind,

never once appreciated for the work its done.

The hand decided to leave the writer behind,

good luck with the writing!” the hand says poking fun.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:54 pm
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...



Good day there good madam/sir! You have had the misfortune to write a piece just in my genre, so apologies if I seem a little harsh at all.
I'll take it line by line if I may, offering criticism as I go...

"A writer's hand can feel discredited at times,"
I would replace "can feel" with "feels" but it is not particularly important and it's just my impression.
"the mind always seems to take the spotlight away."
change the period for a comma
"It comes up with stories and rhymes,"
Decapitalize "It" and add the conjunction "for"
"while the hand just follows what the writer wants to say."
Place "is" after "hand" and "the scribe for" rather than "follows".
"The writer’s hand lives in the shadow of the mind,"
rather than "in the shadow of" I recommend "overshadowed by".
"never once appreciated for the work its done."
instead "never appreciated for it's endless chore."
"The hand decided to leave the writer behind,"
This line is fine. You might want to change "writer" to "mind" though for internal rhyme.
"“good luck with the writing!” the hand says poking fun."
change to"shouts "Good luck with the writing!" as he leaves through the door.

I suggest this because the last rhyme seems forced.
I apologize if this is a harsh review, and remember most of these things are just my opinions, no need to take them for gospel.
Anyway, hope this helps,
Take That You Fiend!




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:30 pm
View Likes
erilea wrote a review...



Just one thing, "good luck with the writing!" should be "Good luck with the writing!" And also, "the hand says poking fun" should be "the hand says, poking fun". This title captured me, though, and you have great potential. Find what works best for you. I'll follow you! :D



Random avatar
EgTucks says...


will do thank you ! :)



User avatar


Points: 345
Reviews: 1

Donate
Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 pm
DeVonnaMichelle says...



I enjoyed this very much. It was funny but also kind of an insight as to how much the hand helps in the writing process.
I do have to say that I would like to see it be more serious with tiny funny lines in it rather than it be serious and then have that one funny line at the end, but it is not my literature.
I hope to read more from you
Never stop writing.



Random avatar
EgTucks says...


thanks!:)



User avatar
208 Reviews


Points: 830
Reviews: 208

Donate
Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm
rhiasofia wrote a review...



Hello, rhia here to review!

This is cute! It was sweet and funny, nice to read something light when a lot of the stuff here is so heavy. I do have some technical mistakes to point out, however.

A writer's hand can feel discredited at times,

There shouldn't be an apostrophe between "writer" and the "s". Remember, apostrophe means contraction, not possesion. Right now, you're technically saying "A writer is hand" which makes no sense, y'know?

The writer’s hand lives in the shadow of the mind,

Same exact thing here, just take out the apostrophe.

never once appreciated for the work its done.

Alright, so here, you're trying to say "it has", so now you need that apostrophe. Put it right after "it", right before the "s", and you have a lovely contraction for "it has"

good luck with the writing!” the hand says poking fun.
Here, the G in good luck needs to be capitalized, because the quotation would be the beginning of a sentence and all that jazz. Quotations have their own little grammar quirks.
Also, you really need a omma after "the hand says".




User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 7153
Reviews: 133

Donate
Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:46 am
ChipsMcCoy wrote a review...



Hey, Chips here with a review. Welcome to YWS also!

I thought this was a cute poem, the concept you had of the "writer's hand" and the relationship between the had and mind, as oppose to the writer themselves was an interesting idea. The formatting worked well, but I would suggest breaking up the words a bit more so the poem looks less like a paragraph.

"A writer's hand can feel discredited at times,

the mind always seems to take the spotlight away."

I liked this opening, it was giving a statement. The comma works fine but I think perhaps a semicolon after, "times" would have also worked well.

"The writer’s hand lives in the shadow of the mind,

never once appreciated for the work its done."

I liked this part because you began to use imagery. You didn't use very much imagery in your poem as a whole. You needed to show more rather than tell, it would make your poem even more effective. Maybe expand more of the hand hiding behind the shadow and the relationship between the mind and hand more.

"The hand decided to leave the writer behind,

“good luck with the writing!” the hand says poking fun."

This was a cute ending. I would have liked to see more humor included in the poem, as the ending was the only part which incorporated humor into it.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this poem. Hope this review helped. Keep writing!

--Chippy





Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
— Henry David Thoreau