z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Dear Moon

by SARAHJO


Dear Mr. Moon,

I'm sorry not many of us have taken the time to thank you.

You're there when the darkness overtakes our mind and soul.

It shrouds over us like a black cloud, and brings fear.

but you're there to scare it away,

and for that, I thank you.

You listen to what I have to say,

you know my darkest secrets.

You see everything I do,

you hold my deepest memories,

but you never tell a soul, not even the stars.

You don't look at me with shame or disappointment,

you don't judge me with harsh words,

and for that, I thank you.

When I feel abandoned or lost, you're there.

When I feel hopeless or scared, you're there.

There is never a time I feel alone, even when I am,

and for that, I thank you.

It saddens me to know that not many others pay heed to your being.

It saddens me to know that your existence is of little relevance to people.

But to me, you're the most important one out there,

and you treat everyone the same way,

and for that, I thank you.

When the night comes to an end, and the sun rises above the mountain,

I raise my hand to wave goodbye, until we meet again.

Though I'm sad to see you leave, and a tear trickles down my cheek,

I know it won't be long until you're high and bright in the sky,

Ready to hear my greatest adventures, and silently listen until my eyes grow tired.

And although I, nor anyone else in the universe can say it enough,

Mr. Moon, I thank you.

It's pretty self explanatory, and maybe just a tad too simple. I wrote this when I was in the fifth grade and just recently found it in some old boxes. Thought I'd play around with it. I'm also not very accustomed to writing poems (At all) so any criticism you have is taken with much appreciation! :)

-SARAHJO


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 286
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:35 am
View Likes
lallorona wrote a review...



I really like this poem, it reminds me of when I first started writing and I wrote something about the moon. I feel like I can relate to a lot of the things you thank the moon for. I'm also very thankful for the moon. I feel like you could put a few metaphors in here as Chip was saying too. Over all I love this poem but it is pretty simple, but I'm guessing you went for that feeling.
- llorona




SARAHJO says...


Thank you so much for reviewing. Sometimes, the biggest things are just so underrated, so I decided to write the moon a thank you letter. Though I'm glad you liked it! :)



User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 7153
Reviews: 133

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:36 am
View Likes
ChipsMcCoy wrote a review...



Hello, Chips here with a review.

I liked the concept of the moon you have here, it can always be taken through interesting paths and interpretations. I liked how you personified the moon and confided in it. It can be interpreted as spiritual as these thanksgivings could be said in form of a prayer also perhaps.

I felt that the formatting could be improved upon, the sentences were all written together as one which made it look as if the poem is dragging and very long. The formatting is up to you but I would suggest it be written in stanzas or in equal line length.

You have a slight lack of punctuation and grammar which can be improved upon also, but it may be intentional for poetry.

"I'm sorry not many of us have taken the time to thank you,

You provide us with the light that we use to see through the darkness,

It shrouds over us like a black cloud, and brings fear,"

Here, you needed to add full-stops at the end of the sentences the commas imply this is all one line which becomes confusing. The second line was nice but it was phrased quite directly, it would be even better if you used more poetic language to express the light the moon provides, perhaps using a metaphor?

"But you're there to shoo it away,"

There was something awkward about thing line, I think its the word "shoo" maybe replacing it with another adjective similar to that?

"Mr. Moon, I thank you."

This was a nice ending, but a small nitpick here. You began the letter as, "Dear Moon" but ended it as, "Mr. Moon" so maybe using one of those for the beginning and end of the letter?

Overall good job. Hope this review helped. Keep writing!

--Chippy




SARAHJO says...


Alright, I have applied some of the corrections. Thank you so much, you've been a big help!



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 812
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:47 pm
View Likes
DeltaEcho wrote a review...



Hello there, Sarahjo! This poem is really good. Also, I don't think this poem is too simple. If anything, I think it has a lot of detail, although that may just be me. I love how you write that you tell the moon all of your secrets, and that you are glad that Mr. Moon doesn't tell anyone or anything. To me, this poem makes it seem as if the moon is a real person, not just an object in the sky. Another thing that I really like about this is that it seems as though you really care for the moon, unlike others, as it says in poem. Again I say, this is a really great poem, and so I have decided to click the little like star up in the corner, and to click the follow button. Good job!




User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 607
Reviews: 65

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:48 pm
View Likes
wtppowers wrote a review...



Hey, Sarahjo! It's Mr. Powers here, with another fun and exciting review! Today, I'm going to look at your poem, "Dear Moon".

The first part is pretty simple. You thank the moon for being bright and protects us from the evil and dark night sky.

The next part is a bit spiritual and psychedelic. You thank the moon for being a friend. You confide in it, and tell him whatever's on your mind. And the best part about that is that it'll never tell anyone else.

You then thank the moon for being there when you need someone.

After that, you recognize that other people don't think about the moon like you do. They take Mr. Moon for granted, but your treat it as a friend. And it treats everyone equally, and doesn't discriminate.

As the poem closes, you tell the moon that you'll miss it, and that you're sad whenever it leaves. But you know that it'll be back shortly.

As for the note at the end, I don't think it's too simple. You don't have to make excuses for it. I like this poem. It's certainly better than anything I've posted to YWS. So please, keep up the good work!




SARAHJO says...


Awww, thank you so much! Usually, all the poems I've read are all so heartfelt and fancy, and everyone puts so much effort into them. I literally just pulled this out of my past and posted it without a second thought, and I don't know. It just seems so childish to me. But thanks again! :)




Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala