Ehléwin

by alexandertomasin

Her voice was full of pain and despair, but she could not hear it...to her it was just a song she had known since forever. The man in front of her though, was listening with an ill look; his mouth and nose started bleeding and tears began to roll across his face towards his trembling chin. His eyes were soon empty as he was lying dead at her feet. She felt no pity or sadness...the only thing she could feel was remorse. Once the man's breath stopped her song ended. She had no intention of using this foul gift of hers against him, but the idiot had been reaching for his knife so she had no choice but to defend herself.

The other people in the inn looked terrified and barely had the courage to whisper about the horrifying sound they had just heard and the strange death of the woman's attacker.

She looked up at the crowd and felt like she was about to faint. She gathered few strength that was left in her body and started speaking with a soft, yet firm voice:

"It is not my intent to harm any of you and it is not in your interest to put yourself in harm's way. What you saw was an act of self-defense and just a taste of what I am capable of. All I want is a hot meal and a warm bed to rest as most of you so please, leave me be."

A tall man in his mid-forties stood up and walked towards the center of the room. He had long gray hair, cold blue eyes and an overall raggedy look. He was wearing a black handled long-sword and his scars were a sure sign that he was not afraid to use it. He was walking with the ease of the wind and his steps were so light that you could not hear the sound of the boots on the wooden floor.

"Turn back to your plates and mugs. There's nothing more to see and mind my words, this did not happen."

He approached the woman only now realizing that she was beautiful. She had pale skin, dark hair, yellow cat-like eyes and her lips were blood red. Her skin was velvet soft and there were no features that one could tell her age by. She was wearing a blue satin cloak, black leather boots and on her left hand index finger a silver ring with a black pyramid shaped rock. As the man approached her, she felt a wave of warmth taking over her body along with a feeling of safety and comfort.

"My name is Dalomir milady. You are a ráke, i knew it since you stepped in, and if you wonder how and also why you suddenly feel warm please let me introduce myself properly."

Dalomir's voice changed sounding like a thunder and his eyes turned white while he lifted from the ground.

"I am Dalomir, descendant of the house of Harkens, bearer of the Mark and guardian of the Old Law."

Nobody besides the woman he was talking to seemed to have noticed what happened to Dalomir. She was sure now that she would not have to use her power anymore as long as this strange man was looking out for her. He was a Guardian of Old and a nobleman. As a bearer of the Mark, very few would have the courage to stand against him.

"They call me Ehléwin. Thank you for your aid sir."

At the sound of her name Dalomir froze. He did not expect to ever meet her of all the rákes.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:24 pm
wunmi wrote a review...

I really like this story, it was the title that drew me in, it seemed like a name to me but the name was unusual enough to set my curiosity flaring. I think it’s an unusual piece and it certainly does match its name in that sense. It a bit to short, usually when a story is short it adds to its mystery and though the reader didn’t get every bit of information they wanted they still like the story because it lets their mind to explore all the different possibilities there is, this applies especially for writers I think. What I said above applies to this story, its short length gives the story a sense of mystery and allows other people to take the story further in their minds but I think it’s just a bit too short, it feels like a prologue to a book rather than a short story. There are some thing that are vital in the story that you should have given information about, like who are the rakes, what are they etc. and maybe what being a bearer of the mark suggest though this point isn’t as necessary as explaining the rakes.
If it is a book chapter or prologue then you’ve left it of with a very good amount of tension and mystery.
I really like this story and I would really like to see a continuation.
Keep the writing spirit alive- wunmi.

Thank you for the kind words Wunmi. All the work I posted is part of something bigger. It will surely not make sense for now because I am unable to write one chapter/story after another in the right order. the plan is to write them as they come and afterwards to find a way of connecting the dots :D

Zontafer wrote a review...

Hello! Zontafer to review your work!

I really liked this short! It reminded me of Norse Mythology/Middle Earth (Tolkien).

One thing I don't get is why this is written in italics. Is it because it is a memory, dream, flashback, someone telling a story, or perhaps just because you like it? You're the author.

The story felt pretty mystic throughout the writing, the italics may be a part of it. I also kept wondering of what Ehléwin had done towards the attacker, also how it possibly could have shocked the audience.

Some nitpicks:

She gathered few strength that was left in her body...

This was a bit messy.
Suggestion:
She gathered what was left of the strength in her body...

Sometimes you use 'She' at the start of a sentence two times in a row. This can easily make the reader bored. To prevent it, press CTRL+F (if in chrome), type in 'She', and either replace the 'She's' with names or rewrite the sentences.

I also agree with windrattlestheblinds about your use of passive voice, and recommend you to look over them.

Descriptions is something I'd like to see more of here. How does the MC feel? Is the lighting dim, dark, or bright? How does the inn look like? Describe it.

You have definitely awakened my curiosity with this piece, and it would be awesome if this was turned into a novel, or maybe it already is? There's loads of things I want to know about now. xD

Great work. Keep on writing! ^_^

- Zontafer

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Thank you Cricket :). It will surely continue Vivian(i'm glad you liked it) but for the next couple of weeks i'm really busy at work :|

awww, well tell me when you post next!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 pm
Vivian says...

Now this has to continue, you left us hanging off a cliff. I love the story, it's great. Your idea seems so original and I just want to know where you got it from. Is the rake thing part of some old legends? Where is the name Ewlewin from, it's beautiful?

ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review as requested! :D Thanks for asking! Always a pleasure to help someone out. (Also, I apologize for taking so long to get to this)

Well it seems that somebody already helped you out with your tenses, so I'll just focus on other things.

Number 1.

Description

He approached the woman only now realizing that she was beautiful. She had pale skin, dark hair, yellow cat-like eyes and her lips were blood red. Her skin was velvet soft and there were no features that one could tell her age by. She was wearing a blue satin cloak, black leather boots and on her left hand index finger a silver ring with a black pyramid shaped rock.

Sorry, that I cut out so much, but I'd just like to go into how you are describing this woman. (Now normally, I would advise against putting the description of something into one paragraph, but as this is a person, it is allowed. ) I think you should use more prose like description to describe her. For instance, her hair...

You say that she has dark hair, but how long is it? Maybe describe it, in a way, that you can say something about the tavern lights were shining dully off of her long dark tresses. Or something along those lines. Just try and create an obvious visual for us, so that we can get a super clear picture.
I would always advise against saying something so direct and in our faces as, she had pale skin, dark hair,and so forth. Saying she has dark hair, won't give us a clear picture of what it actually looks like. :D The description of her eyes I like though, as you described them as cat-like. Nicely done.

Italics

Another thing I noticed, was your use of italics, or rather the overuse of them. Italics are used for a very distinct purpose, and they typically aren't used for an entire scene, unless its to show off a part that is back story, or a dream. They are generally used to show off certain words, phrases, and sometimes scenes (like I said before, typically back story, or dreams).

So if you don't mind I'm just going to pull out a certain part of your text and then put some words into italics, where I think it would be cool to have them.

I put those words into italics, so that the reader could focus on those in particular, but still get the overall gist of what she's saying. So its emphasizing what her intent is, and its also emphasizing that she wants them to leave her be, but you still can focus on the rest of the dialogue.

You are a ráke, i knew it

Caps on I, and may I just say, that the name, rake is freakin cool!

OK, and that's it! Hope this little bit helped ya, but this piece is amazing! :D

~Cricket

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:36 am

Thank you both for the reviews

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:23 am
Valhalla wrote a review...

The murder at the beginning was surprising because I thought that the mc was talking about singing at first. I was going to mention the passive voice, but windrattlestheblinds has already spoken about it. I don't think the entire piece should be written in italics. It is especially difficult for some people to read. I am one of those people. I am glad that it was short, or I would not have been able to make it through all of the italics. This is fantasy, but some of the dialogue was over dramatic. You might tone it down just a notch. I also found that the descriptions tended to the too much side. Is it needed to know right away every detail about the lady's looks? I would slip a detail in here and there instead of putting the description in in a big chunk if that makes sense. The story was fun. I liked it over all. What is the picture at the bottom of the document?

The picture is a photo of my signature :D

windrattlestheblinds wrote a review...

Murder is always a great way to open a story, especially with such an interesting murder weapon! However, right now, you’ve got it all phrased in passive voice (ie “[to be/is/was/were] [other verb]”), which can get boring to read really fast, especially with something as intense as Narrator singing a guy to death. And that’s a trend that continues throughout the story. Go to town with more active verbs—a good activity is to try rewriting the whole story without a single instance of was or were. Obviously, these words have their uses and they’re not bad in and of themselves, but banning yourself from using them at all for a little while really helps if you’re overusing them.

I like that murder-singing appears to have wiped Narrator out. Or else that she’s just shy and making speeches terrifies her. Either way, it’s a nice immediate flaw to see after the shock of “this lady can kill things WITH HER VOICE.” Balance like that, especially in the beginning of a story, is really important for preventing characters from coming off like unrelatable gods.

The description of Dalomir is another example of good imagery and description that just gets bogged down with passive voice—instead of “was wearing,” try “wore,” and so on. It’s a good passage and really conveys this sense of an old, respectable warrior who is nonetheless going to try keeping the peace, now you just need to make it feel more immediate by slashing out the passive voice.

I want to know what a bearer of the Mark is/does/means! You don’t have to jump into a big exposition about it—that would just slow the narrative to a crawl and be annoying—but a hint would not go amiss. Is it a religious thing? Rare? Some kind of warrior sect? Readers are like puppies in a way—if you don’t give us anything, we’re liable to get frustrated, but if you give us some nice crumbs, we’ll be hanging on your every word waiting for the actual treat.

Anyway. As an introduction to a longer story, I think this works really well! It doesn’t try to give us ALL the information at once, which is a mistake a lot of fantasy tends to make, but it also isn’t so stingy with details that it feels like we’re being cheated. And of course, it ends with a lot of stuff coming out very quickly at the end, which gives you ample places to go if/when you continue writing.

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights