z

Young Writers Society


12+

Life's Challenges- Prologue: Changes

by GreenTulip


Life works in funny ways sometimes. Some get hurt, others go through without a single bruise. I wish I could say that I am one of those people, but I have been so battered in my life, that I could tell so many stories of how I got each scar that is scattered across my flesh.

It could be simple to follow a destined path. Working through life, taking chances, meeting people. Sometimes though it isn't that easy. I have fallen off my path so many times, but I guess it is a miracle that I even managed to get back on it after every stumble. Those stumbles though, have made me who I am and could be the key factor of who I will become.

Other people aren't so lucky. Friends of mine have fallen off their roads, and haven't had the strength to get back on it. The falls aren't all bad for some of them.

Two of them were some of the worst teenagers I've ever met. They were in Latino gangs, sold drugs to kids, and were often arrested. Tattoos lined their skin, the sign that they were in  gang. I know, they sound like the stereotypical Latino male. They has gotten shot one day by a rival gang over a territory dispute and since then something changed in them.

My other friend's, my most loyal friend or he had been, transformation was terrible. Before it all happened he was a straight-A student, varsity football player, and a JV baseball pitcher. He had a full ride to Florida State University I'm Tallahassee to play football. He suddenly disappeared for a week, abnormal for him since he had almost a solid 4.0 GPA. It was after he came back that we all saw the change in him.

He shaved his head to the sdkin, had a nose piercing, and a string of tattoos. He, of course, didn't explain where he went or what he did. 

I could tell that in his change, he was happy with it. I knew he was happy before, but now he was too happy with who he became.

I never changed as drastically as the three of them did. They turned their lives around, and you could see such strong improvement. Then it came to Zander, whose life turned a complete 360 into the nebatve side of life that no one wants to see.

My grandparents sat me down anout a week after the returned. They were worried about my safety. 

"Something isn't right with him anymore, Izabellia. He could hurt you in more than one way. We don't want you to get hurt," Abuelita told me. Abuelo nodded in agreement.

"Sì, nonna. Sì, nonno," I replied in Italian as it was my native language. (Yes, Grandma. Yes, Grandpa.)

"Eres una Buena chica," Abuelo told me. (You are a good girl.)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 5740
Reviews: 71

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:49 pm
View Likes
windrattlestheblinds wrote a review...



Personally I’m not a huge fan of navel-gazing/philosophical openings. They can be done to great effect, but they’re also REALLY easy to get wrong, and I find most of them to come off more intentionally vague and taunting of the reader with what they don’t know than actually engaging. I think the actual content of yours is good—I especially like the second paragraph!—but I’d appreciate them much more if they came during a breather moment after I got to see some of the things that are making Izabellia think these things.

The passage describing the changes in Izabellia’s friends are good, but they could stand to have more detail. For example, the kids in the gang? Izabellia wouldn’t know them as gang members or stereotypical Latino dudes first; she’d know them as the people who are her friends. Make sure to demonstrate that part, too! Or else, you’re right, they do just come off as stereotypes and that’s something you want to avoid. Same goes for Mr. 4.0—what does Izabellia like about him? Why are they friends? One thing this passage does well is demonstrate that Izabellia isn’t the sort of person to restrict herself to one clique—she’s friends with the star student and the gang members, even though they’re at opposite ends of the spectrum. Going a little further into detail would give you an opportunity to show what Izabellia is looking for in her friendships, because it isn’t the security of belonging to one group.

We don’t need a whole extra paragraph for this stuff. A sentence or two would do it. You’ve even got a great opening to do so in the paragraph about the Latino kids—“I know, they sound like such stereotypes, BUT…”

Really own the Italian. You don’t need to translate simple phrases like this—and it comes off like you’re saying “sorry for not English.” Even a reader—like me—who doesn’t know a lick of Italian can figure out what’s been said from context clues and a smidgen of reasonable guessing. Trust the story to be able to explain itself. And if you want some good examples of primarily English stories that mix in another language, check out Junot Díaz; he’s got it down to an art form, and you can find a lot of his short stories online for free.

Finally, is this prologue something you really need? Does it give us any information that you couldn’t weave into the main story naturally? If not, consider cutting it. Not every story must have a prologue.

If you do decide to keep it, it’s a decent prologue. It does the job of setting up expectations for the story to follow, and gives us a quick glimpse into Izabellia’s character and background. It also does a lot of hinting at future conflict, both with the gang members trying to turn their lives around and (presumably) get out of the gang, and Mr. 4.0 (is that Zander? could be made more clear) going all skinhead on them. And it also, perhaps more importantly, poses questions about Izabellia herself—will she go through a drastic change like that, and will it be for better or worse? So you’ve got all the preliminary elements to put together a good story, here, which makes this a solid foundation to work from. And—even though I’m not a huge prologue fan in general—it’s got me interested to see what comes next, which really is the litmus test of a good prologue.




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 11451
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:09 pm
MaryEvans wrote a review...



Look over your opening paragraph, it can be flimsy at time. Also be brief, subtle, don’t harp too much on how many times the character has been battered by life because it becomes unnecessary repetition eventually.

“They has gotten” typo. And a few more awkward sentences afterwards.

I can see you already have an idea about your story, and the beginning and end of the chapter are ok, but you middle sags a bit in that it’s most telling exposition. You should focus on what’s happening in the now and weave the backstory subtly. Avoid telling us about what happened in the past especially before you’ve shown us the characters and their interactions and actions.





This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot