z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 24: Bruno's Demise

by RoyalHighness


Juno

In English class, we study all kinds of literature. I find rest and relief in literature, in the immortal characters penned to life on the easily turnable pages, in the breathing descriptions of places and events that I have never witnessed or maybe have witnessed and just never noticed before.

So naturally, in this the second or maybe third darkest hour of my life, I turn to books. And I’ve discovered something: in every book I love, somebody gets their heart broken.

And last week, I would’ve told you I never understood why girls get so emotional when a boy they’ve barely known leaves or dies or breaks their heart. Like Juliet. She's literally known Romeo for three days and when he dies, she kills herself? That’s a little extreme, I would’ve told you a week ago. I’d never do that, I’d insist. I’d probably roll my eyes if I had the power to do so. I just don’t understand it, I’d say.

But now, I do.

I got to know Ben within forty-eight hours– less than what Romeo and Juliet had. I have had exactly four entire conversations with him, not including the ten or twelve pathetically apologetic texts he’s sent me since Saturday. My phone has read every one in a cool, monotone voice, as if that stupid voice wasn’t ripping out my heart slowly, piece by piece.

This boy has the power to render me incapacitated, lying on my bed in the dark on a Sunday afternoon, dreading tomorrow and listening to the same Sam Smith song over and over and over for hours. Even Reginald is at a loss. He climbs on my back, on my head, touches my face trying to figure out why it’s all wet. He even gets some tissues for me. That monkey is half human, I swear.

I hear the door open.

“Juno?” Frey’s voice calls softly. “I have someone who wants to see you.” I can already tell who’s with him by the sound of his footsteps.

“Juno,” Ben says, his voice pleading. I can feel the vibrations of his footfalls stepping closer to the bed. I don’t hear Frey leave, so I assume he’s still there, watching.

“Don’t come any closer,” I say, holding up a hand in the direction of his voice.

“Okay.” There’s a pause. Then Ben says, “Juno, I didn’t say anything.”

“Why should I believe you?”

“Because I don’t want to hurt you,” he insists. Frey shifts his weight uncomfortably.

“How can I believe that? I barely know you.”

“Juno, you know me,” he pleads. “Did nothing that happened at the lock-in matter to you?”

“The only thing that matters about that lock-in is that somebody told my secret,” I snap. “And even if it wasn’t you...” I take a deep breath. This is good for me. This is the right thing to do. I will not be a Juliet. I need to do this. For my own safety. Even if I’m lying. Lie, Juno, you can do it.

“Even if it wasn’t you, I still think we should...” The words get stuck in my throat. Just lie to him, Juno, it’s easier than letting him hurt you.

“Stop talking,” Ben finishes, his voice as dead as my eyes. “I understand.” I hear him leave without another word. I hear him talking with Frey outside my door.

“She’s just upset right now,” Frey insists. “She really does like you, she’s just... scared.”

“I’m scared, too, man,” Ben says. “I’ve never, like, felt like... But if it’s what she wants, fine. Asteria and I are going to get some fro-yo, you wanna come?” Frey declines on a homework excuse which I don’t think Ben believes but he doesn’t push it.

“Make sure she’s sober before she drives,” Frey adds before Ben leaves.

I don’t think Ben heard him.

A few hours later, after the ninety-fifth repeat of Sam Smith’s Make It To Me, without any warning, I have an overwhelming feeling of dread and terror and pain in my stomach, twisting and knotting like an angry stomach snake. I hear the phone ring and then a scream and sob from my mother downstairs.

“FREY! JUNO!” I can’t move. I can’t move. I can’t even think. Something is horribly, horribly wrong. My door opens.

“Asteria was in an accident,” Mom sobs in the doorway. “We have to go to the hospital.” I snap into movement.

“Is she hurt?”

“Minor injuries,” Mom says. I walk towards her voice, but she stops me. “Juno, the passenger...” My heart drops to my feet.

“What’s wrong?” I can’t breathe. Everything stops.

“Ben was in the car,” Mom’s voice seems to come from miles away. “Juno...”

“No,” I hear myself say. I grip the door frame for support. No.

“He’s alive, Juno, but we have to get to the hospital,” Mom says, grabbing my arm. She half-drags me to the car, where Frey buckles me and Arinna asks a million questions.

In the chaos, I have exactly one thought: Ben’s voice whispering, “I’m scared, too, man.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:28 pm
Deanie says...



OH MY NO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO BEN
WHAT WHAT WHAT
I WILL KEEP READING




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 am
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I don't like the title of this chapter. Uh uh, I don't like it one bit. I have a feeling my feels won't last long as I read this...

I find rest and relief in literature, in the immortal characters penned to life on the easily turnable pages, in the breathing descriptions of places and events that I have never witnessed or maybe have witnessed and just never noticed before.

Just a quick grammar point here. I think this sentence will work best if you put a comma after the word 'literature'. That way it won't seem like a run-on sentence. It's dangerously close to that boundary the way it is currently written.

Oh no. Oh no no no no. Ben! *sobs*

So you've got another chapter here where the narrator, in this case Juno, is going through an awful serious spout of emotional distraught. Unlike Asteria who just wanted her problems to be over with and to not talk about them, Juno is in more of a sharing mood. I have to say, that was really needed. I don't think I could've handled a chapter of one line paragraphs with Juno feeling bad for herself. Nope, couldn't do it. Especially since Asteria did that in the previous sentence.

What I really like about this chapter is how Juno could eavesdrop on Ben and Frey's conversation through the door. I don't know why this stuck out to me while reading, but it did. I think it's because we needed to know how Ben felt as well. And since these chapters are written in first person, we wouldn't normally get to know what Ben is thinking. So of course Juno had to be able to overhear their conversation. Because if she didn't, then we wouldn't know, and the last line would've never happened. And it's such a powerful, wonderful line too. I love it.

Man you writers are so mean; taking our OTPs and ripping them apart! Oh wait, I do that too ^_^ Anyways, I like the comparison of Bruno's relationship to Romeo and Juliet. Now that I really think about it, it's true. Ben and Juno really didn't know much about each other except that they both went to the same school. But then they really hit it off in a short amount of time and then they're relationship was shattered in the shortest amount of time. It's so sad. But I'm appreciative for the comparison. Not only did it help put Bruno in perspective, but it also helped us to learn a bit more about Juno. She likes books and literature, we know that. Here we learn just how into books and literature she really is though. You've gotta be pretty serious about it if you're comparing your life to certain stories.

Alright, let me go read the next chapter so you can rip my heart out all over again.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 797
Reviews: 89

Donate
Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:21 am
ANADIR wrote a review...



you. bastard.
I have no words for this review, you sick, twisted, author. WHY DID YOU DO THIS? WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME LIKE THIS? I'm GOIJNG TO CRY ON THE OUTSIDE SOON! I SEE WHY RAVEN WAS SO ANGRY AT YOU IN THE CHAT> I WILL RAGE AT YOU TOO THE NEXT TIME WE MEET! :C YOU BETTER MAKE THE NEXT CHAPTER MAKE ME FEEL BETTER OR I WILL PUNCH A WALL. (And i'm going to bed after i read it... so let me rant a little more.)




User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 25917
Reviews: 254

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15 am
View Likes
IamTraunt wrote a review...



Hey! IamTraunt here to review.

Oh no. Oh no no no. Royal! How could you do this to me?

Nitpicks!

You’ve literally known Romeo for three days and when he dies, you kill yourself? That’s a little extreme, I would’ve told you a week ago.

Now, direct address can be be very effective when it comes to grabbing the readers attention and really getting them to think. But firstly you put me as a reader in the perspective of Juliet, and then you reach out to me as well, me. Maybe if you just put 'Juliet literally knew Romeo' and 'she kills herself' and then go to direct address so the reader can see it more clearly. But, it is your decision ;)

I have had exactly four entire conversations with him, not including the ten or twelve pathetically apologetic texts he’s sent me since Saturday.

In terms of conversations, we couldn't possibly determine how long it takes to have a conversation, we couldn't say 'you've spoken for a minute and a half, now your having a conversation' and also we couldn't say 'Conversation time only lasts for fifteen minutes' that's why I don't think it sounds right say 'entire' conversations, so why not put 'lengthy' conversations instead to show that they were ideal in getting to know each other.

"FREY! JUNO!” I can’t move. I can’t move. I can’t even think. Something is horribly, horribly wrong. My door opens.

Who is speaking here? I know you mentioned the mom was sobbing downstairs but it is still unclear to the reader, for all we know it could be the dad.

Characters!

Wow, twenty four chapters, eh? This is turning into a fine novel. It is almost coming to a climax and then sadly, an end. I wish I could say it would never end but every book, movie, tv-show has an end, even the Never Ending story - and that's saying something.
Your character development has been absolutely brilliant and had dramatically improved. The characters are opening up, blooming, they are setting the scene with their own minds eye and making it real for us. I can just imagine Juno lying on the bed and suddenly getting these pains, I can imagine her holding her stomach and knowing immediately that something was wrong. She has become real to me like all your other characters, and I know that I won't be the only one who mentions that. I love your characters, Royal, and you should be proud. Like Juno said, 'characters penned to life on the easily turnable pages.'

Storyline!

Woah, woah woah! Car crash? No. It can't be! ... Oh no. Please tell me in the chapter where you mention Asteria having a dead voice and such and such you didn't meant it all for Ben! (Or didn't you think of that?) I am going to cry. Ben can't die! I'd sob my heart out if he did - but I concur! Have you read the fault in our stars? Marley and me? Hunger Games? They all have a sad part to them and yet they are big, BIG selling books and now movies. I don't want to push you in any direction, because it is your decision, and I know whatever you choose to do - it will be awesome.






Wow, I'm seriously honored. Good heavens, I never expected this much praise for this chapter.
The only thing you've got wrong in your review, Traunt, is that, well, it's not the climax. This is just Juno's climax. I still have things that need to happen, like one more sad thing and then three happy things. So just hang tight! It might be a while until the end but the end is nearer than it was in chapter 1, I assure you :P I'm planning on ending the thing at around chapter 45 or so. Maybe 50. I don't like putting limits but if I hit 50 and I'm not done, something went awry.
Thank you for your ceaseless dedication. I can't tell you what it means to me that people actually like to read my stuff. See you next chapter! (Which should be posted sometime within the next two days, maybe three max).



IamTraunt says...


No, we are the ones honoured by being able to read your upcoming best seller (yes, I know you can do it) I like your work so I'm bound to praise it ;)
Wow! 50 chapters! That's awesome!! Is that because your chapters are only short? That's such good news :)
I think the next two days will be torture because I seriously can't wait to find out what happens to Ben. *crosses fingers* please be alright.
See you soon!





Yup, it's because the chapters are so short! :)
No worries, this story has a happy ending.

Ish.



IamTraunt says...


Dun dun dun! Spoilers ;)



User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 683
Reviews: 86

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:18 am
ConfusedGlasses wrote a review...



I have to say you have a thing for writing suspense, sister. I read the title and I was like, "nonononononononononononononononononononono what the heck!" Yup. And the way you describe things, oh my God, how could you leave us hanging like this damnit! But wait. It's Bruno's Demise. How can Ben + Juno be Bruno? Ugh! I'm rambling.

Another magnificent chapter well done. And I agree with Bella that this sounded so professional. The feelings were literally all over the place, in a good way. It felt so real, like most of your work does. I am so hooked that I don't want to leave this page. But I know you haven't posted the next chapter yet so I'll have to wait *whines*.

I am completely in love with this chapter buddy, even though it's ripping my heart apart piece by piece. And I absolutely love how you referenced the literature thing. And the change in her opinion. It's the closest to reality I've ever felt.

One thing though. In the beginning of this chapter you talk about Romeo and Juliet. And heartbreaks and English class and all that stuff. It kinda gives the feel that she's actually in English class right now. But then you get to the... uh...*checks* 6th paragraph and Juno is in her room on Sunday, crying. I think you should work on that. Or maybe not. Just a suggestion. It sounds professional the way it is but you could always make it better right?

I'm sorry the complaints paragraph is longer than the commendation paragraph. I really wanted the first to be longer. And, I repeat, I LOVE THIS CHAPTER!
Keep me posted Your Highness!

Image

PS: you forgot that chapter 23 is probably in the same portfolio folder as For Everly...






Bruno was, in fact, a typo. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out but I think Bruno sounds better than Buno and I think the R can stand for the R in Asteria if you like.
Thank you so so so much for your compliments and I will fix these things you and Traunt suggested because they are rather important and I thank you for your awesomeness and your readerly dedication and your commitment to reviewing and I just want to hug you.
Thank you so much, you have no idea what it means to me. Seriously.

PS: Oh, really? Oooooops! :) Thank you for telling me!





No probs hon. It just occurred to me that it makes writers happy if someone talks about their work so much. And I felt that your work deserved the words my friend!



User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 2999
Reviews: 102

Donate
Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:14 pm
BellaRoma wrote a review...



Ah, Bruno, Ben and Juno?... Demise? That title has so much foreshadowing, I'm lost for words.
Then the car accident, where did you get the idea for that? I was reading this on my phone; I could've dropped it, but at the same time I was gripping it too tightly. What happened to Ben? It's not fair.
One question: didn't you say that they took away Asteria's license? That's just ironic.
Juno must feel terrible!
I think that this chapter is one of your most powerful yet and not what I was expecting. It felt like I was reading a professional author.
Keep me posted please.






Wow thank you!
Yes, they took her license away which makes this so much worse.
I shall keep you posted, beautiful!



BellaRoma says...


Okay. I'll see you next chapter.




The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown