The Book Man, Chapter 74 (Revised)

by BluesClues

74 THE ELF AND THE ROVER

In due time, Christian was sitting back by his fire with Finn, Narodnaya, and a snoring Mr. Catcher. No sooner had Tirion and Morrow told him their plan than Liza appeared to inform him (rather grumpily) that he needed to get off his feet before he hurt his hip even worse.

“It’ll have to hold him once he’s in battle,” the elf remarked. Liza scowled at him.

“Don’t talk to me about battles,” she said, patting Christian’s spider as if she had forgotten it was an arachnid and not a canine. The accountant gathered that Conrad had refused to go home while there was still a fight to be had, no matter how bad his injury. “As it is, I don’t see why, if there must be some horrid fight, it can’t hold off a few days. Give people time to heal.”

By “people,” Christian assumed she meant her husband.

Morrow shook his head. “It has to be tonight. Goblin knows we’re here—or if he doesn’t yet, he will soon enough. The longer we stay here, the more likely it is he’ll launch another attack. Better to meet him in battle on our terms.”

Liza scowled at him, too, until he cracked a small smile and said, “But I think we can give them another hour or two.”

Under her watchful eye, the Rover helped Christian back to his fire, followed by the elf and the marsh-witch. His spider, however, trailed after Liza. Now it lay beside her, outside the wagon on the edge of the courtyard. She glared into her own fire and said nothing either to Graham Chelsea, who, somewhat recovered, was sitting on the spider’s other side, or the contortionist who cradled the horse-master in his lap. But she petted the spider steadily. Christian could hear it purring from where he sat.

Rowan stalked out of the crowd and joined her siblings beside Christian, looking as sour as Liza did. It was such an uncharacteristic expression that the accountant almost laughed at the sight.

“What ails you, sister?” Finn asked pleasantly. Now that Mr. Catcher was with them, the two ringmasters had forgotten their feud.

Christian followed the line of Rowan’s glare to the far edge of the courtyard, where Morrow and Tirion sat at their own small fire, removed from the crowds and talking together quietly. Even as he watched, Tirion’s hand strayed to the Rover’s shoulder, and this time Morrow did not rebuke him. Rowan glowered.

“That elf,” she said, “is messing our boy around. And I swear by all that is good and holy that I’ll run him through myself if he hurts Morrow again.”

Finn yawned. “Relax, Rowan. Look how happy they are. You remember when they were young and in love.”

Rowan’s glower deepened.

“Yes,” she said, “I remember. And I remember when Tirion left and when Morrow started drinking, too, and I tell you I won’t have it happen again.”

Morrow gave Tirion a rueful smile. The elf laughed.

“What did happen?” Christian asked, watching them. “I thought Morrow started drinking when his mother died.”

“Sure,” Rowan said. She pulled a flask out of her jacket and took a swig. “That was a bit of it. And the people’s attitude—didn’t like him because his father didn’t much like him, you know. That and he spent a lot of his youth trying to get away. I think they resented it. But he would have got by alright if he’d still had Tirion. Something broke in him when they split up.”

It looked as if Morrow and Tirion’s conversation across the courtyard had taken a more serious turn, for the Rover’s chin rested on his knees as he listened to the elf talk. Neither was smiling now. But Christian, recalling (with some embarrassment) their conversation outside his tent, couldn’t understand why two people so in love with each other would ever split up in the first place.

Why do humans and their ilk do anything at all? Narodnaya remarked dryly beside him. He did not answer her.

“Why?” he asked.

“Mmm?”

“Why aren’t they together anymore?”

Finn swiped her sister’s flask and said, “No one really knows that except the two of them. But everyone says it was Tirion’s father—the king of the wood-elves, you know. They all say he made his son choose between the throne and Morrow. And Tirion chose his throne.”

“The wrong choice, if you ask me,” Rowan said, glaring in the elf’s direction again.

Her sister waved her annoyance aside. “Yes, yes. But you’re awfully hard on him, you know. You can’t tell me you wouldn’t have chosen the same if someone had made you choose between the circus and Tiriel.”

It was the first time Christian had ever seen Rowan speechless—almost speechless. She opened her mouth, closed it, opened it again, and said, “Well, no one did make me choose.”

“That’s what I thought.” Her sister grinned and turned back to Christian. “Oh, they were friends for years before anything happened. Hunted together for—goodness, it must have been a decade or so. And then Morrow went and got himself attacked by a herd of night-mares like a fool and nearly died, and Tirion brought him back to Greendale to be healed, and that was that. They were nearly inseparable, and Morrow spent more time than ever away from the Sunforest—and then, out of the blue, Tirion up and left.”

Watching the elf and the Rover across the courtyard, Christian found it hard to believe—or would have, if he had not overheard them earlier. Morrow’s face had fallen into harsh lines that made him look much older than he was, but when the elf touched his face, his eyes crinkled into a small smile.

“No one knows what his father’s objection was anyway,” Rowan said, still glowering. “In general, the elves are free to marry wherever they please. My guess is that the king didn’t want his son marrying a human.”

She tugged her flask out of Finn’s hand and took another long drink.

“Why not?” Christian asked.

“Oh, they think us ridiculous creatures,” Rowan said. “Our clothing, for example. Just look how Tirion walks about—half-naked, without even shoes for his feet. That’s about how they all dress. More than that and they think you’re wasting cloth that ought to be saved for infants, the elderly, and the infirm. I suppose they’ve a point, at that. Still, one can’t feel like a proper ringmaster without a ringmaster’s coat.”

“Quite right, sister,” said Finn. “About the clothing, that is, but you must be mistaken about the king’s objections. After all, Morrow’s mother was an elf. Of course, his father was a hero, but a human all the same. And there were no objections to you, when Tiriel—”

“True, true. How I do miss her. But you know the elves—”

The two sisters launched into a debate about the wood-elves’ feelings towards humans, which then turned into a discussion of everything ranging from elvish architecture to the elves’ disdain for tears to speculation as to whether or not the elf-king really had been in love with his chief healer like everyone said he had. They talked for so long the fire burned down and died and their older brother awoke with a start to reprimand them for almost letting him sleep through a battle. Christian, sitting quietly with his own thoughts, was the only one who saw Morrow at last lay his head wearily in Tirion’s lap to rest while the elf held him and kept watch.

Valkyria wrote a review...

Hello, Blue!

Happy Review Month! It feels really nice to jump back into your story after a rough couple of weeks in college.

I liked this chapter. It was interesting to learn more about Morrow's and Tirion's backstory. I also really liked Liza and the spider (though I hope she doesn't intentionally steal it away from Christian haha.)

The only major critique I have is the pacing felt a little slow. It's probably because this is a backstory episode, so you can't move forward with the plot.

The calm before the storm. Maybe, the battle will be in the next chapter.

One more thing: I get Tolkien vibes from the name Tirion, and the phrases of 'wood-elves' and 'elf-king.' Were those inspired by The Hobbit and LOTR, or are those common phrases in any elf fairy tales?

That's all I have for this review! Any minor critiques I have was already touched on by the other reviewers below. I can't wait to read more!

Best,
Valkyria

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

So this was an... interesting chapter, one that I hadn't expected to see, and thought was rather weird, but whatever. I will go through this in an attempt to review it without becoming angry that one of my favorite character turned out to be gay... which I don't agree with. at. all. Okay? :)

It's wonderful how you have such a big background to each character, and how you bring it up in such an easy manner. Fireside conversations, little background stories - you know, that kind of stuff. You introduce us to the past of the character without ever coming to a stop in the book, or stopping your move forward. And that is something I find very hard when I write backgrounds, because in novels, I understand one of the things you always want to do is "Keep moving forward." (hehe, that Meet the Robinsons saying even applies here.)

One thing I think could be mended to this chapter is the name, Tiriel. No matter how pretty the name is, there is a character in the Hobbit (the movie, but whatever) with the same name, so yeah. And one more thing make me flash a red flag. Disagree with gays or not, you have two couples in this party? (I am assuming that you are saying Rowan and Tiriel were "in love") I would call that extremely unrealistic, because gays are so rare. And they are even more rare because they tend to hide their beliefs, because they aren't generally accepted. And here... all of them talk about it as though there is no difference between man/woman and man/man, and that everyone is a big cuddly family without the least difference in beliefs, which to me is also unrealistic. And then to have Christian as bi seems a bit much as well, because it just tacks onto the entire thing of "How many is realistic, and how many makes it unrealistic". And one more thing on Christian's character: If he is bi, I haven't had any attractive descriptions of any guy, while a lot of the women have had descriptions of how beautiful they are and such. Just another thing I noticed. ^.^ While I hate it, I think I should point out the little things I notice on this. So sorry if it comes out as harsh. I tend to be that with this subject a little bit.

Overall, I liked this chapter and the story behind each character. Rowan and Finn seem to get along much better when Mr. Catcher is around, and one more thing I just remembered: how is he so old is they're brothers and sisters? That seems weird. Different timing since the park?
~Darth Timmyjake

BluesClues says...

Oh, sweetheart...I will not quibble with you on disagreeing about the "gay lifestyle," because I know that's pointless, but I will tell you that I have enough queer friends to know that queer people are not "so rare." Really, they aren't. They just tend to hang out more with other queer people and to avoid people who are going to spend all their time lecturing them on how wrong their "lifestyle choices" are. I wouldn't hang out with a sexist dipwad, so why would my LGBT friends hang out with someone who doesn't like them? At the very least, if forced to spend time with such a person--say, at work, where you can't escape people who don't like you--you're not exactly going to be like, "Btdubs, I'm gay" when you know that person is going to start insulting/mistreating you, you know? (I mean, some people will, but you have to be the kind of person who is willing to rise to the occasion and debate these people and call them out on their cruelty and what have you, which I most emphatically am not. I keep my trap shut about stuff no matter how angry I get, because I don't like conflict, which is ironic because I'm a writer.)

"Turned out" to be gay? Oh, dear. Well, you certainly did not get the hints earlier on about Morrow and Tirion, did you? My goodness. :P

how is he so old is they're brothers and sisters? That seems weird. Different timing since the park?

Indeed, sir. Mr. Catcher left the park and has not returned to the Otherworld since, so he started aging again.

As far as Tiriel goes...oh well for the Hobbit movie. (It's Tauriel in that, first of all, second of all she's not in the book so I dgaf.) Also, it's an actual name, so I think I'm okay. There is a poem by that name, there is an opera by that name, there are various characters and also real people, so...should be good. But thank you for your concern!

I used to have trouble with backstory myself, but I think I'm doing better in this story (?)

timmyjake says...

Thank you for not going on a rant with me. <3

I got the hints from Iggy's reviews. xD But for the story, it kind of fell into my lap, I guess.

The name is fine now. Just making sure. :mrgreen:

Your backstory is wonderfully done. always. :)

BluesClues says...

And thank you for still reading. Honestly, I was about 98% sure you would just quit at this point for that reason, but I see I have two new reviews to go look at.

Anyway, like I said...I don't like conflict. And I could rant at you, but if I was going to, this isn't the appropriate place for it anyway.

timmyjake says...

I honestly thought about it for two weeks, but decided that leaving in a huff wouldn't be a good idea even if I wanted to change your mind about them, so here I am! :)

I dun like conflict either, but I am not afraid to do it, either. ;)

BluesClues says...

(I think neither of us is likely to change our minds anyway. I certainly shall not.)

timmyjake says...

And neither shall I. We are pretty steadfast in our ways. xD

Deanie says...

Hi Blue!

Tiriel? This is definitely a new addition! I do hope we get to know more about whoever this Tiriel is because I am curious now ^.^

She glared into her own fire and said nothing either to Graham Chelsea

I would get rid of the 'either' in this sentence because it doesn't really add much and it confused me. Having it there made me feel like there needed to be an 'or' between the name Graham Chelsea. But I do believe it's just his full name and not two people?

Otherwise this is great, and great, as always ^^

Deanie x

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

This part got a little confusing because I couldn't tell if you were setting up a viewpoint change. I ended up losing track of Christian in the large knot of people, and with a couple of paragraphs on Liza I thought the perspective had maybe switched to her.

This confusion kept through the chapter, which I'm going to assume is at least in part a result of me not having read anything previous to this and therefore not knowing the characters (there are, after all, seventy three parts before this).

You still have a lot of emotional shorthand, with "sour look" being an offender this time. I'm not particularly fond of it for the reasons I mentioned in the other review.

This, by the way, is exactly the type of conversation about past partners I meant in your blog entry. Your whole scene, basically, is them talking about a guy's past lovers. This type of scene could be extremely easily expanded oh so slightly and modified to include other genders and casually discuss "oh that one who used ze? Yes I've heard. How about the men?" to confirm multiple gender attraction.

Like I said in the blog, it's a lot easier than it looks and simply requires taking fireside moments like this, when everything's quite, and discussing past love. It fits the tone right now, as well, because they are longing for the better days of the past. Why wouldn't they discuss old loves and how they treated them, and how they want to treat other people?

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

BluesClues says...

Thank you! Just fyi, I actually have revised such that there are mentions of some of Christian's previous paramours earlier on, and also more specific memories in a later chapter, so hopefully that helps, although I was also considering putting something here.

And, while you may be confused due to jumping in so late, that could be helpful, too. Because your eyes are totally fresh, so you can catch stuff I might have to worry about even if people who read all the way through haven't caught.

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review!

...and I tell you I won’t have it happen again.”

The "I won't" is kind of implied by the "I tell you," so it bogs reading flow and states the obvious. I think you'd be fine without it.

“What did happen?” Christian asked

That's awkward phrasing. The "did" is what really threw me off. I was expecting "What really happened?" or even just "What happened?" It feels like Christian's trying to sound archaic while being sincere, and it's coming across as either sarcastic or out-of-place funny.

Hmm. This one feels shorter, oddly. It probably isn't, but that's all I found for this one.
Well, except for the shrieking my analytic side raised when you ended with Christian being the "only one" who saw that. I had to grab my analyzer's snout and say, "Hush, stupid. It's a story. Expression, remember?" But that's just me. :)

There were a few things that I felt like I needed to have read the previous chapters to fully understand (like the entire tangle of romances), but that's on me. For example, is Morrow/Tirion yaoi? Rowan/Tiriel yuri?

Otherwise, strong chapter.

Hope this helps! (As little as I had to offer this go-round.)

BluesClues says...

(Yes to both yaoi and yuri, although I had to look them up to make sure they meant what I thought they meant.)

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert