Scarlet Secrets

by JadetheUnknown

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

I never felt so lonely and in pain,

These thorns of mine the battle won again,

From the rose I humbly gave to a lover,

A vain, oblivious douche and poseur.

My legs are stained by its crimson juice,

feelings on which my body I let loose,

lashes from an innocent rose,

Bejeweled red dew revealing woes.

So now, tonight, a peace ill keep,

Released in words and cuts so deep,

in velvet debt to a rose bouquet,

One given; and the rest thrown away.

aquaaqua wrote a review...

Hello there,
This is a wonderful poem! You do a great job with the words you use! The rhyming is amazingly done! The imagery is very well done as well. I'm not the first to say this, but it was very hard to read. It was a very deep and emotional poem. You expressed your feelings well in this!
I don't see any mistakes in this, but just a few grammar corrections and suggestions. First of all, you might want to put these in stanzas.
Finnish a stanza after the line

"A vain, oblivious douche and poseur."
and
"Bejeweled red dew revealing woes."

Also, in the line
"So now, tonight, a peace ill keep"
You would want to write I'll instead of ill.

Overall, this was a wonderful piece! Very beautiful and well done! Keep up the wonderful work!

-Aqua

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:40 am
Hannah wrote a review...

I hope that this wasn't written about a personal experience. I really hope not, because this poem is really painful to read and understand, especially after we're introduced to the guy as a "douche" and then, and only AFTER that, do we realize what the poem is describing.

I think it was powerful to order your revelations that way, because it also probably matched with the way the character realized that, no, maybe that wasn't such a good idea. Not because of the act itself, but because of the person who it was done with.

As for the form of the poem, I think all your rhymes work pretty well and not many of them seemed forced by the rhyme, more enhanced by the rhyme. There were some weak points that I think you could pay attention to, though, so let's take a look at them:

From the rose I humbly gave to a lover,

A vain, oblivious douche and poseur.

There are two problems here in the two different lines.
The first line's meter is a little hard to follow, but you could make it more standardized if you took out the little rolls and the little words "the" and "a" -- from rose I humbly gave to Lover (could capitalize, even).
The second line's rhyme is hard to swallow. The words douche and poseur seem really out of place in a delicate poem like this -- you cover a topic that could be very intense and angry and manage to pull it back to just a bloody image, but you left in the intense and angry descriptions of the man, and it seems out of place, especially because I don't know what about this act would make him a "poseur". I know he might seem fake or false, but a poser is kind of trying to be in a group, right? So maybe you can find a different line for this spot!

feelings on which my body I let loose,

Meter problems here, too! It sounds like:
ba-DUM ba-DUM ba-da-DUM-da DUM with the extra little "da" in there for the first line.
DUM-ba da DUM ba-DUM-da DUM DUM DUM with just a very messy meter for the second.
See what you can do to get in there and clean it up! (:

Also, I will totally let the not-standard meter go in the last two lines because as we roll to the end of the poem, we feel more likely to give leeway on that. With the little ba-da-DUM as opposed to ba-DUM, it kind of feels like a car jerking to a stop, and the natural feeling of that is something I can get behind -- it cushions me to the end of the poem.

I hope these thoughts and suggestions are helpful to you!
PM me or reply to this review if you have any questions/comments.
Good luck and keep writing!

Hannah

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:42 am
wtppowers wrote a review...

Well, I'll be the first (or second) to admit that it was hard to read. But from what I gathered, it's a very deep poem. The imagery is strong here. Yet, I know what you're talking about. You're heartbroken over the ending of a relationship with some you... ummm... yeah.
Good job! Keep it up!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:45 am
EscapeToNeverland wrote a review...

Hey it's Neverland here to review your piece!

Okay first off congrats on posting something when you're so new to the site! Quite impressive.
Also I'd like to point out that it would read a lot better if it was written in stanzas, maybe you could fix it?

Other then that I love it! The imagery, and the uniqueness of it.

'Released in words and cuts so deep,
in velvet debt to a rose bouquet,
One given; and the rest thrown away.'

^^ Love those lines!!! They're so beautiful and expressive and a nice way to finish the poem.

Overall quiet a exquisite piece.

Good luck writing and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the Greenroom.
~Neverland.

pain is that feeling when you are feeling hurt, but it never goes away leaving me hurt. oh it hurts.
— Dragonthorn