Blind - Chapter 17

by WillowPaw1

The day before the first day of school, I locked myself in my room and listened to music for almost half the day. School started on Wednesday, and it was Tuesday now. I was already freaking out and my hands were shaking. Already.

I had thought about the game Jason mentioned. GoalBall... It sounded interesting, especially since it was for blind people only. But was I even capable of doing that? Just carrying the ball, for example. What if it was heavy? Or what if the ball hit my head and I got a concussion? I wanted to do it, I really did, but there were many problems. I don't even know where I would play it.

She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5 came on after Don't Stop Believing slipped by. I thought about the song. Maybe that "She" they were referring to could someday be me. It was hard to imagine, though. I was loved, sure, by about four people. Mother, Father, Sheila, and even Jason.

Hours passed by, as did my almost my whole playlist. I stopped when Father called to me. "Ember, come eat a snack," he said.

Making my way to the kitchen, I grabbed the banana and bowl of goldfish he offered me. I knew from listening to people that gold was some color. And from feeling them, the crackers were obviously fish shaped.

I ate my snack in my room then set my bowl and banana peel aside. I sighed heavily, and for some odd reason, since I had already been sleeping a lot, I fell into a slumber.

When I woke up, it felt late. Also, I couldn't feel the sun's warmth burn on my arms, and the air felt colder. I guessed it was night time. Had I really skipped dinner? I didn't feel tired at all, so I pulled out crumpled sheets of Braille, unfolded them, and skimmed my fingers over the mysterious communication. I was getting better at it. In fact, I could read all the vowels, plus a few letters. I made something out that seemed like: G O O M O N I N G, U. There were many letters I couldn't recognize. It obviously wasn't a complete phrase.

I breathed in and out as the thought of school came to mind. It was night, so that meant only a couple hours until morning, which would mean school. I waited in bed for what felt like forever. Fine, it wasn't forever, no one could wait forever, but it felt like a long time. I threw my arm to the left to find my iPod I had left on my nightstand. When my fingers accidently hit a button, I knew I had found it. My earbuds were already in it. I listened to music for a while, with the earbuds stuck in my ears. I heard about ten songs when I heard and banging on my door. Panicked, I moved my finger to the pause button, paused the song that was playing, then shoved my iPod under my bed and pretended I was asleep.

I didn't want to get in trouble for listening to music when it was night time.

"Ember, wake up!" a voice said. The banging continued. Oh. Oh! Someone had come to wake me up. For a second I thought they had heard the music. I recognized the voice as Father's, even though Sheila usually wakes me up.

"Already?" I said, my voice quivering the slightest bit. There was a pause, then Father said, "Yes. Come down for breakfast. You don't want to go to your first day of school tired, do you?"

And that's when I felt a stab of regret in my stomach. I was going to school. Oh.

Father left, and I dragged myself out of bed glumly. "Sheila!" I called. I wanted her to help me pick out an outfit for school. I didn't care all that much, but I didn't want to wear torn pants and a cut up shirt.

I heard a skid down the hall and the Sheila came in, breathless. "Why are you panting?" I asked her.

"Morning jog," Sheila replied. A jog? Sheila hated running. I wonder why she did, though.

"Can you help me decide what to wear?" I asked.

"Sure," Sheila's panting ceased, and I heard my closet door open and Sheila digging through my clothes drawers.

"This top is cute," Sheila said. I was sitting on my carpet picking at little fuzz that tended to come out.

"Okay," I said. I wondered which one it was. She handed it to me and I put my hands on it to try and determine which one it was. It felt soft and had a pocket in the corner. It seemed pretty casual to me.

"And these jeans would fit nicely with it," Sheila said, giving me a pair of jeans. I owned a lot of jeans, but all of them were skinny. Not super skinny, or flare, or boot cut, but just skinny.

"Thanks," I said quietly and Sheila left without saying a word. Before putting on my clothes, I changed my underwear and undershirt. When I was fully dressed, I walked to the kitchen.

"Can I have cereal please?" I asked. Father was always the one to cook, so I was pretty sure he was in the kitchen. Well, I knew someone was in the kitchen because I heard the water of the sink running.

"Honey Nut Cheerios or Frosted Mini Wheats?" Father asked. I was right, he was in the kitchen.

"Mini Wheats," I replied.

"Good morning, Ember," Jason said. I hadn't heard him walk in, and I jumped. "Gosh, you scared me!" I said, shivering.

"Excited for school?" He asked.

"Actually, no," I said back matter-of-factly.

"Great, because this won't spoil your mood, since you're already grumpy," Jason said.

"What won't spoil my mood?" I asked, suddenly a bit scared. Was he going to do something to me? Or maybe say something mean? I sat in my seat still and quiet, waiting for him to respond.

"You're in my class!" He almost seemed happy about the four words he said. But wait. If he was in my class... That could not be good.

Zontafer wrote a review...

Hey!^^

Nitpicks
When I read through the chapter, I noticed the word 'heard' a lot of times. A good thing you could do to avoid repetition is to either read the chapter for yourself aloud, or use CTRL+F, type in a word and check how many times you've used it.

Some synonyms for 'heard' can be 'listened' or perhaps 'noticed'. Thesaurus is a great site you may have heard of to look for synonyms.

"Excited for school?" He asked.

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that you need to decapitalize words like he, she, it and nouns when writing a dialogue tag.

Feelings
I'd like to see more from Ember's thoughts in this chapter, especially since she's having her first school day. We already understand that she's nervous and doesn't really want to go to school at all, but some feelings and thoughts would make the chapter feel more like Ember's PoV, if that makes any sense. xD

Content
The flow was smooth and nice throughout the chapter. Some descriptions came in right after the dialogue, giving us a bit more insight on stuff.

However, this might be a bit contradicting, but suddenly I was reading a much bigger paragraph than the others, having a total of 10 sentences.
I breathed in and out...pretended I was asleep.

^ That's the one I'm talking about. I suggest you to split this up in two parts, as it can get boring to read about.

I didn't feel bored at all when reading it. The descriptions of Ember hiding her iPod, afraid of her parents busting her. I do find it somewhat strange that they didn't wake her up for dinner, I guess she most be really hungry after skipping it.

Overall, nice chapter once again. :D

- Zontafer

Iggy wrote a review...

Yo, Willow.

The day before the first day of school,

You can cut this down to: "The day before school started-"

I stopped when Father called out to me.

Add in the bolded. Also, changing this to say "I stopped the music-" will make this sentence smoother.

My earbuds were already in it.

Go with "My earbuds were already plugged in"

I listened to music for a while, with the earbuds stuck in my ears.

Cut the indicated. It was obvious by the previous sentence that she's gonna use the earbuds to listen to music.

I heard about ten songs when I heard and banging on my door.

And should be an*

Panicked, I moved my finger to the pause button, paused the song that was playing

Cut this down to "I paused the song-"

Come down for breakfast. You don't want to go to your first day of school tired, do you?"

This doesn't make sense. I think you meant to replace tired with hungry, yes?

I don't understand the stab of regret. What is she regretting? Also, the oh feels unnecessary. Consider taking it out.

Father left, and I dragged myself out of bed glumly.

Unnecessary comma.

Since Jason's dialogue ended and Shelia's began, they need to be separated.

"Excited for school?" He asked.

Lowercase he.

I think you executed a nice attempt with making Ember scared of school, but it fell flat. Consider how excited she was in the previous chapters. She couldn't wait! And of course she would be scared and nervous, because we all are/were on the first day of school, but I don't think you covered the transition quite well. Last chapter, she was eagerly awaiting the beginning of school. Now she's scared.

Use the time jump to your advantage. Briefly summarize how her excitement turned to fear. Describe the butterflies that appeared, one at a time, in her stomach. Show the reader how Ember started to grow worried and how she started to dread her first day of school. All of this will make the chapter more realistic and visual, so we can see exactly what is going through her head.

On a brighter note, I'm liking what's going on so far. Finally, we get to see how school goes for her. I'm gonna shut up now and go read the most recent chapter so my curiosity can be satisfied. ^^

~Iggy

ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hey there! Cricket here for a review!!!

Well, I don't think I've read any of your other chapters, but I was like awwwwwwwww, she's blind????? That's so sad....but anyway..I'm going to do my best and be super helpful and constructive in this review, so here goes!!

NITPICKS!!!!!

Had I really skipped dinner?

Now with this I just have a question...would her parents let her skip dinner? Would they really just let her just stay in her room asleep? Just wondering....

She handed it to me and I put my hands on it to try and determine which one it was

With this I just have a little concern.. normally when people hand stuff to you they put it into your hands, so the part when you say "I put my hands on it" is really not necessary. :D

The day before the first day of school, I locked myself in my room and listened to music for almost half the day. School started on Wednesday, and it was Tuesday now.

Gahhh, I'm not entirely sure about this but you imply that it is the day before school again in the second sentence and I just felt like that was repeating yourself. :D

Panicked, I moved my finger to the pause button, paused the song that was playing,

Honestly I would just rephrase this one a little. I mean its not like its badly put or anything...but I just thought that "paused" was used to often.

OK, so Mousse is her seeing dog then? So where is this dog while she's talking? Is it laying on the floor in the kitchen? Maybe outside? Maybe you could have it to where she is wondering where the dog is or something. Just something so that we get a good idea of where the dog could possibly be. OK? :D Ignore this if you don't want to do it by all means....

"Good morning, Ember,"

Gahh, sorry if I'm just being dumb or something...but I'm a little confused over Jason right now. He sounds perfectly nice in the beginning with saying good morning and then asking if she was excited for school, but then he turned into a big jerk in the end! So I'm just a little concerned about him. If you want somebody to sound like a jerk, then you'd better do it thoroughly. At least for this one scene.....

Fine, it wasn't forever, no one could wait forever, but it felt like a long time.

Too many commas in this sentence. Try rephrasing and rooting some out. :D

I do agree with Noelle though! You really do a good job on helping us see through a blind girls' eyes. I would only suggest that you don't forget the "sense" of smell. I notice you used sound, touch, taste, but I don't recall seeing any "smell". Since you can't use sight you have to stretch out and grab the other four senses! And that includes smell!:D

"Sure," Sheila's panting ceased

Now as a runner myself....I wouldn't think she would automatically stop panting. It just wouldn't happen. You're tired, hot, sweaty, and above all....breathless. So yeah....I don't think she would cease in her panting.

When I was fully dressed, I walked to the kitchen.

I just have a suggestion to make here. Maybe instead of just saying "I walked to the kitchen" maybe describe a little as you go. Was her bedroom upstairs or downstairs? Or was it directly across from the kitchen? I just think you could tell us a little more than what you have right now.

My earbuds were already in it. I listened to music for a while, with the earbuds stuck in my ears.

"Earbuds" are a bit too close for my tastes. Sounds repetitive to me. Maybe try and cut one out?

Father was always the one to cook, so I was pretty sure he was in the kitchen.

Maybe just rephrase it a little....like this..."Father was always the one to cook, so I was pretty sure he was the one in the kitchen" or something like that...:D

OK, that's it! Hope I helped!

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am
Noelle wrote a review...

So there's really only one thing that I have to say about this chapter. And it has to do with the very end where Jason says Ember can't take Mousse to school. I always thought she wouldn't be able to take Mousse. I mean, what kind of school lets a seeing eye dog in? I don't think the blind schools even do that. But I feel like, realistically speaking here, they would've found this out much sooner than the first day of school. Ember's parents were probably arguing both ways with the principal of the school about it. And they'd probably tell her about it much earlier in order to make the transition go smoother. But instead, Jason just blurts it out the morning of the first day. How rude of him.

Ah, I came up with something else to say. Jason is quite a confusing character to me. I'm not sure if this is how you had planned him out to be, but he is appearing that way. Some times he seems like he hates Ember. But other times he seems to be okay with her. I know that siblings argue and all that, but I feel like he's taking it a bit to the extreme. You might want to dial him down a bit or give an explanation for why he acts like he does. Just my opinion.

Again, you do a great job describing everything. I've been saying all along (or at least I've been meaning to say if I haven't yet) that you're descriptions make me feel like I'm truly seeing life through Ember's eyes. I don't think this story would work as well if it was written in third person. There's an overall feeling of darkness that I get when I read this. It's like I'm the one who's blind and I'm living out this life Ember is. It's a really cool feeling that I haven't experienced with any other novel I've read. Keep up the good work :)

I feel so bad for Ember! Mousse should be able to come along with her :( I do hope she does good in school despite not having Mousse with her!

**Noelle**

WillowPaw1 says...

Thank you so much! Guh...No.. Jason kind of ended up this way.. xD

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom