The Pixie And The Giant (Part 1)

by Dracula

Chrysanthemum let out a sigh, held her breath and dived head first into the puddle. She swam across the lengthy lake which blocked her progress along the gravel road. She popped her head up above the water and grinned with relief, taking in air as she climbed up the rocky cliff face. That was a small puddle, easy to swim through. Hopefully the rest of her journey would be just as easy. Chrys' relief was short lived, for it had been raining the night before and the puddles in the bumpy road had not yet dried up. Climbing up a mountain of a piece of gravel, she surveyed the great expanse ahead of her. On her left and right were tall forests of wheat, their stems letting no light reach the ground. This made Chrysanthemum feel like she was trapped between two dark, creepy woods. The road continued infront of her, it travelled beyond the horizon and was made up of alternating mountains and lakes. Chrys estimated that it would take her two more days to get to the next village.

Chrysanthemum was a pixie. A kilometre of gravel might seem like nothing to our kind; humans. For pixies, this was a treck which could take days and days, if not months. Imagine that you're standing at the bottom of a hill and your head is tilted backwards so you're looking at the top of the grassy mound. It's all pretty normal, you could walk up there in about five steps. Now imagine you're at the bottom of a great, stone mountain which reaches up to the sky. That is how a pixie looks at a small grassy hill. You can probably understand that even a gravelly road presents difficulties, with the gravel being the equivalent to our grassy hills.

I've mentioned grassy hills quite a lot. This is for a reason. It's probably in your best interest to know that it's on these hills where pixies live. The faeries (who are about six inches larger than pixies) inhabit the interior of these hollowed out mounds and the pixies build their homes inside the flowers and toadstools that sit on the lush, green, grassy hills. Because of the sheer size of everything in the world, it's normal for pixies to never leave the hills on which they grew up in. Some never leave their flower for the fear of tripping and rolling and tumbling down the slope. Although, about every third generation, a pixie will be born with an exceptionally adventurous and curious personality. Chrysanthemum was one of these. She would not stay on the hill. Infact, she made a promise to herself that no matter how difficult it would be, she'd travel to every single village and city in the realm; seeking out adventure and knowledge.

Chrysanthemum trecked over the last rocky mountain, all wet and sore and dirty and extremely tired, then she saw the village. It was one of the loveliest villages she had yet ventured to. The grass around the houses had been trod on so much that it was completely flat on the ground, so she could see the village in it's entirety. Well, almost. Chrys could not see the tops of the houses, for they were so amazingly high that they seemed to climb up into the clouds, even further perhaps. The doors themselves were so tall that even one thousand pixies stacked on upon the other could not reach the top. The gigantic buildings were made of wooden slabs seemingly piled together like building blocks. It was certainly the largest village she'd been to, probably the largest in existence.

Chrysanthemum yelped as an asteroid a hundred times her size crashed into the ground next to her. It caused an enormous earthquake, sending her flying backwards up, up into the air. The squashed grass made an adequate landing net for her as she came falling down and landed with a quiet thud. Her tiny body bounced on the grass a few times, then after flailing her arms about madly, Chrys was able to maintain her balance. She scrambled to her feet and tilted her head all the way back as to see what had caused the asteroid. It was a giant. It's tremendously large foot was infact the asteroid in question. It calmly stomped down the gravel path into the village. How rude of the creature to almost flatten her to a pulp and not even apologise!

You may like to know that pixies aren't completely silly. They are perfectly aware that their chances of being squished by giants and elves and trolls and the numerous other beasts of the realm are quite high. It is for this reason that they use their magic (with the help of the faeries) to create items which allow them to have a number of abilities. A ring that when worn allows them to see through the eyes of the enemy, a whistle that once blown gives the whistler a minute of incredible speaking volume, an iron helmet that can withstand the strength of an anvil, shoes that allow them to fly like their faerie cousins and glasses that when worn enable an onlooker to see them clearly. Please never go looking for such items, for even if they were right under your nose they would be too small for you to see.

Chrysanthemum felt her face heat up and become red from the anger that this rude giant was causing her to feel. She placed her hand into a pocket in the inner seam of her dress (where items would be safe from waters and windy wheather) and pulled out her magical glasses and whistle. She put the spectacles on, silently grumbling at the unfashionable things, then held the whistle to her mouth and blew it.

"You there!" She cupped her hands and shouted at the giant who had almost disappeared behind a wall. Chrys was surprised to find that her words came out surprisingly loud, as loud as a human voice.

The giant stopped in his tracks and flicked his head behind his shoulder for a second, as if an annoying fly had perched on it. This giant wasn't as tall as most, our pixie estimated that he was quite young. Early hundreds, perhaps, just a teenager. He was the height of about two stories and as wide as the width of a truck. If he was a pixie, Chrysanthemum might have called him handsome, for his face was sharp and he had a lovely tanned complexion which went well with his typical hooked nose. His clothes were also extremely fashionable. He wore brown baggy pants and a sleeveless red shirt with a hood.

"Yes, you!" Chrys shouted, fiercely this time, "Yeah! You, Little Red Hiding Hood over there!" She chuckled to herself for that reference to a favourite bedtime story of hers. Humans wrote the best stories, although they were nearly always incorrect.

Incorrect, indeed. What's this rubbish of giants invading villages and ruling castles in the sky? Nonsense, that's what it is. Giants are actually valued members of the society. They may have their accidents every now and then, what with the challenges of their size, but they are also highly esteemed builders. How did you think those skyscrapers were built? That's right! Giants built them.

The youthful giant was obviously aware that he was wearing a red hood, because he turned around and his eyes darted from left to right looking for the shouter. It was only when he looked at the ground that he was able to see Chrysanthemum, the tiniest of creatures standing on a pile of trodden grass. He must have been of the curious type, as he raised his eyebrows and walked to her, being careful not to step on her.

As the giant approached Chrysanthemum felt the ground begin to shake and get more violent, but she was ready for it this time. She grapped onto a stem of grass and held on tight so that she didn't fly backwards again.

The giant knelt down and his knees landed on the earth with a great crash! Even the grass could not withstand it and dirt, grass and a pixie went flying into the air. Chrysanthemum screamed with fright and the giant heard her. As she spread her arms out, trying to fly like a bird, she landed in the giant's surprisingly soft palm. His skin was like a cushion and to her amazement Chrys didn't feel any pain on impact.

Chrysanthemum looked up curiously at the giant, her glasses still on, and she saw that he was also puzzled by her. Chrys reasoned that he musn't get many pixies or faeries visiting his home, that was probably because they were all much too scared to!

Okay, so before I continue with this I'm just looking for feedback and any ideas on how to improve it. If you're wondering where it's going... they are going to eventually fall in love, but at first they just become friends. I'm trying to think up some event that could be the main plot, but I'm not exactly sure. Of course, it's impossible for a pixie and a giant to have a relationship, so one of the adventures they'll go on is to find a way for either the pixie to become a giant, or the giant to become a pixie. But this won't work; instead they'll meet half way. Okay. So, feedback please?

Nightshade21 wrote a review...

Hi night again here to review. Now im not going to lie at first I was confused them I had to mentally slap myself because pixies tiny. once the slap came the story was amazing like always. I liked how you gave background information in between like when Chrysanthemum says something that we humans may not understand you give us insight on what is happening.

As for ideas an idea could be have you ever watched Epic? maybe something like that where the giant becomes the pixie from a spell done by the fairies or maybe a sprite?

Overall really liked this story and can't wait to read more :)

ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review as promised!

Ohh, you want some feedback on how to improve this?... I shall help youuu out! :D

Chrysanthemum let out a sigh, held her breath and dived head first into the puddle. She swam across the lengthy lake which blocked her progress along the gravel road. She popped her head up above the water and grinned with relief, taking in air as she climbed up the rocky cliff face. That was a small puddle, easy to swim through. Hopefully the rest of her journey would be just as easy. Chrys' relief was short lived, for it had been raining the night before and the puddles in the bumpy road had not yet dried up

Ohh, sorry that I cut so much out, but I just had some nitpicks here! I put in red the redundant parts, so it will be easier for you to find them later on! :D Some of them (like swam and swim) are repetitive and not redundant, but I decided to put them in one nitpick, as to not clutter up this review for you. :D

Chrysanthemum let out a sigh, held her breath and dived head first into the puddle. She swam across the lengthy lake which blocked her progress along the gravel road. She popped her head up above the water and grinned with relief, taking in air as she climbed up the rocky cliff face. That was a small puddle, easy to swim through. Hopefully the rest of her journey would be just as easy.SPLIT HERE Chrys' relief was short lived, for it had been raining the night before and the puddles in the bumpy road had not yet dried up. Climbing up a mountain of a piece of gravel, she surveyed the great expanse ahead of her. SPLIT HEREOn her left and right were tall forests of wheat, their stems letting no light reach the ground. This made Chrysanthemum feel like she was trapped between two dark, creepy woods. SPLIT HEREThe road continued infront of her, it travelled beyond the horizon and was made up of alternating mountains and lakes. Chrys estimated that it would take her two more days to get to the next village.

AGAIN, apologies for cutting out so much, but I wanted to show you something with your paragraphing. :P Now if you look at what a paragraph is, in a grammar book, you'll find that it says, that paragraphs are composed of one idea, usually 3 to 5 sentences on average.

Now obviously you don't have to follow that to the LETTER, and there are exceptions to it. Such as, one sentence would be fine, or two. But typically you shouldn't go over around 6 or so. But you should never have a paragraph this long. The reason for keeping your paragraphs simple and short, is that readers don't have very long attention spans. I put in bold the spots where I think you should split it at! :D Hope that helps ya!

INFOOOO DUMPS!

Well I'm going to talk about info dumps right now.. (obviously :P)

For example this paragraph...

Heck, I'm so sorry to be cutting out so much all the time! :'(

Now when trying to put in information, its best to not do it, in big paragraphs, and IN ONE SITTING. In one sitting meaning, all at the same time.

For one: It bores the reader to death, even if the info is cool. (which I'm telling ya, this stuff is!)
For two: It will go right past their heads, as they will scan through it all, hoping to get all the basics, and they'll miss out of most of it. Think about it this way... if you were a reader, and I wanted to explain to you that so and so (my character) was going to have to be diagnosed for such and such, and I decided to tell you about it, in one huge block of a paragraph, then you wouldn't know what I was talking about! It would go right over your head, and the whole gist of it all, would just fly right by. Hope that made a bit of sense... :D

My main point would be this: Give the info to your readers, little bits at a time, throughout the entire work. Try to avoid giving them huge blocks of info, in order to make sure that they have it all stored in their heads. :D

Caught some more redundancy... my advice for in the future, to avoid this problem (hehe, this advice was given to me when I first joined this site, as I used to suck at making sure my works weren't redundant) is to read the work out loud to yourself, and just listen for any type of redundant words or phrases. :P

The giant knelt down and his knees landed on the earth with a great crash!

OUCH, that does not sound nice! Grr, I imagined this for a moment... I tried to imagine myself holding onto something, while something crashed into the earth with a huge bang! OUCH. Glad I'm not a pixie!

My concern with this is to, describe the reaction, as well as the action. So you got the action in their when you talk about how his knees landed on the earth with a crash, but what about the reaction? Try to describe the earth's reaction to the crash, instead of just telling us that it crashed. :D

And that's all for now! Hope this helped ya!

Keep writing! And if you need another review on anything, feel free to ask me! :D

~Cricket

IamTraunt wrote a review...

Hey, jazzydracula! IamTraunt here to review!

Okay... On with the corrections! :D

Nitpicking Time!

Chrysanthemum let out a sigh, held her breath and dived head first into the puddle.

Now, you said you want to improve this chapter and I think the first to do is look over some words. So I was thinking, Chry is swimming in this puddle, and you use the word 'puddle more than once' why not put a different word? You could use such words as:
Pool of water, tarn, reservoir, water... and so on.

The road continued infront of her, it travelled beyond the horizon and was made up of alternating mountains and lakes.

'Infront' is two separate words. It should be:
The road continued in front of her, it travelled beyond the horizon and was made up of alternating mountains and lakes.

Infact she made a promise to herself that no matter how difficult it would be, she'd travel to every single village and city in the realm; seeking out adventure and knowledge.

It should be:
In fact, she made a promise to herself that no matter how difficult it would be, she'd travel to every single village and city in the realm; seeking out adventure and knowledge.

Chrysanthemum trecked over the last rocky mountain, all wet and sore and dirty and extremely tired, then she saw the village.

There is a lot of redundancy in this paragraphs because of the 'and's. Why not put:
[i]Chrysanthemum trecked over the last rocky mountain. She was wet, sore, dirty and extremely tired. She soon saw the village.

It caused an enormous earthquake, sending her flying backwards up, up into the air.

You don't really need to put the extra 'up' in there or the comma.

It was a giant. It's tremendously large foot was infact the asteroid in question.

Again, 'infact' is not all one word.

She placed her hand into a pocket in the inner seam of her dress (where items would be safe from waters and windy wheather) and pulled out her magical glasses and whistle.

Typo. 'Wheather' should be 'weather'.

You've got a good story going on here! Quite a few mistakes, but still - it is very unique and exciting. Well done!

jazzydracula says...

Thank you for reviewing it! I'll be sure to fix those things.

IamTraunt says...

You're welcome!

Tue May 13, 2014 11:39 am
valdez wrote a review...

your story is really good and got me hooked the moment i read the title it is a very interesting concept on which to base a story and i think its very original the way you described the hight differences between a human and pixie really got me to realise how different a pixies life is to ours. the only problem I found in the story was the range of vocabulary was quite limited and the fact skyscrapers appeared in a fantasy book skyscrapers were only invented in modern times

But for an over all review it was very good and cant wait for the next update happy writing

Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 am
GrapeNerd wrote a review...

Hello, and welcome to YWS!

First off, I think your concept is interesting, especially the way you started the story. I love how you explained how giants are kind of misinterpreted by us; the humans. I especially love the pixie's name! In all honesty, the length of your story kind of discouraged me (I'm not too fond of long stories on the internet, but I think it's fun to read!) but as soon as I started to read, I couldn't stop! I really don't have much to say about this aside from "Good job!" but I'll try my best to give you a nice first review!

Now the 'nitpicks.' Don't worry, there aren't very many.

I can't help but notice that you keep spelling 'in fact' as one word which kind of bothered me, so I guess that needs some editing..

I like how you explained that the giants were the ones who built the skyscrapers, although, in all honesty, I think skyscrapers don't really fit the story as much. Why not try something else, like maybe Stonehenge? Or that it's them that cause the forming of hills or whatever.

I guess that's it!

I'm really interested in this story/novel, and I hope you update soon! You can bet that I'll continue on reading more of your works in the future, but in the mean time, keep writing!
If you need any help or would just like someone to review your works, feel free to ask me! I mean it!
Cheers,
GrapeNerd

Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman