z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

My Darling

by WritingWolf


(I would like to note that I intentionally wrote this to sound old. That means capitalizing each line, using thou/thy instead of you, and putting "an" instead of "a" in front of words that begin with H. So keep in mind that things like that are intentional.)

Why hath thou flown away?
As a bird with wings of gold
That forms songs of light
That play throughout dusk.

Fascinating is thy constancy.
An ubiquitous thing thou stay.
It is hard to not find you,
I turn away, and still thou go on and on.

Thy stunning sounds infold this human
Who is trying only to grasp why I find you in all words.
No point can I find, that you don't raid.
No city is void of you.

So why is it now, at an hour thou should occur,
You fly away? Why hath thou flown away?
What land do you occupy now?
Why is it not this land?

I shalt not turn away,
No, not this day.
I want you now
But I cannot find you,

Now I can't find
Words to say
What I want.

For an
Obligation
To adopt
Your song.

It prohibits
My own
Song from
Flowing, and
Running wild.

I cannot
Do this
Without you.

Oh why,
Hath thou
Flown
Away?

What a
Stunning
Sound!

My
Darling
E.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
100 Reviews


Points: 6717
Reviews: 100

Donate
Sun May 25, 2014 11:28 am
View Likes
Hecate wrote a review...



Hey WritingWolf,

I love this. It feels like a trip through time, if that is what you intended. You start off with a very archaic style and then, as the poem gets choppier and you start utilizing 'you' and 'your' instead of 'thou', I feel like we're transported through modern times. Perhaps an implication that the theme you deal with is eternal? Perhaps something else?

The form of the poem seems to be very important in this piece. It goes from more or less uniform stanzas to smaller and smaller, choppier stanzas. However, the uniformity at the very beginning is ruined by this line:

Who is trying only to grasp why I find you in all words.


Beautiful line, by the way :) Like most of the rest of the poem, really. I just felt like you ought to really try and stick to the uniform structure of the poem at that stage, as it seems to be important to the overall message of your poem. On the other hand, I fully understand why you would not want to butcher this line. Perhaps, you could work on it to by shortening it, but still retaining its original beautiful meaning. Would taking 'only' out work? That's just one suggestion, though maybe after some thought you'll come up with something better.

There was also one stanza I did not particularly care for:

I shalt not turn away,
No, not this day.
I want you now
But I cannot find you,


It sounded almost like a whiny, teen pop song in the top 40 chart. It does not fit at all with the rest of the poem. I think from 'No, not this day' is where the problems begin. I particularly dislike 'I want you know, but I can't find you'. It sounds a little simple and shallow and not very well thought out. You probably know this, but with poems, you ought to make all of it count. None of it should feel rushed or not thought out, and I thought this did and it detracted a little from the poem for me.

But, other than that, I thought it was a beautiful poem :)

Keep writing,

Hecate




User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 172

Donate
Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:48 am
View Likes
Laure wrote a review...



Hello! Laure here as requested! I must say, this is a wonderful wonderful poem written in such a beautiful and archaic style too! More like Shakespearean really, do you read a lot fo Shakespeare? The imagery in this poem is highlighted by your consistent use of the language throughout the whole poem, and I just adore some of these metaphors.

As a bird with wings of gold
That forms songs of light


The general pace and rhythm of this poem was rather smooth and steady the whole way through, you varied your sentences and even when you had the occasional long sentence it didn't interrupt the flow of the poem. I don't have much to nitpick about, except the use of thou and thy throughout the poem. I know this is meant to be written in such a style, so I've put that into consideration. I noticed you tend to repeat thou at least twice in a certain stanzas,

So why is it now, at an hour thou should occur,
You fly away? Why hath thou flown away?
What land do you occupy now?
Why is it not this land?


Look at the bolded words, that's like saying two 'you' or 'your' in the same stanza, is a bit too repetitive. So maybe, substitute another word?

Beside that, I loved the poem, especially how you used the language and the imagery was magnificent. Hope I wasn't too blunt.

~Laure




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:42 am
View Likes
Wolfi wrote a review...



I loved the whole feeling to this poem. The old dialect contributed beautifully to the entire mood. The only flaw that I noticed started at stanza five and continued on for a few stanzas. These lines didn't contain any of the old language you perfectly used earlier and later in the poem. I understand that these words may be difficult to input into these shorter stanzas, however, so this is not a big issue. It's just the only "issue" that I could find...
Otherwise, splendid poem. It must have been very difficult to avoid the use of "e" until the very end.
Write on!
~Wolfie36




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 1045
Reviews: 9

Donate
Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:59 pm
View Likes
Ibounce wrote a review...



This is an excellent poem. There are only a few mistakes and a few confusing parts, so good job! You have placed commas in extra places a few times, stanzas 8 and 10 specifically.
You have several sentence fragments, but I guess poetic license grants you the right to write however you want. Also, the random E. at the end? Other that those things, a really excellent poem.




WritingWolf says...


The e isn't random. That's what the entire poem is about. You will notice that that is the only place where E appears in the poem. (there were several places that where quite difficult to write without using e)



Ibounce says...


Aah.



Wolfi says...


That's neat!




As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda