z

Young Writers Society


12+

What Disturbance in Sleep May Lead One To Do

by mprome12


I can't sleep because

There's music blaring outside

And right now I feel like throwing a brick

At whoever's playing it, at this time of night

My pillow won't muffle the blasting sound

The windows can't seem to block it

And the songs, they're sinfully awful

I wish they'd just stop it

But apparently, unlike decent people

There are some who not only don't sleep

But also keep the city awake

With their ghastly melodies

And those certain people

Happen to be sitting right outside

Listening to their ear-splitting tunes

And keeping me up all night

But is this really unstoppable?

There's got to be some way

I really need to get some winks

Tomorrow's a big day

So should I go to window and ask them to stop?

Should I scream, scold, and rant?

They really would deserve it though

If I went with the brick-throwing plan

Well fine then, it's decided

For I can take this pain no more

I'll get up from bed and fetch that brick

And end this nuisance for good

Yeah, I'll just open the window wide

And fling my weapon with careful aim

I'll hit that bloody stereo

And I won't have to suffer again

So let me get on with this plan of mine

And no, I'm not overreacting, I'm not possessed

This is truly very necessary

I really need my rest

Now I'm standing at the window,

Brick poised in my hand

I'm about to lean forward and let it fly

When something stops me in my tracks

It's the first rays of sunlight in the sky

What? It's....it's already dawn?

And the music; just now have I

Realized it's...gone

Which means

I stayed up all night scheming, uselessly

But at least I've got this poem :p


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 1025
Reviews: 31

Donate

User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 6395
Reviews: 60

Donate
Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:57 pm
View Likes
queerelves wrote a review...



I really like this poem. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but I really like how it's almost rambling--like someone who didn't sleep would do. The lack of punctuation obviously makes it difficult to know where to stop, and I may be wrong here, but it seems intentional since you did put punctuation occasionally. I absolutely love poems that don't follow proper grammar rules, because breaking grammar rules shows an intentional stylistic choice, so I really love what you did with this. Again, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but I also like the way you didn't divide it into stanzas. Like I said, it makes the poem sounds like you're rambling just like a sleep deprived person would be rambling. (And now I'm rambling :P)

In some places I really enjoyed your word choice and phrasing, but in other places it just didn't flow right. "Sinfully awful" seemed a little redundant, and it just didn't seem to flow right. For some reason, I really like "There are some who not only don't sleep/But also keep the city awake." I'm not sure what about it I like, but I really like how it sounds! Another part I really liked: "So should I go to window and ask them to stop?/Should I scream, scold, and rant?/They really would deserve it though/If I went with the brick-throwing plan." It flows nicely, and it just barely rhymes--enough for it to sound good. (Actually, I think those lines are my favorite in the whole poem). However, there was another part I didn't think flowed to well: "Yeah, I'll just open the window wide/And fling my weapon with careful aim/I'll hit that bloody stereo/And I won't have to suffer again." It seemed "chunky" almost, and it didn't flow as smoothly as the rest of the poem. Finally, I don't really like your use of ellipses. I think there are other ways you could have added the pause, and the ellipses, once again, keep it from flowing well.




mprome12 says...


Thank you so much, for taking the time to review my work! And about the lack of punctuation...the poem was originally divided into stanzas but something happened when I posted it and it ended up like this, but maybe I'm glad it happened now. I know the poem does sound very chunky in places, but unfortunately, I'm a perfectionist and am always hell-bent on making the words rhyme so its hard to come up with a stanza that rhymes perfectly AND flows nicely at the same time :P. Thanks again for the great review!



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 323
Reviews: 83

Donate
Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:23 pm
View Likes
Crimsona wrote a review...



Hello there! Crim here to review your poem.

Ah, your poem reminds me of some of my early stuff! (Although it's a lot better than what I used to write)

I like it! It was quite amusing. I like some of the wording:

'ghastly melodies' <- I loved that!

However I do have quite a few problems with it. Firstly, the lack of punctuation made it very difficult to read - it completely destroyed the flow because I had to idea where I was supposed to pause, what rhythm to read it or if there was a rhyme scheme or not. So firstly I would punctuate this poem and it would instantly make it about ten times better!

Secondly - it's more prose like that poetic to me, maybe that's because of the heavy narration and little description. I'm not quite sure how you could change that other than rewriting some of it to add in more imagery, description, maybe metaphors and similes etc etc. Or you could possibly make the lines a tad longer?

Thirdly, the semi colon you've used after 'And the music' is misplaced. I would replace it with a dash or a colon instead.

The ending was funny. I enjoyed this poem, however because it's a humor poem I feel that it would benefit hugely from a rhythm, because that's half of why humorous poems are so funny! (And if this was from an experience that you personally had then I'm so sorry! It's such a nightmare when people are inconsiderate and play loud music... grr!)

If you have any questions about my review, please don't hesitate to shoot a message my way! Keep writing,

Crim




mprome12 says...


Thanks for the review! It meant a lot to me!
About the punctuation and all- the poem was originally divided into stanzas but after I typed it up and posted it, the website did something to it and the spaces between the individual stanzas disappeared! I'm sorry you had a hard time reading it though. And yes I know, language is hardly poetic :p I can't help it! Its just my style and I attempting to write like Shakespeare or Wordsworth would just result in an epic fail for me.
Thanks again!




Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain