The Fourth World: Ch5 Part 3

by thegirlwhowrites

These are the Banned Books. These are the books that the Authority does not know of. These are the books which might actually come from our past, not the books the Authority provides for us, written by Members.

It takes a large part of me to grab hold of that rope in the back of my mind and pull me back in before spiralling in between these pages and never wanting to leave this room. This small and narrow room, I remind myself. I can’t dive into these words, I need to find out more.

“Banned Books.” I whisper.

“Yes, yes.” Noah has a slight twitch in his left eye. Plus, he has a bloodshot expression which tells me that he’s either impatient or excited. “This is the last refuge remaining, at least that we know of. This is where we meet.”

“Who’s ‘we’?”

He smiles, “Just a bunch of misfits.”

***

“You’re risking everything if you do this.”

A few steps behind me, Kole and Sky are talking in hushed voices, it’s hard to make out what they say.

“What is it that I’m risking anyways, my freedom?” Skylar snickers.

“You know what I mean.” Kole snaps back, not in a harsh tone but he is definitely not keen on making jokes.

“Yeah, okay, whatever.”

“I just wanted you to know.” Kole calls after him as Sky makes his way towards me. “You know this isn’t just talk anymore. You don’t want to fail again. We don’t even know exactly what and who we’re up against, we don’t know the consequences.”

Sky doesn’t turn around.

“I said I’m ready.”

He approaches me, his eyes locked in a staring contest with his feet. Behind us, I could hear Kole sigh, not an exasperated one, more like a feeling of worry. As if he’s scared this fragile piece of glass will fall off the edge of a cliff. I glance back and see him vanishing back underground into what seemed like a separate world.

We walk silently through the same way as to how we got here. It’s strange how it must have been just an hour ago, and yet now it’s a part of my past I will never get back. A time where I didn’t know of secret rebel groups hiding underground, when I didn’t know of Skylar’s true secrets hidden beneath his mask, how he can let himself free only underground, veiled from this world. This world which now seems unknown to me. How is this the same way I walked an hour ago? It can’t be. So much has changed since then; and yet everything looks the same.

When they had finally let me out of the little room with Noah, everything after that sort of rushed past me in a blur. I remember everyone looking at me, and then Kole announcing I was allowed into the group. I remember thinking, When did I ask to be in this group? How did I even get to this? But I was given no time to speak. He read out to me a list of rules or principles:

1. You are not to speak of this group with anyone from the outside world
  2. Don’t do anything which risks the secrecy or safety of the group.
  3. Never get yourself involved with the Authority unless planned with the rest of the group.
He stopped talking after that, nodded to Jai and next thing I knew she came up to me, took my left hand and I felt a short, stinging pain coming from the left side of my index finger.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Symbol of our group.” She said. “Represents wholeness and unity.”

That was the last time I spoke, after the incision into my finger Kole nodded to Sky and he lead me out back into the open. Now here we are, side by side as we were 10 years ago and yet separated by miles of questions and secrets.

After a while I’ve grown tired of letting the wind carry my questions, and I finally let one out.

“Sky, I,” My voice falters. I don’t even know how to start. “What is this group? Who are these people?”

“You shouldn’t have followed me.” He doesn’t look up to answer me.

I’m caught off guard by his answer. He’s right. I wish I hadn’t.

I try changing the subject before we go into another eternity of silence.

“What’s up with that girl… Lou? Why is she so… you know.”

“Lou has anger issues, I guess. A great fighter, someone who’s always on the edge of their seat ready to either protect you with her life or turn you into ash. I bet it has something to do with her past, something which I bet you will always remain a mystery to the world. No one knows anything about her, and no one probably ever will.”

“Kole is the leader isn’t he?”

“Yeah, I would call him that. Although sometimes it’s like you have to remind him.” He pauses and finally looks up at me. “He can’t remember anything of his life before last year. He says he just has this feeling that something is wrong in this world, and that something is out there.”

I want to ask about Jai, I want to ask about the young man who seems to follow me everywhere I go, but he answers my questions before I get the chance to ask them.

“Jai and Lucas, they’re the quiet and mysterious ones. I don’t know much about them, apart from that they’re obviously against the Authority.” I’m surprised as to how nonchalantly he just stated that, it’s not something I’m used to hearing everyday. “Oh, sorry. Forgot how new you are to all this.” He must have noticed the hint of shock in my expression. “Don’t worry, soon enough you’ll be thinking like us.”

I don’t know who he means to reassure with that comment. Do I even want to think like Skylar? Do I want to question my society, put my whole life at risk?

“Agro, the big guy who sat in front of Jai, he’s basically just there to grumble the whole time. Doesn’t give any suggestions or ideas, just there to tell us off. As if he were some sort of guard asked to keep an eye on us or something.” I heard Sky muttering to himself after that, “Like, who does he think he is coming here just…”

“Last but not least?” I ask.

“Oh yeah. That loony head.” I restrain the urge to laugh hearing that from Sky. “Noah. Ever since he started blabbing on about beings from other planets invading our own and magical resurrecting birds, we chose to just leave him be. He thinks he himself isn’t human. He keeps coming up with these insane ideas on how we’ve all been brainwashed by aliens.”

Ironic how I must sometimes think the same about Sky as he does about Noah.

We keep walking, and I get that same tingling feeling I got on my spine when I followed him to the refuge. It’s not cold, but I hear my teeth clattering against each other, shivering.

“Don’t you get a…strange feeling about this forest? Like, I don’t know, everything’s dead?”

I expect him to make some sarcastic comment about it being haunted, instead I get something very different.

“Everything is dead. Well, not dead, just not alive. Artificial.” He knocks hard on the tree nearest him, a bang of metal echoing in my ears. “You see, after the wars the Authority tried all they could to hide the ruins as they were,” He rolls his eyes and makes quotation signs with his hands, “reminders of inhumanity. They knew that this area was likely to have secret rebel refuges, so they tried concealing this part of the city from the people by creating the ‘Infernal Forest’.”

My ears suddenly pounce at the sound of clanging of metal. Skylar raises his hand to a tree and knocks hard. I follow his movements, but at the touch of the tree I do not feel something hard and metallic as I expected. The tips of my fingers scrape against the rough bark of the tree, disguised as any other one.

“You see what I mean now with the ‘don’t trust the Authority?’ They’re a bunch of lying, manipulative, power-hungry tyrants, hiding behind their polished white uniforms, holding us by a couple of strings with their left hands as if we were puppets.”

I hush him. The last thing I need, he needs, is his comments to be heard by those who could do something about them. As I think I realize, why am I even telling myself this? I am basically saying that there is no freedom of speech. Is that not proof that Sky’s insane talks of defiance are true? Stop it. I mentally slap myself. It is way too early to make myself believe that Sky is right.

“I say it’s finally time to cut the strings.” He says.

After that we walk in silence, past the lying trees and the masses of gray blocks beyond.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:11 pm
Deanie wrote a review...

Ooh this is the last chapter and then I am all caught up!

Awh, it's so sad that this has added some tension on to their old relationship. I mean, it was granted it was going to happen now that all the secrets separating them have been revealed into the open, but it was still a very sad thing to see. I hope they can quickly resolve it as all the mysteries and secrets are bought out into the open...

I have a few things that could use some work here!

“Banned Books.” I whisper.

So this is basically repeated from the previous chapter but then in different words! Because this is all parts of the same chapter, putting it together makes it seem like her thoughts are repeating and that she chants, "Banned books," twice, which would be weird. So maybe cut one, either this or the other and combine the two so all necessary information is still in there. Also, the first paragraph was a bit choppy... I advise you link up some sentences here.

Who is Kole? I got confused because in the previous chapter we don't exactly match up the name a face yet, so maybe that should be included. Speaking of names and faces, it would be very nice if mystery-blue eyed guy got a name now! Even if she is just asking Skylar what it is as they are walking. I didn't mind it for a while but because of the length of time we've known him it's kind of annoying having nothing to refer to him by.

Other than those points, everything has already been covered by previous reviewers! I am definitely loving this story and you just have to tell me when the next bit is up! Drop a link on my wall and I will jump to it as soon as possible! Keep up the good writing ;)

Deanie x

-who is kole
-does blue eyed stranger have a name yet.

Hi :)
Yes, I'll let you know as soon as it's up
okay, so Kole is the leader of the group, the one who sent her to the storage room before.
Oh, and I don't know maybe I should make it clearer but Lucas is his name. I say it up in this part when Sky starts talking about Jai.
One more thing, at the top here I think I repeat bits from the last chapter just to make it more clear for people who are just reading from here.

Aravis10 wrote a review...

Hi! I just want to start by saying I haven't read any of the other chapters (so I was just a little confused). This has a really intriguing plot line. Everyone seems suspicious and mysterious.
Your tenses changed a few times. I would go back and read it very slowly to see if it mainly stays in present tense. (I realize that your main character told about a past occurrence, but that could be a little more clear)
In the second paragraph, you say "This small and narrow room." Did you mean "This is a small and narrow room"?
"Behind us, I could hear Kole sigh, not an exasperated one, more like a feeling of worry. As if he’s scared this fragile piece of glass will fall off the edge of a cliff." I would combine that into one sentence. It's less choppy.
Lastly, you mentioned that the character's ears pounced. I've heard of pouncing cats, but never of pouncing ears. ???
Sounds like a very interesting book! Post on my wall if you ever want me to review any more of them! :)

Thank you! Yes, I should really pay more attention to those tenses :D

inspirus wrote a review...

Hello there! Inspirus here to review your lovely piece of work.
Well, I would begin with the nitpicks first. First, I have noticed a repeated pattern of grammatical incorrectness. To be precise, when written a speech, only a comma should precede the speakers tag and the first letter should be promptly capitaised, that is on the event that it's not a question that is the speech. For example,

should be:

“I say it’s finally time to cut the strings,” he says.

and:

should be:

“Sky, I,” my voice falters. I don’t even know how to start. “What is this group? Who are
these people?”

Finally:
“Symbol of our group.” She said. should be, “Symbol of our group," he said

I myself make such mistakes awfully much. :)

There is also this part that you forgot a question mark in the second question.

and here too:

“Like, who does he think he is coming here just…(?)”

And that's just about nitpicks I struggled so hard to find. The nitpicks without which my review would have seemed a praise paragraph rather than a helpful review. So let not my criticism paint the illusion of dissatisfaction. This chapter, it enthralled me.
Apart from my ignorance of the characters and the background story, owing to my lack of the reading of the previous chapters, everything was great! I don't want to sound like an age prejudiced reviewer but for your age, your language by far surpasses my expectations. Your imagination is amazing and the transformation of your mind's thoughts into actual words is great really.
I loved how you used present tense narration. It makes your work unique and tasteful. There's a downside to it though. There are some situations where past tense is inevitable and well, that could lead to some sort of confusion. I recommend that you research more on how to pull that off.
For example, this scenario, Kole and Sky are are in a conversation that is transcending. I reckon that 'say here should be in present continuous.

A few steps behind me, Kole and Sky are talking in hushed voices, it’s hard to make out what they (are saying).

and also here, I think 'seemed' should be 'seems'

I glance back and see him vanishing back underground into what seemed (seems) like a separate world.

For me, I would have easily been lured into using past tense in so many situations when using this kind of narration. I think the fact that you pulled it off almost perfectly speaks volumes of your writing prowess.
I can tell that you will be a great writer, if not that you are already. :) Keep up the excellent work!

Wow thank you for making my day :D
I will try to fix those things and thnk you for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

mephistophelesangel wrote a review...

Hey thegirlwhowrites! Happy review day, first of all! :)

Okay. First, I haven't read any chapters of this story yet except for this one, so I'm sorry if any misunderstandings happen to occur.

So, this is a present-tense writing. But I saw a couple of tense-mistakes in this writing. "Behind us, I could hear Kole sigh,... I glance back and see him vanishing back underground into what seemed like a separate world..." It should be, "...I can hear Kole sigh... into what seem like a separate world."

Second, I have a piece of advice for your ending. Right now ,it says, "After that we walk in silence, past the lying trees and the masses of gray blocks beyond." I think that it should do better as, "...past the fallen trees and the masses of gray blocks, leaving them behind." Because, you know... "...the masses of gray blocks beyond." Doesn't really make sense, considering the whole sentence. Maybe the gray blocks are in this place called 'beyond'? I don't know. But right now, it doesn't really read well. You could take a look at that.

Third of all, in the beginning, you say, "...It takes a large part of me to grab hold of that rope in the back of my mind and pull me back in before spiralling in between these pages and never wanting to leave this room." It's a little confusing. Perhaps it would be better if you said,
"It takes a great energy for me, to grab that rope that is attached to the back of my mind and pull myself back in, before I go spiraling in between these pages and never want to leave this room."

Well, anyway. I really liked this. This seems interesting, the main character is intriguing, and the background is one I haven't seen before. Great job!

Keep on writing, Mephis

thank you!
I'll look at those and fix those sentences!

You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time