Crap, I think I love you.

by retrodisco666

Dear Chris,

I think I love you.

This is crazy, and I know

we've only had a few dates

but I really think I love you.

.

I came to this conclusion this morning

when I was counting the seconds

between your texts. I had more exposure

to the light on my phone than the one outside my

window because I could not bear to miss

your text. Where as your average reply time

was 384 second and mine reached a staggering

3.84 seconds because any longer and

you might think I don't care about you.

.

This conclusion hit me like a ton of bricks.

Like laying on a train track when it is due

to pass through. Like driving fast in your car.

Like being mauled by a Lion which happens

to share your last name. Like green lights all the way

home, half priced food, like my favorite constellation

lighting up the night sky like an orchestra

of fairy lights which play to the beat of my heart.

.

When you started work today I missed

you in milliseconds. I trawled through

your social media presence. I found

my favorite photo of you. I decided your smile

when you stick out your tongue is

the most perfect thing I've ever seen.

I know that you love Thai food,

back to the future,

that your cat is called belle

because the first time you watched

beauty and the beast you cried

like I do knowing that you probably

do not love me back.

.

Dear Chris.

I love you, I am sorry

for loving you. I am sorry for

wanting you to hold me in the

winter nights. I dream of our wedding,

by the way blue suits you so well,

I dream of our children

Christmas morning, celebrating

your birthday, dancing to my favorite song.

I want to tell you all this,

I want to tattoo it on my chest

like it already is on my heart.

I want to scream it so loud

that it cannot be ignored,

write it on the side of a building

in 28 foot letters.

I would do anything for you to think this way

about me. For you to have little things

about me that you obsess over.

For you to want to count my eyelashes,

make me my favorite meal,

serenade me with a love song.

For you to be laid awake

at night, counting the seconds between

my texts, lost in the darkness,

laid alone thinking

crap, I think I love you.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:06 am
jacelevasco wrote a review...

Hi retrodisco666! :) You did a great job writing this poem. If Chris was a real person, then I hope you get that person (I'm not sure whether Chris is a male or a female). May the odds be ever in your favor. ;)

I can see your honesty and sincerity in writing this poem. I think this poem is like a window to your conscience; and through it one can see the innocence of your feelings and emotions. You managed to stay away from cliches, despite this poem being a 'confession'. Actually, I had a good time reading your poem. I may have related to a few lines or so.

I read your reply to one of the reviews. You said being choppy and random is your style, or at least, the style you used in this poem. I respect that. People have different styles of writing.

From my perspective, I think a better choice of words and a cleaner approach would do better for this concept. It's like a short story made to look like a poem. Perhaps it's your style, and I respect that.

Also, I noticed this:

Where as your average reply time was 384 second and mine reached a staggering 3.84 seconds because any longer and you might think I don't care about you.

I think the text in bold should read "was 384 seconds". Correct me if I'm wrong.

What I really like about this poem is the honesty and sincerity in it. It's giving an impression that you're a transparent man. :)

Honest. Adorable. Nice work. :)

I've read some of your other works. Some works blend, while some stand out. I think you're a great writer. :)

Keep writing. Have a nice day. :)

Em101cats wrote a review...

Hi, Retrodisco, it's Em101cats here to review!

Wow. Wow! How many times have I said this reviewing your poems? Approximately 495734958743895 times! (Just kidding, not possible really, given I joined not long ago. But hey, who cares?)

One little nitpick I have is when you say his cat is named Belle. Now, I have no problem with the name itself. I love that name. But you don't capitalize 'Belle' you say 'belle.' But I do that all the time, trust me! ;)

Well. Do I have anything else to say here errorwise? Nope, don't think so!

I loved it soooooo much! Is it just me, or do you amaze me every time Retrodisco? Yep, you amaze me every time!

Keep up the great work!
~Em101cats~

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 am
MooCowPoop wrote a review...

Daww! So cute! This is such a nice piece of writing/love letter. The quirky little parts I found in it, like waiting for their person's replies via trxt message and even the part about being nore exposed to the light on the phone than the light outsode really just got to me. Those parts were beautiful. I do have to say that I am not a fan of the cliche you used "hit me like a ton of bricks". I think there's another creative way to say that, right? Ah, no matter the message was still vlear

I also like how you twisted it around in the end (for Chris to like the narrator).

Tiny thingy that's bugging me: in the beginning shouldn't "where as" be spelled " whereas"?

Ither than that, I think you really captured that whole idea of being love-- maybe for the first time -- so very well. This poem feels fluttery to me, just like how it feels to be in love. Bravo! :)

racket says...

I love this. I'll probably review it for real in a month or so, but this is beautiful and I love it. Please write more. Bravo.

luckystarz6090 wrote a review...

Lovely lovely images, especially the third and fourth stanzas. I see how this is a character poem. I completely saw your character.

On to the review:
Because this is a review, I'll be blunt. I did not like the first two stanzas. In my opinion, the poem didn't really start to happen until the third on, but the rest was so wonderful, it deserves to be recognized. I do see the necessity of the first two stanzas, like the first twenty minutes of the movie where it sets up before the action really gets going, so I'm not saying get rid of it...I guess I just wish you put a bit more figurative language in the first two or a bit more whimsy like that last stanzas.
My favorite line: I decided your smile when you stick out your tongue is the most perfect thing I've ever seen. Funny and poignant.

I'm also trying to figure out how you decided to end your lines, what significance did the form of your poem show...it kind of seems random to me, and I wish I could see the thought behind it, like it would reveal more secrets about this character...

Anyways, overall, I really did love it, how you showed the little things that make love so perfect yet frightening. Keep up the great work:)

kaykay98 says...

this a good writing

mephistophelesangel wrote a review...

Hey retrodisco666!

As CholeAB also mentioned, you did a really good job at making this love poem not sound cliche. I could understand 'I' very, very well, because you created very rich imagery for the reader and told us 'I's emotional statues smoothly. Just a few nitpicks I want to go over;

In a poem, I'm pretty sure that you gotta capitalize every verses of the poem. So, like,

[make me my favorite meal,

serenade me with a love song.] probably should be [Make me my favorite meal,

Serenade me with a love song.]

Also, I just noticed that you cut off lines a lot. For example, "...counting the seconds between my texts..." is cut off in-between the between and my, which makes it sound choppy. I don't want to force my opinion upon you but personally, I think that it should read more smoothly. Right now, it's like this; "(playing a game) Oh shoot, the wifi shut down! (clicks the mouse desperately) Hey, it's back again! Yay, one level u- (shuts down again) Damn it, it was going so good!"
You get what I mean by that?
This goes on for the entire poem. I really don't want to sound harsh, but yeah, it makes your poem sound very choppy and disturbs the line of thoughts. For some people it might be an effect that makes it better to read, but to me, sorry, it doesn't.

But, other than that, I loved it. Thank you for letting me read this, retrodisco!

Keep on writing, Mephis

Hey I appreciate your comments:) I think that's just my
Style :) I quite like the choppiness myself and the enjambement but that's just me :)

ChloeAB wrote a review...

I loved this poem and normally don't lie poems. I thought this had a unique way of expressing the love felt for 'Chris' without it sounding cliched or cringey. I thought the poem flowed really well but I also liked the pauses midline as this fractured the flow and helped to express the idea of uncertainty and love that isn't reciprocated. Overall, I thought this was a great poem, and I couldn't stop reading it after I started :)

birk says...

Hey Retro!

I really like this, it's a pretty emotional little piece. You've been quite active lately, I love it!

Edit

I want to tattoo it on my chest

Pretty much all I need to comment on. ;)

Keep it up!

Cheers
Birkhoff

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.
— Lyndon B. Johnson