Hourglass-chapter three

by Laure

She rubbed the petals of the black and white posy between her forefingers and her thumb, black and white was her winter colour. Though its reign was about to end, she wasn’t ready to morph into the kaleidoscopic colours. Tendrils of heat snaked up her cheek with alarming speed, she shifted her gaze from the candle and lifted up to the two youngsters she had awaited for many amoons.

Their tension mixed with fear were as palpable to her as the worn wood beneath her fingertips, not that it mattered anymore. Hardly anything does when one has lived for so long. A weary sigh escaped her lips as she watched the pair took agonizing slow steps towards their hut.

She drummed her fingers rhythmically on the tabletop, a childhood song from days bygone. She could afford to be patient, this world however could not. They were close enough she could see their features through the webbed window. The boy was a familiar sight to her, much like his grandfather the blood runs strong.

She received an unwelcome jolt in her heart as she took the girl’s flaming hair and inquisitive eyes. Despite the intelligence and alertness she saw in those emerald gems, they was something not quite right. Yet she could not determine what that was.

She kept her gaze as the pair finally turned the door knob and stepped inside. The concurrent intake of breath empathize the bond the two shared, as she slowly turned around and faced them.

“Greetings, changer and keeper.” She greeted them formally and watched the emotions flitting across their faces. Shock, confusion, and yes anger.

“Who are you?” Keeper asked, eyes focused on her, a small frown graced his brows as he took a protective step forward.

The shadow of her smile stretched, ‘yes’, she thought, ‘everything is according to plan.’

“Me?” She raised her eyebrows and let a confusion settle over her face slowly.

“Yes, you.” The Changer stepped forward, a flame within a flame that burns bright in her eyes.

‘Yes,’ she nodded silently, ‘everything is according to plan.’

“I?” She chuckled lightly, unable to stop the amusement from flitting across her face. “I’m the Weaver.”

“And you the Changer,” She gestured to the girl, “and you the Keeper.’ And moved her hand to the boy.

“Changer? Keeper?” Identical frowns marred their brows and she felt her mouth twitch in their bemusement.

“Why should we even listen to you, and what are you doing here?” Changer asked, an underlayer of annoyance in her silvery voice.

“This is a free place for all to gather, I do not see your claim upon it. As to why I’m, you will see in time.”

Silence filled the small hut as the two pondered her words with quick glances and small gestures.

“Why do you keep calling us Changer and Keeper? We have our own names you know, is Sirce and Fael.”

“Keeper, you have yours and I have my preference. Or will you be so barbarian as to force me to call you by your name?” She let frost colour her tone and had the pleasure of watching the boy flustered with embarrassment.

“In time you will know, for your survival depends on it. But today, I will not force you into the unknown. I’m merely here according to plan. Sirce and Fael.” Their names were strange on her tongue, like a foreign flavor newly introduced to her.

“That still doesn’t answer the question of who you are, Weaver.” Sirce paused before Weaver, as if uncertain of the term and proceed to fixate her steady gaze on her.

“As aforementioned, changer.” She lifted her gaze up, “you will see in due time.” She stood up and winced at the groans of her bones and walked stiffly out of the hut. She paused at the door frame and said, “We will meet again soon.”

~

“Well, that wasn’t weird at all.” Fael leaned against the shut door and gestured to the woods outside.

“She’s dangerous.” She scowled lightly, fingers clutching together in a gesture of agitation.

“You think?” He snorted derisively, “Random lady appears out of nowhere, and managed to creep me out. Not dangerous at all.”

She threw him an amused look before restoring her expression back into the previous one, half pondering, half scowling. “You’ve got your thinking face on, figured out anything?” She shook her head mutely and breathed out a sigh of defeat, “No, I keep feeling like I know her from somewhere.” “No, don’t give me that look, is just a hunch.” He nodded for her to go on, “Remember Lady Glass from those nursery tales our parents told us?” “Yeah, I’ve heard it so many times, how could I even forget.” He chuckled then paused as a disbelieving look came over his eyes, “you’re not saying that weird woman was Lady Glass?” “It was a hunch, Fael. Something about her felt out of our time,” She jumped off the table top and headed for the door, “I’m going to the Great Library to find out all I can on her, you coming?” “Beats staying up here all alone and cold, besides I’ve got you.” He smirked at her scowl and opened the door, “after you, milady.” “Shut up.” She growled softly, her words followed by a punch to his chest. His timbre laugh trilled after her as he closed the door behind him with a sturdy click.

Deanie wrote a review...

Hey there Laure!

Yeah, it's your adoptive parent again! I am much liking this new-found title actually. Maybe I should add to my collection of adoptive children...

As for this chapter, it opens up a lot of mysterious and questions I am looking forwards to having answered. For example, what are the titles Keeper, Changer and Weaver all about? Was that woman Lady Glass? I am looking forwards to knowing more about her. You did also give us a very nice description of Fael and Sirce when it came to their appearance as well, which was something nice to have on there. It was a bit of a sudden point of view change, but I am okay with it. Just as long as you mention the people approaching are actually Sirce and Fael earlier so we know it isn't told from their point of view beforehand, and can adapt to it being someone else.

One thing I also wanted to have was a character description of whoever (I'm going to refer to her as Lady Glass) is! I feel like although it was handy to have that of the friends, it's also important to know what this mysterious lady looks like as well! All we have to go on is that standing up is difficult for her, which leads me to believe she is a bit elderly? I wonder what this plan is she seems to be following as well. Again, something I think I will find out more about in future chapters!

A bigger problem though is you and commas. Although sometimes you use them right, sometimes you use commas a replacement for a word that should be there, or join two sentences together that really shouldn't be. I know this can't apply to chapters you've already posted, but in future chapters and more writing you'll do, make sure you watch out for this! Reading it through out loud can show you where pauses are unnecessary, or necessary or just don't really fit. Now let's tackle some of these situations and other nitpicks...

She rubbed the petals of the black and white posy between her forefingers and her thumb, black and white was her winter colour.

I think this comma should really be this mark ; I have no clue what it's called :P

Tendrils of heat snaked up her cheek with alarming speed, she shifted her gaze from the candle and lifted up to the two youngsters she had awaited for many amoons.

I think a typo of adding an 'a' to moons was done here. Also, the comma here is an example of what I mentioned before. This is replaced a full stop. Really this should be two separate sentences because one is focus on the heat, and the other is about the candle and the youngsters coming. (Wait, does this mean she had been sitting in that shack waiting for them to approach for a few days? Because that would be weird D: Maybe say something like, the two youngsters she had awaited to meet for many moons? Because than it makes it clear she wasn't just in that shack... waiting... like a stalker O.O)

A weary sigh escaped her lips as she watched the pair took agonizing slow steps towards their hut.

I think you mean 'take' instead of 'took'.

The boy was a familiar sight to her, much like his grandfather the blood runs strong.

Hm, I wonder how she knows Fael's grandfather? More questions to be answered... As well as this, I think the comma was used wrongly. I would make it two separate sentences and word it a bit different. Like so: The boy was a familiar sight to her. He looked much like his grandfather which made it evident the family blood run strong.

as she took the girl’s flaming hair and inquisitive eyes.

I don't think she really takes the girls hair and eyes from her? xD I think you mean 'took in'.

she saw in those emerald gems, they was something not quite right.

I would remove the comma from here and correct a misspell. Something like: she saw in those emerald gems that there was something not quite right.

She kept her gaze as the pair finally turned the door knob and stepped inside.

Wait, where did she keep her gaze? To the ground, on the approaching couple or where?

Shock, confusion, and yes anger.

A comma is needed after the yes.

a flame within a flame that burns

Because this is all in past tense, the that should be 'burned' instead.

As to why I’m, you will see in time.”

I think you're missing the word 'here' after the I'm in this sentence.

We have our own names you know, is Sirce and Fael.”

I think you mean it's instead of is.

“As aforementioned, changer.”

Watch out! Make sure you keep consistent with the capitalization.

And finally for nitpicks, I am not going to quote a whole paragraph. But every time a new speaker speaks (as you've done all the times before this) make sure you start a new paragraph! For some reason its all jam packed into two paragraphs, but I don't know if that is you or just YWS acting weird like it does every now and again :/

I actually like Sirce more in this chapter, but there is no significant reason :P Maybe it's because she hasn't really said much and we get to see her from a distance. As for everything else, I think you've done a good job. I get to see more of the setting here too, and unlike what Squall said, I did like the descriptions you used. Also, I really how you're describing Sirce, with her hair the colour of blazing fire and her eyes alight to match. (Ooh I figured out why I like her more!) You've described her as a very passionate, burning person, although perhaps a bit impulsive because of all this energy in her?

I guess I will find out in the next chapter. Also, aside from the review... maybe I ask why you had the title change? I am just wondering?

Deanie x

Laure says...

O.o Maybe we should have a chat to clear things up and to plot and stuff but anyways, thank you so so much Deanie. Ah, the name change actually means rebirth in Latin. I just felt that it had a more symbolic meaning on the novel.

Deanie says...

Ooh interesting *nods approvingly*
I will catch you next time I see you on chat! ;)

Noelle wrote a review...

You're forever promised sage feels absolutely guilty for not reviewing your thirds chapter earlier. The fact that I was busy should be no excuse. But here I am to review!

I like the way this story is going. I like stories that put me right in the middle of the action and get to the good part sooner than later. Throwing us into this action with Fael and Sirce is a great move in my opinion.

Maybe I missed this at the end of Chapter 2, but I'm a bit confused about who this Lady is. And all of the sudden she's narrating the chapter. Maybe you should clear that up a bit. But I like how she's being all secretive. You really shouldn't give away all the secrets of a book before their time. And that's exactly what you're doing here.

I agree with Squall. You're descriptions are good. I'm getting a clear image in my mind as I'm reading. Keep it up. Descriptions are just as important as action and the actual story.

Sorry for a lame review :/ I really should've written more. But I promise a better review for the next chapter!

**Noelle**

Squall wrote a review...

Your descriptions are getting better, but there are places where I feel they are a bit too vague or too abstract. You might want to keep that in mind in the future.

She greeted them formally and watched the emotions flitting across their faces. Shock, confusion, and yes anger.

Why anger? They would only be peeved off if said person has done something bad, but I'm assuming they have just met each other for the first time.

Better to name the person speaking instead of giving them their respective titles to avoid confusion.

Even if the woman is intruding in Fael's supposed spot, I would think they would ask in a more tactful manner, especially given the positions that they have. If an old woman is in your spot, there has to be an underlying reason as to why she would show up waiting for them. I think it would spark more curiosity than annoyance don't you think?

And the plan of the meeting was to...troll them?

She scowled lightly, fingers clutching together in a gesture of agitation. “You think?” He snorted derisively, “Random lady appears out of nowhere, and managed to creep me out. Not dangerous at all.”

The old lady would only be considered dangerous if she did something threatening...which she did not in this entire chapter.

He nodded for her to go on, “Remember Lady Glass from those nursery tales our parents told us?”

How did they deduce that she was actually Lady Glass? There wasn't any mention of what she's like in the nursery tales to do a comparison. And while I'm at it, I don't see any reason as to why they need to head to the library to learn more about this lady. She hasn't done anything threatening or gave away some plot elements to make them curious enough to do some research. All she did was showed up at the hut from out of the blue, teased them of their identity, made some brief warning that something was happening, but left nothing substantial to make them care enough of who she is. Given how brief and vague she was being, I would just think they'll just forget about what happened.

Overall impressions:

So your descriptions are getting better, but you still need to spend some time thinking about your plot more and what you're doing with your characters. There was entirely no point to the meeting whatsoever unless 1. You decide to make her a threat to the main characters and/or 2. She discusses with them the situation and helps/leads them to their purpose. Why would she go out of her way to wait for them to come, only to tease them and give them a brief and vague warning that they'll most likely ignore?

How your characters behaved in the situation was overall unrealistic. Confusion I get, but why annoyance? Yea, some old woman randomly shows up in your spot, but that is a very trivial thing to get upset about when your members on the council of defense no? Yea OK, maybe they were annoyed because she was being so vague and wasting their time, but given how they have a duty to protect people, I would also expect them to be genuinely curious as to why she would be waiting for them. Is it because she needs their help? Is something about to go down? If an old woman shows up in their spot and knowing they are members in the council of defense, then they'll know they have a job to do and would make more of an incentive to know more from her. Getting annoyed because there could be a potential threat that the old lady is refusing to give information about is a much more legitimate reason to get annoyed than someone jacking your spot.

Overall, your word choices are getting better, but remember to think about the plot and your characters more. Consider their roles more and ask yourself if realistically they would act like that given the situation.

Andy.

Laure says...

Ah ok, I see where you're coming from. But Glass is meant to be vague..it will evolve later on.

Squall says...

Glass can be vague, but she needs to give away info that would concern them in some way, either in a form of a threat or some revelation of their roles and what is to come. If Glass just shows up willy nilly and does/says nothing of concern to them, then there's no reason for them to want to find out more of who Glass is; they'll just dismiss her as being a random weird lady.

Certainly Love wrote a review...

This was a good read! I was able to understand it and it was most certainly a breath of fresh air to see it flow so well! I didn't see any errors accept for one minor one. I didn't read the chapters before so I was kind of confused with what was going on. Sorry about that. But I do like your style and your use of words. Nice Vocabulary. :) I am happy to see another piece in 3rd person as I prefer it better than 1st. Anyway, that's beside the point! Excellent presentation. The only thing I was wondering, is why you text in the end, ended up as a whole block of text with know space between dialogue and what have you.

-Not sure what you meant here.

Great job! Happy writing!

Laure says...

x.x Oh crap, the format messed up majorly. Thank you though!

I thought maybe there was a format issue. You're welcome!

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot