Only Good Things

by luckystarz6090

Only Good Things

Only good things ever happened to me

I boarded a train and wound up at the sea.

It's not where I really wanted to be

But only good things ever happened to me.

l

So I took a walk down by the water,

And seeing a rowboat, immediately bought 'er.

I decided to take a trip out to sea,

For only good things ever happened to me.

l

The water was calm and bluer than sky

With sweet gentle breezes floating on by

And never saw you a better sailor on the sea

Because only good things ever happened to me.

l

Then one cloud gathered, followed by another,

And all of the light, it threatened to smother.

I looked all around, wonderin' "How can this be?"

l

Waves rose and crashed down all around me,

And darkness descended down to surround me.

In my old rowboat, frightened, I stood,

Thinking only, "Uh-oh, this can't be good."

l

A giant wave rose up from behind,

And, wishing I could put this day on rewind,

I threw my hands up as the wave descended.

So quickly, so cruelly, my life, it ended.

l

Or so I thought 'til my consciousness mended.

l

I awoke later, sore bruised and battered,

my rowboat gone, my clothes all a' tattered.

I pushed myself up, taking a look around me

And found myself on an island in the sea.

l

I smiled, I grinned, I laughed, full of pleasure,

For obviously, this island was full of great treasure!

What other explanation could there be?

l

I fought with a tiger, I wrestled a bear,

And it made me strong to get over there

To find the chest beneath a dead tree,

Proving that only good happened to me.

l

I gathered my treasure, I built me a raft.

Against sea, wind, and storm, I valiantly laughed.

And, of course, my future was bright as could be

Since only good things ever happened to me.

l

So next time you're tossed 'round the sea of life,

And you're thinking all you ever get is strife,

Remember this story 'bout little ol' me,

Aboard my old rowboat, across the sea,

And say it out loud so it will come to be

That only good things ever happen to me.

I don't usually rhyme, but this was a fun one! My grandpa used to say, "Only good things ever happened to me," all the time, so this poem is my dedication to him.

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...

I love this poem! I love the essence of it, the message it conveys, I just............really like it! It's so realistic and I like the old fashioned style of writing you've applied.

There might be a bit of grammar confusion, but overall your vocabulary is nearly perfect. Once again, this poem is very, very good. Thanks for sending us a good message through this! Keep on writing!

Mysticalxx

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:23 am
TrudiRose wrote a review...

Hey there! First up I want to say how much I really enjoyed this poem. Poetry on this site the last few weeks has been, in my opinion, quite depressing but this was completely the opposite (which I think is pretty fitting with the title) I really enjoyed this and thought it was a lovely and refreshing poem.

I liked how you created a voice for the poem - you used more colloquial language and turns of phrase which I thought was really creative.

I also enjoyed the poem from a narrative point of view, it told a story, which is part of the experience of a poem.

Most of all I loved the use of 'Only good things happen to me' as a closing line to each stanza. I liked how towards the start of the poem it was used in an almost proud or even cocky way and how this changed during the fourth verse the meaning changes a little, it becomes more of a question - basically very clever.

The rhyming was good, occasionally I think you could have maybe adjusted it a little to fit with the narrative a little better (this is pretty much my only critique) one example being:

And it made me strong to get over there

I don't know but maybe one more draft may have just improved this a tiny bit...not that it isn't good anyway :)

So all in all a great poem and possibly one of the best I've read on this site! Keep on writing more and the rhyming suits your style! I think your grandfather would be very proud of this and it's a lovely dedication to him! :)

Keep up the good work!

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 am
LordFabulous wrote a review...

Hey I'll just say how much I live this poem! It's FABULOUS! :D

When I looked at the title I thought it was going to be a hard hitting one, and don't get me wrong I like to read those, but this one was more humorous and happy, which is a breath of fresh air (for want of a better phrase). I also loved the rhyme and rhythm; they went so well together and made the poem that much better, and I'm sure we've both seen people use rhyme at the wrong time! (I just made one, I'm a poet and I didn't know it)

Upon looking though the poem again I did find that perhaps to makes the verses flow a little better just find a different way to separate them rather than using the lines between each one (a blank gap would be nicer overall)
But since this is really my only way to fault this, you can understand that I am having a hard time looking for anything bad (maybe it is only good things :) )

Thank you for writing this! It really made my day! :D

Sunshine1113 says...

*sneaks in quietly* just wanted to say that I was having the worse day and this made me smile. :) thank you, you gave me something to hope for :)

Omg! I am so glad that this poem made someone happy! Thank you for reading and commenting *smooches*

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 am
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...

Whoo! This combines three of my favorite elements!
1-It rhymes. The rhyme pattern is excellent, particularly considering how difficult it is to get so many lines rhyming with "me."
2-This isn't about death, loneliness, depression, or anything else so negative. This site needs more poems like this. :-)
3-This has a rhythm, not only that, a strong lyrical rhythm. The only place the rhythm faltered a little was on the last line of the sixth verse, where "it" should be a two syllable word.
By the way, you don't need to put the title in the piece.
I think you may wish to add a litte punctuation, to separate the clauses. Just sprinkle a few commas on.
Hope this helps,
Take That You Fiend!

Thank you! I do see what you mean about the rhythm break, but I can't think of anything to do. Hmmm, I'll have to sleep on it:) I'll see what I can do about the sprinkling of commas - love the way you said that:)

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James