z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Blind - Chapter 9

by WillowPaw1


When we got home, I made sure Sheila was okay. She said she had thrown up when we were gone, but it was only in the toilet so she didn't have to clean anything up. I gave her a hug, then showed her Mousse.

"My seeing dog!" I said happily, and sat down on the floor.

"Mousse!" I called, and my chocolate dog came to me. I rubbed his belly, which was soft and fluffy and the second to best thing I've ever felt (the first best was pizza dough). Sheila petted him once or twice, but didn't touch him much. Maybe she still felt sick and lazy.

I played with Mousse for a while.

"Braille, Ember. We need to go over it." Mother said for the second time, since all I had been doing was playing with my new dog.

"But Motheeeer!" I cried. "Mousse! He needs the attention!" I put my face to his and he kissed it several times, licking my nose then my lips.

Mother sighed. Braille was a miracle in my life, but so was Mousse. I could be with a miracle or a miracle. Any miracle sounded good, but Mousse sounded best.

After we ate our dinner of pasta salad and mushrooms, Mother said, "Ember, we need to review Braille. Even though you'll be learning it in school, you need to know what it is."

"But I do know what it is." I pointed out.

"Ember! What is your problem!" Mother said, exasperated. I was giving her a hard time. I was never like this. What had gotten in to me?

"I'm sorry, Mother. I don't know. Everything is overwhelming." I said, and tears came to my face. I covered my ears with my hands, and I pulled my knees to my chest.

Mother came to me. She placed her hands on my back and she kissed my cheek. "Want to talk about this tomorrow?"

I nodded, and got up from my chair at the table. I wondered if Sheila or Jason was staring at me. I hope not. It wouldn't really matter, though.

"Good night." I mumble, as I do what I do everyday, placing my hand on the wall and walk to my room.

"Mousse!" I call, but my voice trembles and my lips quiver. Don't cry. Don't cry. I think to myself. I'm brave, even if I'm blind. This is all so, so stupid. School. Seeing dog. Braille. Being blind.

As I got in my bed, with Mousse laying at my feet, I cried silently as I whispered, "Don't make this hard for me, God. Please."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:04 am
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I just remembered what I forgot to say in my review of like, chapter 6. So I'll put it in this review since it relates to this chapter as well as the others.

First of all, I like this chapter. We have a new character here that we need to get to know better. It doesn't matter that that character is a dog. Mousse is going to be a huge part of Ember's life, so it's important that we get to know him more. Seeing the relationship between Ember and Mousse and Sheila and Mousse is very interesting. Maybe Sheila was still feeling bad and that's why she didn't pet Mousse more than a few times. But then again, maybe she's just not that excited about Mousse as Ember is. To Ember, Mousse is a miracle. And comparing him to Braille, her other miracle, is genius. I love that comparison. It really shows how much Mousse means to Ember that she would pick Mousse over Braille.

I like that there is more about Ember's family in this chapter. Sure we still haven't seen her father or her brother in a while, but it's a start. It's not just "Ember taking on the world" in this chapter. It's Ember taking on the world with the help of her family. That's what I like about this.

Okay, so what I forgot to mention in other reviews is that Ember's mother seems way too calm and understanding about the whole Ember being blind thing. Even though Ember has been blind by birth, I feel like her mother would still get frustrated about certain things sh does. And Ember would probably get frustrated too. We see a bit of frustration from the mother in this chapter which is good. I want to see more of that. Right now their lives just seem to be perfect. Well, not perfect, but you know what I mean. I want to see more of the struggles of being blind and living with a blind person. Life isn't wonderful and perfect all the time. You know that. Try and get that to show through in your story.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:21 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



Oh yes yes yes. YES.

Literally the best chapter so far.

I love it. I love the hope Mousse has given her, the love she has for him, and the love he has for her. The immediate bond between dog and owner has begun, and it's already strong. We can tell this straight away.

I like that you finally told us what was wrong with Sheila, if anything. xD Finally, I can die in peace.

I like that Ember is so enthralled by her dog that she has forgotten about Braille. So her mother has to nag, but still, Ember won't get up and learn it until her mom finally snaps and yells at her. I like that, because we see how stressful this has been for her and how scared she is to have her blind daughter go off into the real world with nothing but a dog to help her get around.

And then Ember breaks, and it's about time. With all of this stress, I was wondering when the self-doubt and fear would set in. You also staged her breakdown so nicely, so it wasn't just random and thrown in there. It was provoked by her mother yelling and all of the sudden, the dam breaks and everything comes rushing out. I like that we are reminded that, hello! she's blind, not helpless. She can do this, but still, she's scared. We finally get to see more of Ember and her personality.

Overall, this is getting really good and I am on the edge of my seat, here! So hurry up and post the next chapter and the next until she finally begins school! I can't wait to see how people treat her and if she makes friends or not. (Hopefully yes she will.) Getting good so far; can't wait to see more~




WillowPaw1 says...


Thank you! I thought this was one of my bad chapters, but apparently not!



User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:33 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hey there!!! Cricket here for a review!!!

Well I haven't read any of you're previous chapter's so I won't be talking or nitpicking on plot or anything. I'll just stick with grammar and the pace and all that. Sounds good? Kay. LET IT BEGIN!!!

Maybe she still felt sick and lazy.


I felt that this sounded to vague. I want to hear something a little more in-depth towards the character.

I nodded, and got up from my chair at the table. I wondered if Sheila or Jason was staring at me. I hope not. It wouldn't really matter, though.


Now one thing I did notice was that you tend to write in short sentences. Sometimes that is good and adds depth to the story, but in this case I think you could have formatted them differently, and made them longer and ya know,the like.

, I cried silently as I whispered


This is a stupid nitpick. I think it would sound better if you put instead of "whispered", "whisper". lol

OK, that's it!!! The NITPICKING IS OVER!!! Well I hoped I helped you!!! From what I've seen, you have a cool style(course I haven't seen much, which makes you're style even cooler), and I really hope to see more of it!!!

Keep writing!!




WillowPaw1 says...


Thank you!!



User avatar
130 Reviews


Points: 2667
Reviews: 130

Donate
Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:54 pm
Em101cats wrote a review...



Hi, Em101cats is here to review again! :D




This is a very emotional chapter. I just have to get that out there. But I loved it, I really did! I thought that things wouldn't get like this, but you surprised me. You really did! Excellent job making my thoughts change. You really got me that time, as you always do! This story is filled with good twists and turns!

My favorite sentence is this:

As I got in my bed, with Mousse laying at my feet, I cried silently as I whispered, "Don't make this hard for me, God. Please."


(Yes, I have mastered the quotes, finally!) This line is especially heartwarming AND saddening to me at the same time, more than the others. Why? Well, the sadness of her crying and her begging to the Lord to make her life easier, that's what set the sad feeling in there. But I'm kind of happy. Why? Being a Christian, I love to see when people are brave enough to fit God into their writing. Some people shy away from that because they don't want to seem like they're being rude to those who do not believe in God. But you did it, and you did it well!

One thing I have a small problem with is this: You got through the sad part kinda quick. She cries. She runs to her bedroom. She prays. The end of the sad part! You don't have to change this, because maybe I was just reading too fast. But to me, it seems like you breezed through it really quickly.

I love the part about the pizza dough. Hilarious! Who doesn't like pizza?


I didn't see any spelling/grammar errors. I might have missed some, but if I did, it doesn't really matter. You hardly make spelling errors and grammar mistakes anyways! Keep up the excellent work!
~Em101cats~




WillowPaw1 says...


Thanks! I think I might've wrote it kind of rushed. I was really excited to get this chapter out. :P :L



Em101cats says...


That's okay. I know how you feel. Forbidden Shadows Chap. 8 is shorter than some of the others, because I was really excited for that chapter. I don't know why. Maybe because I was busy making poems instead of more chapters, so that when I finally felt like doing it, I wanted to do it fast so that people didn't think it was discontinued. :P



WillowPaw1 says...


Yeah.




u can't have villains exist just 2 b villains
— ShadowVyper