z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Chains of Duty Chapter 1: Enemies We Were, What Are We Now?

by ConfusedGlasses


Nidara stood at the edge of the railing, her yellow dress swaying in the light breeze. Anyone watching from afar would think she was at peace, contemplating life perhaps. Up close, however, anyone could see the distress and anger etched into her more than perfect facial features.

She heard footsteps behind her. She did not want to turn and greet the person. She knew who it was.

"It has been long, Nidara," the person said upon reaching the railing.

"Yes, Keed, it has been long..." her voice trailed off as memories rushed through her mind. Why did he not annihilate her when he had the chance? She had been his captive during the war. Was he just trying to show her that he was noble?

If that was the case, he had failed. Most definitely, he had failed.

His hand extended toward her.

"I brought you a drink," he said holding out the goblet of wine.

"Why did you call me here?" she asked in an intimidating manner, ignoring the offer.

His calm features contorted into a frown. "So, it is," he said, "that you hate me."

There was a slight hint of sadness in his voice. But Nidara chose to ignore it. It was not something she had time for. She had an empire to run.

"Why did you call me here?" she repeated.

"I was hoping things would be different between us," he replied, his calm demeanor back in place. "Would you humor me by taking the drink?"

She took the goblet from his yet again outstretched hand. "We are enemies, Keed. Nothing can change that. We cannot escape that fact." she said harshly.

The war of Yawen, did justice to no one. Keed had been the commander of Xelop's army. They had been the oppressors. The tyrants.

Nidara, the princess of Yawenin was captured and tortured by Xelop. But Keed had somehow kept her alive. She should have been grateful. However, she was far from that. She was angry. Because she knew the kind of person Keed was. Even if he helped during her rescue, he would never do something against his own benefit in his right mind.

She knew him.

"You are right, Princess. I made mistakes. And I must pay for them," he said pulling her out of her thoughts. She looked at him through the corner of her eye. His head hung, as if in extreme guilt. "But we will only stay stuck like this if you so choose."

Nidara turned toward him abruptly. What was he saying? He was the one who betrayed them when he was faced with death. He was the one who got her captured in the first place.

"What are you trying to say, Keed?" she hissed. "I was not the one to betray my country!"

His head hung once again. "What you say is true..." he muttered, almost inaudibly. This time though, she could not ignore the completely defeated and guilty background in his voice. "However, I am more than willing to make amends... if only you would let me, Nidara."

There was a hopeful edge in his voice... hopeful yet uncertain, Nidara finally allowed herself to notice. And from the look in his eyes he was solemn.

Do I really know him? She let confusion wash over her as she took in his sight. The attire he was wearing for the night made him look charming, if she allowed herself to call him that. Suddenly, she was taken back to the days when there was nothing to fear.

It had been raining. The princesses had yet insisted on going out in the mud and puddle filled garden. As they trudged on, his foot accidentally landed on a puddle of mud.

Mud splattered on to Nidara’s dress.

"Keed!” Nidara exclaimed, alarmed.

He looked crestfallen. "I am indeed at fault," he said guiltily, "please allow me to make amends, princess...”

She smiled. “Of course, Keed. You will make amends.”

She turned away from him, heat rushing to her face as he caught her staring at him.

"How can you possibly change things? I am not the only one wary of your safe presence inside the walls of Yawen." Her voice came lower, calmer. It was obvious that she had weighed her options in a matter of seconds inside her head. The sign of a true queen, he thought.

"That, I am not sure of, as of yet," he said sighing. "But I am hoping you will help me. Will you not, Nidara, for old times' sake, if not for now?" Once again, the uncertainty was prominent in his tone. But there was something else as well.

...Longing?...

She remained silent for some time. Then she nodded her head.

He really wants to make amends? How much do I know him exactly? Or do I not know him at all? Or am I pretending to not know him?

"Why did you do all of that if you were going to regret it in the end?" she asked after a while, her goblet now empty.

"Something drove me. I was not myself. It was almost as if I could hear Xelop's commands inside my head. And somehow, I could not resist them."

"How did you break free of that?" This was not the first time she had heard about Xelop's dark powers. But she was curious. As far as she knew, once a person went under the influence nothing could bring them out. There were thousands of such people in the rehabilitation camps as they spoke.

"Once I saw you tied to that post, night and day, something happened to me," he said hesitantly. "This might sound ridiculous but..." he paused as if looking for the right words, "I think it had something to do with the sight of you in pain."

She glanced at him as he spoke. To her surprise, he looked like he was feeling extremely uncomfortable.

She trained her eyes once more on the hill in front of her, separated from her by the railings of the huge balcony, and some cottages scattered about, safe inside the inner walls of Yawen. She remembered how she would trust no one to escort her outside the castle if Keed was not coming along. She remembered her desperation when she found out he had betrayed them. She remembered the relief at the sight of him, but at the same time the anger and confusion when she saw who he was standing next to. Her worst enemy, Xelop.

"Perhaps, Keed," she said slowly, "you could do more than just amend your mistakes." Her yellow dress once again flowed in the breeze. She let the cool air calm her nerves.

We were friends. We have been enemies. What are we now?...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:19 am
View Likes
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Hiya Confused!

First things first, massive apologies; I adopted this novel ten thousand decades ago and am just now getting to reviewing it! D: I'm truly an awful adoptive novel parent. However! I am here now, and hope to make quick work of catching up with my reviews for you. <3

Before anything else, I want to just take a moment to say how excellent your prose is. The writing is clear and tight, and there were few points in the writing that I didn't understand how something was described or had to strain to picture something. Having a good handle of the written word is the first step in being an awesome storyteller!

Now onto that other stuff~

The First Chapter
This might be my biggest critique of this piece thus far. So you know how all the writing advice in the world tells you to start as close to the beginning of the actual plot of a story as possible (rather than waste time in backstory/watching the characters wander around until they finally start to do something)? Well, I think you need to start a little farther back from the start of the story.

As a reader, I come into this chapter - or, more like, this scene - and spent the entirety of it racing to catch up with what's happening. We get some explanation here and there about a war, about Nidara being prisoner, and Keed somehow being on Nidara's side then betraying her then being on her side again? But it's just not enough to ground the reader in the story. Instead we're left here trying to figure out what exactly is going on, what's already happened, etc. I'm not even sure I can say what's happening at this moment in the story aside from Nidara and Keed having a pretty cryptic conversation.

My best advice would be to pull back a little further in the timeline of the story. Maybe we start with Nidara in her chambers, or somewhere on her own, and can be introduced to the things she's gone through via her own introspection. Then when Keed appears there is more room for the narration to fill in the reader on their relationship, that they were once friends and he betrayed her. Regardless of where the story starts, though, we definitely need more backstory worked in to better explain what has happened to result in the situation at hand.

Characters
I totally adore all your naming in this story so far, they're all so lovely! I'm terrible at naming characters and places, especially in a fantasy type setting. So I really enjoy reading things by people who are good at names. :)

All my complaints about characters, I think, have something to do with my previous point. I just don't feel like I get a good enough sense of who these people are at the start of the story. Now, we don't need to know everything about them, but I'm not sure I could give a solid answer to who these people are other than Princess and Servant/Betrayer. After the first chapter, readers should be able to at least give two or three simple adjectives to describe a character or their personality. Attaching a reader to characters is one of the best ways to hook them in the first chapter!

Setting
My complaints with this one definitely go with my initial concerns about this chapter. I'm not sure I can say at all what this world looks like, let alone what the setting of this scene is. Aside from "standing at a railing outside" I can't say what else anything looks like. I wouldn't recommend giving super extensive or specific description of how the world looks (there is a thing as too much!) but especially if this is a fantasy story, we need something to let us picture what this place looks like. Otherwise we just have people floating in space and what fun is that? ;)

All in all, I think you have an excellent foundation to work with here. The only real issue is that the story has so far is that this chapter feels like it should be happening much later in the story (as if we've already been introduced to the plot, setting, characters, etc) rather than right at the beginning. Lead us into the world, plot, and characters better and you'll have a really solid beginning!

Keep writing, and I hope to get to the next chapters soon! Thanks for sharing!

-Lauren-






Thank you for the review Lauren! And I might tell you that you just gave me ONE MASSIVE PLOT LINE! Dude, are you cool or what?!
See, I'm really glad I was able to make as much sense that I did. Chapter one wasn't really supposed to drag out into a novel. But it did, and right now I'm stuck. When I can get myself to think again I'll make sure to seriously consider your foreshadowing. Lets see what it turns into, eh?



User avatar
223 Reviews


Points: 282
Reviews: 223

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:05 am
Kelpies wrote a review...



Hola ConfusedGlasses!

I absolutely love it! I like that you added some mystery, I am eager to read the next chapters. I could find no flaws in this one. I can't figure out what they are now, my best guess is people with mutual need. I'm not exactly sure though. As I said, I am more than eager to read the next chapters, so I shall not dally too long on this one.

~Kelpies






Aww thanks!



User avatar
87 Reviews


Points: 5984
Reviews: 87

Donate
Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:47 am
Alchemist wrote a review...



Hi there! You've got plenty of reviews down there, and I don't think I've found anything to complain about, so if you are not interested in the praise you can absolutely skip this.

So, it was really easy to read, which is great. Some phrases you use are unusuall and felt nice. The names you use are awesome, I think having a good name really helps up with a fantasy story.

It is a nice opening overall. You gave us some insight, into the happenings of the world. One personal relationship too, great. And Nidara really seems like an atractive woman.

Great chapter, will read more! :)




User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Sat May 31, 2014 5:28 pm
Messenger wrote a review...



Hiya, it is your local Messenger for a brief review! just here for quick nitpicks!

His calm features contorted into a frown. "So, it is," he said, "that you hate me."

If she is looking away, how could she see his facial expressions? this chapter seems to start out in her perspective, and I didn't think she was looking at him?

It was obvious that she had weighed her options in a matter of seconds inside her eighteen year-old head. The sign of a true queen, he thought.

This just felt like a way for you to put in her age, but it comes out really cheesy and Un-professinoal. I'd suggest switching it to something else.
Also, you suddenly switch pov's here really fast, and it feels too sudden for comfort. Try making the transition smoother.


Overall, not a bad chapter. An interesting beginning .It definitely grabs my attention .Also, I thought your description perfect. Not too much, but not too little. And I mean that in not just description of looks and the other senses, but of the storyline as well.

I must be off now! Hope this helps!

~Messenger




User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Mon May 26, 2014 2:43 am
View Likes
birk wrote a review...



Hey Confused!

So, I was planning on giving some thoughts on this last night, but I suddenly got pulled away. Tonight, I struggled finding this again as I forgot its name, but nonetheless I found it. And what do you know? I found it pretty good and interesting.

I'm really enjoying the plot you have going so far and I'm even more intrigued by the background story you write along with it.

The relationship between these two character is definately the best thing about the piece. You hint at enough backstory and you write their back and forth through dialogue very well. They can both be developed into very good, interesting and engaging characters. The introduction to their characters and their backstory could use some changes though, as certain (especially one thing) aspects of it doesn't flow too well. But I'll get back to this.

One thing I would almost demand of you, is more descriptions. This is quite a small scene, but I pretty much have to visualize everything myself. I can't picture it.

Now, in addition to this, I'd obviously need some descriptions of the characters themselves. I have no idea what they look like at the moment. Nidara might be wearing a yellow dress, but she could be well into her 50s for all I know. ;)

Another thing I noticed fairly early, is that you use expositions a bit too much. There are several places where your writing comes off as info dumps rather than storytelling that flows naturally.

Obviously, you need the information in there at some point, but try connecting it further with the dialogue and the way the plot progresses.

Lastly, I thought the names you came up with for these characters are pretty neat.

Alright, I'll write as I go along:

But, up close, anyone

The first comma is definately unnecessary. Aside from this, I'll agree with Silver; try not to start your senteces with 'but'.

She heard footsteps behind her. She did not want to turn and greet the person. She knew who it was.
She, she, she. Way too many of these, and you repeat them three times in a row here. All of these lines could also just be edited into a single one. While keeping its intended structure.

Why did he not annihilate her when he had the chance?

Okay, so this is the main thing I wanted to comment on in relation to their backstory. It seems as if they both knew each other fairly well before he became the commander of Xelop's army as well as coming under his influence. I'm not buying that she would immidiately question his intentions toward her. Did he change that much? In their dialogue, they appear fairly evenly towards one another.

She had an empire to run.

So I'm looking forward to getting more information in the coming chapters. I'm unsure about who is actually ruling here. I'd say Xelop does, seeing as he imprisoned her. Then again, here she says she has an empire to run.

I guess a lot of this will be coming up sooner or later. I'm interested though. Good.

Edit
"Would you humor me by taking the drink?"


We cannot escape that fact,"

Waiting for her to continue this line, I realized it ended here. So replace that comma with a period.

She knew him.

This is redundant. You already said this. And just after this, she questions whether she really knows him or not.

Edit
She looked at him through the corner of her eye.


Edit
"What you say is true..." he muttered, almost inaudibly.

Got a few issues with your tenses here and there.

Edit
"However, I am more than willing to make amends


Suddenly, she was taken back to the days when there was nothing to fear.

So, coming up next is a flashback of some sorts. Right out of nowhere.

I suppose you used it to mirror his response and attitude towards her before all this happens, and it is similar to how he acts now? I like it, it's a nice way of her to frame it. But it doesn't work too well here. It came straight out of nowhere and lasts only a small paragraph before we're back in action.

Edit
She turned away from him,


Edit
Her voice became lower,

Alternatively: Her voice lowered.

There were thousands of such people in the rehabilitation camps as they spoke.
This is really interesting. This Xelop guy sounds very intriguing. Can't wait to read about him.

"I think it has something to do with the sight of you in pain."

This entire paragraph reads a bit off, but this last dialogue here is just silly.

by the railings of the huge balcony. and some cottages

There's a period in the middle of this.

Alright, that's pretty much all I could comment on in this chapter. I really like it so far. Both your characters seem pretty interesting and this Xelop guy sounds almost better.

You write very well, use good formatted paragraphs and have a nice, varied vocabulary. In addition, I didn't find too many grammatical errors. Good!

I'll check out your next chapter soon.

Keep it up!


Cheers
Birkhoff






Oh My God! Thank you so much for that awesome review! So I took your advice and fixed some stuff in here. Thanks a lot! And in case you haven't noticed I already put up chapter 2. Read it when you get time. And don't forget to drop a review! :)



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 184

Donate
Mon May 05, 2014 1:51 am
View Likes
RoyalHighness wrote a review...



RoyalHighness has arrived to review!
Okay, I'll be honest, whenever I'm asked to review short stories, I check first to see how long it is. After seeing yours, I was like, "No. Tomorrow, maybe." Then I read the opening, and I was hooked. I had to know what was happening! At first it was a little slow and a little predictable, but you picked it up really soon so no worries there.
No huge grammatical errors, so you're fine there.
I LOVE THE BACKSTORY BITS. I LOVE THEM. I WANT TO TAKE THEM HOME AND CODDLE THEM.
I love the peeks into both of their minds; it shows us how alike they are.
I like how Nidara didn't immediately forgive her former best friend, like a lot of novels portray these things. You drug it out, you made it complicated, you strung your readers along agonizingly slowly, and it was fantastic.
I like the cliffhanger. I love cliffhangers. And I hate them. It's a complicated relationship we have.
I love the little descriptions, without going too in depth. Any more detail, and you'd miss the story unfolding. Great job on keeping it short and sweet.
I love this story, even though I'm usually not a fan of things with strange names. Seriously, fantastic job. I give you nine stars out of ten. You should really continue this! I HAVE GOT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.






I'm glad you liked it. And that was really very encouraging. Thanks a bunch honey! You made my day! :)



User avatar


Points: 1008
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:54 pm
View Likes
ayancey23 wrote a review...



Hey! So this is a review I guess...since that is what I am doing.
I love this scene! You have great dialogue and minor grammatical errors. I'll be honest and say that I'm not a fan of dramatic fantasy stuff, but this got me hooked. One of the few things I think you could improve on would be describing the characters, at least physical features, just a little. I don't mean a full out explanation from head to toe about them, just maybe something like stature or hair color. I can totally see the personalities of the characters, which most people find hard to do, but (and this is my preference) maybe giving the reader a little bit more of a picture of the characters, especially Keed.
Just remember that this is just my opinion and you can totally ignore it.
If you do turn this into a novel, I would totally read it. There are very few dramatic books out there that I'm willing to read so that is a total compliment. Keep up your great writing!






I was actually too overwelmed by what was happening between them that i totally ignored their appearances. but thanks for the suggestion. Love Ya!



User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:16 am
View Likes
ThereseCricket wrote a review...



Hey there! Cricket here for a review!!

Ohhh, you should totally make this into a novel!!This is an AWESOME idea for a novel so PLEASE continue for it!!!

NITPICKS!

Why did he not annihilate her when he had the chance?


Now the word "annihilate" really didn't click quite right with me. I would suggest just placing "kill" in there instead. It seems a lot more personal and seems to flow way better to my mind.

His hand extended toward her.

"I brought you a drink," he said holding out the goblet of wine.


Now you told us in the first line that his hand was extended, and then in the second line you tell us that he is holding out a goblet of wine. How about you just put it all in one sentence?

Suddenly, she was taken back to the days when there was nothing to fear.

"Keed, you're being obnoxious!"

He looked crestfallen. "I am indeed at fault," he said guiltily, "please allow me to make amends, princess..."


Just would like to say that I love the way you put in back story. It is SUPER!

She remembered the relief and anger flooding her being when she caught a glimpse of him standing beside her worst enemy, Xelop.


I'm wondering why she has the feeling of relief when her friend is standing beside her worst enemy? Shouldn't she just be angry? Or maybe I missed something..I just thought it sounded rather strange when I read that she was feeling relief.

It was obvious that she had weighed her options in a matter of seconds. The sign of a true queen, he thought.


Absolutely stunning the way you worded this! Beautiful lines!!Just wanted to say that..

By the way....paragraphing is amazing! I didn't see one that needed fixing! Well done!

Anyway..I'm done!! I really hope I helped. This was truly amazing!






thanks for the awesome review! You know, i didnt even read it after i was done writing it.That probably explains the mistakes pretty much. But thanks anyway and this is really motivating :)





No problem!



User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 683
Reviews: 86

Donate
Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:14 pm
ConfusedGlasses says...



I just might continue this...




User avatar


Points: 451
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am
View Likes
mprome12 wrote a review...



AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING!
So this is what you made of it? Seriously man, this is a great improvement after the first draft I read. You did a great job!
I like how the descriptions were accurate. And the writing also has a certain flow to it; the content---especially the dialogue, conversations and individual thoughts of the characters seemed very natural.

I'm clueless about what suggestions I can give you....just keep it up!






Well thanks. u like my name by the way? people find it interesting, apparently. so were u 12 when u 1st came here?



mprome12 says...


yeah cool name, and no, i wasn't 12



User avatar
301 Reviews


Points: 20262
Reviews: 301

Donate
Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 am
View Likes
Snowery wrote a review...



Hey Confused!! :) Silver here to review your piece for you!

Let's get straight to it shall we?

Main Points

But, up close, anyone could see the distress and anger etched into her more than perfect facial features.


Uh-uh, no starting sentences with "but" remember? Unless of course in first person or dialogue. I suggest replacing it with "however". This is a running problem throughout your piece.

like this if you so chose.


This sounds a little clunky. Maybe try:

"like this if you so choose."?

or "like this if you choose so."?

i am more than


Typo: the "i" should be an "I"

I did enjoy this story overall. You managed to squeeze in a lot of back story into a short so I commend you for that. You described their mood and emotions well and you had great spelling and structure throughout. I feel though that you ending would have been a great cliffhanger in a novel but in a short I'm not so sure it works as well. It might be just me though, it is quite late at the moment :) Overall though I thought that you did a great job so well done! Keep it up and happy writing!! :) :)

Silverlock






Thanks for the first review, Silverlock! So, thanks a lot this means a lot to me. I was actually focusing on the bock story a bit too much, i think. I'm glad you like it though. Thanks a bunch! You just made my day! :)



Silverlock says...


Yay!! I'm so glad :) The back story was good! It was the bones of the actual story! :)





Really? You know i didn't even reread it after finishing it. :p
Oh well, Thanks again.


Random avatar
yaseradnan says...


I hope you be Good Than Good



Evander says...


What do you mean @yaseradnan ?




I drink tea and forget the world's noises.
— Chinese saying