The Book Man, Chapter 58 (Revised)

by BluesClues

58 ROWAN THE RINGMASTER

It was Rowan and one of her performers, a rugged man Christian did not recognize, walking by with three freshly-killed rabbits. Despite the attack and the Fair-folks’ aura of grim resignation, the ringmaster’s dark face and tawny eyes were as jolly as ever as she made her way over to their failed fire. Her violet coat was draped over one arm, her top hat under the other. The ruffled white shirt she wore was torn in more than one spot but otherwise pristine, and she carried herself as if about to begin a show.

“Trouble with the flint and tinder again, eh?” she said to Liza. “Not to worry. We’ll soon have you sorted.”

She took up the flint and steel and struck them against each other until sparks showered the kindling and a cheerful blaze ignited.

“Thank you,” Liza said. “I just can’t get the hang of it.”

“You will, soon enough,” Rowan said. “Every sword-swallower started off swallowing food, as the saying goes! And in the mean-time, my dear, I’m more than happy to help.”

Then she caught sight of Christian.

“My dear fellow!” she cried, clasping his hands. “Whatever are you doing here? I would have thought you’d remain in the park with your young lady, if you turned up at all after that awful night—”

“It’s a long story,” he said, blushing. “And she isn’t my lady. My girlfriend. I mean—”

The ringmaster sprawled on the ground beside him with her long legs stretched toward the fire. She patted the grass and said to her companion, “Pull up a chair. We’ve time to sit a while.”

The rugged man settled on the grass less comfortably than Rowan, folding his legs carefully beneath him and keeping the conies off the ground.

“One again today?” he said to Liza, who nodded and passed him two small fish in exchange for one of the rabbits. Christian watched in amazement. He felt he should have guessed that Liza would make friends amongst the Fair-folks while he was missing; after all, she had spent a week with them now. But it was bizarre to see her interacting with them in this way, almost as strange as if he had found out his employer or his barber or his trash-collector knew about the Fair.

“How do you know each other?” he asked.

“Hasn’t she told you, dear boy?” the ringmaster cried. “We’re the ones who found her! What a nasty night that was, wasn’t it, Graham?” (This to the rugged man, who gave the shadow of a nod.) “Dark and gloomy, raining like anything—but the traps needed to be set, you know. My troupe has to eat, rain or shine, Goblin or no Goblin! Anyway, there we were, walking through the trees in the dark and the gloaming, when suddenly I all but tripped over a person!”

“So you came out at the portal after all?” Christian said to Liza, but it was again the ringmaster who answered.

“Oh, no, not quite. She was clear on the other side of our camp. Still, from what she’s told me, I gather she was lucky to come out that close. Incidentally, my boy, where did you end up?”

“Past the mountains,” Christian said. “In a bog. It was raining there, too.”

Rowan whistled, long and low. “Past the mountains! Well, that must have been the wraiths, don’t you think, Graham?”

The rugged man nodded again.

“Wraiths?” said Liza.

“Oh, yes, my dear. Wraiths. They’re not corporeal creatures, you know—more misty sorts of things, and they love to lurk about in places that solid beings don’t have much truck with. Portals into other worlds, fairy rings, the Land of the Dead—things like that. Places most of us wouldn’t even think of as places. But for all their mistiness, they’re powerful as anything, when they’ve got a mind to be, and we felt them all over the portal when we fled from the park—oh, my, yes.”

Rowan shuddered at the thought. “Dreadful things. I think Goblin put them there to keep us from going back, but there were so many of us coming through that they couldn’t manage to get us off course—not many of us, anyway—I came out missing a lion and a dancing bear, myself, and who knows where they ended up. But however did you get here so soon, Mr. Abernathy? I understand it’s quite the journey.”

“I had some help,” Christian said, thinking of Narodnaya. He could feel her lurking on the edges of his thoughts, not prodding or intruding but gleaning information where she could and making sure he was alright. She was a friendly presence in the back of his mind.

“Rowan’s been a great help,” Liza said, putting a hand on the ringmaster’s to comfort her. “She’s brought me a rabbit every day since I got here, and she helped me find Conrad.”

Rowan waved her gratitude away. The fear that had crept into her face at the thought of the wraiths cleared as her mind turned to other things.

“No trouble at all, my dear. We must help each other where we can.” She leaned close to Christian and said, “And don’t let her trick you into thinking she’s only so well off for my help, Mr. Abernathy. A natural-born fisher, wouldn’t you know! I haven’t got a jot of patience for it, but with a bit of twine and rabbit meat she brings in practically enough fish for the whole camp.”

Liza’s cheeks purpled as she tried not to look too pleased at the ringmaster’s praise.

“At any rate,” Rowan continued, “I’m pleased as punch to see you here, and looking well, too. The two of you simply must have dinner with my troupe.”

“It would be a pleasure,” Liza said, but Christian said, “Thank you, but I must decline. I have to find Morrow.”

Instead of looking offended, however, the ringmaster clapped her hands and said, “An excellent idea, Mr. Abernathy. We shall of course ask him to dine with us as well. The poor fellow will be glad of some company. He gets so little at his cabin, you know.”

“You mean—you know where he lives?”

“Why, of course! We are intimate acquaintances, I assure you, even if these other folk will hardly give him the time of day.”

“You need me to come with you?” the rugged man asked Rowan.

“No need, Graham, no need. Tell the others to set three extra places for dinner. We’ll be back shortly.”

He nodded and moved off into the crowd, swinging the rabbits by the snares looped around their hind legs. Rowan leapt to her feet and asked Liza, “Won’t you come along, my dear?”

The balloon-artist’s wife shook her head. “I need to tend to my husband. He’s—he’s having a bad day today. His eyes—”

Christian’s heart palpitated at her words, but he sucked in a breath through his nose and tried not to listen as she told the ringmaster about Conrad’s plight.

“Very well,” Rowan said at last. “But mind you’re not late for dinner! Graham works wonders with a rabbit. Come along, then, Mr. Abernathy,” and she led him into the trees as Liza disappeared into the darkness of the wagon.

Valkyria wrote a review...

Hello BluesClues,

I'm back with a short review! This will be my last review for the Checklist Challenge, but I will still continue to read and review :)

First, I'm so happy that most of the people from the park are okay. It must be so devastating for them. And poor Imelda and Conrad. At least Liza's safe.

It was Rowan and one of her performers, a rugged man Christian did not recognize, walking by with three freshly-killed rabbits.

I'll be honest, I find Rowan and the other ringmaster (I forget if they're sisters) really annoying. I think it's very nice that she's helping Liza, but I can't help but wonder if she's planning to bring Liza to her show.

Maybe it's my bias against Rowan, but I don't trust her. Maybe she's working for Goblin, and she's going to trap Christain.

Overall, I think Liza has come so far! And the story is amazing.

On to the next chapter!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Deanie says...

Hey Blue,

You've won me over. The ringmasters should be women, by the sound of it. I could've imagined the male with the old story, but seeing Liza in there with them and all, and also seeing their conversation here I can see Rowan really should be a woman, come to think of it. As Finn, I am still not sure. But after seeing a bit more from her I doubt I will disagree...

Deanie x

BluesClues says...

RIGHT? And hooray! *throws confetti celebrating your change of heart*

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:36 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

I absolutely love your colorful characters, Blue. Especially Rowan. I am assuming she is one of those silly circus performers/owners that were trying to get Christian to come to their shows--each of which he refused, but tried to act interested in. They were humorous then, they are humorous now. But we saw a different side of Rowan, I think. In the other chapters, we saw more of her silly side. Her clowny side. The side of her that did all the jokes and acted funny for the circus show. In this one we see her survivalist. Her inner strength that seems to lighten them all up, and add backbone to both the scene and the characters in it.

I like her. a lot. ^.^

And she isn’t my lady. My girlfriend. I mean—”

Someone is acting a little awkward and embarrassed. hehehe

and keeping the conies off the ground.

You called them rabbits before, and it kind of confused me and I didn't get what they were until I really started thinking about it. *"There's only one way to eat a brace of conies"* hehehe

solid beings don’t have much truck with.

Wait... what truck? Is that merely a misspelled word?

He is going to go find Morrrow. Finally! I am going to go be able to meet this Dude I have been hearing about for aaaaggggesss. You have set the scene so that I expect some superman, with everyone fantasizing over him and what he can do, but I wonder what he will actually be like. I hope he is filled with flaws and such, and because I always read the reviews below me, (bad boy, I know. filled with spoilers--especially this one) I know that he is going to be a neat character, but one that isn't faultless. I like that. I wonder what my impression of him will be.

You are very good with creating first-impressions of characters. Juss saying.

Liza’s cheeks purpled as she tried not to look too pleased at the ringmaster’s praise

I can't gush enough to tell you how much I enjoyed this character's transformation. She is truly building into a wonderful character, and one that every reader will love. :D She has come a long ways form the narrow-minded businesswoman.

Onto the next chapter! Sorry for short review.
~Darth Timmyjake

BluesClues says...

Thank you! In this case, "truck" is used in the phrase "have truck with," where "truck" is used to mean "business or dealings". Here:

truck with

Apparently it's more common in British English, but for some reason I happen to have that phrase in my head anyway, so...yay me for making a character who spends a lot of time in a park in England say that, I guess.

timmyjake says...

Ohhhh... more authentic, then! :d

Messenger wrote a review...

Hi . . . . *glares at Blue* I'm back. And my emotions are flip-flopping, so I'm just going to go ahead and read this to get my hopes crushed or raised. Here goes.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I am almost to tears Blue!!! This whole story was so gorgeous! I love your correlation between Christian'sstory and Goblin's life being like two books. It all fits together. I agree with Iggy. It is so sad to see what Morrow turned out to be, all sad and heart-broken.

The ending was bittersweet. I'm glad that Christian didn't go hermit on the world, but it's so sad to see him with his wife, walking through these places where his thought-would-be wife had been. And stopping right there in front of her statue? Oh it's tear-jerking.

This story is . . . . I just can't describe my feelings. It's a masterpiece in my opinion. Your style, your story, the underlying messages, the themes, the characters, everything is truly beautiful! This is one of the best stories I've ever read. When you publish it I'm gonna race Iggy for the first copy.

I love you Blue. Thank you for writing this story about inner beauty, friendship, true love, courage, and getting past people's looks.

~Messenger

BluesClues says...

I love you too. Even though possibly I may have actually teared up a little bit because of this review. Good tears, though. And only a little bit. (Don't laugh.) You guys are the best. I mean that.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Heya Blue...

So now I am at the end. The End. As in no more D:

I really understand how Iggy feels. I don't know why but I felt so sorry for Morrow, locked in his mourning or maybe simply respect even now. He didn't seem like he was moving on... but then there was Christian who had said goodbye to his books but was still sharing and being called the Book Man. There was also Sarah who had sort-of replaced Conrad when he was around (I wonder if anyone of the adults remembers the balloon man?) and now they grow roses... almost to remember Minerva even. I'm so happy with ending, it chuffs my heart. You did it just right :) And you seemed to zap back to the beginning, by first explaining the house then what's outside of it and lastly what the people do which is slightly out of habit. I feel like we've really been on a journey with these characters. Great job Blue <3

What would I change? I would show a bit more affection from Christian for Sarah. I know their oldies now and maybe aren't so open about it, but sometimes maybe just have Christian smiling at her smile, or him taking her hand. I felt that Christian wasn't really in love with Sarah... but more so just accepting her companionship and being satisfied with her. It's a big jump in this chapter to the young love with Minerva to this love with Sarah. But I would've liked it to be shown a bit more so we do know that he does love her as well. In his own way :)

I am going to say that I love the ending. Because I do. Maybe you weren't going to start from the beginning again... but I thought there were two other options you could've also done with this, and it would've been nice. One would be for Christian to start the last line with the book house used to look like this... and link it up to the first line in the beginning chapter. Or you could've said something along the lines of, "I guess it's my turn to tell my story," and chuckle a bit, so the reader could see that after listening to Goblins, Ronin's and everyone else's stories, it was time for someone to listen to him. I really like that latter idea, but then again it's just an idea, and you might prefer this ending to all of the choices there ^.^ It is your story as well!

Blue, thank you for letting me read such a wonderful story ^.^ It was all my pleasure.

Deanie x

BluesClues says...

Thank you for reading it! I hope you don't mind if I tag you in the opening-chapter revisions that I'm about to post. I'm obviously also going to revise the rest, but the opening chapters were completely rewritten (chapters 1-3) so I thought I'd get everyone's opinions on those... I was trying to think of a good line to have him start his story with, so I'll keep playing around with that.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 am
Iggy wrote a review...

I'm seriously gonna cry. Wow. I never realized how attached to this story I was until now.

I'm happy that Christian found a new love. I am. But whenever they got to the part of Minerva, I could feel myself losing it. She was everything to him, and now she's been gone for forty years. My goodness. It's heartbreaking. I'm glad Christian moved on and married and had a child (Robert? Really?) but at least he's happy.

Morrow doesn't seem very happy, from what I saw. I suppose he never moved on from Tirion, which breaks my heart. But what makes it worse is that he and Christian drifted apart, or rather, they were never really close but still. They never keep in contact? That's sad. I hate that. I suppose they were a reminder of the bad times and the losses to each other.

I think this ended quite beautifully. I forgot to mention in the last review that I freaked out when he ruined his house and his books. Why? Did the loss from the battle ruin books and reading for him? Or was it because nothing would ever be the same again? Anyways, I do like that he turned it into a Greenhouse to honor Minerva, and that his wife continued to run Conrad's balloon cart for him. It's nice to see that they're still sticking to old habits, albeit changed.

This was truly a nice ending. I like how it ended, with him trailing off with his story, and it's just so heartbreakingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with me. I truly enjoyed every step of the way and I'm kinda attached to this story *laughs* I will miss this. I hope that one day, people all over the world will cry as I cried, laugh as I laughed, and enjoy as I enjoyed.

TBM forever <3

BluesClues says...

Ily so much.

Also if you want to know more about what happened with Morrow and Christian between the main story and this chapter, I can PM you. It's kind of a lot because I put a lot of thought into that. But it's not entirely sad, I promise. Actually it ends quite happily.

Iggy says...

MAKE IT INTO A SHORT STORY

BluesClues says...

It's a lot, though. More like one-shots of various scenes that take place afterward.

You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky