Blind - Chapter 7

by WillowPaw1

The school Mother signed me up for is called ElmWood Middle School. It's near our house and almost everyone in town who is old enough goes to it. I am a little excited but still very worried.

We wrote invitations to my friends for my birthday party that was to be held in a week. I asked my mother if I could sign my name myself. She helped me by guiding my hand over the paper while I gripped the pencil tight. Mother told me it was slanted but looked good. I did that for Elizabeth's too.

When Father went to work the next day he stopped by the mailbox to drop off my invintations. Sheila stayed home from school because she had the flu, but Jason was fine and he went. I hope Sheila gets better.

Mother resumed our lessons so I would be caught up when school starts in the fall. She didn't want me falling behind, even though I would be in a special education class.

After we finished our history of Ancient Rome for the day, Mother said she had another surprise for me.

"You'll be fine at home yourself, Sheila?" Mother asked my sister. We were going somewhere and I was super excited.

"Yeah!" Sheila called from a room in the house. I wasn't sure which one, but it sounded as if her voice was coming from the living room.

"Come, Ember," Mother said, holding my hand and squeezing it. She led me to the front door and helped me get a jacket on. It was a windbreaker that my family says is purple, and it is very comfortable.

We left the house, and my hands became very sweaty by the minute. I wiped them on my jeans. Mother helped me in the car, but I buckled myself. It was pretty easy, actually.

Mother started the engine and the car started backing up. I don't go in the car a lot, only when we're shopping for clothes, going for a picnic, or something with the family.

I tried to count the minutes in my head, but when I messed up and lost count, I stopped. I wondered what time it was, but I didn't ask.

"We're here!" Mother said. The car slowed down and then stopped. Mother beckoned me out, and when I stepped outside I felt the hot sun burning on my arm. When I looked up I saw that strange color in my eyes.

I clutched Mother's hand as she lead me straight forward. I was guessing we were in a parking lot because every once in a while I heard cars driving past me, making my hair get in my face. It really does tickle.

The ringing from the door told me we were going in a shop. But what for? I didn't need anything else, did I?

Mother lead me somewhere, and when I heard the barking of dogs I suddenly knew why we were here.

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there!

So as this novel progresses, I've noticed two things.
1) This is 99% about Ember's life and her experiences
2) There's a new story in every chapter.

Those two things aren't bad things of course. In fact, I think they're both good things. That's just what I've noticed as I've been reading this.

So, let's focus on the first point. 99% of this story is about Ember and her life. When looking at the category you put this under, narrative and realistic, that is right on target. Since it's a narrative, the main character should be the one telling the story and they should be telling it about their life. In that case, it works. But as a story as a whole, it doesn't work as well. Let me explain. It's great that we're learning about Ember. She is the main character after all. In the meantime though, her family sort of gets pushed into the shadows. Sure we hear about her mother and Sheila all the time, but what about her father? And what about her brother? Her family just seems to fall to the wayside. Surely the rest of her family is a part of her life more than this novel is letting one.

Onto the second point. There seems to be a new story in every chapter. Now, it's not that you're deviating from the plot line. You're not. But there aren't really smooth transfers into the next chapter. It seems like something happens in one chapter and then something completely different. In a way, that's good. You're not spreading one day over three different chapters. But then again, you seem to jump from one thing to another. One chapter they're sitting around the campfire and the next chapter Ember is learning to read Braille. Do you see what I mean?

I know that you've posted three more chapters after this, but maybe you could keep this in mind when you go back and edit. Just try to find ways to link the chapters together.

**Noelle**

Em101cats wrote a review...

Every single chapter you do improves from the last! I have seen no errors concerning spelling or grammar, and the suspense is great! Way to set the mood of the story in a professional way!

I didn't notice ANY mistakes, so this review probably won't earn me many points. But hey, when you don't notice any errors, what can you say? Great work, Willow! Better and better every time!

WillowPaw1 says...

Thanks! :D

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:45 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hello once again! A few nitpicks:

Just as a quick note, you're spelling invitation wrong. You spell it as invintations. Found here:

We wrote invintations to my friends for my birthday party tonight.

(also, sending out invitations for a party that very night doesn't make sense because they won't get delivered in time)

and here:

Mother told me it was slanted but looked good. I did that for Elizabeth's too.

It was a purple windbreaker, and very comfortable.

Since she can't see, adding on "or so I've been told" after "purple" would make more sense; otherwise, it sounds as if she is the one describing the jacket, as if she can see it.

When I looked up I saw that strange color in my eyes.

Since she's blind, why not describe this mysterious color to us? Show us her perception of red or yellow or whatever this is, because it's strange and unknown to her and I want to know what she thinks of it.

Moving on, I feel like you jump around a lot with every new chapter. For one, you never told us what happened to Sheila, if anything did happen to her. For two, her party came out of nowhere. I know you mentioned her birthday was coming up, but still. For three, what about the braille? Ember was so happy to be given an opportunity, a silver lining, and it's like she forgot about it now. Doesn't she long to learn more?

Other than those nitpicks, I think that this is getting good so far. You always have a good ending that makes me want to read more, and now I have a feeling that she's somewhere near dogs to get a seeing dog, no? I'm anxious to know, so keep me updated whenever new chapters go up. :)

WillowPaw1 says...

Okay, the eighth is up! :)

puppys3117 wrote a review...

this is getting better every chapter, WillowPaw1!!! ur doing amazing!

Spelling: I noticed- nothing wrong!
Grammer: same as spelling- perfect!
Suspence: in the middle. I knew where Ember was so it didn't have any suspence, but when she was in the car, it did get a little suspencful!
Rating: 5 stars and 10 out of 10!

Great job!
Keep writing this series or I will cry :'( XD
~puppys3117~

WillowPaw1 says...

I'll write more I promise! :D Thanks for the review

The human heart has hidden treasures, in secret kept, in silence sealed...
— Charlotte Bronte