z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Blind - Chapter 4

by WillowPaw1


I put some thought into what Sheila said—about calling my parents Mom and Dad. I don't know. It doesn't sound right, only Mother and Father do. I think I'm just going to continue calling them that. Maybe one day I'll change.

For breakfast that morning I asked Sheila and Jason to let me get to my chair myself. I was walking against our bumpy wall like usual, brushing my hand along it. I bumped into a chair a few feet later. I made my way around it to feel the edge of the table, and I knew it was the end one. The length was very short.

I made my way around the table. I found the two end chairs, which I knew weren't mine. But the other four were hard to determine.

I grunted feriously, and gave up.

"Sheila, which is mine?" I asked softly. I didn't know if she was in the room or not because I didn't here her come in, and she wasn't sitting in one of the chairs yet.

After there was no reply, I yelled,"Sheila!"

I heard feet slap across the floor. "Which chair is mine?" I ask. I wasn't completely sure it was Sheila because I couldn't smell her shampoo, but I knew it was someone.

Sheila walked over to me. Now I knew it was her. I could smell the wonderful citrus fruity smell on her. I wonder if anyone else can. She grasped my hand and led me over to a chair, and tapped it with my finger.

"We're having waffles today," Sheila says as I scoot into the chair. They are very short and wide with a cushiony substance at the bottom.

"I love waffles," I reply, squirming in my chair. Sometimes I get very impatient, especially when it comes to food. Most of the time I can't get it myself unless someone prepares it for me or guides me. Small things like granola bars I can almost get myself. I'm trying to master that. What I will do is walk in the kitchen, then go along the wall where te refrigerator is located. The pantry is right after that, and in the pantry is where we keep snacks. At least, I'm pretty sure. I've heard Jason open it, and a minute later he's snacking on chips.

Sheila laughs softly then sits next to me. "We should add something special to your chair so you'll be able to get to it," she says.

That would be a great idea! It could be like my pillow, the one with all the fuzzy strings attached to it. It would be amazing if I could be able to recognize my own chair.

"Yeah, we should," I reply, sighing. I wish I wasn't blind. I wish I was normal, like my friends and Sheila and Jason. But clearly that can't happen.

~~~

On Sunday we didn't do anything. Mostly we did what we do everyday: Mother doing laundry and Father washing the dishes. Jason is always playing his video games. Sometimes I like listening to it, but other times I don't. He says one of them is a hunting game, and I don't like the sound of the guns shooting then colliding with the animal. It's cruel.

Sheila did her normal thing. She went on her laptop, which is something I can't use. It has little buttons that if you tap end up on the screen. Sheila also read her historical fiction book which I long to read. She said once she finishes the story she'll tell it to me. I hope she does. The other thing Sheila does—and again I can't do—is use modeling clay. It's called polymer clay and I like to squish it but I can't make anything out of it. Sometimes it's very soft and other times it's as hard as a rock, which I believe is the hardest thing on Earth. I'm not positive though.

What I do on weekends is listen to music. It's the number one thing I love to do. My favorite song is Counting Stars by OneRepublic and I don't think it'll ever change unless a miracle song pops up.

My earliest memory of myself is when I was four. I was trying to walk up the stairs but each time I either couldn't find the railing or I would trip on the next step up. When I'm in a sad mood I remember this memory and I laugh to myself. It cheers me up.

Father says I was born blind. I don't have any memory of color, or how things look exactly or what blonde looks like. So I believe him when he says that, because I think it's true. Jason tells me it is recorded on my birth certificate. But I can't read so there isn't any point in telling me that.

Once a song finished on my iPod I turn it off. Sheila showed me how to use it. You just put the earbuds in your ears, scroll down and click a song. I don't know where any of the songs are, though, so I pick randomly. All of them on there I like. Sheila did tell me, though, that if I go down four times I'll get to Counting Stars. Sometimes it is very good to have a sister who can see for you.

I went out of my room and down the hall—being sure to skim my hand across the wall—to ask Mother what time it was. I understand time, as long as people say if it's in the morning or afternoon.

"3:20 p.m." Mother replies. I did the math in my head. We usually go to bed at about 8:30 p.m. on school days. Sunday counts as a school day because the next day we have school. I had five hours and twenty minutes until bedtime. To me, that was forever.

I wondered if tomorrow Mother would talk to me about real school.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:18 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

This is a very informative chapter. I like how you're giving us some real insight into your main character's life. t's nice to finally dive into her past and really understand why she is how she is. Just a side note here: do we know her name yet? It's been a little while since I read the first couple chapters so I can't remember if we know her name or not. Obviously that's a good thing to let the readers know.

I hope that this picks up some pace in later chapters. As much as I like learning about our main character, I want to see the story move forward. It seems to be at a little of a standstill right now.

Here are a few nitpciks:

I wonder if anyone else can could.

You have to make sure your tenses are constant. I think this is the only time you switch tenses (I didn't pick up any other times). Even though it sounds weird to use the word 'could' here, it's the correct way to do it. It means the same as if you keep it as 'can', but 'could' fits in with the past tense.

She grasped my hand and led me over to a chair, and tapped it with my finger.

The second half of this sentence is redundant. Remember, this girl is blind. Well, duh, I'm sure you remember that xD But what I mean is that the only way she can tell that Sheila led her to her chair is if she feels the chair. Make sense?

I had five hours and twenty minutes until bedtime.

Actually, if her bedtime is 8:30 she'd have 5 hours and 10 minutes, not 5 hours and 20 minutes.

Alrighty then, onto the next chapter! :)

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




WillowPaw1 says...


Thanks! Her name is Ember. :D



Noelle says...


Oh duh. I remember now! xD



WillowPaw1 says...


:P



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:22 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



You didn't tell me that you posted more chapters! *glares*

Anyways, moving on. A minor nitpick:

I could be a blue to recognize my chair and get to it myself.


The beginning of this sentence doesn't make sense. I feel like something's missing, so be sure to fix it.


Moving on, I'm liking the pacing to this. It's slow and steady; you show us her home-style life, how her family treats her, how she manages with being blind, how she gets her way around. I'm loving the spunk in her, how she's so dependent on other people that she tries to be independent and do things on her own. That shows me that she is strong and persistent, and so I admire her rather than pity her for being blind.

I loved the little tidbit about the music and how much she enjoys it. Music is life and I know it must make her feel a bit normal if she can at least hear. :)

You're doing well with including minor imagery details, more than focus on the other senses rather than sight. Your writing is beautiful so far, and the flow is smooth. All of this is being presented in a steady, well paced fashion. I'm enjoying this so far so I'm off to read the next chapter! ^^




User avatar
130 Reviews


Points: 2667
Reviews: 130

Donate
Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:52 pm
View Likes
Em101cats wrote a review...



I love this! Thanks for explaining what gave her the blindness - she was born with it. I expected that something happened to her after her birth, but I guess it's your story and you can write it the way you want. I loved this and one of the things I love the most is this: the mention of OneRepublic with Counting Stars. Now, it's not because I like OneRepublic (I do, though) it's actually because it makes the story feel connected to the real world. By mentioning a song that lots of people know and actually listen to, people can connect better to the story and to you. Also with the mention of books, laptops, etc.. I love it. You did wonderful at making your chapter closer to the real world than the others! I didn't see any errors in this chapter so great work! Keep up the good thinking!




WillowPaw1 says...


Thanks! I didn't want anything to happen to her after birth because I didn't want her to know what a color was. :3



Em101cats says...


Oh, now I understand why you did that. I have noticed Ember mention color a lot. I suppose they'll play a big part sometime in the story! It all makes sense now. Awesome work! :3



WillowPaw1 says...


Thanks! I reviewed yours <3



Em101cats says...


Thanks! I just finished chapter three. If you haven't already, please read and review! It means a lot to me to hear what others are thinking! :)



WillowPaw1 says...


Okay, I will ! Just need to clear my notifications and stuff, then I'll get right to it! :)




akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon