White Lace

by Elinor

From the time she was young, Caroline’s parents had always told her to work hard, and the rest, they assured her, would figure itself out. And for a while she had a lot of good fortune.She had always been a smart child. School came naturally to her. Four years of straight As, a perfect ACT score and a wide range of extracurriculars from spending the second semester of her sophomore year in Italy to captaining the Varsity soccer team culminated with an acceptance to Harvard in late March of her senior year. Caroline remembered those last few months well.

“Did you hear that Caroline Craig got into Harvard?” she’d hear someone say in the hallway.

“Damn,” their friend would respond. “Is she going to go there?”

“I think so. She’s so smart, you know she got a 36 on the ACTs, right? And she took AP Physics as a junior.”

She’d been so sure of everything then, so focused on her future and her dream of becoming an environmental lawyer that she’d shut everything else out. She wondered what her classmates must have thought of her. “What does this girl know about suffering? She has everything.” Probably something along those lines.

“Caroline, hello?”

Ivy’s voice snapped her back to reality. “Yes?”

“Hey, are you okay? Can you do this trip?”

“I’m fine.”

Ivy looked at her with worry. “I’m going to go get us some food, okay? We probably don’t board for like, another thirty minutes.”

“That would be great.”

“Chipotle sound good?”

“Ivy, sometimes you read my mind.”

Ivy smiled, grabbed her wallet, and walked off. Caroline looked out at the wide windows before, watched the airplanes on the runway as they ascended into the sky, as they touched down in search of their gates. In the horizon the son

Caroline had been many places and had traveled on many airplanes, but for the first time she began to realize how fascinating the whole concept was. That in a few short hours, you could be in another part of the country, or even the world, when less than a hundred years ago such a voyage would have taken days or even months.

By the time Caroline would wake up in the morning, she and Ivy would be in Rwanda to conduct research about the dwindling population of mountain gorillas. It had been a dream of hers ever since she was a little girl. For five months she’d looked forward to it with increasing restlessness. But now that it was her, all she felt was empty.

Max’s words to her still rung in her head. “If you walk out that door, we are done, you hear me?”

“Max, I have to do this trip.”

“Fuck you. You’re such an insensitive bitch.”

Five years they’d been together. Five years of thinking that he was the one.

Relationships were one thing that Caroline never had been good at. When Max came along, everything was good for a while. Then the baby had come. Nine months of pregnancy only to give birth to a baby that was already dead.

Reality set in. Caroline poured herself into work, pushed Max away. Then she met Ivy when she’d arrived for her first day of work not a year ago, twenty-two years old, just out of college, so bright and optimistic about the opportunities of the world. Their friendship had really gotten her back on track to realizing what was important. But by then their relationship had already been irrevocably changed.

“Max, I carried this baby, don’t be so fucking selfish.”

“I’m being selfish? You’re the one who got so wrapped up in your job that you did absolutely nothing for our relationship. I’m so fucking tired of being the one who initiates everything. Do you even care at all about our relationship? Baby, I love you, but I don’t think I can do this anymore. Especially if you’re going to be gone for six months.”

Caroline hadn’t been able to answer. She did love Max. She wanted to marry him. After all, she was still only twenty-seven. Plenty of time to try again for kids. But so overwhelmed by her emotions, she’d run off. As if losing the baby wasn’t enough, she had to lose Max too.

Then the tears began, right in the middle of the crowded airport.

Ivy returned with the food. “Here’s your chicken burrito.”

“I love you.”

Ivy sat down, noticing Caroline’s tears.

“Hey, it’s okay. Come here,” she said, letting Caroline cry into her shoulder.

“I messed up. I really fucking messed up.”

“No, hey. I can’t imagine going through what you went through. Something like that is going to be difficult for anyone to deal with. Don’t blame yourself.”

Caroline searched for something to say, but only tears came.

As the sun set further into the horizon, Caroline watched the planes rise and descend. People going to a new reality, far from the one they had now and in their specific place in time. Not even possible a hundred years ago.

“Max hates me.”

“He doesn’t hate you.”

“I’m doing the same thing all over again. I’m running away from difficult things.”

“Caroline, hush,” Ivy said. “You’ve wanted to this trip forever. I get where Max is coming from, but he should be able to respect what you want too.”

“I feel like such a bitch.”

Ivy sighed. “Sometime life isn’t easy. You can plan and plan and plan for everything to be great and it all goes to hell. We’re going to have a great trip. This is going to be great for our careers. And then we’ll go back. Look, I’m twenty-three. There’s still so much I don’t know about the world. But what keeps me going is that I know there are good things ahead. And maybe Max wasn’t the one.”

Caroline sighed. It was hard to imagine meeting someone else she loved the way she’d loved Max. And as much as she wished she could have gone back and made better choices, she knew she could only move forward. And that future would be without Max. She’d lost him through no one’s fault but her own. It stung a lot to think of it that way, but maybe there were better times ahead. She was only twenty-seven. That was still a lot of life to live.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:18 am
Myrrh wrote a review...

Hi, Elinor.

I enjoyed reading this, and I am impressed that despite the brevity of your story you conveyed a lot of plot and emotion. Good job! The dialogue between Caroline and Max was realistic and convincing, and the conversation tidbits of Caroline and Ivy were charming. You did well in differentiating the relationships between the characters through their speech . . . keep up the good work! However, there are a few things that could use work.

Then she met Ivy when she’d arrived for her first day of work not a year ago, twenty-two years old, just out of college, so bright and optimistic about the opportunities of the world.

The subject of your sentence is "she" in reference to Caroline, but the second time you use "she" ("when she'd arrived") you're talking about Ivy - though grammar dictates that you're still referring to Caroline. Reread sentences while proofing to be sure your pronouns are used accurately.

Their friendship had really gotten her back on track to realizing what was important. But by then their relationship had already been irrevocably changed.

Here, you use "their" to describe Caroline and Ivy, then continue on to use "their" to, presumably, describe Caroline and Max. Grammar, again, assumes "their" is still applying to Caroline and Ivy. Be careful with your pronoun usage.

These pronoun mistakes are easy to make when speaking colloquially, but (normally) when writing a narrative prose, you have to slow yourself down a bit and be sure your ideas are crystal clear.

I also agree with Blue Africa in that Caroline's age was especially confusing throughout this. I think this could easily be fixed by the rearrangement of a few sentences to allow a clearer expression of thought.

Overall, nice piece. Very dramatic but I liked the message it carried. To move on is one of the hardest things to do in life, and I think most people can relate to this theme!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:40 am
SocialSuicide107 wrote a review...

Hello Lovely!

So I really like this piece, it's defiantly something different, however, I do have a suggestion. I was kinda confused about this whole Max thing. I understand that she loved him and for a really long time, but why? It might just be me, but I feel like it would have been a much deeper piece and slightly easier to connect to if there was reasons on why she loved him. I think it would have made it easier to feel her sorrow about losing Max if you could kinda "see" how much he meant to her. I mean you did a wonderful job in showing how important her work was to her and how hard she actually had to work to get what she wanted, but that's what I personally think would have made this better.

Blue&Iggy alreayd mentioned the age thing, so I highly doubt you want to hear that again. So, overall, it was a really good piece. You had a strong background, good intro to the characters, and good detail when you talked about the airplanes, it showed her wonderlust, her need to go out and explore the world.

Thank you for sharing this!(:

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:17 am

So this was mostly pretty good. The dialogue flows naturally and I like how you introduced Ivy. Oftentimes, when introducing friends of the POV character, writers feel a need to let us know exactly who this person is right away, which can bog a story down (depending on how it's done). But, since Caroline knows who Ivy is, you just put Ivy in there and let us figure out their relationship from context.

One thing that was kind of a problem for me, though, is that I had a hard time keeping track of Caroline's age until the part where you flat-out said that she was twenty-seven. I think it's just a question of smoother transitions between bits of backstory. Like, the story starts out talking about Caroline's latter years of high school, so when it got to Max and the stillborn baby I assumed she'd been dating Max throughout high school and had the baby when she was just graduating.

(Which, okay, now that I think about it doesn't make sense with how hard a worker she was in school--she never would've chanced messing that up by getting pregnant. But that's not the sort of thing you think about while reading unless you sit there and puzzle over it for a while.)

Then you mentioned she was twenty-two, so I was like, "Oh, okay, that makes more sense," and assumed she was twenty-two going on this trip...and then you mentioned that she was twenty-seven and I realized all the latter ages had just been part of Caroline's background.

Which is fine, but I think you need to make it clearer from the beginning, in that case, that this is Caroline, now twenty-seven, thinking back on all this stuff that happened to her (or that she did), leading up to her life's dream of working with gorillas in Rwanda.

(On that note: LUCKY!!!!!)

My suggestion would be to start the story off with Caroline looking for the plane or waiting for Ivy or whatever--something in the "now" of the story that puts us in our story's present before going over the backstory. That would let us know right from the get-go how old Caroline is at the time of the story, what the time of the story is, and that the rest is Caroline thinking back to the things that led up to this moment.

The only other thing is this paragraph:

Caroline looked out at the wide windows before, watched the airplanes on the runway as they ascended into the sky, as they touched down in search of their gates. In the horizon the son

I'm not sure what was going on when you were writing this paragraph, but it's oddly botched...especially considering how well-written the rest of the story is. Just to draw your attention to that.

Blue

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:38 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hey Eli!

Okay, so I noticed a few nitpicks:

And for a while she had a lot of good fortune.She had always been a smart child.

Missing space between the sentences.

In the horizon the son

That sentence was abruptly cut off.. A mistake, I assume?

But now that it was her, all she felt was empty.

Should be here.

“You’ve wanted to this trip forever.

Cut out the indicated word.

You can plan and plan and plan for everything to be great and it all goes to hell. We’re going to have a great trip. This is going to be great for our careers.

You use the word "great" three times in a row. I'm sure you can think of a better synonym, so I suggest you edit that sentence and spice it up. :P

Okay, nitpicks aside, this was pretty awesome. Not gonna lie, I loved it. I got a bit confused about Caroline's age because you mentioned Ivy's age and I had to reread the entire thing twice before it made sense.

And while I'm still trying to understand the meaning behind your title, I think I get the meaning behind the story. You're trying to show that a girl who may seem perfect on the outside isn't as perfect on the inside, and her life isn't as great as you may think it is. She's human and she deals with as much drama and crap as we do. You chose a pretty sad situation to show that she isn't perfect, with her child dying, and therefore you hit me right in the heart. :( I was hoping to see a bit more emotion, about both the baby and Max, and how bad it really was, but what you gave us was good enough. I mean, she's described as a strong woman, so I can't possibly expect her to break down, right?

But I digress. The story was overall very good. I was a bit disappointed with how she and Max broke up, but I guess there was more to their story than we knew. Either that, or the loss of their child lifted a rift between them, and this trip was just an excuse for them to run from the pain. I think, anyways. Either way, it was all pretty darn sad. Hitting me right in the feels at every corner.

Overall, it was beautifully written, Eli, and it was a pleasure to read. :)

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.