Why we write.

by TheShauzer

A writer’s mind is like a vast cavern. It is unimaginably huge, with winding paths and tunnels flowing through it like a network of veins. Veins of imagination, for in these tunnels lie the plots of undeveloped stories and poems, potential for greatness. And on the ceiling hang stalactites, ideas waiting to crash home. In the walls of stone there is the constant knowledge of what we were born to do. We may face uncertainties along the way; we may take detours and lead ourselves down the wrong roads. But we know, deep inside those walls of stone, what we were born to do. We were born to write.

EscapeToNeverland wrote a review...

Hey, it's Neverland here to review your work!!!

First off I like the way you wrote a piece about the reason as to why we write. Not to many people do, I think it's quite nice. :)

Moving on to the actual review part.
I like the way you compare a writer mind to a cavern, the way it's so large people cant imagine it, how complex it is. It's quite true really. I also like the way you describe our thoughts.

Normally I would be a little hesitant with an ending like yours, but honestly I loved it! I enjoyed reading this so much, it even gave me inspiration to do a little writing myself, so thank you for that! :D

Keep up the good work! I look foward to seeing some more of your work in the Green Room and/or the Homepage!

~Neverland.

TheShauzer says...

Thanks Neverland :) Cool name by the way

Thanks! Like yours to!!!

joshua3322 wrote a review...

hey Sean, Joshua here reviewing.
reading the other reviews I saw they both could relate I am not really a writer yet still a novice ;) but still I liked the idea and thought that went into this short piece, great thinking went in to each sentence i guess? because each line has had deep imaginative in it, the description on writers and detail on how writers think was a perfect idea to write about.With the punctuation issue cant find anything really wrong with it, commas are in the right place, full stops added in the correct spots and capitals at the start of every new sentences, in my opinion every time I see a new writing piece it improves more and more ;D so keep writing and keep expressing your thoughts through short stories/poems etc
yours truly
-Joshua-

TheShauzer says...

Thanks for the review josh ;)

inkcharmer wrote a review...

Honestly, I was afraid this would be very cheesy when I stumbled upon it, but it is great. It expresses something I think every writer has felt. I'm a pretty big fan if short statements at the end of something (like you used "We were born to write.") when they're done well, and this is an awesome example of it being done well. I like the overall arch of the piece as well as the emphasis of each sentence. I think you accomplished poignancy (that's a thing right?) without pushing melodrama. It's good. It's really good. (That was a bad example of a short statement to end a paragraph.)

TheShauzer says...

Haha thanks inkcharmer :)

Iggy wrote a review...

So short, yet so deep. And I'm not even being sarcastic here x)

I wasn't sure what to expect when I followed the link in the Green Room. I expected to see something corny, or silly, but this is far from either. This was something that I was actually able to connect with, because of the words you chose. They were a definite hook line and sinker.

I'm not sure how long it took you to write this, but each sentence is beautiful, strong, and laced with imagery. There's a lot of power behind this, because it's something I can strongly relate to. It's something I can envision happening right now, inside my brain, and it's something that speaks to me because I'm a writer.

Overall, this was beautifully written. I can't offer any critiques or nitpicks, only a suggestion: I think this would make a good poem, so consider trying. ^^ Very well written. I enjoyed reading this. :)

TheShauzer says...

Thanks Iggy, I thought a lot of people here would relate :)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
— Miles Kington