12+

The Crows of Casterwick

by TriSARAHtops

Author's Note: This story was written for GriffinClaw's contest "Picture Prompts". The picture I was given, which was the inspiration for this story is at the bottom of the page.

On the hottest day of the year, there were two murders in the hills near my town.

One was of crows.

The other was of a girl.

There was also a first kiss, a last hurrah, two true loves and boy driven mad.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. I’d hate to ruin the ending, before you knew how it began. Let me tell you what happened.

.

I suppose that I should begin by introducing myself. The short version of it is this: I’m Bertie, or Alberta, if you’re my mother, I’m sixteen, addicted to dyeing my hair and, due to an incident in my childhood which I refuse to discuss, I’m not such a fan of birds. I live in Casterwick, a little town hours from anywhere substantial and surrounded by hills that makes me understand what they were on about in A Sound of Music. I like to think that I’m pretty normal, and consider myself a sensible, practical kind of person.

For almost a year now, I’ve lived next door to a boy named Quentin. If you ever asked anyone at school about Quentin, they’d probably tell you about his two true loves: birds and photography. If he can combine the two, he’s on top of the moon. He’s strange and sweet, and often says the oddest things. We became close not long after he and his family moved to Casterwick, and unfortunately for me, this meant that I got dragged along on a number of bird watching expeditions. I suppose that I could have refused, but it was always worth it to see the look on Quentin’s face as he took photos of the birds. Pure, unconstrained happiness. That’s what I saw, and I suppose I always went along because I hoped that it would rub off on me. Maybe it did, in part, because despite being in sheer terror, I loved our bird watching trips.

Yes, loved. Past tense. You’ll see why.

I tried to talk Quentin out of going, that last time. This was mostly because of the weather. All week, we’d been hearing the forecasts – over forty degrees, dry as a bone, no cloud cover and strong winds. Bushfire weather. In town, we weren’t in too much danger from any fires, but the hills where Quentin liked to go were covered in dense bushland and long grass, all of which had been dried by drought. It wasn’t just dangerous; it was a catastrophe waiting to happen. All of the vegetation would be fuel for the flames, and having grown up in the area, I was all too familiar with the horror stories about people getting trapped. It would be suicidal to go anywhere near the hills. But Quentin couldn’t be dissuaded.

“But Bertie, the crows might never come back!” he exclaimed, when I told him about how dangerous it would be, “They never appear around here, and there are hundreds of them.”

“So?” I asked, “What good’s that going to be when you get roasted?”

“Come on, school starts next week,” Quentin reminded me, not that I had forgotten, “It’s our last chance to do something.”

“What, like a last hurrah before we get dredged up in homework again?”

“Exactly.”

“The answer’s still no.” I frowned. “It isn’t worth risking it.”

Quentin huffed. By this point, our argument had been going on for a while. He seemed so hung up on going, more so than I had ever seen him. Eventually, he said, “Fine, if it makes you happy, we’ll just go in the morning. Two hours, tops.”

“We leave there by ten at the latest.” I was glad that he was willing to compromise, but still cautious. At this point, I figured that it wouldn’t be too dangerous in the morning, and I was worried about Quentin going by himself if I refused to go.

“Deal,” he sighed.

It’s ironic now, that I didn’t want to go because of bushfires. I thought I knew what to expect, but I had no idea what the true cost would be.

.

I guess that takes care of the murder of crows. The other one, I’m getting to. It’s a pretty harsh coincidence that we set out to find one type of murder only to be subject to another. I always meant to ask Quentin why they call a group of crows a murder. Maybe there isn’t a reason. Maybe it’s all just dumb luck.

The trip up to Quentin’s bird watching spot was pretty uneventful. As usual, we took the bus and then walked the rest of the way. It took a little longer than it normally would because even though it was early, it was already stinking hot. We talked the whole way; even though he can be painfully shy and awkward in a crowd, Quentin’s always been one of those people that I never run out of things to talk about with. I’ve kind of forgotten exactly what we spoke about on the walk, actually. School, friends, what we’d do if we won a million dollars, all that kind of thing, I think. Nothing important.

As Quentin snapped photos and admired his crows, I tried not to stress about the weather. Quentin grew up in the middle of suburbia, so he never had to develop the paranoia about fires like I did. Seeing reports of fires on the telly doesn’t compare to looking up and not be able to see the sky because it’s completely obscured by smoke. As I tried to distract myself, I couldn’t help but admit that the sheer number of crows was impressive. Not worth risking a fiery death for, but still.

I sat down on a rock, and looked out over Casterwick. From up here, the town looked like a sea of green-brown backyards and glinting tin rooves. I sighed. God, it’s hot, I remember thinking. The heat felt like a physical force pressing up against me, even in the shade. I stood up again, and wandered over to Quentin, trying to distract myself from the heat. He didn’t seem to be having the same problems, because he didn’t even glance at me as I stood next to him. The focused mask that I saw on his face everyday had slipped away, to be replaced by a relaxed, almost goofy grin. Sometimes I wondered why Quentin loved the birds so much. I used to think that it was because he felt like they were able to understood him better than people could. Now, after what he did, I think it’s a little more complex than that.

.

The next few moments feel as though they are etched onto my memory in a series of snapshots. The first is the branches of the trees rising as they are relieved of weight. The second is of a sky full of glossy black bodies blotting out the sun, accompanied by the sound of a hundred flapping wings. Next comes a single black feather, which falls daintily past me, its slow progress a stark contrast to the chaos above, followed by an empty sky and silence.

The last image in my mind is of Quentin, doubled over, hands covering his ears. I rushed over to him, trying to calm my own breathing. Alfred Hitchcock was onto something when he made The Birds because I had been left shaky by the sudden departure of the crows. Even after coming out here so many times with Quentin, my fear still hadn’t vanished.

I was surprised to see Quentin so affected though. He was muttering to himself, his words unintelligible.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Don’t,” he murmured, “It’s too loud. Leave me alone.”

“Quentin?” Needless to say, I was confused. I placed a hand on his shoulder, which he shrugged of violently.

“Back off!” he yelled, and shoved me. I fell to the ground, and looked up at him in horror. This was such a contrast to the quiet, mild boy I had been living next to for the past year, and I didn’t know how to process the change. It had come from nowhere, and I was terrified. It was such a different feeling to how the crows made me feel; this was true, proper fear. “Stay away!”

“What- Why…?” I had no idea what to say.

Quentin blanched. “Not you. Not now. I can’t…” he said sadly. “I thought it would be better here, Bertie. I thought I would be okay.”

He looked at me, the pain visible in the furrow of his brow and the small creases at the side of his mouth. “Tell me.” I stood up again, and met his eye. “What would be better?”

“It was always too loud,” he said, flinching at the eye contact. “I could always hear them… they were so noisy, and I couldn’t stop it. I thought, maybe it would be better here, quieter. But it’s started again. I hear it.”

“Hear what?”

“You.” There was no emotion in his voice. I shuddered, and tried to look for some trace of the old Quentin in the person in front of me. It was impossible, I thought, that someone could change so much without any warning.

Although, mind you, looking back, I guess there were some signs of this. Quentin’s awkward behaviour in crowds, his shyness, his trips out into the hills, they all seem tied to how he was acting. Part of me thinks that I should have noticed that he wasn’t just timid. I was his closest friend – I should have been able to tell.

“It’s too loud.” He shook his head and leaned against one of the trees, hugging the trunk. “Make it stop, Bertie. It’s too damn loud.

“Please, Quentin.” I didn’t want to leave him, but every single instinct I had was screaming at me to run.

I don’t want to hear it anymore! I want it to go away.” He clung to the branch tighter. “Why did it have to be you? It’s all I can hear. I can’t hear anything else.

Suddenly, Quentin launched himself away from the tree with a cry. Within moments, he was standing centimetres from me, and I felt an intense pain just below my ribcage.

And to think I had been worried about bushfires.

.

As I looked into Quentin’s eyes, I thought I saw something change in them. The desperate glint vanished, and was replaced by a mournful softness. “Oh no,” he sobbed, choking out the syllables, “What have I done?”

I tried to speak, but found that I couldn’t. The pain in my stomach was excruciating, and it seemed to radiate throughout my body. I couldn’t think straight. I couldn’t stand up anymore. My legs felt wobbly and they buckled beneath me. Looking down, I could see the handle protruding from my torso. It just seemed to out of place, like a movie come to life. Blood stained my t-shirt, and I could tell it wasn’t a clean wound by the crimson flesh surrounding the knife.

I wanted to ask where you get a knife, but all I managed to choke out was, “Quentin.”

“I’m so sorry,” he whispered, “Oh my God, what have I done, Bertie?”

He pulled me close, and held me with the same fervour that he’d clutched the tree with only moments earlier. Keeping my eyes open was starting to become tricky, but I forced myself to stare at Quentin and ask, “Why?”

“It was too loud,” he replied, “It’s always too loud. But I never thought it’d be you.”

I blinked, my vision growing blurry, and I clutched at Quentin with all my strength. I tried to speak, but couldn’t. I felt a tear track down my face. Even breathing was so very, very difficult.

“You’re quiet now,” he said, “I can’t hear anything.”

I couldn’t fight the dullness that was spreading through my mind, and all I could focus on was the fiery pain in my stomach. I had no clue how much time had passed. As my eyes fluttered and closed, I felt a soft pressure on my lips.

The last thing I felt, before I died, was Quentin’s kiss.

.

After my heart stopped beating, the crows returned to the hills. They guarded my body until it was found. These birds, so beloved by my killer, stood by me like sentinels, an army of dark guardians.

Two murders, side by side.

.

This is the image I was given:

Pompadour wrote a review...

Hullo!

It's midnight as I read this, and I am now glancing at my window every now and then. Gosh, this was creepy.

I loved it.

On with the review then!

Technical

Basically, this was pretty much flawless. There were a couple of sentences that seemed to be a bit on the long-ish side, and could do with some restructuring, but you totally had the atmosphere thing down. Your writing style in the beginning was reminiscent to that of The Book Thief. Lovely.

The short version of it is this: I’m Bertie, or Alberta, if you’re my mother, I’m sixteen, addicted to dyeing my hair and, due to an incident in my childhood which I refuse to discuss, I’m not such a fan of birds.

So, the first thing that hit me while reading this was "Whoa! Comma overload!" Maybe replaces a few of those with dashes, or with semicolons? I do love my semicolons! So you could edit it to appear more like this:

The short version of it is this: I’m Bertie, or Alberta, if you’re my mother. I’m sixteen, addicted to dyeing my hair and -- due to an incident in my childhood which I refuse to discuss -- I’m not such a fan of birds.

I wanted to ask where did you get a knife,

Other stuff

I don't have anything to say. Your ending drove shivers down my spine. Not exaggerating. Although I was a bit confused when you spoke about the crows being murdered. "Murder" could have several meanings; it could refer to the loss of something important, or just be plain metaphorical. Also, it'd be cool if we got a little more detail on Quentin's sudden *cough* insanity. I mean, why? There has to be a backstory -- something that pushed him off the cliff. It was unexpected, and kinda out of the blue. Not exactly, seeing as you'd given us some fore-shadowing of the events, but it still managed to throw me off. Add a few subtle hints -- something uncommon, hinting at Quentin's psychological shift.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed reading this. Perfect for a night-time reviewing spree. c:

Keep writing! Keep up the wondertastic work!

Cheers,

~Pompadour

Bol wrote a review...

You have talent. A lot of it.
First thing's first, you nailed the opening. Most shorts I see I just brush off it they're too long for me or it doesn't appeal to me at first glance, but you had me from the first sentence. Great way to set the atmosphere at the start too, revealing just enough smidges of the story to hook your reader in and leave them wanting more.
Another thing I compliment you on is your use of the word 'Murder'. Like BlueAfrica said, you used it ambiguously. What I hate is when writers repeat words over and over and over again, but when it refers to two separate things tied to each other in the story then it's a different um... story.
Another thing you did well was the story leading up until the climax. Too many writers I know dumb down the trip to a place, simplify it to just 'they went to the place on the hill' but you didn't. You kept it simple but kept it detailed enough. Nice. But one thing I suggest you take into account is the birds. Quentin said there were 'hundreds of them' so I'd like to see more description about the birds, the glossy mass of feathers or the cacophony of flapping wings and whatnot. I grew up with a falconer and could give you any number of descriptions on handsome birds like crows and ravens, but besides that a good story.
I also suggest you add a few little hints to Quentin's condition throughout the story leading up to the murder, just enough to make the reader suspicious. Nice plot though, no plot holes I could find, little or no grammar, spelling or punctuation errors. Beautiful story and keep on writing, because this website is for talented people like you.

TriSARAHtops says...

Gosh, thank you! And you advice helps a lot. :-)

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:16 am

So, first of all, WOW. Very cool and very creepy. And actually reminiscent of a post I just saw on Tumblr today, where someone was like "I want a story with a psycho-killer who just seems like a totally normal person and you don't find out the person is a murderer until the last line," and then someone linked to a fanfic where Benedict Cumberbatch takes you for coffee and a walk in the park and then kills you...

But I digress. Anyway, it reminded me of that.

So, plotwise I think this is pretty solid: it's a short horror story, it's straightforward, and the way it happens more or less makes sense. You do a good job of setting a tone with the ungodly heat and the presence of the crows. Plus I love the fact that you use the word "murder" almost ambiguously, meaning both "a group of crows" and "a homicide." Just brilliant.

However, I think you're a little heavy-handed with the foreshadowing. Like here:

"Maybe it did, in part, because despite being in sheer terror, I loved our bird watching trips.

Yes, loved. Past tense. You’ll see why."

I would totally cut out the "Yes, loved" part. You already let us know there would be a murder of crows and a murder of a girl, so we know someone's going to die. We can pick up on the shift in tense without having it pounded into our heads that GUYS THIS IS A TENSE CHANGE AND IT'S GOING TO BE IMPORTANT LATER SO DON'T FORGET ABOUT IT.

See what I'm saying? So I'd tone down the foreshadowing a little bit--restrict it to the opening (which I loved, it hooked me right away), the fact that your narrator is scared of birds, and the set-up of the tone--instead of giving us heavy-handed, out-and-out statements like the above example.

I'd also like to see this expanded on a bit. Personally I'd like to know why, specifically, the narrator is afraid of birds (even a brief, one-line explanation of what happened when she was young would do), but more than that I'd like to see a lot of this drawn out into scenes. Right now it's interesting, but it's largely written as the narrator just telling us what happened, rather than showing us through use of dialogue and action.

Obviously there definitely is dialogue and action in part of the story, and you do very well with it. But for example--the narrator just tells us that Quentin was normally a shy, quiet, awkward boy, but shows us Quentin's breakdown when the crows take off. This breakdown will be much more shocking to the reader if we actually see Quentin's usual behavior and language. One area in which you could do this is this spot:

"The trip up to Quentin’s bird watching spot was pretty uneventful."

You just summarize the trip, but if you write it out as a scene--even a short scene, broken up with little bits of summary (like "Scene--Then we took the bus--More scene")--it will make Quentin's later breakdown that much more powerful.

So I hope this helps. I really enjoyed the story, especially the opening and even though I don't usually like horror or suspense, and I'd love to read it again if you do any revisions you'd like me to look at.

Blue

TriSARAHtops says...

Thank you! I'll definitely take all your advice into consideration! :-)

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 am
AEChronicle wrote a review...

Wow, creepy and beautiful at the same time.

Very inventive. The story is the absolute definition of original, and even classic in its makeup. You have a great writing style that I like, and rather enjoy reading.

The story itself is very intriguing, and keeps the reader, that's me, reading, though it does get a little repetitive in the middle, as Quentin talks about it being too loud, a lot, but in the end, you have enough material to make it worth getting through that little bit.

Sad, that Bertie is murdered by her friend, because of herself. I like that you left a whole lot of strings unattached, that's what makes shorts so much fun. And yours is a very good piece of work.

Thank you TriSARAHtops!

TriSARAHtops says...

Thank you!! I'm so glad you liked it! :-)

Despite everything, it's still you.
— TobyFox