Mother

by MysteryMe

The creature slept. It slept and it slept and it slept and it did not stop. Not for anything. Sometimes, it seemed, it would never stop. But that was all right with her. That was more than all right. If it would just sleep forever, all her problems would be solved.

Breath after breath, the creature’s tiny chest rose and fell in a sleepy, rheumatic pattern. Holding it this close to one’s own body, feeling its heartbeat merge with the ticking of time itself, there was no doubt what it was. Not a doubt in the world. Its frail frame was wrapped in the protection of a blanket as pink as its rosy little cheeks, and in a strange sort of way, it resembled the image of an angel nuzzled by a cloud. But it seemed right. By god, it seemed right. What a treasure this was. What a prize, what a miracle. So small, so delicate, so young.

With its eyelids fluttered shut, a sure sign that it was deep in sleep, the baby curled up in the arms of its mother, using her heartbeat as its only source of warmth and comfort. The woman held it ever so lightly, staring at it with an intense, almost unhealthy, fascination. Its soft, pink face was the mere picture of innocence. So pure, so kind, so free of sin. For a moment, the woman envied it. Envied the purity that radiated off of its sweet skin. She had had that once. So recently, yet so long ago. But that purity was gone now. This child was the proof of that.

The woman stared at her daughter’s face. She looked at it not with love, not with affection, but with only a mild interest, a timid fascination. She knew how wrong this was. How horrible, despicable it was for a mother like her to feel this way. Weren’t mothers supposed to love their children? Look at them and instantly feel a sense of undying devotion, never-ending infatuation? She didn’t understand why it wasn’t the same for her. When she looked at this thing, this creature, she did not see a part of herself as she thought she would. This infant, whether or not it had come from her, was not hers. It couldn’t be. Its strange, scrunched up face. Its white, hair-less head. Its tiny, frail body with arms, ever gently, grasping for love that was not there. This could not be her child. She didn’t feel the sense of adoration that she was told she would. Was this her fault, or the child’s? Was it all a cold lie?

In the midst of thought, the woman felt a light tug on the hem of her skirt. She looked down and saw a small boy. Her boy. His large, brown eyes bore down into hers, touching into her very soul. She shivered despite herself. When others, strangers, would look at the boy, they would always coo in admiration. They looked at his golden-brown hair, his wide eyes filled with innocent intelligence, and instantly they fell in love. They called him adorable. Said he’d grow up to be a charmer. Told her how lucky she was to have a child with such looks and personality. She seemed to be the only one who didn’t see it. Who didn’t find him endearing, but instead cringed at the sight of those large, searching eyes. They seemed to watch her every move, understand her every thought and feeling. She hated it. He seemed to know everything about her, and she had so much she wanted to hide.

The child spoke. “Mommy,” he whispered to her, his eyes widening even more, causing her to tense, “Are you alright?”

Such an innocent question. So full of love, of care, of worry. But it only reminded her of just how well he could read her. Just how easily he could see her many sins, her numerous mistakes. She wanted to cry. He knew she didn’t love him. Knew she didn’t love his sister. But the worst of it all was the way he didn’t judge her. “I’m a monster!” she wanted to scream at him sometimes, when the pressure of being a mother got to her, “Hate me! Hate me!” But he wouldn’t hate her, and the pressure stayed. Even knowing how unwanted, how unloved he was, he never hated her. He only spoke to her with the soft, polite, innocent tone he was born with, gently reminding her to feed him, bathe him, put him to bed. He was so needy, so fragile, and so despite his intelligence he still needed her. That was before, though. Now the reminders were for his sister. He knew how to take care of himself, so she could focus all her energy on the newest whining creature in her arms. But she didn’t want to. She wasn’t ready. She’d never be ready.

“I’m fine, sweetie,” she replied. But her voice was strained. He most certainly could see through it. He knew, he always knew. And it killed her.

In some ways, not all, the boy was just like his father. So kind, so innocent. The two of them were endlessly needy, wanting so much for her. Things that she was too weak to provide. And both, she knew, loved her unconditionally, despite whether or not she loved them back. Like father, like son.

She remembered the first time she met his father. The very moment he had caught sight of her, he had become immediately infatuated. She was his muse, his drug, his addiction. Everything about her, it seemed, captivated him.

It was a windy afternoon, she recalled. The woman, only twenty years of age, lay stretched out in the sand, working on her golden tan with fierce determination. The bikini she wore was light and skimpy. A bright, attention-grabbing red. It was her favorite. Apparently, he liked it too.

The man had come up to her, walking barefoot in the burning sand, with a noticeable glint in his eye. He had smiled and introduced himself quite hopefully, but she was seldom listening. Most of her attention was focused on analyzing his body, for he was a quite attractive man. Large, brown eyes with a handsome face and a somewhat sculpted body. Only a few years older than she was herself. And better yet, he wore a shiny, expensive looking watch around his wrist. She liked that, she liked it a lot.

The man himself was slightly nervous and awkward. He handed her a few, cheesy pick-up lines and was constantly rubbing the back of his neck. Usually, the woman would have thrown a man like that to the side, but there was something about him that made her stay. His appearance, possibly, and maybe even his money. But no, there was something else, too. It was the way he looked at her, as if she were some kind of shining goddess. It was intoxicating, really, to be held at such value. She couldn’t get enough of it. His eyes shined with admiration, and it was because of that small, barely noticeable detail that she took out a pen and wrote her number on the palm of his hand. She never knew that this was what it would lead to. If she had, then maybe things would have turned out differently. But no, after that, she had him hooked.

The man never even attempted to hide his addiction, and the way he treated her like such a treasure just made her glow. The poems he wrote to her—claiming her to be his soul mate and presenting her compliment after compliment—they forced a smile on her face like nothing ever could. He admired her blond, curly hair. Praised her light blue eyes. Adored her shining, perfect teeth. Worshiped the very ground she walked on. It made her feel so…. wanted.

She had been so beautiful back then. Honestly, she still was now. But what had changed was the look of weariness, of despair, now plaguing her once hopeful, once shining eyes. She no longer loved him, and she knew it. In fact, she was fairly sure she had never loved him in the first place. It was all an act, a trick. Set up not to misguide him, but to misguide herself. She was smarter now, though. She knew the truth. And the truth was deadly.

When she had been so young and naïve, he had won her heart with gifts. Shining, golden bracelets delivered in miniature boxes. Bouquets of roses waiting patiently at her doorstep each day she came home. Little, yellow love notes hidden away in secret spots where he knew she would find them. It had all been too much to resist. He had truly loved her, and she had convinced herself that she felt the same way. And so before she could even stop and think about what she was doing, they were married and she was pregnant with their first child. A child she was not prepared for. That child now stood behind her, watching her in all its horrible innocence.

Even in pregnancy, she had begun to understand that motherhood was not all it had been cracked up to be. Other women had all told her how miraculous it felt to carry another life inside you, how wonderful she would feel the first time she held its tiny body in her arms. But all she felt was nausea, slowness, weight gain. None of the promised “glow” that every other woman claimed to have. Quite often, she found herself glancing down at her wedding ring. It was the largest, most-expensive ring her husband could find for her. In all definitions of the term, it truly was beautiful, and she had been far too stunned by it’s sparkle to even think about declining his proposal. Looking at it, she reminded herself over and over again that she loved this man, and that when the child came she would love him too. But when the child, her wonderful son, finally did arrive, nothing had changed. He was still just a burden. Still just a pain. And now, with her second child, history was repeating itself.

She gazed half-heartedly out the window, watching the waves crash again and again onto the sandy shore. The California beaches were always beautiful. She used to spend every other day out in the sun, wading in the waves with her friends. As soon as she reached the age of 18, she had packed up and moved here all the way from Ohio, with dreams of becoming an actress, or a model, or anything at all that would show off her beauty to the world. Alone and scared in the midst of Hollywood, these beaches had become her home. Her dreams, of course, had all changed when she had met her husband. He wasn’t filthy rich, but he earned enough to feed his family, guaranteeing that she would never have to work a day of her life. She liked that idea at first, until she realized that motherhood was a job in itself. A job she was not made for. In her mind, in her very soul, she was still a girl. And no mere girl is fit to raise a child.

“Mom?” she heard again. The boy. He was still here. “Do you want me to hold her? You can go take a break, if you want. Are you tired?”

She looked at him. He was so young himself. Yet, he was willing to help her out. Willing to act like an adult, instead of a child. More of an adult than she was, at least. Knowing that her baby was probably safer in his arms than hers, she gently handed it over.

“Thank you,” she said. He nodded in response. “Anytime,” he seemed to say, in his silence, “I’d do anything for you, mommy.”

She began to walk away, out to a chair in the backyard where she could sleep, when he spoke up.

“I love you, mom,” he said from behind her. His words were full of truth. Of meaning. He meant what he said; he loved her from the bottom of his heart.

“I love you too, honey,” she said back to him. But her words were empty, and he knew it.

rbt00 wrote a review...

Hey Great Efforts . Good Writing Style.
Now coming to the negative traits---
This Paragraph Describes The Baby Doesn't It?
'The creature slept. Breath after breath its tiny chest rose and fell in a sleepy, rheumatic pattern. Like an angel nuzzled by a cloud, a fabric wrapped around its frail body, highlighting its innocence and youth. What a treasure it was. What a prize, what a miracle. So small, so delicate, so young.'

I think these lines were good but while ending it you added a lot bout it. So reducing that may look good.

This line was a bit awkward-

"She looked down, capturing the image of a small boy."

And make your prologues short. Do not add what is not needed.

This story is great just a few changes and it be amazing!

-------
Do Review My Stuff.

MysteryMe says...

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! And your constructive criticism really is helpful. I'll be sure to review some of your work :)

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:24 pm
EloquentDragon wrote a review...

ED here (finally) to review. Sorry that this took so long in coming, but I knew what a monster this review would turn out to be, so I tried to put it off for as long as possible.

Anyway, grammar and structure nitpicks are contained in the spoilers below:

The creature slept. Breath after breath its tiny chest rose and fell in a sleepy, rheumatic pattern. Like an angel nuzzled by a cloud, a fabric wrapped around its frail body, highlighting its innocence and youth. What a treasure it was. What a prize, what a miracle. So small, so delicate, so young.

Hmm, referring to a baby as “it?” interesting, but I wouldn’t overuse it. I would only refer to it as, well, “it” in this first paragraph here, before you specify and give this baby a name, or at least a proper noun. The “its” could get a bit tiring after a while. What you could try and do, is only use “it” when you’ve sort of “internalized” the prose to seem like the mother is thinking these things about the baby, and not just the narrative description of it.

Now, let me do a verb count for you: slept, rose, fell, nuzzled, wrapped, highlighting, and was. That’s seven verbs there, as opposed to 15 descriptive particles, seven of which are adjectives. There is nothing wrong with this AT ALL. It’s great that you employ such description and visual imagery. However, the action does fall a little flat. You want your characters to be doing things, not have things happen to them. On a micro-level, this comes through a simple order of words. The way things are phrased can make a huge difference in making the story seem “active” as opposed to “passive.” It’s a subtle, psychological “trick,” but effective nonetheless.

For example, compare:
“Like an angel nuzzled by a cloud, a fabric wrapped around its frail body, highlighting its innocence and youth.”

To:
“It was wrapped in soft fabric, like an angel nuzzled by a cloud, which only seemed to highlight its innocence and youth.”

Only one verb more, but a restructuring of the sentence makes things seem more immediate and active to the reader.

Of course this doesn’t just apply to the first paragraph. This all might be my own personal opinion here, but right now it seems like the prose is “fluffy” or “airy,” by which I mean to say it doesn’t sound very solid. It doesn’t reach out and grab me like it should. Adding immediacy will change that.

All that being said, beware of “chocking” your voice. You mentioned that you are very serious about your writing, which can be a good thing. However, don’t drown out you natural voice in an attempt to sound “professional” or “knowledgeable” or something. Express yourself uniquely, don’t go for the conventional. In other words, it sounds right now like you are trying to hard. Like you’re forcing words into sentences that you would not normally choose, or trying to phrase things in a way that doesn’t sound natural to you for the sake of “correctness.” Seriously, don’t worry about it. As long as you are showing, not telling, and as long as you are writing in the immediate tense, you will sound “skilled” to your reader. So again, don’t try to hard. Let the words come to the page on their own accord.

NOTE: I know after saying all that I do kind of go overboard on word choice and such. After the first two drafts, clarification starts to become more important, so there you can try and revise things to sound more professional, because you want to sound polished by the final draft! But stick to your own, natural voice for the first couple of rounds.

With its eyelids fluttered shut, a sure sign that it was far from consciousness,

You had better hope that baby is conscious! I wouldn’t use that word here, just saying. It’s out of context and distracts from the flow of the prose.

mere picture of innocence. So pure, so kind, so free of sin. For a moment, the woman envied it. Envied the purity that radiated off of its sweet skin.

All this here is a bit repetitive of the first paragraph, and the sentence itself. “innocence-free of sin, skin, purity.” Sometimes, for the sake of redundancy, you don’t have to be so visual. If you’ve already described the innocence and pure skin, for example, you don’t have to bring those up again.

Its strange, scrunched up face. Its white, hair-less head. Its tiny, frail body with arms, ever gently, grasping for love that was not there.

A white head? But just earlier you said it was pink! Maybe you were referring to the thumb-print like, white-ridged sworls that a baby’s head has. (Except for hairy babies, like out family had.)

She looked down, capturing the image of a small boy.

Remember the active/passive comment from earlier? Same thing here. “Capturing the image of a boy” is passive, and a bit awkward. It’s okay to be concise, “She looked down and saw a small boy,” or the more familiar “she caught sight of a small boy.”

despite weather

FEAR the homophones!!! “Whether” not “weather.” Just beware of these guys, they can sneak up on you without warning.

She remembers

“She remembered.” Keep the tense consistent.

…the first time she met his father. …A child she was not prepared for.

A note on back-story:

While you’ve expertly handled this section here, here is my one question for you: Is it necessary? Or at least, is it necessary now? I saw that you mentioned that this is supposed to be a sort of prologue, and that this is the mother’s only “true” scene, so I get that you feel the need to tell us as much as possible about her as you can right now. However, prologues should not contain very much back-story, because they are, in fact, back-story. The story of how she met her husband takes up a great chunk of the chapter. And while I don’t think you should completely eliminate it, I think you could try to summarize it a bit. Cut back on the detail, glide over some of the events, etc.

But I can’t say for sure, since I don’t know what the rest of your book is like. So here’s a checklist you can run through for yourself:

1. Is your prologue really just a vehicle for massive information dump? Writing detailed backgrounds for characters, before you sit down to actually write the story, is a useful tactic to get all of that back-story stuff out of your system. You can then sit back and, honestly, see what details are salient and vital to the plot, and the stuff that isn’t.

2. Does your prologue really have very little/nothing to do with the main story? Do this. Cut off the prologue. Now ask, “Has this integrally affected the story?” If it hasn’t, it might not be entirely necessary.

3. Is your prologue too long?
Prologues need to be short and sweet and to the point. Only add what is needed for the story.

If the answer is no to all of these, and I have a suspicion that in your case it might be, or could very easily be, then your prologue is actually probably best left in. Just make sure that it is accomplishing something plot-wise other than just being a prologue for the sake of being a prologue.

nausea, slowness, weigh gain.

Weight gain. Weigh is like, for a station or something.

None of the promised “glow” that every other woman claimed to have. Quite often, she found herself glancing down at her wedding ring… far too stunned by it’s glow…

Glow used twice, even worse since one is in parantheses.

She used to spend every other day out in the sun, wading in the waves with her friends. As soon as she reached the age of 18…

…until she realized that motherhood was a job in itself.

Now, while I do think the previous section of back-story has merit to it, in that its details deal directly with how she met her husband and such, this whole section here seems to gag in the flow of the story. None of it is necessary for characterization, except the few things that were repeated from earlier. Do we need to know this stuff as readers? Does it have anything to tie it to the story now? You said that the mom doesn’t really show up after the prologue, and in that case you need to be even more brutal in regards to her back-story. We don’t need to know everything about her past, because we aren’t going to be spending a lot of time with her. Don’t try to build her up to much, the reader isn’t going to care.

In her mind, in her very soul, she was still a girl. And no mere girl is fit to raise a child.

Most people (adults) hate being called a child. So what makes her identify herself as a child? Why does she think this way? You have to give us the why, otherwise it feels like the author is breaking that invisible wall of distance between narratorial inferences and character thought.

“Mom?”

One little aside here, how old is he supposed to be? I know that you’re trying to convey the fact that he’s mature, wise for his years, but his voice shouldn’t “sound,” in the mind of the reader, like a teenager. Or an adult. It should still sound like a kid, even though he might be a mature kid. Maybe you could have him use “Momma,” or “mommy” as opposed to “mom.” He could be less direct, “Can I hold her?” or “Let me hold her” as opposed to “do you want me to hold her?” And this little section here:

“Thank you,” she said. He nodded in response. “Anytime,” he seemed to say, in his silence, “I’d do anything for you.”

Could be changed to better fit with his voice as well. This is all just to keep things consistent, and believable, to the reader.

She began to walk away, to lie down and sleep in a chair in the backyard, when he spoke up.

Try:
“She began to walk away, out to a chair in the backyard where she could sleep, when he spoke up.”

“to lie down and sleep” coupled with “began to walk away” is a bit odd.

But her words were empty, and he knew it.

You switch into his point of view, suddenly, at the very last line. You can do this, but I wouldn’t recommend it. If it is meant to show that he’s sort of looking back on it all, maybe you could space it out, add italics. Show that it is different from the rest of this. Or maybe you could keep it in her perspective “and she sensed that he knew it” or something like that.

OVERALL: What I liked about this is that you’ve tackled a mature, unusual situation and subject and handled things expertly. Your prose and diction aren’t broken or confusing, and you keep things flowing smoothly.

The only complaint I would have here is that there is very little action going on. I know this is a prologue, but still, you could have your characters be doing something other than just standing there and talking. They could walk around, handle the baby more, whatever.

But honestly, this was great. I was a little confused at first as to why this is a prologue and not a short, but I think you could go somewhere with a novel. It’s rather ambiguous as-is, I don’t know where your story is going, but I’m sure you’ve got a plan.

Hope that I could help.
~ED

MysteryMe says...

Thank you! This is honestly really helpful, and I'm so glad to have your outside opinion on it all. This prologue has just been really bothering me lately, and I didn't know why until you pointed out a lot of the mistakes. So thanks!

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 pm
GreenLight24 wrote a review...

Hey whats up. I though I'd do a review for u! :D So here it is!

First off, there were a lot of things about this story that I really liked. For instance, I love the adjectives that you used to describe both of the children like "innocent" and "pure." This was effective because it drew a harsh contrast between the way the children actually were (innocent, pure, etc.) and the way the mother saw them. (as a burden, unwanted, just some creature etc.) I also liked that you didn't name the characters. I feel like this kind of story needs to be a bit impersonal, because it's almost like it's teaching a lesson that everyone can benefit from learning: If you're not ready to have a child, DONT. Next, I loved the way that you described the relationship between the mother and her husband. Personally, I felt that their love was of a very hollow variety, without much real affection at all, but with a ton of glitz and glamour. Like, if someone wins another person's heart with shining gold bracelets, and all sorts of other nice gifts, then I'd say their heart is an easy one to win..just have cash. The sad thing about this story, is that it is largely a reality, and that things like this do happen to people every day. After reading the first three paragraphs, I had decided that the mother was no good lol. But as the story moved on and I began to think about it a little more, I realized that while she may have made some bad decisions about having her children, it was largely a matter of premature love without much real meaning. Overall, good job!!!

MysteryMe says...

Thank you! I really loved this review, and I'm so glad that you liked my story. I tried to incorporate a message inside my work, and you understood it perfectly. So, thanks!

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:50 pm
Liaya says...

Well, I was hooked within the first few sentences...a mother referring to her child as a "creature" definitely has an immediate affect. Your style is for the most part very fluent and magnetic, pulling you into the contents of your story. When I was through reading, I wanted to know more! Is this mother who doesn't love her children the main character of your entire story? Is it one of her children, or her husband? Does she learn to love them or is she someone entirely incapable of true affection?

The main problem I noticed was your story was how slow it was. There was too much time spent describing details to the point they were repetitive...trust me, I know how fun and easy it is to be carried away with description, but in all honesty action is much more telling. Feel free to drag out the first few moments and let the audience take in the mother's predicament, but then speed up the story; more words spoken, more movement, less meaningly descriptions.

Really, all that said, I want you to know it was still immensely enjoyable and I think you're a wonderful writer! And I have the same problems, really I do. Keep up the good work!

MysteryMe says...

Thank you for your feedback! I'm really glad you liked it! This chapter is actually supposed to be the prologue for a novel that I'm writing, which is why its packed with so much backstory and so little action. I can see now, though, that I do get a bit repetitive with the way I describe it all. I was trying to stress the mother's situation, but now that I look back I may have stressed it a little too much. I guess I mostly did that because i was planning on making it the only chapter based on the mother (the actual novel follows her son, after her mother abandons him, his sister, and his father). But yeah, it does get very slow, so thank you for pointing that out for me!

Liaya says...

It's still beautifully written, though. Don't change it too much!

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:52 am
Vivian wrote a review...

Deep breathe...

Hey MysteryMe I like your story. The first thought that came into my mind when I read the title was of a mother that didn't love her child so I guess you got that pegged. I like your descriptions of the characters especially the two children. Though I had reminded something worse it reminded me of a story I thought up not to long ago just completely different, sort of.

I like the boy, he's really smart and sweet like a dream child. But where is his father in all this? Does he know he's not loved or of his wife's despair?

I want to know, would you reconsider not publishing the rest? PLEASE, it's such a good story.

MysteryMe says...

I just posted a reply, but it didn't show up on my screen so i'm going to try it again.

Thanks a bunch, Vivian! I'm so glad you liked it! Actually, some of the questions you asked about the father are answered in the next chapter. I wasn't going to at first, but I think I may upload some of my other chapters if you really want. I won't post my entire book (since I'm hoping on publishing it one day), but I'm sure a few more chapters won't hurt!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Wow. There's a lot that I think could use improvement here, but this is a striking story nonetheless, I think just because motherhood is always offered up on this shining pedestal and your MC, instead, is daunted by it and doesn't understand why people think it's so wonderful. Mainly because she wasn't ready for it and perhaps isn't the mothering type.

So, things that were well-done:

1) I think we get a really good feel for the mother and why she feels so overwhelmed, even though she herself doesn't quite understand it. (She keeps repeating "What's wrong with me? Why don't I feel the way everyone says you're supposed to?") That being said, I don't particularly like her, but I can pity her, at least, and it's not always important that readers like characters as long as they have some sort of strong feeling toward them.

2) The characterization of the son. He's a normal child who loves his mother and wants his mother to love him--he's mature beyond his years, probably as a product of doing things to help out and try to win his mom's approval--but the mother sees him as overly clingy, needy, innocent, and loving because of her own guilt and the stilted way in which she sees motherhood and children. I was so sad at the end of this story, just because the poor boy is like the most helpful oldest child ever and his mom says what she's supposed to but you (and he) know she doesn't mean it.

3) This is a nice frame narrative, where the main story (the mother's background of meeting her husband and becoming a mom and being overwhelmed by that) is framed by a single scene (the son offering his mom help with the new baby).

Here are some things I would suggest improving:

1) Sometimes your diction is a little strange. I mean, I get that the mother doesn't feel particularly attached to her children, but I don't think she hates them enough to refer to the boy as "it" when he speaks for the first time, for instance: "“Mommy,” it whispered to her"--this is particularly weird because later he is referred to as "he," not "it." Similarly, it's weird that the baby keeps being referred to as "the creature." The first time is okay, but after that I'd just go with "infant" or "baby" or whatever.

2) In line with your diction, I think you could cut back on the adjectives and streamline this a bit. You have a lot of sentences like this one: "Like an angel nuzzled by a cloud, a soft, pink fabric was wrapped around its frail body, highlighting its gentle innocence and unfathomable need."

How many adjectives are in that sentence? Let's count: "soft," "pink," "frail," "gentle," unfathomable." That's five adjectives in one sentence, and virtually all of them are unnecessary. For example, we don't need to be told the fabric was "soft," because you already described it as cloudlike in your simile at the start of the sentence. (Plus if it's a baby blanket we'll assume it's soft because you wouldn't exactly use a burlap sack on a baby, right?) We know the baby is a newborn BABY, so it goes without saying that it's "frail." "Gentle" is unneeded to describe "innocence," because what other kind of innocence is there? ("Highlighting its violent innocence." Can you imagine?) And "unfathomable" is unnecessary and also (I would say) untrue, as most people know newborn babies can't so much as sit up, let alone feed themselves, keep themselves warm, etc. I think most of us can fathom how much need babies have.

What I would suggest to remedy this is an exercise I found in an excellent book called "The First Five Pages" (Noah Lukeman). Rewrite the story without any adjectives at all. If parts of the story seem weak, trying changing your verbs so that they're stronger and can stand alone. For example (you don't use this word in your story, but it's a good example), you would replace "ran quickly" with "sprinted" or "said angrily" with "snapped."

Now, once this is done, you can go back in, see if there's anywhere that you still really feel needs an adjective, and add it back in. You don't have to keep the exercise version of the story, but it's just something to try to break away from overdoing the adjectives.

3) Specific details. Just in the backstory, I'd like to see a few things really specific to the relationship between the mother and the father. You mention, in passing, the first time they meet and tell us the father had an immediate infatuation with the mother. But that could happen to anyone. Give us details! Where were they? What was she wearing? What did he say to her? Has she kept any of the bracelets he gave her? Details like this will bring the story to life and add to the characterization.

I'm actually surprised that you're so young (I mean, I know this is YOUNG Writers Society, but still), because I think this is an issue that people in high school and below don't really give much thought to because marriage and parenting seem so far away at that point. And yet you had really good insights into why this mother feels the way she does. And at the end of the story we get the sense that things are not magically going to be okay--the mother has not learned a lesson; she is no better of a mother than she was at the beginning--and although she'll say the proper things, her children will probably have difficulties in later relationships because their mother didn't love them the way she "should have."

Let me know when and if you edit this, because I'd love to see the changes you implement.

Blue

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:15 pm
vjay wrote a review...

omg!i love your work..jeez!its great,mind blowing..i think i can see the new "danielle steele"...my my my,you captivated me,i like the concept,the fact that the mother got married early because she thought she loved her husband and then kids who love her but then she hasn't shown them an iota of love...and they seem to understand her,she feels like she is trapped,she wants to be free...reminds me of danielle steele's "daddy"...its just like yours,wow!... nice work...am off to read others...kudos,you know your onions

MysteryMe says...

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you like it :D

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:42 pm
rishabh wrote a review...

hi!

your work is mind blowing. good. i like your writing style. you plot everything in equal quantity. the work without proportion is like fish without water. you made a connection between mother and child which is very touchy. you have the potential to grab the attention and interest of readers. great! so your starting went goood in this piece and till the end you maintained your constant.....speed and accuracy. i also liked your way of putting vocab section in the stuff... i enjoyed a lot. the message latent inside this work piece is awesome.........this is a complete pack of masti and fun.

overall great work! people will really enjoy your work here.
keep writing! good luck!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:09 pm
TanyaStender says...

This is really good! :)

vjay says...

exactly

Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero