z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone Language Mature Content

Catching Feelings

by officiallyariotxoxo


*Cassidy*

"Cass! Time for school!" I heard my mom call from downstairs. I rolled my eyes, and perfected my eyeliner.

Hi, I'm Cassidy Destiny, and I'm 16. I'm in a band, that pretty much has no name. We don't really worry about the name really... But we're kind of the punk-rock kind of genre. My band members are mad, because they think I'm always the center of attention, and they get ignored. I try to share the spotlight, but everything is all about me.

My mom always judges me about the way I look. I have fire-orange hair, with blonde streaks. It's pretty punk, if you know what I mean. I wear a bunch of make up all the time, even when I'm in the house, but I'm 16, I'm not a kid anymore, and my mom can't tell me what to do.

My mom had to call me probably like 8 times before she had to come upstairs and drag me out the door. "Cassidy Destiny, let's go!" She said, sternly. I rolled my eyes. "Hey! I told you not to do that anymore." She scolded. I grabbed my bag, and put on my shoes. "Make sure to do your homework when you get back home from school. I'm going to be at a doctor's appointment, and I expect that homework to be correct and finished." She said. I nodded, pretending to listen. Pretty much, the only thing I hear coming out of my mom's mouth is 'blah blah blah blah' that's all she says to me.

Chapter 2

(A/N I don't know how to add a chapter, and something tells me, you cant... So if anyone knows how to add another chapter, please tell me!)

On the way to school, my mother kept judging me about my hair, my make-up, and my everything. I'm just excited to get out of the car, and meet up with my band mates.

We got to school, and my mom was still talking. I just got out of the car, closed the door, and chuckled on how I just slammed the car door in her face. I looked around and saw my band mates. Carter, Lucas, Hunter, and Taylor all seated on a bench. I smiled, and walked over.

"Hey guys." I said. "Hi." They all said, in unison. "Where were you? You were supposed to be here half an hour ago, so we could practice in the gym." Lucas complained. "My mom was being really annoying." I simply said. "You always blame everything on your mom." Carter sighed. "Because she thinks she can boss me around! That's all she does! She nags me a lot, and I just want to move out and forget about her." I rolled my eyes. "Let's go... And Cass, make sure you come to my house... On time." Hunter said.

Why are they so angry? Just because I was late? Or just because I blame things on my mom?

It's my mom, I think I can talk about her anytime I want. Besides, she does nag me for everything.

School ended, and I was tired, but then I remembered that I had to go to Hunter's to practice. I didn't want to go though...

I took out my cellphone, and dialed his number.

"Hello?" I heard his voice say.

"Hey, do you mind if I skip today's practice?" I asked, biting my lip, awaiting for his answer.

He sighed. "Seriously, Cassidy? You already skipped one, and it was this morning!" He said, angrily.

"I know! But I'm really tired, and I just want to go home and take a nap." I explained.

"Do whatever you want, Cass. The world revolves around you, right?" He said, and hung up on me.

What is wrong with them? I don't understand why they are so angry. Whatever I did, I didn't mean it...

(A/N I know this chapter is kind of rushed.)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:21 pm
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Hi There officially! I'm here as part of the Green Lanterns Team to review your first chapter for this fine review day!

I will review as I read so I can get all my ideas out as I go! Hopefully it will make perfect sense to you...

“I try to share the spotlight, but everything is all about me.” - If we're supposed to like this character then she's not doing a great job so far! Even though, I do like her name. It's cool.

I think the first chapter could have been much longer! You could have added loads more description showing us what Cassidy looked like, what her mother looked like and what her bedroom and house is like! I want to feel like I'm really there – like a little fly on the wall.

I think your dialogue is great! It's a really hard thing to do to make it seem natural. Sometimes writers can make speech sound too much like writing...if that makes sense.

Good luck! I look forward to reading some more of your work soon!

Olive <3




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 3149
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 pm
SlushySlapped wrote a review...



Hey, there!

SlushySlapped here to review your story!

I'm just going to jump right into critiquing.

"Cass! Time for school!" I heard my mom call from downstairs. I rolled my eyes, and perfected my eyeliner.

Hi, I'm Cassidy Destiny, and I'm 16. I'm in a band, that pretty much has no name. We don't really worry about the name really... But we're kind of the punk-rock kind of genre. My band members are mad, because they think I'm always the center of attention, and they get ignored. I try to share the spotlight, but everything is all about me.


First thing I need to say. I agree with Sushi, try not to start with hi. It really does give it a movie-esque and stereotypical vibe. The second thing, I think that this could be better without her direct introduction. And that's where I agree with InfiniteSnowfall. It's too much information being thrown in our faces. Subtly is key, my dear. Slip those details in as you move forward with the story! And stick to past tense!

Also, a lot of sentences are way too long. Break them up. It will make the story flow much better!

Overall, this is a good start! I really like her. She reminds me of me when I was fifteen! I also agree with Sushi in that last paragraph of her review. I would have said something along those lines as well. Can't wait to read more!

Keep Writing!

:)




User avatar
229 Reviews


Points: 11589
Reviews: 229

Donate
Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:57 am
SushiSashimi333 wrote a review...



Hey, saw your wall post and thought I would check this bit out. I hope this helps!
Telling: Okay, so when you talk to the readers you start off with "hi". I don't really mind that you have the character talk to us, just try not to start off with hi. That makes it a little too movie like and stereotypical. Also, just a warning, many reviewers will tell you to show and not tell.
Sentences: A lot of your sentences seem to be really long. To add a tiny bit more attitude to your character you could sub some of your commas for periods. Also feel free to add more description. I realize that's a little hard your story being first person, but really we examine a lot more things than you might think.
Dialogue: Your dialogue is pretty good and realistic too. It helps convey all the different attitudes of the different characters. I don't really think that there's anything there you need to fix, so good job on that.
About adding chapters, you have to gain more points which you do by reviewing. Currently the cost to post new works in 300 points, and the most amount you can get on a normal review is 100, on some you can get 150. Anymore questions feel free to ask.

my mother kept judging me about my hair
This line is too "telly". You could say that she kept glancing over at you and it was obvious she didn't like the way you were.
"Hey guys." I said. "Hi."
Since there are new people talking this should be a completely different paragraph.
Why are they so angry? Just because I was late? Or just because I blame things on my mom?
Since this is a thought of the main character it should be in italics.
He said, angrily
I think that this is just to, well, straight forward. Maybe to add a little more flow and color you could out, "his voice was strained. This wasn't going to end well" or something like that.
Your last line is a little lackluster, but I'm sure you'll be able to fix that up easy peasy.
Overall your plot is easy to see what will happen, but your characters are well made and the dialogue is well written. Just throw in some unexpected twists and work a bit on flow of the story, and this will be perfect! Sorry that I'm really strict, but this is off to a good start. I think these could just be one chapter to make it easy on yourself.
Sushi :D



Random avatar


Thank you :)



User avatar


Points: 266
Reviews: 4

Donate
Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:02 pm
emim219 wrote a review...



Hello! I really like the story line so far, it's realistic. The main character sounds oblivious to her actions, that are causing the others in her life stress. Maybe you could have one of the characters give her a little, but very important hint? But other than that I love the story line and I hope that you add to it. And if you could message me when you do that would be awesome!




User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 9651
Reviews: 92

Donate
Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:20 am
View Likes
InfiniteSnowfall wrote a review...



Hey, officiallyariotxoxo!

First things first, I really like your title! It's really simple and to the point. Also, I think the fact that Cassidy is in a band that has no name is interesting. Since she is the center of attention, I assume they do perform? That would be kind of funny, like if someone asks what the band name is. No? Just me? Okay, haha. Before I blabber any longer, let's get to the review!


So, the very first thing on the page is "*Cassidy*". Does that mean you are going to be switching between different perspectives? Because if you're not going to, there isn't really a need for that there. Just a thought. :)


Hi, I'm Cassidy Destiny, and I'm 16. I'm in a band, that pretty much has no name. We don't really worry about the name really... But we're kind of the punk-rock kind of genre. My band members are mad, because they think I'm always the center of attention, and they get ignored. I try to share the spotlight, but everything is all about me.


~ This entire paragraph isn't necessary, at all. Is this your first chapter, prologue, or what? Anyway, typically, the main characters are never directly introduced. Protagonists are usually described as the story progresses. The reader gets bits and pieces of information from the description.

That way, the readers don't get a pile of information shoved in their face.The way you introduced her here, that's telling the story. Instead, you want to show us what's happening in her life. I'm not that great at explaining how to 'show', but you can easily google search some tips! I hope what I'm saying makes sense. Hopefully.

~ Also, in this paragraph you tell us her age. Instead of typing '16', write out the word. Sixteen.

~ Lastly, there are a couple of sentences in that paragraph that sound a bit weird. I don't know, maybe it's just me.
These are the ones that threw me off:

But we're kind of the punk-rock kind of genre.

~ I think it sounds kinda weird because the 'of' that you put in there twice.

My band members are mad, because they think I'm always the center of attention, and they get ignored.

~ 'and they get ignored' sounds weird. Consider rewording it, maybe.

I think that's all... Next!

I wear a bunch of make up all the time, even when I'm in the house, but I'm 16, I'm not a kid anymore, and my mom can't tell me what to do.

~ I feel like this is a run-on sentence. I think you should maybe shorten it into two sentences. Probably end the sentence at 'house', then reword the rest a bit.

~ Again, sixteen. Not 16.


My mom had to call me probably like 8 times before she had to come upstairs and drag me out the door. "Cassidy Destiny, let's go!" She said, sternly. I rolled my eyes. "Hey! I told you not to do that anymore." She scolded. I grabbed my bag, and put on my shoes. "Make sure to do your homework when you get back home from school. I'm going to be at a doctor's appointment, and I expect that homework to be correct and finished." She said. I nodded, pretending to listen. Pretty much, the only thing I hear coming out of my mom's mouth is 'blah blah blah blah' that's all she says to me.


~ Eight

~ This entire paragraph needs to be formatted differently. This is because you have a bunch of dialogue and such crammed into one paragraph, and that makes it hard to read.
Here's how it could look:

My mom had called me probably eight times before she had to come upstairs and drag me out the door.

"Cassidy Destiny, let's go!" She said sternly. I rolled my eyes.'

"Hey! I told you not to do that anymore." She scolded.

As I grabbed my bag, and put on my shoes, she said, "Make sure to do your homework when you get back home from school. I'm going to be at a doctor's appointment, and I expect that homework to be correct and finished."

I nodded, pretending to listen. Pretty much, the only thing I hear coming out of my mom's mouth is 'blah blah blah blah'. That's what she sounds like to me.


I changed a few of the words around to help a little. Of course, you don't have to format your writing like this. Just an example. There's tons of other ways you could write out your story.

Well, I think that about sums the review up! I'm excited to see where this story goes! I really hope I helped you, even the slightest bit. It took a bit of time to type this all out. I hope my effort wasn't a waste.

I really do, honestly like the idea of this story. I have a friend who is in a band, and I think teenage bands are super cool. I know bands take up a lot of time and effort, so yeah. Rambling again... So, good luck and keep writing!

With love,
InfiniteSnowfall



Random avatar


Thank you so much! I will be sure to use your advice in the next chapter! Thank you for reading!





No problem! Sorry it was so long! I didn't notice how much I typed. x3



User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:38 am
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hey, riot! Firstly, welcome to YWS :D I'll be reviewing your story today.

I think the title of this story is really cool, and the kind of thing that draws people in. I'll start this review by talking about the positives of your piece and I think it's mainly to do with the theme. Although something I guess I've seen before, I like your character as this punk-rock chick who's in a band and seems to be generally bad-ass. Also, she's in a band which is really cool! This might be because I'm in a band too and I just love anything band-related, but I think you've got some really interesting ideas here.

Okay, so this piece is actually really short and not much happens. There's a bit of a character introduction which is good, but nothing major happens. I'm not saying something MASSIVE needs to happen, but I think it should be left with a hook that keeps the reader wanting to read more and right now I don't think it's all there. I'm not sure if you've got your whole plot worked out yet but maybe you could reveal a bit more of the plot here and give more for the readers to grasp onto rather than a small feud between the girl and her mother. Also, I'm not quite fond of the way you've introduced the character here. I think she's got some cool traits to her, but it could be done in a more interesting sort of way. Like for example, rather than just stating that she's in a band, why don't you set the first chapter at a band practise? Then you could go more into detail about the band so that we find out that she's in a band and what they're like and all that. I think this is better than just saying it because it keeps your work more varied and the reader interested.

Overall, this was an interesting piece and I'd love to see more if you post any up. Just remember that when you're writing, you're trying to communicate stuff with a reader and they're eager to know all about details- as I'm sure you are when you're reading books. I hope this review helped, feel free to PM me with any questions that you have or if you'd like another review of anything.

Keep writing!
~Arc x



Random avatar


Thank you! SO MUCH! Lol



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 362
Reviews: 16

Donate
Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:38 am
221B wrote a review...



This is a good start for a novel!

A few things I noticed while reading it, though, are that it is very choppy and it seems like you are going down a check list when your character is describing herself.

The choppiness of your sentences is partially due to the repetition of certain words - "We don't really worry about the name really" - but also because of the unneeded commas in your sentences. For example "I have fire-orange hair, with blonde streaks" doesn't need a comma in it. It could also be combined with the sentence after it "It's pretty punk..." to flow more smoothly. If you did combine them, the comma would go between "streaks" and "It's". Simple things like that would help the overall story to flow more smoothly.

When your character is describing herself she goes from one thing to the next like she's reading off a list of things she needs to describe. She starts off directly with her name and age, which is good to let the reader know the type of character they are dealing with, then after she describes her band she goes straight to her appearance. It makes sense, but it should be done creatively so it doesn't come off like a check list. Instead of just going "My hair is..." "I wear ____ for make-up..." Maybe try starting off with her style "My mom always judges me for my punk style. When she isn't nagging me about my orange hair, she's telling me I wear to much make-up." That is one example of how it could be said in character, but more smoothly.

I hope this helps you out! I can't wait to read more of this! (:



Random avatar


Thank you! :)




To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller