z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

"It's Fine"

by capriciouscoralyn


"it's fine."

i wanted to believe your lies. i wanted to know how long

you'll keep it up until you realize that you are waiting for nothing.

and that's good because i appreciate that you don't force yourself

in. the door is not locked. i am simply pushing from the inside,

both wanting to get out and to put you out because i like toying

with you.

still, i wait for the moment you give up. once you try to

turn the knob, i shall stop you. i will never speak of you again. i will

never speak to you again because i trust you enough to only look

through the keyhole. you cannot change the better of me

simply because i can never even do so myself. despite this, i am

in love

with the metal and the wood that keeps us apart. although i

cannot see you struggling, i try to feel my way into your hands

and your tears. i have put up the door to keep us apart, but i

liked the idea of you waiting outside the door patiently for me but

truth as it may hurt, you are in love with the idea of us and not

with me.

it occurs to me that i don't know you as well. we are strangers

waiting for one another. we talk. our voices serving as our hands

to touch and our hearts to express. we can talk as if we are

in hiding from one another, and i like that. the waves drown me.

with each moment, i hesitate on letting you in. the water is slowly

drifting there

outside the door. i can handle this. i know i'll probably never

let you in. and for some time, i'll decide to lock the door and forget

the existence of it as i busy myself with the other doors that i put up.

one day, you're going to leave and give up and i enjoy that:

the fact that i understand that you are, for the first time, thinking.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 7867
Reviews: 159

Donate
Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:54 pm
GreenLight24 wrote a review...



Wooh. Nice job. Review l for you. And just as as disclaimer I didn't bother to read the previous reviews and comments so my bad if I repeat anything that's already been said.

First, the positives.

I really liked the way that this poem was written. Your diction and word choice are both outstanding here and I like the idea of a single door between two potential lovers. It's a very interesting exploration of the human condition in a way. A closer look at this poem compels the reader to l dive deeper into exactly what is being said. If you skin through this, you still get the general point of it. However, intensely reading you find yourself wondering the very things the narrator does. Does the person behind the door even love then? Do they just like the idea of a relationship? Or does the narrator even want to open the door to find out? There's a lot going on in here, but ou can still pick up the jist of it if you skim. That's just something I always look for in poetry is if u can still understand it, but that you need to read harder and look a little closer in order to really come away with a poetic experience. Good job.

Now, the negatives. (There's only one :P)


The only real error I can think of was with your formatting. I noticed that some of your lines were long enough that they were force to indent by the narrow margin of this yws page. (Dinkelbergggg) this happens to me pretty much every time I write a poem with slightly longer lines, so I definitely get how that's out I your control. In some spots, it even adds I the poems effect, but in others I think it throws off the rhythms you might have wants to produce. I realize this isn't a lyrical poem, but I believe some sort of a rhythms is nice when employed into free verse. Other than that , great job. I see why this poem is so popular on here!

-GL24




User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 893
Reviews: 69

Donate
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:12 pm
WillowCutz says...



Oh my god.... *no words, just tearing up* Okay I'm crying because I'm sick, but this poem was enough to make me forget my annoying intro.

SO! I introduce myself. *holds out hand* Willow C., That's my name and don't wear it out!

I adored this poem, I didn't understand why the last 2 words of eachg stanza were moved over, but I loved it. I liked how it was a romance poem, but it was not about how you FEEL and how good he LOOKS or why you can't tell him how you FEEL. It was a person (girl I'm guessing) who has a guy who likes her and she just doesn't want a boyfriend. She'd prefer to tease him. AND I ADORED IT!!!!!

I liked the door metaphor, you can picture it in your mind, but it doesn't distract from the idea you are trying to show. And I really liked these 3 lines...
"...simply because i can never even do so myself. despite this, i am

in love

with the metal and the wood that keeps us apart. although i..."

...Cause you think she's about to get sappy and then she turns on a dime.

This was a beautiful poem, keep it up sweetheart!
-Willow C.




User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 893
Reviews: 69

Donate
Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 pm
WillowCutz wrote a review...



Oh my god.... *no words, just tearing up* Okay I'm crying because I'm sick, but this poem was enough to make me forget my annoying intro.

SO! I introduce myself. *holds out hand* Willow C., That's my name and don't wear it out!

I adored this poem, I didn't understand why the last 2 words of eachg stanza were moved over, but I loved it. I liked how it was a romance poem, but it was not about how you FEEL and how good he LOOKS or why you can't tell him how you FEEL. It was a person (girl I'm guessing) who has a guy who likes her and she just doesn't want a boyfriend. She'd prefer to tease him. AND I ADORED IT!!!!!

I liked the door metaphor, you can picture it in your mind, but it doesn't distract from the idea you are trying to show. And I really liked these 3 lines...
"...simply because i can never even do so myself. despite this, i am

in love

with the metal and the wood that keeps us apart. although i..."

...Cause you think she's about to get sappy and then she turns on a dime.

This was a beautiful poem, keep it up sweetheart!
-Willow C.




User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 32

Donate
Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:42 pm
Swiftfurthewarrior wrote a review...



Hey capricious! I just happened along this poem and decided to give my opinion and advice.

First of all, no spelling errors, but you could do with some capitalization.


I liked how you created a rift between the two characters and how one feels about letting another back in.

Overall, this poem was really good. Keep up the good work!


~Swiftfurthewarrior




User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 2117
Reviews: 159

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:02 pm
Skydreamer wrote a review...



Okay as I was reading this the one thought that came through my head was, this is so romantic, and so true, and such a struggle and so sad. And those where the one thought that went though my mind. XP

So, I'll go stanza to stanza, btw this is my tenth review!! XD So glad it's for you!

First Stanza

I really liked the first line I thought that it was quite gripping and I thought it was quite impressing. I did feel though a sort of rift between me and the character because she (I'm just gonna call her a girl) well, she seemed kind of too harsh. I don't know if that was what you intended but that's what I got from that. That said, I understand her a bit, I know what it feels like to try to keep people out. Overall though how you wrote it was spectacular, I thought you did fabulous on it. I really liked the simplicity of it, yet the deep meaning.

Second Stanza

First off, I also really loved this stanza, I thought that it was great and how you decribed the character actually drew me away from her even more a bit, but I still did understand her, and just the writing was so great! Here though this quote could be changed a bit:

you cannot change the better of me

simply because i can never even do so myself.


I think that based one what I know of the character you meant to say,

"you cannot get the better of me"

or

"you cannot try to change me"

or

"you cannot try to make me better"

Something like that kind of caters to who she is. Because your character is hiding herself, because she's afraid, so I just thought that portrayed that thought better, just a suggestion.

Third Stanza

This stanza really broke the veil for me, and helped me to really understand your character and I really liked it. I thought this stanza was absolutely beautiful. How she was feeling and thinking that he isn't ready, to really love her, yet he just wanted to be with her.

Fourth Stanza

we are strangers

waiting for one another.
-- This is just so beautiful. I don't know why but when I read this, it really stuck out to me for some reason. I just really love it, great job with this. It's so well written! I really liked this stanza as well. It kind of showed her love for him more in this one and I really liked it.

Fifth Stanza

This stanza was a bit more strange for me, and honestly I found it a very sad ending, and I didn't really enjoy it quite as much as the rest. I think the ending could be tweaked a little bit. Especially just that last sentence, I really felt it could use some editing, just maybe a bit. And mainly because I felt it was slightly harsh, but despite that, maybe I'm just sad, it's not a happy ending, haha. Because despite that I still love it. I love it because I understand it. And because the writing is good. But I do feel like some of it's meaning is more confusing and dark than you possibly intended, so just watch out on that, because meaning is really important. That said, most of it had the best meaning ever, and I often find myself, in a similar situation in real life. XP But yeah, very well written.

Overall

I loved this! I thought you did a fantastic job writing it, so very good job on it! Also though I liked what you did on the side, with the visual poetry. I thought it worked out really well. And I also liked how you did that because it helped me to understand the poem and the character a bit better. A nice little summary. XP So I thought this was great! I'm so glad I got to read it!

--Keep dreaming and keep writing!




User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:40 am
View Likes
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hi coralyn! Well if it isn't my buddy, I must review this :D

Okay so I'm not so good at poetry review but I shall try my best to give my thoughts on this and offer some hopefully helpful suggestions. I'll start with the things I enjoyed about this poem. I like the structure of it and I like how on each stanza one line was way to the left (I'm assuming this was intentional?) Either way, it was really cool and it's interesting when poets change around the shape of a poem- not really something you can do with stories.

My first critiques is the capital letter. I know I've mentioned this to you before for other things. Obviously with poems, that same rules don't apply with capital letters as strictly as prose, however I still want to see I'd capitalised. Also, not necessarily capitalise the first letter on the first word of every line, but rather when the sentence end, ie, you've put a full stop.

Secondly, I thought there were quite a lot of sentences in this that started with 'I', and in any case, the repetition can get quite boring. It almost drags away the poetic elements of this to make it sound more like a gigantic speech or something. It's important to vary the way your sentences look (unless it was an intentional thing with poetry), however this doesn't look intentional.

I thought the message of this was really and as it left me thinking. However, I personally think that this whole piece would work better as some sort of dramatic monologue- that way you could keep all the 'I this' and 'I that' and I think it would actually be really effective as this. It's obviously totally up to you, and if you don't feel this would work that well then I would suggest perhaps adding some more imagery- you've got some already but maybe a few metaphors to do with love and losing love.

Overall, this was a really good piece and I enjoyed the message/meaning behind it. Just remember to add your capital letters, vary sentences, and perhaps next time add a bit more imagery. Well I hope this review helped, PM me with any questions you have or if you'd like another review.

Just keep writing!
-Arc x




User avatar
1275 Reviews


Points: 36224
Reviews: 1275

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:31 am
View Likes
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there coralyn and welcome to YWS! Nite here to offer up a review for The Inc(red)ibles this fine Review Day.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. The formatting worked well for this, and I really enjoyed the extended metaphor of the door. I thought it brought some life and imagery to themes that have been touched many times.

However, there are a couple of lines I found confusing.

both wanting to get out and to put you out because i like toying


Wait, so...isn't the other person already out? Then how can the speaker put him out? Perhaps "keep you out" instead? I do like the conflicting desires presented here.

never speak to you again because i trust you enough to only look

through the keyhole. you cannot change the better of me

simply because i can never even do so myself.


Is the speaker saying that she trusts that "you" will only look and not talk or try to barge in? I think it's worded oddly, so at first I thought she trusted herself to only look, so it'd be good to clarify. I also fail to understand why one would want to change the better parts of themselves.

Towards the end, I didn't quite get the sudden introduction of water. Water and doors don't seem very connected to me. I might consider introducing it earlier so it fits better.

Overall, lovely piece and I really liked the ending. Clear up some confusing parts and it'd be even better. Great job and I look forward to reading more. Keep writing! :)




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 82
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:17 am
View Likes
Killyouwithwords wrote a review...



Very good job I loved it! It was smooth, and not too short or too long :) But to be honest with you, I almost read it twice before I noticed the words on the side. They broke up the flow, and when I didn't notice them at first, it made the poem make little sense to me (at least the last line in every stanza anyway). Overall the format left alot to be desired. Not capitalizing the words is a stylistic choice, I know, but you should at least capitalize your I' s. Other than thought, there were very little errors. A little rough around the edges but great job, keep on writing!






Ahh. I'll take note of the I's. Thank you so much. It was a risk to make the structure but I ended up doing it for the heck of it. I was trying to find out if other writers would be against it or not because it ruins the content of the poem. Anywho, thank you very much for the review!




There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
— William Shakespeare