Summerfest

by emilyleigh

I peered over my right shoulder, smirking at Mikey passed out in his pac man costume. Ashley looked up at me and for about the sixth time in the last 20 minute interval and asked me, “When are we going to leave?”

“Just wait a bit, okay?”

She broke eye contact and looked off into the distance, only creating a greater tension between us. She wasn’t very fond of the outdoors, especially when it was wet grass, thick air, and the scent of pot floating around her. She just didn’t understand, she didn’t understand the purpose. Why we were here. We didn’t come to Summerfest for just the music, we came for much more than that.

“Can we at least find me some shoes?”

“You go ahead, but I’m not losing my spot.”

She sighed and looked down at her bare feet.

*******

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck! I bit my lip and squirmed quietly in my tiny 9” by 9” spot. I glanced up and Kyle and he didn’t notice. I kept my gaze on him, hoping he would turn down and see. Why? Why am I even here? A stupid fucking music fest---no, this isn’t even a music festival, it’s a shit hole!

I felt an ant crawl over my foot and I crushed it with my toe.

When are you going to look at me, Kyle?

The ant was still alive, twitching two of it’s legs.

Look at me.

It was one of those miraculous, psychic moments in which your thoughts actually went through and played out. He looked down at me, “What?”

“When are we going to leave?”

He sighed, “Just wait a bit, okay?”

Fuck. I couldn’t look at him. I wanted to say something, but this was the sixth time I’ve asked. He knows how uncomfortable I am. He knows I can’t leave by myself without risking my life, hitching rides to nearest bus station in downtown Charlotte.

The ant was still twitching over my god damn foot, I hate bugs. And my bare feet are openly exposed to a kingdom of ants, grasshoppers, and all the other disgusting creatures of nature.

“Can we at least find me some shoes?” I was being a bit hopeful there.

You asshole.

********

There wasn’t even any point in trying to cheer up Ashley at this point, nothing would make her smile except for my announcement of our departure. I’d tried poking fun at our situation—a group of strangers all bunched together under a sheet of plywood, trying to protect ourselves from spatters of rain sent our way. Nothing worked, and I could see the disgust in her face when she looked down to see dirt smashed up in between her toes.

If only I could told her the meaning of all this, why we were really waiting. I just figured it would be obvious to her, considering the way our relationship has been heading the past few months.

I looked down at her and smiled, “Hey, the sky looks brighter now!” I stepped out from under the plywood, grabbing her hand and pulling her out into the sunshine. Her face still remained as stone.“It’s not going to be much longer, Ash. After Green Moonshine plays we can leave. Promise.”

“Exactly how long is that going to be?”

“Couple hours at most. They’re gonna be on in like, fifteen minutes.” I stuck my hand in my pocket to make sure it was still there for when Green Moonshine was going to perform. It felt cool and smooth between my fingers.

She sighed and looked down at her feet. It was the feet that might be bugging her the most…or maybe second to me at this point. I stepped closer to her, motioning for her to climb onto me. Her arms reached over my head to reach my shoulders, and she pushed herself up to sit on my shoulders. But in the process of all this, I caught a glimpse of something that made my stomach churn.

Lines, lines, lines, speckled with some dots reaching close to the inside of her elbow. Not again. Not now, after all of this. This wasn’t the Ashley I met, and I realize we met young and that she would change. I realize she’s going through her own battles. I realize I need to be sensitive. There for her. Even when she stumbles in late at night reeking the smell of strangers. Just, three fucking years of therapy and rehab and misery. I thought it was over, and that maybe I could have some of the real Ashley back.
****************

Earlier today, I had given my jacket to a young kid huddled up on the ground, using a backpack as a makeshift pillow. She looked so small and so tired, and the bag looked so hard. I folded my jacket up and tucked it under for her.

I’m not sure why I did that, why I felt so compelled to be nice at that moment. I purposely have been wearing my jackets, cardigans, long sleeve shirts the past couple of weeks because I’m hiding from Kyle. I was successful for much of the day, but then he offered for me to sit on his shoulders. What reason would I have to say no when I’ve been complaining about my feet all day? If I’d said, no, he would have gotten closer, maybe forced me up onto him. He would definitely have seen it then.

So, I agreed, and hoped he wouldn’t see as I climbed onto his shoulders. I think he saw. No, I know he saw. Why couldn’t we have just left earlier? I just don’t want to be here. Not with him. Not with anybody.

*********

I really didn’t know what to say, nor did I even want to say anything about what I saw to Ashley. It just left me so confused and nervous. Am I making the right decision today? I thought this would be a wonderful, romantic story to look back upon, but now it feels tainted. The lines and dots, an omen.

I looked around the fest grounds and saw people moving up to the stage, waiting for Green Moonshine to come up and play. I started to think about the first time I went to Summerfest…

I spent hours huddled in a cardboard box to protect me from the sun, and mainly to avoid some rather angry kids who had just been robbed of their molly. That first time, I came for the music, which delivered to some extent, spent hours miserable, and left with my life changed. Changed, because I met Ashley.

I’m not sure exactly how long I was stuck in that cardboard box for, but in the blistering Florida weather, time moved slower than you can imagine. Sweat moving, pooling around my eyes, the air around me especially heavy from being contained in such a tight space.

Suddenly a shock of light and something hard and cold hit my shoulder I thought those kids had found me and I was about to meet my death. My body tightened, anticipating another blow, but nothing came. All there was, was a soft laugh. I peered up to red billowy hair draped over ivory shoulders, electric blue, and crooked smile, “Don’t kill yourself in there now.”

“What?”

She pointed to a water bottle next to me, “Drink. You need it.”

I half mumbled a “thanks” and she left. Great going, so eloquent and charming.

This girl was beautiful and I just let her go, like that. Eventually I had to get out of that box, and I ended up wandering aimlessly around the festival grounds. I kept thinking of the pretty girl with red hair and blue eyes, kept projecting. What if I’d said “x y and z”. What would have happened then?

I kept replaying scenarios over and over in my head, me a much more charming, likeable guy and her falling for my “clever, quirky” personality.

As I made my way towards a food stand, I saw her there, burrito in hand, waving at me. I wanted to turn away, I don’t know why or how she got me so scared, but we made eye contact, and there was no escaping now. We both walked towards each other and there I was in front of her, barely sputtering out a “Hi” and “Thanks for the water”. All that projecting gone to waste.

She laughed, “Why are you so nervous?”

“I’m not.”

She raised her brow at me.

“Well not really…”

She laughed and grabbed me by the hand, over to a log where we both sat down. She started talking about how she found out about this festival, about waiting for her favorite band Green Moonshine to come up on stage, her photography, her animals at home…she talked a lot, and laughed a lot. That’s what I miss about her. She was just so warm and it was hard to stay nervous for too long.

Later into our conversation she noticed some strange dotty scars on my arm, around the insides of my elbow. “What’s that?”

“Oh…nothing.”

“What is it?”

“Just…it’s not for you.”

She grabbed my arm and started to shake me playfully, “Tell meeeee.”

We were laughing and calmed down. It turned more serious when I started to tell her about it, and she was curious. I didn’t want her to get involved in all this, but at the same time I kinda did. I didn’t know what it would lead up to, we were only fourteen.

****************

I was just sitting on his shoulders, wanting to feel guilty but couldn’t. Kyle has the best of intentions, and has been trying to help me for years now. He wasn’t the best influence at fourteen, but now at twenty four he’s responsible, caring, supportive. And he’s been that way for a while now, ever since we were seventeen and I woke up in a stranger’s car one afternoon. He changed quickly. And he wanted me to change with him. And I’m not really sure how he was able to get his shit together so quickly, cause after all this time I haven’t, and I’m so done with trying.

I had a bit of a feeling why we were here, why we were waiting for Green Moonshine to play. I just didn’t want it to happen. I’m never going to be ready.

********************

Finally Green Moonshine began to play and with Ashley on my shoulders we listened to a few of their newer songs and then I started to wander off into a quieter area where we could still hear the music in the background. I found an empty space and let Ashley back down on the ground. I sat, and pulled her over on top of me. With my head resting over her shoulders I held her arms in mine and stared at the lines and dots.

“Kyle, I’m sor—“

“It’s alright Ashley, I know.” We sat in silence for a few moments. “Do you remember when we first met?”

“Yeah, of course.”

“After ten years.”

She mustered out a quiet laugh. “You were hiding in that cardboard box and you were so still. I saw you get in and actually was afraid you’d die in there.”

I laughed, “Maybe I would have if you hadn’t come to my rescue.”

We listened to hums of music in the back and remained quiet. I was unsure if I should go through with this. I pulled one hand away and reached inside my pocket, the ring now in between my fingers. I twirled it between my index finger and thumb, more scared than when we first met, than that morning she woke up in that stranger’s car.

“You know, Ashley…”

“Yes?”

“I think after ten years of all this…of going through all this shit, and still managing to be happy means something. And if I survive these ten years with you…I think I could handle whatever comes next.” I pulled out the ring and placed it in her palm. “Will you marry me?”

*************

The ring was just sitting in my palm and I was unsure of what to do, of what to say. Fuck. It’s not that I don’t love Kyle. It’s not that Kyle isn’t the right person for me. I don’t know who else would have gone through all the chaos I bring along.

I just felt so tired. So I asked him, “Can we go home?”

************

I pressed on the pedal softly, moving faster. I think I know what’s going on in her mind; I think she wanted to say yes. I know it. The night wasn’t as planned but its okay. When I accelerate, I remember why it’s good to be alive.

Ashley, slouched down in her seat, put her hand on my leg. I turned over to her right as she was turning to me. Electric blue was gone, instead just tired eyes, and she told me, “Baby, all I wanna do is crash.”

“I know.” I accelerated under the tunnel and we were gone.

Natural Militia wrote a review...

Beginning
I don't like our beginning, especially your first line. Your first line is supposed to captivate readers. It's boring, it doesn't really explain where they are and it takes a while to get that across.

Ending
The proposal was both unexpected and, in what I felt, unneeded. Seriously, would this be the time to make a proposal? Just doesn't seem realistic.

Descriptions
You do a good job wording your descriptions. I particularly liked the scene with the self harming scars. It suddenly added a new layer to the story. What I didn't like about it, though, was that it wasn't really explored as much as I felt it could be.

POV
You have a unique POV! It's rare that I see something like this (particularly with a short story) but I loved how you gave the same situation from the perspective of two different people and how that changed the total mood of the description. I never felt like I was reading the same scene twice.

Overall comment:
This may jut be me, but I felt like I had to do a little too much work as the reader to figure out the characters and their situation. Make it easy for the reader, don't make them go on a treasure hunt.

Grammar / Sentence Structure:

"I glanced up and Kyle and he didn’t notice."
- Should the first "and" be "at"?
" If I’d said, no, he would have"
- Delete the first (and possibly the second) comma, and add quotations around "no".
There are a few issues with tenses throughout the story.

Overall, though, it really is a good story and has potential to be even better!

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello. Here as requested.

I am not sure what to make of this story at all. I'm just going to tackle the issues I see.

You didn't grab me with your beginning, nor did there seem to be much of a story until you hit the scars. This is what's known as set up. Set up isn't exactly what you'd call interesting reading. It's boring. It's information for the sake of giving us information and readers would much rather see tension, conflict, ect. Give us a reason to care and a reason to keep reading instantly. Adding in a character that is only there for one line, the first one, doesn't help the lack of grabbing. I kept expecting him to be reflected on or mentioned again (why he's passed out, in a pac man suit, ect) but he wasn't.

Also, your PoVs. If you want to switch PoVs, especially in a short story, I'd suggest third person. First person is notoriously difficult for differentiation, and the only way I could keep track of who was who were the names mentioned. You should be able to tell from sentence structure, up, who is who. Or, you use third person to not have to worry about it. Considering first person takes quite awhile to peg down for each person you're using it for, it can save yourself a lot of drafts to be in third.

Although, there was one differentiating factor that I could see, but it looked more like I mistake than anything: Ashley's sections had present tense mixed in with the past tense. I'd honestly rather not see this because it looks really sloppy. Keep everything in past tense, or make the present flow so it's not noticeable.

The scars were introduced incredibly suddenly. It threw me off, because nothing in your story had indicated that there would be a topic that heavy. It just looked like two people being annoyed at each other (Ashley annoyed that she was dragged to a place she didn't want to go, Kyle putting up with her and wanting her to lighten up already).

Have something in that long introduction that indicates this is to cheer her up, to remind her of why they fell in love. Because after you learned they met at the festival in that flashback, the beginning didn't make sense unless you know about depression. Actions that you had previously loved become unbearable, especially if they remind you of when you had been healthy. But I know that for personal reasons. Not because the story told me. When you're dealing with mental illness, you have to explain a little more because so few people know what it's like.

The flashback also is made redundant by the conversation after, where they explain how they met. You could have easily added a contrast in that conversation and saved yourself from diving into the past.

One huge problem here is your ambiguity. You expect readers to figure out things about a long established relationship on their own, which is next to impossible. This is made even more difficult by a lack of clues to what in the world is going on, or the significance of anything. I don't want the characters to spell out every single little thing, but I want there to be hints that there's something more. Mentions of how Kyle hoped Ashley would cheer up and remember why she liked Summerfest, talking about how she hasn't been in ages, how they were actually a couple (no, I did not assume that because the story was labeled romance. Kyle could've been her best friend and Mikey could've been the love interest for all I knew. As I mentioned before, I thought they were friends annoyed at each other at first, not a couple).

Ambiguity does not equal mystery. Mystery is giving us clues there's something more but not telling us what. Ambiguity is too little information given and expecting us to take the work at face value, but readers not understanding anything that's going on.

Also, you start to rush through the ending. You're not pausing on the events, and the ambiguity gets worse. The pace gets to near breakneck, and you had already been going a bit too fast for my tastes. Hoping from one event to another at the most emotional part of the story just leaves me dissatisfied, because we're not actually experiencing the emotion. We're being ushered along to the next event and not given time to savour or experience the emotions being presented.

Finally, the last two paragraphs look like either a murder-suicide or a dual suicide. They're in a car, she wants to crash, and he uses the word "gone." If you actually slowed down to give us what these characters were thinking and what would make them happy (which isn't told), plus some indication of how stable Kyle is (he starts to look unstable only after the flashback and we're not given his present mental state from himself; Ashley might not be the most reliable narrator), then there'd be some indication either way.

Overall, I find you're so focused on events as they happen you're neglecting emotions and building a relationship with the character. Find the balance between giving us past information, feelings about the current events, and the actual events. Then maybe I could piece together what's going on instead of being stuck with this overwhelming sense of confusion at this. There's barely a hint of how much they mean to each other, what they've been through together, how their relationship formed, changed, and strengthened (I thought Kyle was getting incredibly sick of Ashley at the start, for example, and was surprised he proposed).

Add feelings to your characters, please. And reflection on what's going on. It will make the story so much better.

PM me if you have any questions/comments.

~Rosey

emilyleigh says...

I agree! This was the first draft so it was a bit of word vomit. :p I wanted the reader to initially question why Kyle was being so rude and adament about keeping Ashley at the festival for so long when they were both obviously miserable, as he mentions quite a few times that she does not understand "the real reason" and that it's more than just the music.

The first character is a little unnecessary, I just wanted to throw in one of my memories from attending music festivals--people like to go all out with costumes and can get crazy, so it was just to add to the overall realistic vibe. I should depersonalize him by removing a name, or involve him further in the story.

I like being able to give the different perspectives through first person because the readers can see the different mindsets of both characters..that Kyle is devoted and mature, while Ashley is stuck and loathing. I wanted the readers to see how much they have changed. I should work on defining each characters voice though, perhaps even given one character a dialect to better distinguish the two. There's also the option of titling each section with their name, but still, you are right in that I need to distinguish their voices.

I do love ambiguity but need to make it more clear. The ending was meant to be interpreted in a few different ways. Others who have read it thought "crash" meant she wanted to go to sleep, since she was complaining about being tired. I want to work on that some more so that the mystery of whether they die, or simply go home to sleep becomes a big question.

Thank you for the review! The insight will definitely help as I move onto my second revision.

A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.