Young Writers Society

The Space Between Infinity- 1

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:34 am
Jas says...

~*~

Spoiler! :
This is something new I'm trying. I like the plot idea I have, but not so much the actual writing I've done. This is the only scene where this might be a problem, but please excuse me for any mishaps when I'm talking about Christianity. I did the best research I could and if there are any mistakes with that, please tell me. I know it's a bit short but this is like a third of the chapter so I didn't want it freakishly long.

Rated for cursing.
~*~

It ended with a funeral.

There was my father, his shirt and pants perfectly ironed, his hair perfectly coiffed yet his perfect life shattered. Shock was clear in his eyes, somehow melding with this dazed sort of look, like he was actually asleep in bed and would wake up to a perfect new day very soon. The opposite of my mother: his body was stiff and numb, his fingers digging into the caramel wood of the pew he sat in, completely still, almost statue like.

There was my mother, with her head cradled in her arms, her entire body bent down to her knees, her hands pulling her tangled, messy hair as she moaned and wept and wailed, the sound strongly muffled by the long, shroud-like dress her tears were soaking into.

There was Lucy, sniffling with her eyes swollen and red and wiping her nose with her too-long black dress sleeve. She didn't look like she belonged here, with her feathery blonde hair and forget-me-not eyes, but rather on the stained glass windows, an angel hiding amongst humans.

And there was me, standing on the side, head tilted, watching my family mourn my dead body. The casket was pearly white with red velvet lining and I felt claustrophobic just looking at it. It was an open-casket funeral and I looked plastic and fake, but not like a Barbie doll, even with my hair done in pretty curls and my lips so red they looked glossed in blood. I looked more like a corpse that some poor, unfortunate soul had filled with embalming fluid so I didn't begin to decompose during the funeral, which is exactly what I was.

The church was beautiful, with red carpet flooring and marble statues of Jesus and Mary. Painted ivy snaked up and down the walls, framing the glass windows that cast dyed shards of light on everyone's faces.

Aunt Ellie was crying, her shoulders shaking as she rubbed her swollen belly with one hand and squeezed Uncle Richard's hand with the other. Ryan was wailing, in the midst of his terrible twos, and Angelina was hushing and cooing him, her fair skin splotchy, her green eyes blood-shot, like a drunk's. A pang of envy ran through me as I noticed, even then, even there, she was more beautiful than any one person has the right to be.

There were others, cousins and aunts and uncles, grandparents from both sides and my godmother and her family. My boss and co-workers, the librarians at school, most of my teachers, the principal, my coach and all of my team mates, some strangers, some acquaintances, some people I hadn't seen in years. They meant nothing and everything to me and it hurt so much to realize that I had been loved by all these people.

Friends too, a shockingly large amount, some bowing their heads in prayer or maybe respect, others crying, others reading the paper pamphlet that described Chloe Deshmount's life in a couple hundred words. My eyes glanced over them, Emma and Akila and Rosie and Joshua and that guy from math class whose name I could never remember and dozens more all here, sitting, standing, kneeling, shaking, crying, all here at my funeral.

Father Sebastian was at the altar, tall, with a deep, soothing voice that spoke, almost sung, lost, shattered words in Latin; et lux perpetua luceat eis, et lux perpetua luceat eis, et lux perpetua luceat eis*. His eyes had a certain glassy look, like he was about to cry and his fingers gripped the podium tightly as he begun to speak in English again.

"For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day,"

A choked sob broke out of my mother and Angelina was fervently whispering along to the pastor, clutching a long strand of rosary beads in her hand, pushing bead by bead as she said each 'Amen'. Ryan, long-forgotten by his sister, was in his father's lap, sucking his thumb and staring up at the church walls, marveling at the stained glass.

The cold, salty taste of regret was fresh on my tongue as I noticed Aiden, sitting next to his mother, staring straight ahead, perhaps at nothing, his arms crossed, the corners of his eyes slightly wet. His mother was patting his knee, a worried, sad look on her face, glancing at him and Nina and recognizing the similarities between her children. Aiden gently pulled his leg away from his mother's hammering and gritted his teeth, hard. He swallowed and I could tell he was tasting regret as well.

Nina was on the other side of Aiden, looking small and lifeless, so unlike the brass, drunk girl who had slung her arm around my shoulder once and slurred it was just me and her against the world. She was wearing the satiny black dress she was supposed to wear to prom, sophomore year, when Jacob Flint asked her but her mom didn't let her go. We had picked it out together from this funky thrift shop on Murberry street, the one that my mother didn't like because she had once seen a homeless man peeing in the alley beside it.

I can imagine her in her room, fingering the edges of the dress with one hand and carefully applying red lipstick with the other, making sure not to tremble so her make-up wouldn't get messed up. The green of her iris' were vivid against the smoky eye shadow and thick mascara that coated the edges of her eyes, streaking down her face with black tears and I remember 7th grade when we tested whether our make-up really was water-proof.

The priest paused and suddenly, the shadow of an unusually large bird danced through the windows. The bird sang and there was silence except for the bird's voice, low and clear, mourning in it's own way. Then it stopped, the bird flew away and it seemed like everyone woke up, my father staring at the window long after the bird had gone. My eyes flicked back to Nina and Daniel and Aiden and Amber and then they stopped and looked back, noticing something that wasn't there before, like an inch of fabric revealed with simple stitch work.

Tyler, he came too, his face blank of emotion, like he wasn't even here, maybe remembering the last funeral he had been to. He was grasping Liza's hand, holding it so tightly I knew it must have been hurting her, and I stared at their laced hands and felt a raw, aching burn in my stomach, like someone had dripped acid over an open wound. Time stopped for a moment and my heart jack-hammered in my chest as I stared, hungrily eating up the sight of him. I was still shocked at how gorgeous he was, all blue eyes and dark, dark hair and stubble and this immense sort of sadness in his eyes, like the world was about to end and he had realized there was nothing he could do about it.

I felt light and a million and two memories shot through my head of us all and I really missed them for a minute. Suddenly the world had been taken off my shoulders, an eighteen year old Atlas and I was going to grab them both and tell them so much until the church bells rang three times and I remembered why Tyler was here, why Nina was here, why I was here, why everyone was here-

I was dead.

~*~

*'and let perpetual light shine upon them' in Latin; often repeated during funeral prayers.

Spoiler! :
Reviews and likes are appreciated! Also, if you want to be notified for future chapters, please let me know somehow in your review because I don't want to bother you if you're not interested. :]

Continue reading here! :]
Last edited by Jas on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:42 am, edited 20 times in total.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:03 am
View Likes
wonderland says...

Alright, so, that was a good start, and I'm interested to see where you're going to go with it.
To me, tough, it felt kind of short, and there was only detail. It seemed too detail and description heavy, even though you did it beautifully.
My advice would be to break it up, maybe add some whispered dialouge, between friends or family. That way you don't weight down the reader with too much description at one time.
I like your idea, though, with the dead person narrating. I'm excited to see the background, and what happened, or wherever you decide to go.

~WickedWonder
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Hey jasmine! Here for a review! :)

First, my only nitpick:
Shock was clear in his eyes somehow melding with this dazed, stoned sort of look, like he was actually asleep in bed and would wake up to a perfectly perfect new day very soon.

This sentence just didn't sound ring to me. I think it's mostly the bit I have in bold is where the problem is. There's a word or two that's the wrong tense or form or something. Yeah that wasn't very helpful xD

Overall, I really enjoyed this. The imagery was stellar, and I was able to visualize it really well. My only issue was I kept finding myself thinking what's the point?. Through all of the description and imagery there was never a clear mention of why this all was happening. What's the significance of her death? As a first chapter, there ought to be something to set the plot rolling, a clear why that will drive the action of the story into the next chapter. This, as it is, sounds more like a prologue (though I suspect the events of the next chapter will occur directly after this, so I don't suggest simply renaming this prologue rather than chapter one). Try working in some notion of what happened before, what's going on with the MC (in her life/death, in her thoughts, etc), and what sort of conflict might begin to drive the story forward.

Other than that, lovely job! The prose itself is good, doesn't have a lot of grammatical errors or anything, and pleasant and engaging to read.

Keep writing!

-Lauren-
Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:07 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Hey Jas, here as requested! I'm in a very review-y mood so I basically rushed over to do this xD

I. NITPICKS

It ended with a funeral.

Not a nitpick, just, omg, what a brilliant opening line.

Shock was clear in his eyes somehow melding with this dazed, stoned sort of look, like he was actually asleep in bed and would wake up to a perfectly perfect new day very soon.

As much as I like these two images, I don't see how they can merge together at all. It's like trying to get an elephant to merge into a panda. They're both great, but you're going to be able to see very clearly where one starts and one begins, just like shock and emptiness in someone's eyes.

the opposite of my mother.

There was my mother,

With starting each paragraph with "There was" I think the opposite line would do better if placed after "There was my mother"... I don't know, it just works better in my mind...

And there was me, standing on the side, head tilted, watching my family mourn my dead body.

Again, oh my gosh. Brilliant. So brilliant.

The casket was pearly white with red velvet lining and I felt claustraphobic just looking at it.

claustrophobic.

but not like a barbie doll,

Respect Barbie. Capital B.
Angelina was hushing and cooing him, her fair skin splotchy, her green eyes blood-shot, like a drunks.

drunk's

Friends too, so many of them,

This makes her sound so cocky- like, "Because I had SO MANY FRIENDS." I mean, maybe she does and maybe she is cocky. But I'm not sure that's what you mean especially since you can't remember one of the names...

fingering the edges of the dress with one hand and carefully applying red lipstick

Full stop at the end.

II. OVERALL

I adored this! Seriously. Just my sort of story. I'm really looking forward to reading more of it. I like how you're doing this, how you're throwing people off with the "And there I was"- although doing it there removes the impact of the last "I was dead" but I don't think you can mention this fact much later, you do need to get it out in the open.

The one issue I do have is that there are just so many characters here. I love the idea of watching your own funeral, but we have cousins and friends and just too many names going on here. It's alright, and it reads just fine, but I'm concerned that if we're supposed to remember all these people we're just... not going to. I don't know if I wan't you to change that or not, as I say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. But by the end I'm just lost in a sea of characters.

Also, since she's at her own funeral and they all have pamphlets I feel this is the perfect time for you to fill us in on what I like to call "the factfile". Her name, age etc. Maybe even how she died- but I'm assuming you'll come to that.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it and I hope you'll keep me posted on new parts!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:23 pm
View Likes
AmeliaCogin says...

Hiya Jazzy; I'm here as requested!
Okay, so onto a review...

My overall first-impresssion:

I enjoyed reading this. It was reasonably well-written; your prose was steady and controlled. I do think, however, you were a little over-zealous with some of your adjectives. What I mean is that, in more than one place, you've used describing words without actually thinking them through and asking yourself: 'does that really make sense?' I'll get back to that thought later. Ooh, and, I like your opening sentence. It's really strong, and sets the scene for the rest of the story. Bravo! One thing I do not like is your title, but I suppose that is just personal preference. In my opinion, it's too wordy and twists your tongue a little bit too much. When I'd finished reading this part of the chapter, and I looked back at the the title, I was a little beffudled. It's not strinking, or powerful, compared to your first line. It sounds, to be honest, like the title of a star-trek episode!

Anyway, on with some nitpicks:

Jas wrote:wood of the pew he sat in,

I don't like the way this reads. Perhaps think of a more interesting way to put it, like, 'the pew he was rigidly perched upon'.

Jas wrote:my mother.

There was my mother

The word mother is in too close a promximity. It reads a little repetitively. Perhaps alter it to: 'There she was.'

Jas wrote:to a hysteric beat only she could hear
I don't understand - what is this 'hysteric beat'?

Jas wrote:too-long black dress sleeve

I think 'oversized' would sound better.

Jas wrote:angel hiding amongst humans.

Why would she 'hide' amongst humans? She'd be in plain, clear sight on a glass window of a church!

Jas wrote:And there was me, standing on the side, head tilted, watching my family mourn my dead body. The casket was pearly white with red velvet lining and I felt claustrophobic just looking at it. It was an open-casket funeral and I looked plastic and fake, but not like a Barbie doll, even with my hair done in pretty curls and my lips so red they looked coated in blood. I looked more like a corpse that some poor, unfortunate soul had filled with embalming fluid so I didn't begin to decompose during the funeral, which is exactly what I was.

The church was really beautiful, with red carpet flooring and marble statues of Jesus and Mary. Painted ivy snaked up and down the walls, framing the glass windows that cast dyed shards of light on everyone's faces.

Aunt Ellie was crying, her shoulders shaking with sobs as she rubbed her swollen belly with one hand and squeezed Uncle Richard's hand with the other. Ryan was wailing, in the midst of his terrible twos, and Angelina was hushing and cooing him, her fair skin splotchy, her green eyes blood-shot, like a drunks. A pang of envy ran through me as I notice, even now, even here, she is more beautiful than any one person has the right to be.

The two passages in bold follow on quite nicely; the middle paragraph totally breaks it up. It's as though the middle passage has just been plonked there; it's totally out of place. I'm not saying scrap it - just move it.

Jas wrote:in the midst

This doesn't sound right in this context. 'Midst' isn't the right word here: "'in his' two's" sounds absolutely fine.

Jas wrote:My eyes glanced over them, Emma and Akila and Rosie and Daniel and that guy from math class whose name I could never remember and dozens more all here, sitting, standing, kneeling, shaking, crying, all here at my funeral.

There should be a semi-colon between 'them' and 'Emma'.

And...that's it! I really like the concept, and you've executed it pretty well. I'll definately be ready to read more, so PM me if you decide to post the rest of the chapter. Anyway, I hope I've helped, and If you want me to re-read or re-review after any corrections have been made, feel free to leave a comment on my wall or PM me!

Until the next time

~ Amelia

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:13 am
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

Hey Jasmine! <3

I don't know how much I'd be able to contribute to reviewing since Lauren and Stella have already graced the story with their reviews, but I'll try. :wink:

Wow, the beginning was intense. I am myself co-writing a novel with Lily on issues of death and stuff, and I've been reading such kind of work a lot. So, I actually liked your story.

Ryan was wailing, in the midst of his terrible twos, and Angelina was hushing and cooing him, her fair skin splotchy, her green eyes blood-shot, like a drunk's

If there are writers I've admired really on YWS then they are you, PinkShearwater and Skinsy! You guys inspire me every time I read a story of yours, which is what makes a good writer. Writing is good in itself, but if your writing evokes a writing dream in someone, and makes them wanna write, then you're an awesome writer.

Well, I always love reading stories on death and loss, so this is exactly what I love reading. I have read a lot of your stuff, but by far, I think it was the best coming from your kitty. Even though you described everything brilliantly, you had so much going on with your words, for me it felt a bit overloading with showing. I mean you were telling things too, not that I deny that, but somewhere down the line I just felt that you could have made this less about telling.

I am actually confusing you, right now, and I know that. So, I'll try to explain my self. I had a feeling that sometimes the whole chapter seemed so heavy to read. I don't particularly object on that since the whole subject was a bit heavy and not something you could take lightly, but I think you should tone down some stuff. And by toning down, I don't ask you to delete anything, but maybe add something light. Like some dialog to show how people were distressed, like some hush whispers she hears? That would actually show their grief. Her describing with her own eyes isn't bad, but I just feel you could show us some responses.

I have seriously confused you, and am so sorry for that.

Anyways, back to the topic, I also think you could show how she encounters some people from her school or locality who are not really interested in attending the services, just came for the sake of it, aren't really attached to her. You know at times like these you have to attend funerals even if you weren't too close to them. You could show that and how the protagonist feels so sad or bitches about the particular person. It's not a critique but just a suggestion.

Also, I found that you were throwing so many people's name here. I don't think the next time a reader would be reading the next chapter, they'll be able to remember all the names you used.

As for the Christian element, I totally felt that I was attending a real service. I know you yourself aren't Christian and it must have been a bit hard, a bit of research work taken when you could have written this out properly. But also on the other hand you live where you'd easily meet more Christians so asking them for the rituals and all is pretty easy. Plus, you always have Internet.

Following on the praise, I'd like you to take care of the religious stuff in the entire novel. This topic, the topic of death is really intriguing and am interested to know what will happen next. Also, in stories like these, there's always a religious connection. So, just brush up your knowledge on that aspect.

I hope this helps, even though I am sure this review is worthless. :)

I am interested in reading more. If I won't be able to contact you ASAP on the chapter, I'll come by some time later. But please keep on informing me about the progress of the novel.

A big good luck! <3
Last edited by MiaParamore on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:17 am
View Likes
thatoddkid says...

I really liked this chapter. *nods*

There was my father, his shirt and pants perfectly ironed, his hair perfectly coifed yet his perfect life shattered.

-This sounds really condescending. Like really condescending. I'm going to assume this narrator has some reason to be miffed at their father, but even then it makes them seem bitter. Yet it seems to me that you're going to try to extract sympathy from the reader, and having an unlikeable narrator will make that much more difficult.

completely still, almost statue like.

-"almost" and "like" are basically saying the same thing in the position you have them. Either "almost like a statue" or "statue-like" would be better.

There was my mother, rocking back and forth to a hysteric beat only she could hear, with her head cradled in her arms, her entire body bent down to her knees, her hands pulling her tangled, messy hair as she moaned and weeped and wailed, the sound strongly muffled by the long, shroud-like dress her tears were soaking in.

-("wept" instead of "weeped") That's quite the image. Curious, then, that you'd make it your second description. In the place that it is, it feels a bit overdramatic. Is she sitting on the pew as well? The only people I've ever seen that cry like that were insane, and it's not really helping my impression of this. It's so childlike, and yet she's a mother. I get that she's utterly devastated, but the knees-to-body thing plus the hair-pulling thing makes it seem a bit over the top.

She didn't look like she belonged here, with her feathery blonde hair and forget-me-not eyes, but rather on the stained glass windows, an angel hiding amongst humans.

-I liked this. A lot.

And there was me, standing on the side, head tilted, watching my family mourn my dead body.

-The reader doesn't know the narrator's dead yet. Err, they shouldn't. The weight this sentence carries seems understated here, and I think it's because you started it with "and". Or maybe just switch around the parts, see what happens. Or maybe it's perfect the way it is.

A pang of envy ran through me as I notice, even now, even here, she is more beautiful than any one person has the right to be.

There were others, cousins and aunts and uncles, grandparents from both sides and my godmother and her family. My boss and co-workers, the librarians at school, most of my teachers, the principal, my coach and all of my team mates, some strangers, some aquantainces, some people I hadn't seen in years and they meant nothing and everything to me and it hurt so much to realize that I had been loved by all these people.

-("acquaintances") There are many people at her funeral, and quite a few of them are deeply affected by her death. So I'm assuming she was a very likeable person. But I'm not getting that impression from anything else. (More on this later.)

His eyes had a certain glassy look, like he was about to cry and his fingers gripped the podium tightly as he begun to speak in English again.

-Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think the priest should seem so affected, especially if the narrator didn't even know him. It really detracts from the mourning of the other characters because of that.

I can imagine her in her room, fingering the edges of the dress with one hand and carefully applying red lipstick

Tyler, he came too and he was grasping Liza's hand, holding it so tightly I knew it must have been hurting her, and I felt a raw, aching burn in my stomach, like someone dripped acid over a stab wound. Time stopped for a moment and my heart jack-hammered in my chest as I stared, hungrily eating up the sight of him and I was still shocked at how gorgeous he was, all blue eyes and dark, dark hair and stubble and this immense sort of saddness in his eyes, like the world was about to end and he had realized there was nothing he could do about it.

-("lipstick.")("sadness") This wasn't the first time, but you flitted between tenses here. I didn't catch them all, because they're pretty subtle, but you're going to want to go through this a couple times. Also, I'm not too fond of the last sentence. It just made me go, "Really? You're dead but not, and your biggest concern is a boy?!" Tone it down a little, make it a bit more... objective.

I felt light and a million and two memories shot through my head of us three and I really fucking missed them for a minute and the world had been taken off my shoulders, an eighteen year old Atlas. I was going to grab them both and tell them so much until the church bells donged three times and I remembered why Tyler was here, why Nina was here, why I was here, why everyone was here-

-The cussing felt out of place here. It didn't really give me that feel of desperation, and it certainly didn't contribute to the realization. Really, it just makes her seem immature. And "donged" sounded weird, to say the least.

First off, you're amazing. 'Nuff said.

Second, your narrator. I wasn't all that fond of her. I don't know what it was--maybe some the things she observed or said, or possibly the way she said them--but she got on my nerves a bit.

Third, people are really sad about this. Which annoyed me because she seems slightly unpleasant and they still care so much for her.

In summary--careful with her. Hmm. I think this is one of those things where I can't say what I want to say until I ask someone for help, and they start thinking about it but I already have the answer because for some reason asking a question I can't answer in a manner that expects an answer usually gives me the answer immediately. So if you don't know what I'm talking about above (as in character, not my explanation of myself xD), PM me or something and I'll probably be able to express it better later.

Fourth, you're an amazing writer, and this was an amazing piece. I know I said what I said earlier, but I thought it needed to be said twice. xD

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:45 pm
View Likes
WaitingForLife says...

Heya,

I'll be ignoring all the earlier comments, so if there are some redundancies, blame them on my laziness. Also, I just pulled an all-nighter so forgive me any small mistakes. Without further ado, let's jump right in.

I have to say, I was - am - damn impressed. I checked out your portfolio and it seems you write poetry as well, which heavily reflects on your writing style here. Your descriptions were a flowing, moving mass, constantly molding the picture in my head, rolling the idea forward. That's some skill to have. I tend to jam a little too much into sentences to squeeze out the last droplets of meaning, which doesn't look that good in the end result. Here, I found you had a nice balance, even though there was a lot of it.

The opening line really bit, had me hooked instantly. I enjoyed your descriptions about the people present, especially the repeating of 'perfect' in the father's case. Wonderfully written. Here's another thing I think you did outstandingly well in. You introduced many, many characters in such a small time, but I could connect with all of them and it didn't feel like you were just throwing them at me. Strong ending line too, it brings the part a complete circle from the beginning.

Only a couple of grammar mistakes/typos, but I'll clear those up as well.

There was Lucy, sniffling with her eyes swollen and red and wiping her nose with a too-long black dress sleeve.

A pang of envy ran through me as I notice, even now, even here, she is more beautiful than any one person has the right to be.

This part is in present tense while the rest of it is past.

like someone dripped acid over a stab wound.

Should be "had dripped". But I think you should find a more powerful and flowing word than 'dripped'; I find it sort of blocky compared to the rest of your work.

I felt light and a million and two memories shot through my head of us three and I really missed them for a minute and the world had been taken off my shoulders, an eighteen year old Atlas.

Umm. I know you have a lot to tell us, the readers, but you don't have to rush through all of it in one sentence. I like the idea of the 'eighteen year old Atlas', a really clever image, but it's lost in the huge surge of words behind it. Also, even if you keep this form, revise everything after the fourth 'and'; you'll notice it just doesn't make sense. Honestly, though, just cut this up into at least two sentences.

I was going to grab them both and tell them so much until the church bells donged three times

Using 'until' here gives me the idea that she was going to keep grabbing them and grabbing them and grabbing them until the church bells dong. I had to read this sentence twice to get what you actually meant.

As I said before, nice touch on the ending line. Simple is powerful. All in all, a really nice and interesting base for pretty much anything you want to come up with. Great read. :)

Hope some of this helped,
|Life|
Call me crazy; I prefer 'enjoys life while one can'.
-------
The pen's mightier than the sword - especially when it's wielded by a flipmothering dragon.
-------
◥▶◀◤

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:14 pm
View Likes
Glimmerglass says...

Hey, Glim here to review! I'm so excited. ^.^

So first off, I really adore your title. So far it fits in perfectly with the piece and makes me hugely interested in continuing the story, just by what it suggests. And all stories begin with a title, so you're off to a great start!

I'll go through this piece by piece. First off, I loved the opening line. Smart and concise, it really pulls the piece together right from the start. I'm always a bit iffy about using "it" to start a sentence, especially at the beginning of a piece. This may be something you want to eventually revise, but honestly I like it the way it is now.

Quick little error:
Jas wrote:coifed

"Coifed" should be spelled "coiffed." Very minor. ;)

Okay. So for this whole beginning paragraph, I think you use the word "perfect" a LOT. I recommend looking over the whole paragraph and maybe finding the ones that aren't necessary to the meaning and change it to something different and varied and perhaps descriptively better. Also, this:

Jas wrote:The opposite of my mother; his

should use a colon after mother instead of a semicolon.

For the next paragraph, you should probably not start with "There" again, just because repetitiveness tends to disengage the reader. Everything else looks great, but here:

Jas wrote:were soaking in

I would use "into."

Oh, and I love this next paragraph! It's fantastic, referencing her to an angel. I liked that a lot, and thought the paragraph added a lot to the piece overall.

So with the next paragraph, we know that you are the dead person at the funeral. Interesting. I liked how it was not explicitly stated. So far you have a strong grasp on "showing not telling," I feel. That's great.

I have a small issue with your next sentence:

Jas wrote:The church was really beautiful

I would just remove the "really." It's somewhat redundant and unnecessary to the meaning, and I personally think it would be stronger without it.

All is good until this tiny detail:

Jas wrote: like a drunks.

Add an apostrophe after the "k."

Next, in the list of people at her funeral, you mention her coach and teammates. I personally am curious about what sport she played. Maybe you're saving it for later, but if not, you could slip in "track" or "volleyball" right before the coach and it would get that taken care of. Just a thought!

I loved this line in particular, because I felt like it really just struck home on an emotional level:

Jas wrote: that guy from math class whose name I could never remember

Yeah. Beautiful.

The next section sounds good, and honestly I can give you absolutely no advice on the Christian ceremony part because I'm not religious, but it sounds good and authentic to me!

Ooo, and the next description of her best friends is excellent. I could completely see both Nina and Tyler in my mind's eye, both physically and emotionally. They already feel very real to me. Here is one brief verb tense issue:

Jas wrote: so her make-up doesn't get messed up.

I would change "doesn't" to "wouldn't."

So I love the next paragraph, but I would change this next sentence so that you put "suddenly" after the "and." I think it would flow better.

So this:

Jas wrote:and the world had been taken off my shoulders, an eighteen year old Atlas.

Becomes this:

Jas wrote:and suddenly the world had been taken off my shoulders, an eighteen year old Atlas.

I like how you ended the chapter with the church bells donging and her exclamation "I was dead." I think that it wraps the piece together nicely. However, I will say that it is a bit explicit and redundant; though, in the context of the story and voice, I think it could work. I would say read it over a few times to yourself and just see how you really like having it there.

Overall, I am so intrigued by this story: it's fresh, your writing is descriptive and emotional without being overbearingly dense, the plot line and characters are original, and basically I can't wait to read more. I loved how you slipped important details like her age and name into the text without telling the reader directly. Your writing is sophisticated and you obviously have a solid grasp of how good story-telling works. I'm excited to read and review the next installment as soon as I can! You have a great story here and I hope you continue it. :)

Good luck and Happy Writing!

~Glim
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you."
~Winnie the Pooh

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:25 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

Jas! Sorry it took me so long to get to this. School and such.

Anyway, I love this! Like, seriously. I love it. You captured the funeral perfectly. It was sad and bitter, but there was the underlying wit, humour almost, of the dead MC being there watching it.

Overall, this is fabulously well-written. A few nitpicks and things:

wake up to a perfectly perfect new day very soon.

You don't really need two 'perfects'.

She didn't look like she belonged here, with her feathery blonde hair and forget-me-not eyes, but rather on the stained glass windows, an angel hiding amongst humans.

I love this description, but it's worded a little awkwardly.

her fair skin splotchy, her green eyes blood-shot, like a drunks.

should be "drunk's". Also, I don't know that that additional description is even necessary, unless she really is a drunk.

My boss and co-workers, the librarians at school, most of my teachers, the principal, my coach and all of my team mates, some strangers, some aquantainces, some people I hadn't seen in years and they meant nothing and everything to me and it hurt so much to realize that I had been loved by all these people.

Holy run-on! Also, you spelled "acquaintances" wrong. Just break this up a bit.

I was still shocked at how gorgeous he was, all blue eyes and dark, dark hair and stubble and this immense sort of sadness in his eyes, like the world was about to end and he had realized there was nothing he could do about it.

run-on.

I was going to grab them both and tell them so much until the church bells rang three times and I remembered why Tyler was here, why Nina was here, why I was here, why everyone was here-

Also a bit too long.

So, overall, this is great! It just needs a little editing. Make sure to watch those run-ons. I'm thoroughly intrigued. Please post more soon!

-Tori
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:49 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Hi Jas! Just a quick comment over here... from what I understand, this is a Roman Catholic funeral, correct? That is, you have the rosary, the statue of Mary, the Latin, etc. So, it seems very Roman Catholic.

With that said, I didn't look into the funeral mass too hard to see if something was wrong, but I noticed two things that were rather... wrong. First, you had this:

Priest Sebastian

We would call him "Father Sebastian." I don't know of any Christianity branch that would label them as 'Priest" for an official title, in fact. I think other Christian sects may call their leaders "pastors" though. For Roman Catholics though, priests are always known as "Father."

A choked sob broke out of my mother and Angelina was fervently whispering along to the priest, clutching a long strand of rosary beads in her hand, pushing bead by bead as she said each 'Amen'.

Er... typically, the rosary is said before the funeral mass. And you wouldn't ever do a rosary in a funeral mass when the rosary was not being said by all. That would be very rude. The rosary and the funeral mass are two separate occasions from each other, though they may be combined.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts about that.

And no offense but... uh... I was kind of bored halfway through. It was just repeating what I would typically see in a Roman Catholic mass, but in her perspective. I don't know. I kept thinking, "Um... now what?"

So yeah!

On to the next chapter, I guess. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:13 am
Shearwater says...

Hey, Jas! I'm here to review!

First of all, thank you for giving me something to review. I got this message just when I logged in to find something to review and boom! There it is! :) Another thing, Duuuude - you have so many other reviews for this piece I doubt I'll be much of any help! Nonetheless, I'll do my best to provide 'some' help if I can.
It ended with a funeral.

First of all, I have a thing for openers and you my darling, this is a good one. I like how it says 'ended' instead of 'started' which would then be sort of overdone but seeing that it's switched is a nice change and provokes curiosity for subject that has 'ended'.
There was my father, his shirt and pants perfectly ironed, his hair perfectly coiffed yet his perfect life shattered.

I doubt there is anything great about a funeral. Scrap the 'perfects'.
There was Lucy, sniffling with her eyes swollen and red and wiping her nose with her too-long black dress sleeve.

If that's the sister then I think her mourning should be more powerful and sad. I remember when my grandmother, who practically raised me, passed away and I cried like the world had ended so her reaction to his death here doesn't really appeal to me as if she was close.
There were others, cousins and aunts and uncles, grandparents from both sides and my godmother and her family. My boss and co-workers, the librarians at school, most of my teachers, the principal, my coach and all of my team mates, some strangers, some acquaintances, some people I hadn't seen in years.

You didn't have to list all of them, you know. xD
"People we haven't seen in years" is just fine.
I was dead.

DUN.DUN.DUN!

Overall, I did think this was good but the thing is, it just had too much description to the point where it was draggy and often times confusing. I think you can maybe lessen the description and try to keep it a bit lighter or make the descriptions less repetitive because it is a little repetitive in some areas with the feelings and all of that.

Anyway, that's about all I can really point out. There's nothing else that hasn't already been said that I would say... Good grammar and all, neatly done. Good job and keep at! Sorry for the crappy review but if you need anything less, just ring me another PM! :D That didn't really make sense but you know. I'm here if you need me. ^^

-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:46 am
View Likes
Blues says...

Hi Jas!
I really need to keep on top of my homework. That way I'd have a lot more time and I wouldn't be discovering good works (like this) so late after it's been published XD

Anyway, Things I liked

1. I loved your first sentence. You could say my reaction was like this:
"W-w-wh-what?" he said with a puzzled expression on his face, yet intrigued. He moved closer to the screen to read further.

It's a rubbish sentence I know XD But that's how I felt. What ended? Why is the narrator dead? That's a good thing though, it made me very intrigued and wanting to read more.

2. Viewpoint. Yet again (OK so everyone else who's looking through this review just to see if something doesn't need to be mentioned in yours, I reviewed 1.5 before this), this was such an interesting viewpoint. I love how Chloe is dead, and she's watching her own body and her own funeral. I like how she's carefully looking around - who wouldn't in their own funeral - and the descriptions there.

3. Pace. It was lovely and slow, yet not boring for me. An important event like this should be slow, in my view. you took the time to describe everything and yet it wasn't boring at all. It was perfect in that respect.

4. Research. I can tell you put in A LOT of research. This felt like a real Christian service! (I'm assuming you're not Christian like Mia said) I could tell that you knew what you were talking about. I've never been to a funeral, let alone a Christian one (I'm not Christian) so it was really helpful. I love how there are leaflet things about Chloe's life, how the priest spoke in Latin, the description of the surroundings... it was brilliant.

Finally:
Jas wrote:I felt light and a million and two memories shot through my head of us three and I really missed them for a minute. Suddenly the world had been taken off my shoulders, an eighteen year old Atlas and I was going to grab them both and tell them so much until the church bells rang three times and I remembered why Tyler was here, why Nina was here, why I was here, why everyone was here-

I was dead.

What an AMAZING ending!

Improvements
Again, not that many.

Jas wrote:Friends too, a shockingly large amount, some bowing their heads in prayer or maybe respect, others crying, others reading the paper pamphlet that described Chloe Deshmount's life in a couple hundred words.

Not everyone would've understood that Chloe is the narrator. Try and make it slightly clearer from that. It took me a few seconds to realise who that was and I read 1.5 before I read this.

2. I was going to agree with Snoink actually about the Father thing. I know I'm not Christian, but I did play runescape once upon a time *blushes* and they had a chapel where one character was called Father something. I've never heard of it being Priest X. I would've thought it was Brother X or Father X or something :)

3. Whisper also said this, but it would also be nice if there were a few bits of whispered dialogue here and there :)

This was really really good, Jas! I loved it! I'm off to Chapter two now.

Keep writing!
Mac

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Hi! Sorry its taken me so long to get to this but let me see...

General Notes

1. Good, dramatic first line. Very nice.

2. Over-doing it just a little with the perfects in that first paragraph. The first round of them is fine but the 'perfectly perfect' is just grating and too much.

There was Lucy, sniffling with her eyes swollen and red and wiping her nose with her too-long black dress sleeve. She didn't look like she belonged here, with her feathery blonde hair and forget-me-not eyes, but rather on the stained glass windows, an angel hiding amongst humans.
That last sentence is a little off. Maybe try something like, '...on the stained glass windows, with the angels.'

4. Too many characters! Choose a few and shadow the others out. At the moment it's all characters and no action and while it's interesting to know she'd in the coffin and dead, I want more from the main character. What are her feelings on this? I'm growing tired of hearing her describe those of her family and friends. Is she calm about the prospect of being dead and yet being some sort of ghost? Or is she afraid? Is she angry with any of these people, is there anything she regrets? I just feel that there needs to be something more here to hook me because I care little for the guests of this funeral since there are just too many to latch on to any specific one and yet the character I might care about is silent on their own thoughts and troubles.

Friends too, a shockingly large amount, some bowing their heads in prayer or maybe respect, others crying, others reading the paper pamphlet that described Chloe Deshmount's life in a couple hundred words. My eyes glanced over them, Emma and Akila and Rosie and Daniel and that guy from math class whose name I could never remember and dozens more all here, sitting, standing, kneeling, shaking, crying, all here at my funeral.
It seems strange that her parents would invite someone whose name she can't even remember. Funerals are generally very private, small affairs so I'm thinking there's too many people here who shouldn't be. Far too many, particularly for someone who was so young.

Father Sebastian was at the altar, tall, with a deep, soothing voice that spoke, almost sung, lost, shattered words in Latin; et lux perpetua luceat eis, et lux perpetua luceat eis, et lux perpetua luceat eis*. His eyes had a certain glassy look, like he was about to cry and his fingers gripped the podium tightly as he begun to speak in English again.
Priests and vicars have done this many times before. He would not look about to cry. He would be professional and composed.

A strong ending to finish it off! Okay so I liked this, quite a lot actually, but I did feel there needed to be more inward thoughts thrown in and less characters to try and accomodate. I've added the next part to my reading list, though I probably won't get to it for a little while, but I would like to read on and see where you're going with this. Maybe you should hint about that a bit more here though, give us some idea of why she's still here - does she even know herself? Also, some very beautiful descriptions here and a great attention to detail. Thanks for the read,

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:09 pm
View Likes
Dreamwalker says...

I was recommended this piece and, quite frankly, I can understand why.

This is great description. Great emotion. You go into the little details in which most people push past so that they can get to what they really want to write about. You, on the other hand, write with precision and an smooth, clean contemporary voice. There was nothing overly melodramatic with her thoughts processes. Nothing that would make me turn away or put the book down. In fact, this is very, very mature.

So you've caught my interest. Props to you on that.

Now, for the critique aspect of this all.

First and foremost, you speak of people quite a lot in this. You drop names which is an interesting way of bringing them in, and you speak about specifics in character which is also good, but there is something rather... too perfect about the entirety of this. Maybe because she likes to describe the people who are achingly beautiful as opposed to the ones in which are not. She skims over the ones that aren't exactly interesting to look at, but definitely interesting to read about. That being said, you need to balance out a couple juxtaposing images here if you want that dynamic effect, such as the young and old like you already did, or beautiful and not so beautiful. Mean or kind. All these things will give us an interesting display of the 'family' she seemed to acquire for herself.

Now, I like the fact that you did not tell us how she died. It opens up for many different things and keeps the reader hooked enough so that they have to continue on. In fact, this almost feels like it should be a prologue as I know it appears to be on the short-side, but it starts and ends so effectually that I would fear adding another section to this or continue on the same basis.

I'm curious. Are you going to jump back a bit? As I have yet to read the next couple chapters, I'm rather curious.

In any case, this is interesting. It reminds me a bit of The Lovely Bones. That being said, hopefully this will take a turn for something a little more original. I'm sure, with a bit more reading, I'll know where this is going, but until then, it feels as if its an idea that has been done before. Of course, I don't suspect that that would be the case.

On a whole, I like this. I like that you're not rushing. I like that you're being clean and taking your time. I specifically like the way in which she sort of takes things in and does not appear to be freaking out or going on about how she wants life again. In all honesty, her peaceful behavior seems to be the most befitting, so I respect you all the more for it. If you can keep a tone like that, I'm sure I will end up enjoying this immensely.

Keep writing and I'll definitely keep reading! (which means if you update, I'll come a-knocking again ;D).

~Walker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

What about the chicken, Jack?
— David Letterman