z

Young Writers Society

Tyler's Song

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 pm
DevanEWilliams says...

Spoiler! :
I am entering this in a contest. The idea is to be as subtle as possible. I know it's pretty rough since I JUST finished it, so please please PLEASE rip it to pieces. Thank you :)
PS I have just finished revising this for the second time.

His song was playing on the radio.
It wasn't even the kind of music she normally liked to listen to. For some strange reason, he loved it, and because of that, she did too. Once upon a time, he would listen to it constantly. The radio was in the same place in the kitchen as it had been for years, on the yellowed counter next to the refrigerator. She grasped the volume knob and turned until every word, every beat of the drums resounded in her ears.
Anne let out a resigned sigh, then closed her eyes and allowed her mind to immerse itself in countless memories of them together.
Summer mornings when Tyler was so small he could barely reach the table well enough to stuff his mouth full of freshly-made pancakes and golden-brown maple syrup. A sticky grin was on his face, and they were both laughing. The smell of the pancake batter filled the whole room, and the whole place seemed to glow.
Much anticipated Christmas mornings, when he would tear down the stairs so fast it was a wonder he never tripped. Anne would try to give him a stern warning, but she was too busy smiling. In all the confusion of unwrapping presents, the new toys, and the excitement of the holiday, she remembered his happy face the most, and the contented feeling she got when seeing it.

Maybe if she kept her eyes squeezed shut tight enough, then this would all go away. This was just another day, the same song. The small white kitchen table still had that red checkered cloth. The walls were still a charming yellow. The curtains were the same shade of scarlet they had always been.The same kitchen. The same house.
So why did everything feel so different?

"Hi, it's me, Tyler."

Every little thing in the room somehow looked so much more empty than before. The life, the color had drained from everything. Maybe even her. The window, with the chipped paint, was open, but the wind blowing in felt weaker, as if it too had given up.
Anne left the kitchen and slowly made her way to the bottom of the stairs, hardly noticing the fact that she was moving. She gazed up to the second floor and raised her foot to take the first step.

A cool autumn evening when the song was playing and they were dancing in the kitchen. A soft breeze eased its way in through the open window and made the whole room feel alive with the music. Tyler couldn't follow the steps so he was standing on her feet as she moved. He didn't even come up to her chest then. His head was pressed up against her stomach, his arms wrapped around her, and one of her hands was on the top of his head, fingers running through his brown hair.
A cheerful goodbye as Tyler stepped onto the yellow school bus for the first time. His backpack was much too big for him. He looked so small as he boarded that bus. His innocence allowed him to let go, but she wanted to hold onto him forever.

There were discordant, disconnected feelings as well, ones that she couldn't quite hold on to. Each one confused her even further and caused a flood of desire to wash over her.
A small hand clasped in hers
The scent of chocolate and the heat of an oven
Warm wind on her face
A familiar laugh

Am I really going to torture myself? Anne asked herself as she reached the second story of the house. The carpet was soft under her feet as she walked. The hallway was dim, and an exposed light bulb above her was flickering.

“I'm on my way home right now. Do you need anything while I'm in town?”
“No thank you, Ty. Just head on home. Dinner's ready when you get here.”

His room looked exactly the way it had always been. A few posters, important to him, but their meaning lost on Anne, hung on his dark blue walls. His bed was still unmade. If she looked hard enough she could maybe see the place where his head had been when he slept. If she looked even harder she could almost see the impression of his body on the bed. It seemed like a cruel thing to do to him, cleaning all this up. Even his old high school sweatshirt was hanging from his bedpost. A sock was hiding underneath the edge of his bed.
The familiar scent of him was overwhelming. Anne was frozen in the doorway, unable to enter yet unable to walk away. Her hands gripped the door frame until her knuckles whitened.
The muted sound of the radio could still be heard from the kitchen, the song drifting up the stairs and down the narrow hallway. Anne couldn't determine if she wanted to cover her ears and scream, or make the music as loud as it could go, so it could be all that she ever heard.

"Oh, I almost forgot. I need to tell you something. You'll never guess what happened a few minutes ago."
"Tell me."
"All right. Well, I-"

Anne's hands formed involuntary fists. She waited for the tears to come but they didn't.

Two weeks ago he brought home his new girlfriend. Her name was Sarah. They went to school together. She cared about him more than Anne could comprehend. And she was so beautiful. So much life in those deep ocean eyes.

"Tyler? Are you all right? Can you hear me? Tyler?"

Beautiful, precious life. If she looked in the mirror, would Anne see life in her own eyes? It seemed as though her life was snatched away from her so suddenly in the warmth of a sunny afternoon.
I am dead, she thought. Maybe my body is still alive, but I am gone.
She couldn't feel yet. Anne knew the disbelief would clear from her mind. The numbness would wear off eventually. She would be able to cry then. She could cry and she wouldn't be able to stop.

"Tyler, I need to you listen to me. Are you there?"

Anne headed back down the stairs. Tyler's song was over.

"Tyler?"
Last edited by DevanEWilliams on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay away from limbo bears.
And always have extra marshmallows on hand in case of emergencies.

High Quality Reviews Available Here! viewtopic.php?f=188&t=96280

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:41 pm
View Likes
SmylinG says...

Hey there. So I have a couple things I guess that I wanted to point out with this. First of all, it was a nice short story. I think after reading through the entire thing I sort of got the gist of what was occurring in the scene and what had happened in an overall sense to Annie's son. But like you pointed out, everything was very subtle.

I think that when being subtle like this, you want to be mindful of at least two things. 1.) The emotion. I can see this was meant to be a very touching sort of piece, but the emotion wasn't seeping out of the words as much as I would have like to have seen. Which is alright, because that's something relatively easy you can come back and try to dress up and further elaborate on in the editing process. 2.) The clarity of the scene and imagery. I found myself working a little extra hard to stitch up all the tiny fragments of what you were saying and describing as you blended in memories with the present and such. That's also something that can be touched up as you go back through and edit this.

As for the major things, I think those were the only real two issues as far as the clarity of the piece. I just think that you could have made this so much smoother in that aspect considering the subtlety; like one emotional flowing thought, though with many different levels to it. I also had a few smaller nitpicks that I think could use some touching up possibly:

She turned the volume knob until every word resounded in her ears.

I just think this was one of those sentences where you could've been a little more descriptive with. I think mostly because this piece was so short anyway, there was all this room to be more elaborative. So I guess I'd just basically like to see this story have a little more oomph. ;) If not here, then many other places for sure. Like here:

A sticky grin was on his face and they were both laughing.

By allowing the description of your words to paint the scene, you make it more touching for the reader to connect with the main character on a personal level. That can be what gives the story its pop, too. So yeah --description! I'm not saying there wasn't any great description at all, because there was, but there were also places where it lacked. So I'd like to see that touched up some.

So why did everything feel so different?

My correction is in red. The tense was off. An easy mistake though I notice.

Anyway, lastly I guess, I just wanted to give my guess on what happened to the main character's son. From the way you entered in the dialogue in italics like that, I took it for a memory. Like Annie was on a phone call with her son, and he was maybe busy or driving and got into an accident. I'm not 100% sure, but that's sort of what it seemed like in my eyes.

Well, I suppose that's it for this review. I really did enjoy what you have here so far. It was a great first draft, and I think it'll make an even better second or third.

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:53 pm
ally1212 says...

This was a really good piece of writing. I could really feel the pain of the character. You choice of words was also really good it enhanced the story very much. I think you could have gone into a little more descrption of Tyler and maybe his bedroom even. The story was short and sweet so it didn't seem to drag on forever which was good. Also I was wondering if this was for a contest because there was this one contest that I saw that your story seemed to be perfect for. If this is for the contest I hope you do well and I wish you the best of luck.

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:47 am
Rascalover says...

Hey,
Thank you for requesting a review; here I am. Most of my review will be grammatical errors, but I will try to comment on the plot and characters as well.

A sticky grin was on his face and they were both laughing.

Add a comma after face because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction and.

Much-anticipated Christmases,

Why is there a dash inbetween much and anticipated? There shouldn't be.

Anne tried to give him a stern warning but she was too busy smiling.

There should be a comma after warning because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction but.

This was just another day, the same song. The same kitchen. The same house.

Because the last two are not complete sentences, replace the periods after song and kitchen with commas and lower case the t in the twice.

So why does everything feel so different?

This should be connect to the sentence above. Replace the period after house with a comma and lowers case the s in so.

A cool autumn evening when the song was playing and they were dancing in the kitchen.

There should be a comma after evening.

Tyler couldn't follow the steps so he was standing on her feet as she moved.

There should be a comma after steps because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction so. Conjunctions include: For, And, Nor, But, Yet, So, Or. They are used to combine complete sentences with similar ideas.

A small hand clasped in hers

Warm wind on her face

A familiar laugh

None of these are complete sentences and none of them have punctuations at the end. I like the style, but I think it needs to be fixed.

A few posters, important to him but their meaning lost on Anne, hung on his dark blue walls and his bed was still unmade.

There should be a comma after him because you are combining two complete sentences with the word but.

She waited for the tears to come but they didn't.

There should be a comma after come because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction but.

And she was so beautiful. So much life in those deep ocean eyes.

Take away the word and, and replace the period after beautiful with a comma and lower case the s in so.

"Tyler? Are you all right? Can you hear me? Tyler?"

Beautiful, precious life. If she looked in the mirror, would Anne see life in her own eyes?

That first sentence isn't a sentence at all. Replace the period after life with a comma after lower case the i in if.

It seemed as though her life was snatched away from her so suddenly in the warmth of a sunny afternoon.

I am dead, she thought.

I am dead should be italisized because it is a thought.

Maybe my body is still alive, but I am gone.

should be italisized because it is a thought

She could cry and she wouldn't be able to stop.

There should be a comma after cry because you are combining two complete sentences with the conjunction and.

This is so heart breaking and beautiful. I think you wrote it very skillfully, but the few grammar mistakes distracted me as such. If you have any questions or need another review feel free to ask.

Have a great day,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:10 pm
Kagi says...

So this review is so late it's unreal and for that, I'm going to apologise. It doesn't happen that often that life gets in the way of reviewing but everything has been pretty crazy lately!

Anyway, apart from all that blabber, I'll review for you today! ^.^

First off, this --->
It wasn't even the kind of music she normally liked to listen to.but Ffor some strange reason,(no comma) he loved it,(no comma) and because of that, she did too.

And becuase my corrections are quite hard to read, here's a simpler version of what it should look like: It wasn't even the kind of music she normally liked to listen to but for some reason he loved it and because of that, she loved it too.

I loved this little line minus the errors of course. It was really moving and I got exactly what you meant likfe that. I mean, I can so easily related to it. When you love someone so much, you begin to love whatever they love too, like it's a package deal. The only thing that bugged me was I'd have liked a bit more you know? So ... more depth.

She grasped the volume knob and turned it up until every word

You had some lovely simple memories in here and I thoroughly enjoyed exactly that. Simple. It was lovely to read something so straight forward and beautiful. I'd have liked the memories or flashbacks to be in italics, as it would captured that old-time memory feel. Because it's not all happening now so we need to be able to realise the different time zones within the story.

Other then that, you have a gorgeous subtle piece and I think you have a very high chance at getting placed in the competition. You have a lot of talent and it's very well portrayed in this piece. I wish you all the best of luck with everything and keep writing!

Kagi x
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:20 pm
Priceless says...

Hiya!
Don't even know if you'll need this review now but oh well. I liked this a lot. Like the others said, simple, subtle, beautiful. You really got me into the character's head. It flowed really nicely too. So I have nothing to review; it was amazing. Keep writing :)
We're all a little weird. And life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:07 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Hey Devan! So I'm really looking forward to reviewing this because I love when I know the author is a) looking for criticism and b) ready to take the criticism into account! Hee! My favourite kind!

I. NITPICKS

The radio was in the same place in the kitchen as it had been for years, on the yellowed counter next to the refrigerator.

This seems like telling, but with a little rearranging of words it could be more showing. Like, "The kitchen radio was in the same place it had been in for years, on the yellowed counter..." see? Or something...

Anne let out a resigned sigh, then closed her eyes and allowed her mind to immerse itself in countless memories of them together.

Whenever I'm writing serious stories I tend to use the MC's name as little as possible too! I don't know why. But why do you randomly use it for the first time here?

Was she actually in the oven?

The familiar scent of him was overwhelming.

I feel like you're using "familiar" too much. He's her son, I'm guessing. So duh it's familiar.

II. OVERALL

Some of the imagery and things in here are truly beautiful and you do a good job of making her grief believable yet not overly sentimental. A few things I have issues with. Like, he's dead, right? But there's no mention of when he died. You do do a very good job of bringing the whole scene in though, but I'd like a sense of time. Also, his girlfriend. It bugs me that she's just in there. Again, a lovely image of a girl in love that Anne can't relate to. But in a story as short as this, I feel like you should be focusing more on creating Tyler, on perfecting your portrayal of Anne's relationship with him. Because it's so short, I feel like you don't have room for anything else.

Overall though, very cleverly done!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm
Dreamwalker says...

Hello there, Devan! And, might I add, what an intense piece of fiction! It definitely left an impression on me so I give you a big thumbs up on that.

Either way, I'm going to break this down into two different sections. Firstly, my critique followed by my thoughts on the subject of subtlety. Sound good? Okay, so on with the show!

Critique:

What I noticed right off the bat was that your diction is rather, straight forward. As a piece, this is fantastic on the whole, but each individual line seems to be lacking in certain aspects such as metaphor and imagery. You're stating the things we should likely see and feel but you don't really attune it to all the senses. Merely the eyes. I may be a bit rusty seeing as I've spent most of my time in the poetry forums, but if there is anything I think you could improve on, your wording and diction might be one of the only things.

I get a lovely impression from this piece. A lump in the back of my throat, I suppose. Maybe because of the fact that its sad. I'm a sucker for tragedies. Not quite sure, but either way, I did enjoy it.

One thing I think you should try working with, especially with pieces like this, is first person. I understand its not for everyone and its not easy to switch from a current writing style, but I feel that if you switched this to first person we'd get a better glimpse into the heart of the character. You can be subtle all you want with it, but first person would put it across so much smoother. Of course, that is up to you! There is nothing wrong with third.

Subtle Aspects:

There's no doubt about it. You made this subtle.

I read the entire piece slowly, trying to save that anticipation you put forth. It was bittersweet as she speaks of all the good memories and how its slowly killing her. I like that. The best part of all is that the defining point of this piece is that its so subtle. If you took out that edge, you'd have something rather melodramatic and overly excessive.

The only thing that didn't really do well for this was how blatant your diction was. If you were a little more 'imagery' this and 'metaphor' that, I think this might have come across as the winner, but because the theme was so blatant and the wording was so blatant, I had a hard time really appreciating this as something subtle.

You did exactly what I asked of you, though, so thumbs up from me! Congratulations.
~Walker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory