z

Young Writers Society

teenage telepath

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri May 13, 2011 12:51 am
View Likes
IKnowAll says...

Before I start, I'll warn you that while you're reading you may notice large gaps in the storyline. I am currently adding these parts in, as I feel I will be unable to add more to the end until I make the part I already have complete. When I have a more refined version, I'll post the chapters one at a time. The numbers are the names I haven't thought of yet. Oh, and this is kind of for age 14+ but that wasn't an option...

Chapter 1

I’ve made a friend in my first week, all was well. I was completely normal. That is, until the day when my disregard of superstition was shattered... It all started one morning when Alec, a friend of mine, was walking to the wrong side of the school for first period. As I approached I could tell he was deep in thought.
“What has you thinking?” I asked him, walking beside him
“Rumors.” he muttered quietly, so much so in fact, that I could barely hear
“About?”
“A girl, her name is Dawn. She gets straight A’s without studying and won a beauty pageant while frowning. Half the guys in the school have the hots for her.”
“Ohhhhh, the one with that never smiles?”
“You’ve met her?”
“Not exactly, she’s in my science class, but I‘ve never talked to her.”
“She seems kind of lonely”
“Yeah. I’ve only been here for a week and I already feel sad just looking at her, it’s always nice to see someone like that smile…”
“Like what?”
“Someone who doesn’t know what it’s like to be happy.”
“Yeah…”
“So what were you thinking about?”
“Well, she has a reputation of denying any guy before he even asks her out, they don’t even ask, they say one word to her and she just says ‘you’re not the one’.”
“Like a snowflake- beautiful but cold.”
“I’m serious... One time a guy did get pretty far with her, then she dumped him, he said it was but a moment after he thought something about another girl.”
“Don’t believe such nonsense. Mind reading is impossible.”
“I don’t know, but I’m afraid of her.”
“Come on, let’s go.”
“Crap! you’re right, the bell just rang!”
We ran to our classes and I got in my seat just as the bell rang. Yet again the teacher shook in frustration at me escaping a tardy by less than a second. The class went by quickly, I got all my notes down, and finished my homework before the end of class. But I couldn’t help looking at that girl, Dawn, every once in awhile. What was up with all those ridiculous rumors? Why was she so popular among the guys? Were they really that weak to good looks? She was good looking though, no one can deny it honestly. Her long black hair extended to her mid back and her pale skin was free of acne. Her frown could make anyone sad though…

When I got home, I sat there thinking for awhile, until the phone rang and I answered it.
“Hello, is (1) there?” said Alec
“Speaking” I replied
“Okay. There’s this totally cool convention going on tomorrow, and there are supposed to be psychics there. At least come to see them, if they’re not really psychics nothing will change. What do you have to lose?”
“I’ll ask my parents.”
“YAY!”
“Are you going to pick me up then?”
“Technically that would be illegal but my dad is, if that’s what you mean.”
“Ha ha.” I said sarcastically.
“Okay, see you tomorrow.”
“If it’s fine with my parents, sure.”
“Great.”
And as fate had decided, my parents authorized it.
That was the last day I functioned as a normal human being.

Chapter 2

The next day, when I left the car, I remember a strange feeling that I was supposed to be where I was. Then an even stranger feeling came over me, and I began walking parallel to the wall on the right of the doors, searching for something… But what was it?
“Where are you going?“
“I’ll meet you inside.“
I saw a hedge in an odd position, and looked to around… I kept walking until I saw a bend in the fence. This was it. I squeezed through the two bars that had been bent, and walked over to the hedge. It was a maze. I walked 1 right 2 left 1 straight 2 right and walked to a wall with a man standing in front of it.
“Password?” asked a man standing in front of the wall.
I thought for a moment then put out a guess that for some reason I knew was correct.
“Snowflake” I said
“How did you…”
“I don’t know… I just… knew.”
“You kind of remind me of the person she described”
“A person who described?”
“Yes. You must be him, her prediction was that you would meet today and meet again with your identities revealed two days afterward.”
“So can I go in?”
“Yes. This is an entrance directly to her cell.”
“Okay.”
I entered the building, and found that I was in a purple stall that had a woman sitting in a lawn chair. She was tall, and had purple hair, pale skin, and a purple hat. There was some kind of clear tarp over it that was sound proofed, but I could still hear the people talking to each other.
“Um, where’s Alec?” I asked
“That information is not necessary… how did you get here? Wait… it’s you? How could I have not realized that before?” she replied.
“What are you talking about?”
“It can‘t be you! There must be a mistake!”
“What are you talking about!”
“He’s supposed to be charming and handsome…”
“I still don’t get what are you talking about?”
“The one.”
“Are you okay?”
“I’m fine… I suppose you do not understand what I mean by ‘the one’”
“Something to do with true love?”
“Supposedly…”
“Well I think all those superstitions out there are just to manipulate people…”
“Well I never had the chance to think of them that way.”
“What do you mean?”
“I’m a psychic.”
“Yeah right, what am I thinking right now?”
“I may not be able to tell if you are indeed the one.”
“Try.”
“You are thinking…”
At that moment I had a sharp pain in my forehead and when it went away but a moment later, the sound in the area had past doubled.
“Whys it so loud all of a sudden!”
“What are you talking about! It’s really quiet now!”
“I’m just going to leave now…”
“Wait!”
“Yeah?”
“See you at school.”
I froze there for a second in shock.
“But you’re an adult…”
“Look again.” she said, and begun shrinking a little, her hair changed from purple to black, and she got a bit paler, and then looked at me angrily.
“You just… You just took it.”
“Took what?”
“Get back here you thief!”
“What did I do!” I said, running out of the door I came in from, and going through the opposite sequence in order to get out. She seemed familiar, but I couldn’t see her face very well with her hat covering it and all. I got out my phone and called Alec.
“Where are you?” said Alec.
“Outside, I found a way in but this psycho person chased me back out.” I replied
“Psycho person?”
“Yeah, she kept saying I could be the one or something, and her hair changed color and stuff then she got mad all the sudden and chased me out.”
“What are you smoking?”
“What?”
“You sound like more of a psycho, weren’t you the one talking about supernatural things being hoaxes?”
“Well yeah…”
“Whatever, I guess you’ve seen enough.”
“Yeah… Where were you?”
“I went to the main entrance and they asked for ‘the password’. I said I didn’t know what they meant and they said to find another entrance and use a password I did know.”
“Oh… lets just get home, it’s kind of loud here.”
“What do you mean? I thought you said you were outside?”
“Yeah, but I can still hear them. It’s like there’s no wall there.”
“Quit it, that’s the description of a mind reader’s average day according to one of the people I talked to.”
“Okay, where’s the car?”
“Coming.”
“I’ll meet you at the entrance to the parking lot then.”
“Okay…”
I walked to the car, and got dropped off at my house… it wasn’t very late but I felt more tired than I could remember ever feeling before. I walked directly upstairs and went to my room without a second thought. I was asleep in a moment.

Chapter 3

“What’s (1) doing? Why isn’t he down here yet?” I heard my mother say, although it sounded distant and faded…
“What are you talking about mom? It’s the weekend, give me a break!” I said
“Why’s he talking to himself?”
“I’m not talking to myself, I’m talking to you, mom.”
“Did I say that out loud?”
“What’s he talking about?” my father said in the same distant voice.
“Mom’s acting weird. She just asked herself if she asked herself why I was talking to myself.”
“Is he okay? His mother didn‘t say anything.” my father said.
I opened my eyes to see that I was in my room, it was an ordinary Sunday, but something seamed different…
“He stopped… does that mean he’s fallen back asleep?” My mother said
“What’s going on… she’s… In the kitchen? How can I hear her so clearly?” I thought to myself. This was confusing, I tried to recall the conversation I’d just had. First she said that I should be down there… then she was wondering why I was talking to myself, then she was wondering if she’d said it out loud… and dad didn’t hear any of it? And why was I so tired? That was a strange day. I spent the whole day sleeping, other than the occasional food, water, or bathroom break… thinking on and off, and wondering why I could hear people talking through the walls. I knew I wasn’t crazy, stuff like this didn’t jump on people right? It happens gradually if you’re crazy… I lay in bed that night wondering what could have caused all this.

Chapter 4

As I entered the school bus I had a splitting headache in less than a second, and it lasted all through the ride. When I got to school I still didn’t feel right… when Alec came over to talk to me, I heard him say “What’s up with him?” in the same distant voice.
“I’ve just had a headache all day…” I said, and with his next words, he made me realize what was really going on.
“I didn’t even say anything…” and when he said that… He didn’t move his mouth.
“Um… I think I was wrong… about telepathy.”
“Why’s that?”
“I have been able to read minds as of two days ago.”
“This is a joke right? You’re the one who doesn’t believe in superstitions of any sort. Plus you would have told me if you realized something like that…”
“No, it’s not a joke, and yes, I know. I didn’t realize until you said that you hadn’t said anything without moving your mouth.”
“You’re serious…” he said out loud.
“Yeah, I met this woman at the convention, and some weird stuff happened, anyway, she said ‘see you at school‘, and then, as I told you, she like transformed, I couldn’t see her face because of the hat though, anyway, she was more or less our age…”
The bell rang and we begun walking to class. A minute after we split up to go to our separate classes, Dawn ran over to me, and said “YOU! YOU STOLE MY-” I heard her mind say the next word and stopped her before her body could, Quickly covering her mouth with my hand. I whispered in her ear “I didn’t steal your power. I’d give it back if I knew how, sorry for the misunderstanding.”
I begun to walk away, but then she said “We’ll resolve this in the back parking lot after school.”
“Sorry. If I don‘t take the bus then I‘ll be stuck here.”
“Then I guess you won’t get you’re phone back.”
“When did you…” I said, checking my pocket, which no longer had my phone in it.
“Sorry, you’ll have to get home some other way.” she said holding my phone just out of my reach.
“I’ll just have to resolve this phone problem with the teachers.”
“You wouldn’t!”
“You’re right, I probably wouldn’t, but can it just be lunch instead? Pretty please?”
“Yes. Since you asked so nicely. Let’s just try to figure out a way to meet up then…”
“You think about it, and I’ll um… check, whenever I’m not busy thinking myself.”
“Sounds good.”
When I entered science class standing next to her, everyone looked at me a little weird. But later that period, I realized that she looked a bit less depressed than normal… wasn’t she mad about losing the power? I think it was those headaches maybe…
“Dawn, what is the farthest unit of length that we’ve learned about?” asked the teacher.
“I… I don’t remember…” she mumbled
This caused a lot of muttering among the class and more thinking than I was comfortable with.
“Do you know, (1)?”
“Light year?”
“Correct.”
Dawn looked a bit annoyed now… Oh well. She’d better get used to it.

Chapter 5

At lunch, she walked over to me and pulled me out of the flow of students. I sighed, but continued walking. I heard her think “Just go with where I take you. I don‘t want you getting lost.”
I followed her until we got to a dead end and there weren‘t any people within earshot. She begun with giving me my phone back.
“Thanks” I said.
“Just make sure you stick to your side of the agreement once we‘ve made one.”
“I don’t make a promise I can’t keep.”
“Good. Straight to the point... Um… can you teach me how to do well in school without my power?” she said quickly and looked at me hopefully.
“I would, but I’m kind of busy… I guess, if it’s worth it, what do I get if I help you?”
“What would you like?”
“A way to turn the power off.”
“Huh?”
“Yeah, I feel intrusive reading people’s minds, and I some things people think about I’d probably rather not know right?”
“Well, the only way I know is to focus on a single person’s mind, and you won’t hear any of the other ones.”
“Can you teach me how to do this then?”
“Yes, but once you know how to do this, in respect for me, please do not read my mind unless I give you permission or something.”
“Fine.”
Then the bell rang. “Here’s my number… This doesn’t mean anything.” she said and ran away.
“What doesn‘t mean anything…”
I stood there for a second thinking about it before I remembered the bell had rung.
I walked over to the nearest exit. Crap, my class is on the other side of school. I sprinted there and got in just in time, slipping into my seat just as the bell rang.
“This kid is the definition of intolerable.” the teacher thought, as I thought about the situation with Dawn.
Mind reading gets annoying very fast. Especially if you’re in a room full of perverts, morons, and shopoholics. The worst thing about it was that I couldn’t turn it off, and I couldn’t make any noise. I wanted to just yell at everyone to stop thinking so loudly, But that would make me look crazy to half the people in the school and like I wanted attention to the other half. I was just about ready to scream when I heard someone in the class think something that made the blood fade from my face.
“I wonder where (1) was at lunch? He was walking with Dawn. I wonder where they went...” at that, my hand tightened to a fist. What rumors would be going around now?
“Are you okay, (1)?” the teacher asked
“Fine, fine.”
The rest of the day was a blur…

Chapter 6

The next school day was pretty boring... But I was glad to see that Dawn didn’t seem vary depressed compared to any other time I’d seen her... She even looked happy... I looked at her and smiled. “Glad to see you finally happy...” I thought, as the bell rung, and I walked out of the classroom. I glanced at Dawn as I walked by her and she asked:

“Why are you looking at me like that?” she asked

“Oh... I’ve just never seen anyone go from totally depressed to happy in less than a week...”

“Hm? I guess I am a bit less sad than usual...”

“Is it because of the lack of headache?” I whispered

“Could be... I’m also getting along well with other people, since I can’t psych out from them lying to me...”

“Good for you! Well... Why don’t you get to know them better this lunch?”

“Well... I... I wanted to know...”

“I wanted to know if you thought it would be better for our first meeting to be at your house or my house...” she thought, although I barely heard her through the other thoughts.

“I don’t really care... But my parents will freak out if they don’t know where I am... So it can’t be today. I’ll ask about tomorrow though.” I whispered to her.

“Oh... Okay...” she said.

“See you later!” I said, and walked off.

Chapter 7

“What are you, stupid? You expect me to believe that you’re going to a girl’s house to help her study? You haven’t told us about any friends that were girls yet!” my mother said across the breakfast table.
I had told her that I would be going over to a girl’s house or she would be coming over to ours occasionally to study, but nothing of the mind reading.
“It won’t be every day!”
“He’s more stubborn than his father.” she thought.
“Since when is dad stubborn?” I said aloud, then the blood faded from my face. I was found out.
“He’s always been, you should have noticed that by… I didn‘t say that he was stubborn out loud…” she said.
“See you later mom!” I said, as I sprinted out the door
“Wait! How did you do that!” she said, as I grabbed my backpack and ran to the door.
“You didn’t hear anything! got it?” I said, as I ran.
“But-”
“Bye!”
“That was close!” I thought as I paused to catch my breath. Well, if she tells anyone they’ll think she’s crazy, but I’ll have to be extra careful around my family now…
“What happened, are you okay?” said Dawn
“Fine, why are you here? Do you live close by?”
“Yeah, I don’t usually get much sleep so I wake up late, thankfully the bus stop is right next to my house”
“So why are you over here and not at the bus stop?”
“Well I kind of had a feeling that the bus wouldn’t be here until 7:48, so I thought I’d talk to you.”
“Wait, why 7:48?”
“Just a feeling…”
“Well we’ve still got 5 minutes if that‘s the case. We might as well make a plan for our meetings.”
After a lot of arguing we decided that we’d go to my house for studying, (so my parents didn’t know about the power and apparently so her mom didn’t know she’d been using it to cheat on tests and stuff) and to her house for telepathy training (So her mom thought that was all we were doing and my parents didn‘t know about it.)
“Let’s just hope they don’t figure it out…” she said.
“30 seconds left.” I said.
“Nope, 47.”
“What?”
“Don’t ask me why I can do this all the sudden, it’s just an approximation. Now it‘s 41.”
Sure enough, exactly 41 seconds of awkward silence later, the bus arrived. What? Is there something weird about having a watch?
“How did you-” I started to say but was cut of by a cold voice that couldn’t possibly come from Dawn, saying.
“In public we don’t know each other. got it?”
I slowly nodded my head. She stepped ahead of me onto the bus and sat in an empty seat.
“Go to the next seat!” I heard her think through the other thoughts.
So I did, I sat in the next unoccupied seat, and tried to focus on Alec’s mind to see what he was thinking… Nope, didn’t work, his thoughts were just as loud and distinguished as everyone else's.
Once we got to school, Alec said “So what was up with you and Dawn?”
“Nothing, we were both just bored and thought it would be less boring if we talked to each other.” I replied with the first lie that popped into my head.
“So why did you almost sit next to her?”
“She’s fun to talk to.”
“I’m not stupid.”
“Then why don’t you believe me?”
“Because I know you’re lying.”
“Okay, I’ll tell you I’m lying, But I won’t tell you the truth.”
“Oh? And whys that?”
“You‘d have to know the truth to know that.”
“Curse you, logic!” he said jokingly.
“See you later.”
I walked to class then. I didn’t have time for this.
“Ah, good, you’re here early.” the teacher said.
“Yeah…” I said, staring into space.
“Why were you talking to Dawn?” said Tony, a jock in our class. “That got around fast...” I thought annoyedly, but still ended up saying:
“Who’s that?” I asked.
“Don’t play dumb.”
“Okay then, I’ll play sleep.” I said, and tried to take a nap. A moment later, a person’s fist hit the desk in front of my face and I jolted back.
“She’s mine, got it?”
“What are you talking about? I was just talking to her. Were we kissing or something? No. Well then, leave me alone.”
“Where did you go at lunch yesterday?”
“To talk in private with her.”
He then looked shocked all the sudden, and was about to say something, but sighed instead. Then he walked back to his seat looking confused. I realized something then. I couldn’t read his mind. Why not… And why was he so obsessive about Dawn? I’d better ask Alec about them later… He must know something about it. Next period was PE we practiced meditation and stuff, but only I could tell the moment when every one's minds were clear... Then I felt normal and headache free... At the end of the period, I walked over to Alec’s locker...
“Oh crap, I forgot my lunch again!” he thought as I approached him.
“can you tell me about the relationship between Dawn and Tony?” I asked
“I don’t know, You weren’t telling me about what was up with you and Dawn, how about first, you-” he started to say but I interrupted him.
“I’ll give you my lunch.” I offered, and just afterward, his stomach growled loudly.
“Aw well, I can’t exactly turn down this offer, even if it is a bribe.” he thought looking at his stomach, then sighed.
“All right.”
“Thank you!”
“A few months ago in a classroom not that far away, Dawn and Tony were talking to each-other, and Tony ended up asking Dawn out. by the end of the week it was school-wide knowledge that she had called him ‘the one.’” he said.

“So what happened?” I asked.

“There are a lot of theories, but neither of them would tell us what really happened.” he replied, mouth full of peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

“So that‘s why he said that earlier..”

“What’s why who said what when?”

“Well-”

“What’s up? you weren’t just talking about me were you?” said Tony

“Yeah, I was wondering why you were obsessing over Dawn and I talking."

“Good... so it is not as I feared...” he replied

“Why are people never specific when they’re near me?” said Alec

“Don’t take it personally.” I replied

“What do you mean?”

“Anyway, why are you so unspecific?” I asked Dawn

“It’s just a habit...”

“Well, it’s good to have habits. Sadly, people tend to hate on overachievers because they don’t have many.”

“Yeah... people can’t accept the fact that someone can be that good at so many things and have so few flaws... and sometimes it’s jealousy...” then he looked at me strangely, as if studying me...

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“It’s just... If she doesn’t choose me... You deserve her more than most guys.” he said slowly.

I jumped up quickly and said “What are you talking about? Seriously, there’s nothing going on.”

“Aw well. I know a couple when I see it...” he said sadly.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I said quietly as he walked away.

“Well, I don’t really know, but if f he was that unspecific, you’ll probably find out soon.” said Alec

“Maybe...” I replied.

“You never really know with that guy...”

“Hey (1)! I knew you’d be here!” said Dawn from right behind me.

“How did you know-” Alec begun to say.

“Okay, meet me in the parking lot 5 minutes after school ends, okay?” Dawn said, completely ignoring him.

“Yeah, yeah.” I replied.

“Good.” she said, and walked away into the crowded hall.

“What’s up with her?” asked Alec

“Who knows?” I replied

“Aw well, thanks for the sandwich, you read my mind to find out I was hungry, didn’t you?”

“Yeah, I did,” I said, feeling ashamed that I had done this to my only friend... wait... I read his mind... in a crowded place?

“I did...” I mumbled

“Whats with your change in mood all the sudden?”

“Change in... mood?” I mumbled, then the bell rang and I jumped to my senses.

“Come on, we need to get to class.”

“Okay, okay.”

Then the headache came back. I struggled to look normal, and barely made it to class. The next two periods went by slower than I thought possible... When school ended, I begun walking to the parking lot. That is, until I got a text from Dawn. It read: Meet me at the library instead.

“Can’t make up her mind, can she...” I mumbled to myself, and walked to the library.

I sat there for awhile, then realized I wasn’t hearing any one's thoughts... But, just like when you realize you’re dreaming, I woke up. Once I thought about the fact that I couldn’t hear anyone else's thoughts, my own thoughts echoed in my head. I barely maintained sitting upright, and could not hide my pained expression... Thankfully I don’t think anyone saw me.

“Okay, if I go in fast enough, I can get the target and get back out before anyone can stop me! I only have 3 rounds and this is the lowest caliber there is... so I better make them last.Judging from how much I’m getting for killing this kid, he must be dangerous...” I heard from outside the library through the other thoughts.
“Crap.” I thought and ran to the door. I got to it just as it opened, and a gun entered before the person. I pushed it to the side as fast as I could, but I wasn’t fast enough. a bullet grazed my waist.
“YOU SON OF A BITCH!” I yelled, and fell to my knees. the excruciating pain consumed my mind. I was going to die... well, I’d better go down with a bang. I must have had an adrenaline rush, because I remember the pain stopped then. He tried to raise the gun, but with all the strength and willpower I had left, I held it in place, so that he couldn't hit anyone else.
“Damn!” the man yelled, and then he punched me with his free hand.

“What the hell are you standing there for? RUN!” I yelled. As people ran to the other exit, the man shot again and it grazed my hip. I pushed the gun down as much as I could, trying to give them as much chance as possible. He punched me again, and I heard the last thought fade in the distance. We were alone now. I put thoughts of the gun aside, and aimed straight for his face. In his moment of shock, I grabbed the gun and hit him in the face with the handle.
As I begun to limp away, he said:

“Didn’t think I’d come here with just a gun, did you?” I turned around, and saw him holding a knife, I held the gun aimed at him, and he had the knife aimed ready to throw. It was almost a stalemate, I could tell from his thoughts that he didn’t want to die, but he also wanted to kill me, if he threw the knife, I would shoot him, whether I could hit him or not didn’t matter. The risk stopped him. But I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I didn’t think I’d be able to kill him unless it was certain that he would kill me otherwise. It just wasn’t me... I was starting to get dizzy, fast. I aimed as best I could, and shot at the knife. Instead I hit his hand.

“YOU BASTARD!” he yelled as he fell to the ground clutching his hand. I crawled to the exit with all my strength. Almost there... Just a little further... That was when I blacked out.

Chapter 8

I woke up to hearing various voices, which I soon remembered were thoughts, but strangely without a headache...

“Where... am I?” I mumbled

“The hospital. Next time there’s a shooter, just do what they say, and no one will get hurt.” my mother said.

“But he was going to kill someone!”

“What?”

“He thought that right before he came in, that’s how I got to the entrance so fast, I started running before he was even in the room.”

“What?” crap, I was found out.

“Nothing!”

“No, you definitely just-”

“You have another visitor. He’d like to speak in private.” a nurse said from behind a curtain.

My mom glared at me for a second, then left.

“Thanks, you saved... me... Tony?”

“Dawn hasn’t been seen since the day you got shot. I called her phone and it said it was out of service.” said Tony

“The day I got shot? How long have I been out?”

“A one and a half weeks. It was the lowest caliber bullet, and didn’t hit any organs thankfully, so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.”

“Wow... Must have been pretty close...”

“Not really... Your mom insisted that you stay unconscious until you were not in as much pain. No matter how many times they told her that medicine would numb it.

“Wait... She sent me a text telling me to meet her in the library but she never showed up... do you think she sent-”

“No chance. Don’t even think she’d do that.”

“Then what do you think that assassin guy came-”

“Wow wow wow, slow down... He was an assassin?”
“Well he was referring to someone as ‘the target’ so, I ‘m pretty sure they weren’t just a normal shooter.”
“So it is true...”
“What’s true?”

“You have her power.”

“How did you-”

“I have a power of my own, that’s why you can’t read my mind.”

“What?”

“I call it ‘truth’.”

“Truth? But aren’t they all the same?”

“No, there are a whole variety.”

“Wow... So what does yours do?”

“It is called truth because I have the ability to know if someone is lying, with it comes the complete understanding of human psychology.”

“That’s how you’re so good at card games and stuff... But isn’t Dawn more important right now?”

“Right, what was that you said about a text?”

“She told me to meet her in the parking lot after school, then sent me a text saying to go to the library instead.”

“Let me see your phone...”

“Okay.” I said, then looked around and begun to lean over to get it, when Tony stopped me.

“I’ll get it.”

“Okay, I’ll get it to the text memory.” I said when he handed it to me.
I clicked a few buttons, then handed it to him. He gasped.
“She didn’t write this, we both know she can’t spell that well.”

“You’re right... But if she didn’t send it, who did?”

“I don’t know, but if they have her phone, and she’s missing, they may have her.” he said, then hit buttons continuously for at least a minute, before I said:

“What are you doing?”

“Almost done...”

“With what?”

“There.” he said, then smiled and pushed a button.

“What did you do?”

“Sent them a message- it’s better if you don’t know what it is...”

“Why’s that?”

“Because they have powers too. In fact, they will soon arrive.”

“You have another visitor. He’d like to speak in private.” said the nurse.

“Okay. You’d better go.” I said to Tony

“Okay.” he said, and set my phone down on the table. A moment later I felt all dizzy, and sat there for a moment.

“Aren’t you going to send someone in?” I asked.

“What are you talking about?” the nurse replied.

“You just said that there was someone who wanted to talk to me in private.”

“That was 10 minutes ago. And he left. He said something about saving a girl...”

“He’s going alone? That idiot... huh?” I said, then curiously picked up my phone, which I noticed was currently on the line with someone. I raised it to my ear, but no one was talking on the other end. I hung up after listening to the silence on the other end for a bit, and looked to see who called last. A message from Dawn at 4:27 a week ago...? I hit the button to listen to it, but I couldn’t barely hear it. Why not...? I turned up the volume, which was off for some reason... then I replayed the message.

“(1), where are you? Sorry I couldn’t call earlier, I think I left my phone in my last class, because that’s where I found it... Anyway, you better get here soon, or I’ll-” the next word was cut off by a bang, and she said “HOLY SHIT! What the hell just happened! I’ll call you back, I just heard something in the library!” Her voice yelled from the phone. Would these be the last words I’d hear her say? No. I will save her, with Tony’s help if that’s what it takes. I sat up and looked around. there weren’t any crutches... Well, my legs aren’t a problem... I just need to worry about getting out of here undetected. How much pain will I be in?

I tried to get up but my finger was connected to one of those I.V. things.

“I’m going to regret this later.” I thought, and pulled it out of my finger, I would be back in pain in just a few minutes, less if I ran.... I stood up and looked out the window. Three story drop, not the ideal escape route... I walked through the curtain, and walked past the nurse.

“You’re not permitted to leave here yet!” she said.

“I don’t care.” I replied.

“Get back here!” she said, but I just kept walking. I reached the elevator, and hit the down arrow. that wasn’t so hard, was it? But when the door opened, I was pulled backward by someone, probably the nurse.

“Don’t you dare!” she said, but when the elevator door begun to close, I broke from her grasp and dove between the doors.

“Perfect.” said someone standing above me. he was carrying a huge duffel bag, and had the darkest black hair I had ever seen, even more dark than Dawn’s. He also kind of had a look in his eyes I had not seen before, almost a look of peace... Then he hit the fire alarm. I stood up and was about to reach over to turn off the alarm and hit the 1st floor button, when he held his hand directly in front of where I was going to reach.

“Hold on a second.” then I realized I couldn’t read his mind.

“Why can’t I read y-”

“Why else?”

“You’re-”

“No, I’m not like you, I’m different, not only because of what my power does, but also because of the fact that I am able to keep my power a secret.” he said through clenched teeth.

“What do you-”

“I mean that the reason she’s been kidnapped and the reason they tried to assassinate you was because you couldn’t keep your big mouth shut.”

“Why are you helping-”

“They’re after psychics- we have to work together, no matter how stupid some of us are. (he took this moment to glare at me) This is you’re mess, I’m going to make you do as much of the work as possible , but you need a little push to get the job done right.” he said, and then put the fire alarm back to off. Then he did something I never would have guessed he’d do. He hit the top floor button.

“What are you-” I begun to say

“If we’re going to escape from this place, we need to do it in a way which is fool proof... I think jumping off the roof is the best way. The bottom floor is probably packed by now and there is going to be at least one person at the elevator on every floor by now.” He interrupted. then opened the duffel bag, to reveal two small parachutes.

“But I’ve never used a parachute before in my life!” I said

“Then you’d better not mess up. Open the parachute when I tell you to, like this.” he said indicating how to open the parachute. Then he begun walking to the door just before the elevator stopped.

“How can I be sure I’ll be okay?”

“Just do EXACTLY as I do.”

“I’ll try.” I said, then we ran over to the edge of the building.

“You ready for this?”

“I don’t have much of a choice, do I?

“Okay, I’m going to jump, you go over there and jump a half a second after me. open your parachute when I do. It’ll give you a bit of time to react.” then he jumped. I waited half a second, then jumped. I looked at him while falling, and waited until he opened his parachute, and I did as soon after as I could. I slowed down and fell slowly for a few seconds. Okay, that could have gone a lot worse...

“You okay?” I asked.

“Fine. How about you?” he replied

“Yeah, other than the lack of pain medication... Any idea where Dawn is?”

“No. But I think Tony does.”

“I’ll call him.”

“No. If you call him, they can find out where he is. They have people everywhere.”

“Then how do we find him?”

“A public phone, make your conversation short, and speak in code as much as you can.”

“Okay.” I found a payphone, and the man inserted the minimum amount of money into the machine.

“Hey Tony, it’s (1), did Dawn ever tell you where I got my power?”

“Yes.”

“Meet me there.” I said, and hung up.

“Nice job.” the man said.

“What’s your name?”

“(5)”

“Okay. Where’s-”

“Follow me.” he said, and led me to his car.

“So, how far is it to the convention?”

“Not that far from here I don’t think.”

“Okay, well lets get going, we don’t have all day.”

“Now you’re seeming a bit less stupid don’t be so impatient around people you don’t know... I can be an exception, since you do know me in a way...”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ll tell you later.”

“Okay...” I said. About an hour later, we arrived. When I exited the car, I felt a large sum of pain in my hip and waist, and fell to my knees.

“Damn.”

“Here. This will help.” he said, and injected a blue fluid into my arm using a syringe.

“Huh? It does... Why is it working so fast? What is this stuff?”

“A strictly government issued pain reliever. I got it from friend of mine. Sadly, that’s my last one. It lasts for 3 days though, and increases cell production, so you’ll heal much faster now. The pain probably won’t even be there in 3 days. Okay, let’s find them then.” It took a moment to locate Tony. I walked over to him and said:

“Do you know where Dawn is?”

“All thanks to you.” he replied

“Huh?”

“The reason your phone was on was because I made it leave a message on my phone.”

“A message?”

“Yes, I muted your phone and called mine. When they entered your room, you answered all the questions they asked you. When they left, your memory was erased. That’s how his power works...”

“I wouldn’t just answer any question they asked me!”

“Yes you would, no one is immune to his power.”

“So... where’s Dawn?” in response, he took his phone out of his pocket, and hit a few buttons, then I heard a voice come from the phone...

“You have another visitor. He’d like to speak in private.” said the nurse’s voice.

“Okay. You’d better go.” I heard my voice say to Tony

“Okay.” Tony’s voice said from the phone. A moment later, I heard another voice.

“(1), how nice to see you. You are proving to be quite interesting. You will feel a bit dizzy afterward, but I’m afraid I have to ask you a few questions.” said a voice with no emotion but a trace of hostility that sent shivers down my spine.

“Any question will be answered with full honesty, sir.” I heard my own voice say.

“Good... what is your relationship with Dawn?”

“I got my power to read minds from her. We aren’t even really friends other than that.”

“Ah, then you are not the one... I wonder who is... Pity. That would save me the time of hunting him down. What do you plan to do when you get out of the hospital?”

“Save Dawn.”

“But you’re just friends?”

“Yes.”

“You just said you weren’t friends.”

“It’s more like a forced friendship...”

“It seems emotion plays a roll even when under this trance... she’s heavily guarded. In a training center 500 miles west of here. The password to her cell is 592.” he said then laughed evilly. “Too bad you won’t remember!” he said, and laughed harder, and more evilly. Then there were footsteps of him leaving the room.

“Aren’t you going to send someone in?” my voice asked.

“What are you talking about?” the nurse’s voice replied.

“You just said that there was someone who wanted to talk to me in private.”

“That was 10 minutes ago. And he left. He said something about saving a girl...”

“He’s going alone? That idiot... huh?” then after a moment the message ended.

“I see I underestimated you.” I said.

“It’s more that … I’ve encountered them before.” said Tony

“Them?”

“Other psychics exist, all over the world... a secret organization seeks to capture all of them.”

“How many psychics are there?”

“At least 10000, when these people kidnapped me, I saw some things they didn’t want me to see.”

“Like?”

“Files. I got some on a USB before I left, somehow. Some guy helped me. I think his name was... (5).”

“Huh? Then that was-” I said, and turned around. (5) and the car were gone.

“What?”

“Damn!”

“What’s wrong, (1)?”

“The guy who drove me here said his name was (5).”

“Did he constantly interrupt you?”

“Yeah! How did you know!”

“He has the ability to see the future, but can never turn it off, the closest he can get to not using it is to see 1 second into the future, so he interrupts people since he can always tell what they’re going to say.”

“You know your stuff.”

“Yep.”

“So what was on those files?”

“I don’t want to think about it. I’ll just say this: any psychic in their hands is in deep shit.”

“Then I guess I’d better just find out after we rescue Dawn...”

“Yeah...”

“Okay, let’s go! What’s the fastest way to get there?” just after I said this, Tony smiled.

“By plane of course.”

“How are we going to manage that?”

“We’ll figure it out..”

“Hopefully.” I muttered to myself.

“Follow me.” Tony said, and begun walking away.
I followed him, and we entered the currently vacant convention building.

“Whys there no one here?”

“Must be empty on weekends...” said Tony, but he sounded unsure.

“So what are we looking for?”

“A plane. There’s bound to be one somewhere. It did say they had the fastest plane in the world here in the brochure.”

“We’re just going to steal it?”

“Well, how else are we going to get there?”

“Like this.” A voice said from behind me. Then I was hit in the back of the head with something and was launched forward. Out cold.

Chapter 9

“Why does this keep happening to me...” I mumbled

“Shut up and keep sleeping.” said a deep loud voice.

“Huh?” And as I said this, I was hit on the head with something hard and metal.

“Are you listening to me?” I now had my eyes open, and saw a large man, at least 6 ft and well built. But the look on his face was not as menacing as most people like him. So he was probably a bit less instinctive than the others.

“No, I don’t like listening to tyrants.”

“What did you just say!”

“I’m saying that if you really wanted it to be quiet, you wouldn’t yell. Furthermore, by your tone, you just want an excuse to hit someone. Confront your problems, don’t take out your anger out on others.”

“I really want to hit this kid but that would basically be admitting he’s right. Damn! I hate logic.” He thought.

“Well, regardless of whether you want to admit it or not, we both know the ride to where ever we’re going will go by faster if we talk a bit instead of just sitting here. You choose the subject.”

“Okay, fine. I hate to admit it but if I were to knock you out right now or ignore you this would go by a lot slower.” he replied.

“Okay, what do you want to talk about?”

“Hmmmm... Why’d they capture you?”

“I’m trying to save someone. Apparently she’s at a training facility.”

“Why’d you need to save her from training? It’s not like they can force her to train.”

“That’s true, but a friend of mine said something that made saving her an even higher priority for me.”

“What was that?”

“He said ‘any psychic in their hands is in deep shit.’” When I said this, the blood faded from his face.

“Why? What do they do to them!” he said urgently, suddenly entirely serious.

“I don’t know! He wouldn’t tell me! All he said was that he didn’t want to think about it.”

“Oh...”

“Hey, since it doesn’t really matter at this point whether I know or not, where are we going?”

“A training facility.”

“Okay.”

“Hey kid... If you do escape... Take as many people who want to leave as you can.” the man whispered to me.

“You can count on it.”

“Good. If you can... I’ll make it up to you one day, no matter what it takes.” then the vehicle we were in stopped.

“Goodbye, Mr. anti-logic!”

“Later, kid.” he said, as I left the truck. Just as I stepped out of the truck, I heard him whisper:

“Good luck...” I smiled. A complete stranger had faith in me... Why? Guess it’s probably his gut or something... But why was he so serious all of a sudden when I mentioned what Tony said?

“Come on kid, we don’t have all day!”

“Sorry.” I said, and continued walking. It was a long, dimly lit hallway. It probably had at least 200 cells. When I was about half way through, they opened a cell and pushed me into it, closing the doors behind me.

“Hello.” a girl’s voice said once the guards were out of earshot.

“Huh? Who’s there?”

“Just me. You can’t see me because I’m invisible.”

“Cool!”

“Shhh! Not so loud, you idiot!”

“Sorry...”

“It’s okay, just try not to do it again.”

“Got it.”

“So, what’s your power?”

“Well, since you can clearly tell I have one, I guess it’s okay to tell you...”

“Well?”

“I can read minds.”

“Interesting... What am I thinking right now?”

“I don’t know, it only works on people without powers...”

“Then you’re not that far yet...”

“What?”

“Oh, never mind that...”

“So... Um, why are you here? From the direction and volume of your voice I can tell you’re not in a cell, why didn’t you escape?”

“I can’t leave anyone here!”

“Huh?”

“I’d never forgive myself if I left any psychic here who wasn’t a traitor behind.”

“Oh...”

“My goal in life right now is to destroy every last person responsible for the kidnappings who weren’t brainwashed or blackmailed,” she said, and tightened her fist, “And make sure no psychics are kidnapped again.”

“Wait... I can... See you...?” and I could, she looked similar to Dawn, but she was shorter, and her hair was brown and only went down to her shoulders. She had dark, dark blue eyes. Eyes with a hint of sorrow, her face and body positions showed that she was struggling to maintain a normal expression.

“Huh?”

“You just tightened your fist.”

“Hmmmmm...”

“Yeah?”

“Oh, that just happens when I’m lacking in focus...” she said, and faded back to being invisible.

“Okay. Um, what’s your name?”

“Snow.”

“Mine is (1).”

“Well, we’d better come up with a plan. There was a girl who had the ability of ‘calculate’. It’s pretty rare.”

“Calculate?”

“It’s one of the powers that you get if you lose your first power. Supposedly if your power gets transferred to someone else, it means that it was supposed to be theirs in the first place.”

“Huh? So that means this power...”

“What?”

“Oh, I got my power from her. I think... Could be someone else... Does she have really pale skin and long black hair?”

“Y-yeah!”

“Okay, try 592 to open her cell.”

“How do you know for sure that that’s the password?”

“A friend of mine tricked one of the people working with them into telling us.”

“Without them noticing? Wow...”

“Apparently they told me just for the sake of irony, before they erased my memory of meeting them. But he got it on recording.”

“What’s his name?”

“Tony.”

“Okay, I’m going to go... uh... Get a feel of the building.”

“Hm? Okay.”

“I’ll have a plan by tomorrow night.”

“Huh?”

“See you later!” she said, a moment later, I knew she had left... But I had never heard her footsteps...

“Hey kid, who were you talking to?” said the man in the next cell over.

“Snow.”

“Oh, what about?” he said, unconvinced, but I decided to go with it.

“We want to get all the psychics out of here safely.”

“Good. what is your power?” when he said this, I thought for a second... well, I’ll just get him to tell me his too...

“I can read minds of people who don’t have powers. What’s yours?”

“I can tell what a person’s priorities are, so in a way I read their subconscious thoughts. But mine works on everyone, so I can tell that you want to save a girl that...”

“That what?”

“You’re her one?”

“People have been saying that.”

“Kid, you have to get out of here fast! If they find out, you’re dead. Don’t even tell them that you haven’t always had your power. They mustn't know.”

“Okay, I won’t let them know, but why is it so urgent?”

“All of the scientists and instructors have the same goal as their highest priority: ‘To learn how to transfer powers from one being to another’ they also intend to use psychics and their ‘the ones’ to learn how. They’ll keep experimenting until they find a way or you die. If you die, they’ll just find someone else...”

“Well, I’d better watch my back then. Thanks for the heads up.”

“No problem, just helping someone like me so they don’t end up like this...”

“Someone like you?”

“Well, when I was younger... I was a girl’s ‘the one’ as well. But we were captured. they experimented on us, and... eventually... Their experiments were too extreme and she died in one. They no longer had any use for me, but they couldn’t just get rid of me, they could have killed me, but then they’d have lost a valuable power.”

“Why didn’t they need you anymore?”

“They can only study one person’s power in another person while both of them are still alive.”

“It looks like I’d better not be pushy about this subject, so lets just talk about something else... So how do I pass time here?”

“Think of how to escape. Think of as many ways to escape as possible, and carve them in your mind.” I thought about what he just said for a little bit. Then I remembered something Snow said earlier.

“What does ‘calculate’ do?”

“It gives you the ability to answer any question correctly if it can be answered using numbers only.”

“Wow... sounds like it could be very useful if you asked the right questions.”

“Yes. That was always the problem...”

“Oh, this is back to that subject again... Sorry. I’m just going to get some sleep.”

“Me too.” and then I walked over to the corner, and lay down on the cold cement floor.

“These bastards! They’re treating us like animals... We don’t even get beds! I’m going to make them pay if it’s the last thing I do!” I screamed in my head.

Chapter 10

“Wake up, kid. The guards are assholes if you don’t get up on time.”

“Okay...” I said, and got up.

“I see your resolve has changed. But remember why you aren’t going to leave the moment you get the chance.”

“I will. I’m getting out of here asap, and I’m taking everyone else who isn’t here voluntarily with me.”
“Make sure to live up to that- it would be hard, but it would be worth it. I’m sure you’ve had someone help you without them gaining anything for themselves. Why don’t you try it. Because in the end, you will gain something: allies.”

“I’ll remember that.”

“Good.” then we heard the guards’ footsteps, and I stood up.

“This way, please.” the guard said, pointing to my left.

“Got it.” I said, and walked that way. I followed them for awhile, until they opened a door, and pushed me into a room. I looked around and saw that I was in a white room, full of mostly people that I could tell were psychics because I couldn’t hear their thoughts.

Do you then another person came in. I could tell from his thoughts that he was the instructor, and from the fact that I could read his thoughts, that he didn’t have any powers.

“Do you know why you are all here?” he said when he entered the room

“You got bored of harassing the same innocent people?” I said, not caring what he did, only thinking that they were going down in the end.

“No. You are here because anyone with a power is a threat to our operation.”

“Then that would include you too, although you can’t remember it, can you?” Someone said from the back of the room. He looked about 17 or so, and was pretty tall, he had a medium build, and had short black hair.

“What are you talking about? Referring to me as one of those freaks? How dare you!” the man yelled, and punched him in the face. Then he walked backward slowly, and had a look of deepest loathing on his face, but it was not directed at the person he had just punched, it was directed at someone apparently not in the room, because he then sprinted out of the room, and the person he punched picked up a card his attacker had dropped and walked over to me.

“You’re... different.”

“Huh?”

“Hey kid, what’s your name?”

“(1)”

“Welcome to our group, (1), I’m (7). We’re group of psychics that have searched the world for places like this. Our goal is to let psychics roam the world freely, and we are the remnants of the people rescued from similar places, that decided to help our cause. We’re heavily guarded this time. It’ll be hard to figure out how to get out.”

“This invisible girl told me she’d help figure out how to get us out. She said her name was Snow.”

“Ah, you didn’t see her... How do you know it wasn’t an imposer?”

“I did for a second...”

“Really?”

“Yeah, she said it was because she lost focus...”

“Interesting...”

“Were you just talking about me?” said Snow, appearing to have popped out of no where.

“How did you get here... You didn’t even open the door!” I said

“Who are you talking to?” said someone behind (7).

“Snow, can’t you hear her?” I said.

“Of course they can’t... I’m... not real...” she said, sadly.

“What are you talking abou-” said another person behind (7).

“What do you mean your not real? You knew things that I didn’t, so you can’t just be a figment of my imagination!”

“I can only be heard by specific individuals... Those who have not had their power their whole lives...”

“Oh... Why?”

“Because... I am not a person.”

“Huh?”

“I am a person’s power.”

“WHAT?”

“In an experiment attempting to force the power out of my bearer, she died. To this day, they do not know that they succeeded. If they find out about my existence, they will keep trying that technique until they get it to work. Then all the psychics they have captured will be as good as dead.”

“Oh... is it okay with you for me to tell them?” I said, guessing that by ‘bearer’ she meant the person she was the power of.

“Sure. There are no cameras in this room.”

“Hey (7), Sorry about the awkwardness of this, but it’s kind of unavoidable. Snow says that she is a person’s power, forced out of her bearer’s body by experiments conducted by scientists here. But her bearer died in the process.”

“That’s... Sad...” said (7)

“How do we know he's telling the truth?” One of the people standing behind him said.

“Oh yeah, your the newbie... His power is... Complicated to explain.” someone else said

“I call it “remember and forget” It’s memory control... Sort of... I have the ability to view all the memories another person has had in their entire life in less than a second just by looking at them. While in physical contact with someone, I can make them remember or forget things that happened to them in the past. I can’t modify existing memories though. It’s very helpful when allies have had part of their memories erased, or I find another psychic that’s had their memory modified. I’ll also be able to see Snow through your eyes.” Said (7)

“Wow...”

“Yeah, so this... Snow... Did she find out a way for us to get everyone in here out?” asked (7).

“I have! All we need to do is go to Dawn’s cell, get her out, and then hold off the guards while she gets everyone out!” Said Snow, happily.

“How do you suppose we get her out, then?” said (7).

“His friend tricked one of their agents into telling them the combination without him even realizing he'd told them.” said Snow.

“Interesting... How good at memory manipulation is he?” (7) replied.

“He’s not. He didn't even have to use his power, which has nothing to do with memory, to figure it out. He used the agent's overconfidence against him.” I said.

“Cool. He can join too. He sounds usefulll.”

“Well, Snow, if it’s not too much of me to ask, I have two questions: What’s the safest way to Dawn’s cell, and is it possible to escape with everyone and not leave anyone behind?”

“Well, this will be a multiple step process. Step one: Turn off all the electricity in a way that it can be reactivated but not fixed instantly. Step two: Get the combination for every cell here from the girl with calculate while the power is off. Step three: Position someone at every cell, and wait until the power is turned back on. When it’s turned on, open all the cells as fast as possible .” said Snow

“Great! I never would have thought of that! When do we start?” I said

“Now.” I heard Snow reply.

“What?” said (7).

“(7), follow me, and tell everyone who has a navigational or mechanical understanding related power to find the power center and shut down the power in a way I described just now. When they’re done they come and find us. Everyone else follow you. I’ll take you to cell of the calculating girl.” said Snow

“Okay, all of you that can turn off the power quickly in a way that it can be turned back on easily, or you can help find it, head to the electrical room, why you’re done, come find us. Everyone else, follow me.” said (7), and Snow begun walking toward the door. I followed her out of the door, and we turned right then left then straight then right again, and on and on it went until I lost track of where I was completely. After what seemed like an hour, we reached Dawn’s cell.

“(1)!” she said, tears coming to her eyes.

“Dawn!” I said, and ran over to her cell.

“You’re okay! I thought you were...”

“It’s okay! I’m fine. You’re fine! And we may be able to get everyone out of here!”

“H-How?” She said, and her face brightened a little.

“It’s a long, complicated process. First, we wait for-” I begun to say, then the power went out. I smiled, and said:

“That.” then a light came on behind me, and was not surprised to see (7) holding a flashlight aimed at Dawn.

“Okay, is this the chick you were talking about,” said (7), and I nodded slowly, and then he said, “Okay, what are the numbers for the cells. Write them down, starting at the side of the door we entered through.”

“Can’t you at least let me out first?” she asked, clearly on the verge of yelling.

“Not while the power is out. Write the cell numbers on the left column and the access codes on the right.” (7) replied, and passed a small notepad and pencil to her through the food slot.

“Fine. I’d better get a lot of thanks later or I won’t have anything to do with you after this.” she said, looking at me through teary eyes.

“Wasn’t my plan, but oh well...” I replied, and we stood there for a few minutes silently as she wrote down the cell numbers and the corresponding lock combinations...

“Done.” she said, and slid the notepad and pencil back out the food slot. This reminded me of how evil these people were... I tightened my fist, clenched my teeth, and thought to myself: these bastards are going to pay! Then the people behind us lined up along the wall, one standing at each cell.

“Are you sure we have enough people?” I asked, unsure of whether we could really pull this off.

“Just hold on a second. The rest of our group will be back soon...” (7) replied.

“Oh, I see... who’s going to figure out how we’re going to get out of here?”

“That’s simple. Just a touch of dynamite will do the trick”

“Okay...”

“Anyway, is everyone ready?”

“I am.” I said.

“When you are.” said one of the group members.

“Your the boss.” said another.

“I think that should just about do it...” said a third, coming through the door we’d come into the room from; followed by about 20 other people.

“They put some duds in here... Make sure not to let them escape.” said the man in the cell next to Dawn’s

“What?” asked (7).

“He’s right... I’ll cross out the ones that are untrustworthy.” said Dawn, and (7) passed the notebook to her through the food slot. About 30 seconds later she handed the notebook and pencil back.

“Okay...” said (7), “Wait... Why are there so few?”

“I guess there are just a lot of duds...” the man in the cell next to dawn’s said.

“Hurry up! What are you waiting for?” asked Dawn.

“We’re waiting for the power to be turned back on...” said (7). Just a second after, it did.

“Okay, now get us out!” the man said... But his voice sounded strange... Something was off... I approached the cell, and asked for the access code from Dawn.

Sorry about it kinda being cut off. I'm working on it but this is what I have right now. I'm adding more and trying to extend what I already have, as I am lacking in descriptive detail...
Last edited by IKnowAll on Sat May 14, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-Mark Twain

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 am
View Likes
Soulkana says...

I’ve made a friend in my first week, all was well. I was completely normal. That is, until the day when my disregard of superstition was shattered... It all started one morning when (2), a friend of mine, was walking to the wrong side of the school for first period. As I approached I could tell he was deep in thought.

“What has you thinking?” I asked him, walking beside him.

“Rumors.” he muttered quietly, so much so in fact, that I could barely hear.

“About?”

“A girl, her name is (3). She has straight A’s without studying and won a beauty pageant while frowning. Half the guys in the school have the hots for her.”

“Ohhhhh, the one with that never smiles?”

“You’ve met her?”

“Not exactly, she’s in my science class, but I‘ve never talked to her.”

“She seams kind of lonely.

“Yeah. I’ve only been here for a week and I already feel sad just looking at her. It’s always nice to see someone like that smile…”

“Like what?”

“Someone who doesn’t know what it’s like to be happy.”

“Yeah…”

“So what were you thinking about?”

“Well, she has a reputation of denying any guy before he even asks her out, they don’t even ask, they say one word to her and she just says ‘You’re not the one’.”

“Like a snowflake- beautiful but cold.”

“I’m serious... One time a guy did get pretty far with her, then she dumped him. He said it was but a moment after he thought something about another girl.”

“Don’t believe such nonsense. Mind reading is impossible.”

“I don’t know, but I’m afraid of her.”

“Come on, let’s go.”

“Crap! you’re right, the bell just rang!”

We ran to our classes and I got in my seat just as the bell rang. Yet again the teacher shook in frustration at me escaping a tardy by less than a second. The class went by quickly, I got all my notes down, and finished my homework before the end of class. But I couldn’t help looking at that girl, (3), every once in awhile. What was up with all those ridiculous rumors? Why was she so popular among the guys? Were they really that weak to good looks? She was good looking though, no one can deny it honestly. Her long black hair extended to her mid back and her pale skin was free of acne. Her frown could make anyone sad though…

When I got home, I sat there thinking for awhile, until the phone rang and I answered it.

“Hello, is (1) there?” said (2).

“Speaking,” I replied.

Okay. There’s this totally cool convention going on tomorrow, and there are supposed to be psychics there, at least come to see them, if they’re not really psychics nothing will change. What do you have to lose?”

“I’ll ask my parents.”

“YAY!”

“Are you going to pick me up then?”

“Technically that would be illegal but my dad is if that’s what you mean.”

Ha ha.”

“Okay, see you tomorrow.”

“If it’s fine with my parents, sure.”

“Great.”

And as fate had decided, my parents authorized it.

That was the last day I functioned as a normal human being.

Well must say I really liked this. The plot was interesting but what's with the (2) things? Is that because you can't think of a name or something? Also you should look at capitalizing your first words in your sentences and using punctuation at the end. I really liked this. Nice description and things but I think you could add more to this. Such as surroundings and more descriptions of the characters. It is really well done but you can always add more to this. Keep up the good work and Happy Writing. May you receive many helpful reviews and Sayonara!
Soulkana<3
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri May 13, 2011 3:21 am
View Likes
IKnowAll says...

Thanks for the review, you were right about the names... I thought of a few names but I'm still missing some. I'm debating whether I should "edit" it and add in the rest of what I have... I intended to put in the individual chapters, but it's like 23 pages in size 12 font so I don't know if that would be a good idea... I agree about the descriptions though, the problem is I can't really picture the characters or anything...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-Mark Twain

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher