z

Young Writers Society

Picture Perfect

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:29 am
foreveradreamer says...

This is my first real article so please be brutally honest and review :) Also, if you see any grammar issues please notify me!

Today's media is packed with seemingly perfect women. Models are tall, beautiful, and of course thin. When many women, particularly young, see images of these thin girls they start comparing themselves to the models. Many often diet and exercise aiming to reach the thinness of model. What many don't know is that the model they strive to look like may be dangerously underweight.

The average weight of a model has significantly dropped over the past few decades. The average dress size dropping from a 4-6, down to a 4, and after that 2-0. Models feel the pressure to keep up with the decreasing sizes. Inga Radziejewski admits to eating only a half of an apple per day just to keep employed. Radziejewski, a former 5”10 runway model, explains why she allowed herself to drop down to 98 pounds. Radziejewski overheard a German casting director say that she had too big of a behind.

“I was already very skinny, but it made me even more determined to stay slim and I found every reason not to eat.” she stated. She also explained how these comments and the tiny clothes blinded her from seeing just how skinny she was.
Photographers are often disgusted by how unhealthy models look when they come in for an appointment. Some photographers are using photo-shop to make their models look larger instead of thinner. Leah Hardy, former cosmopolitan editor, admits to doing exactly that.

“Thanks to retouching our readers... never saw the horrible, hungry downside of skinny.” Hardy wrote. She describes the underweight models as having “Skeletal bodies [with] , dull, thinning hair.”

Hardy explains how the young beautiful girl featured on the cover of Health Magazine is often dull and lifeless off cover. Some models' diet only consists of soda, coffee, and vodka. They drink at a party, stay out late, and the next morning they grab some caffeine so they are able to stay awake during their photo-shoot. An unhealthy lifestyle such as this is what the media doesn't want you seeing, if you saw underweight models in the flesh you probably wouldn't want to look like them. This means that you probably wouldn't buy the clothes that model flaunted around just because they were advertising it.

Behind the glamorous photos and runways lies a business that can be cruel and harsh. Next time you pick up a magazine don't compare yourself to the girl whose photo is printed on the cover. While the girl on the cover may look amazing chances are the girl behind the camera doesn't look quite so amazing.

Citations:

Loder, Tom. "Former Cosmopolitan Editor Admits Airbrushing Underweight Models to Make Them Look Healthier." <http://zeldalily.com/index.php/2010/05/former-cosmopolitan-editor-admits-airbrushing-underweight-models-to-make-them-look-healthier/>.

Celebrity Health & Fitness. "Shocking Anorexic Model Details Pressure to be Thin"
<http://www.celebrityhealthfitness.com/1628/shocking-anorexic-model-details-pressure-to-be-thin>
Last edited by foreveradreamer on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:42 am
View Likes
SmylinG says...

I love this article. I think more topics like this should be discussed. Girls have such a tough time fitting into this image society expects them to be. Anything less of their ridiculous expectations is considered imperfect.

Newsflash, girls are imperfect! :P We come in various shapes and sizes and no height, weight, or body type is ever the same. The only way we can be consistantly "perfect" is if we reduce ourselves to nothing. Today's models are the perfect example of this pitiful attempt at perfection.

I think you did a great job in organizing your thoughts and main ideas. You didn't wander from the general idea and stayed on top of the main issue. Great job. I rate it a 4 out of 5, only because this rocked. Some little things I noticed that needed fixing:

Photographers are often disgusted by how unhealthy models look when they come in for an appointment.

Behind the glamorous photos and runways lies a business that can be cruel and harsh.

There's probably a few more nitpicks to be pointed out, but I'm way too caught up to ruin the praise this deserves. :D Awesome work.
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:47 am
Snoink says...

This is rather true! It's kind of scary how the media warps our perception of beauty, especially with photoshop and the like!

One thing that I would like is more citing of sources. Maybe it's because I am kind of a citations freak, but I would love to see where some of the stories and quotes are pulled out of.

Nice article!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Everything is a lot of things!
— Hank Green