z

Young Writers Society

Non-Cliched Beginnings

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:04 am
Sponson Light says...

How does one start off a story without a cliched beginning?
No "omg alarm clock" or "hi Im..." yeah...
Does one start off with a setting?
A narrative?
Or in the middle of a sequence and then back flashes?
Its for a little something on my bored times.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:09 am
The Silent Aviator says...

Personally, I prefer to immerse the reader in an action sequence or a flashback from the onset of the story.
Its how I usually write;just my opinion .

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:12 am
Sponson Light says...

Onset? Could you define that please. Im not that great in writing to know the definitions.
Do you think 3 frames are enough in a horizontal strip?
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:14 am
The Silent Aviator says...

Sorry.:)
Onset=beginning.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:47 am
Snoink says...

Well...

Don't worry about being "clichéd or not. It's important to think about in the editing process, yes, but to totally disregard an idea just because, from the beginning, it sounds a little clichéd, is too dramatic. Write first what goes in your head. If you write it well enough, even though the idea might be clichéd, the work will sound original.

So don't worry about it. Most of the stories you read are just the same plots with different ways of telling it.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:48 am
Elelel says...

I like to be ... interesting right at the beginning. I like to hook a little interest. Often I start with dialogue, sometimes full on action, once a suspenseful bit (which I quite enjoyed). The beginnings I hate the most are the beginnings for all the "Tomorrow When the War Began" books. I quite like the stories themselves, but the beginnings! Whenever I read one of them I have to skim read, or not even read, the first five pages of blah. It's usually not even relevent to the story. It's just rambling.

I could think of a few ways the "Hi! I'm ..." would be interesting. Probably not successful, but interesting.
Eg.
"Hi! I'm clutching a bloodied butcher's knife, and am standing right behind you!"
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:52 am
Snoink says...

My grandfather liked short beginnings. This was one of his suggestions:

"I like knives."

I still want to start a story like that...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:06 am
Elelel says...

That does sound fun!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:43 pm
Ani May Queen says...

Oh...I could do sooo many things with that "I like knifes" thing. Sadly though, they'd all would have one of my friends saying that. What does that tell you about my friends?

Anyways, try thinking of youir characters first. Once you've got them try putting them in the wierdest situation you can think of. For example:

:idea: In the middle of the highway, a chicken lands on your window
:idea: Getting sucked into a pokemon cartoon/video game
:idea: walking into school and everyone is wearing the same clothes and/or speaking a different language
:idea: You go downstairs and your mom is cooking breakfast in a suit of armor
:idea: walking into a ice cream palor and seeing a dentist chair in the middle of the room

Then just see where is goes from there!
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:31 am
Joeducktape says...

I usually start in an action scene or a sitting and pondering type position. I like to let my dialog speak more than my narrative at times, because if you explain everything with narrative, it sort of throws you off of the stories course and destracts you.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:57 am
mandeyy says...

Oooh first lines are soo fun .
There's a wonderful book out there that starts with the line , " When I was little , I used to think of ways I could kill my daddy . "

Rawr .

And as I almost exclusively write in first person , my writings often start with the character musing in a narrative for a few lines , then I open with some scene .
:D

i sleep under yer bed .

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina