z

Young Writers Society

Last - Chapter I

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:20 am
Winterblossoms says...

Chapter One - Sanctuary

The breeze swept his unruly hair away from his face and back again, making the rough strands brush harshly against his skin as he watched the sky from above the tall buildings. The scent of rain was in the air. Small, cold droplets of water were starting to pelt on the cemented block around him, but he did not mind. He continued to watch the sky. Heavy blankets of misty dark clouds engulfed showers and showers of bright, golden stars. The moon was nowhere to be seen. Humidity rose all around him, although the atmosphere was damp and cold.
He shivered in anticipation of the abounding storm.
Perched upon the precarious edge of the rooftop he was sitting on, he took a deep breath and sighed, his every inhale cold and biting. His feet dangled carelessly down the ledge, swinging, carefree, and without any restraint or nervousness in them.
He enjoyed watching everything from above, enjoyed the way how small people looked from such a high place, enjoyed the city lights. He enjoyed the wind, which howled and was starting to billow, threatening to push him off the edge and kill him.
A little bit of fear stirred inside his stomach, but he really was not afraid of the fall. He would actually enjoy the fall – the freedom of being able to release himself from the tension of keeping his feet on the ground all the time had always seemed quite exhilarating for him. What he feared was what happened after the fall, how much it would hurt afterwards. But that wasn’t what was playing on his mind right now.
He stared at his sneakers as if they were the most interesting things that were ever made in the world, deep in thought.
This building was abandoned.
He was abandoned.
This was his sanctuary.

The rain poured in hard.

He ached for warmth.
He was drenched to the bone, his wispy dark locks clinging to his subtle, tame countenance. Dark, sleepy eyes began to lose sight, muddled by the flowing rivulets of tears from the vast, ominous sky. Heavy eyelids began to slip close. Burdened shoulders began to slump down.
The rest of his body followed.
Blood splattered all over the wet pavement, dismembered flesh scattered along the walkway with it. Limbs sprawled over the asphalt, bent at unnatural, sickening angles.
Shadows abound amidst the silence of the storm, unseeing eyes following their every stir and shift; eyes that have seen more than what they should during their days of light.

Crimson flooded the canals near the sidewalk no longer.

He rose from his stupor and walked once again, casually, as if nothing had happened; his clothes thick with a gory mess that even the rain couldn’t disperse as quickly.
His eyes remained tinged with darkness.
He chased after the shadows.

The shadows chased him back.
Last edited by Winterblossoms on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Innuendo, oh my~ ♥

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 am
Octave says...

Comments in red. By the way, your avatar made me laugh out loud. :)

Winterblossoms wrote:Chapter One - Sanctuary

The breeze swept his unruly hair away from his face and back again, making the rough strands brush harshly I'm not too fond of the brush harshly. Show how the hair feels. But overall, I'm liking this sentence so meh. against his skin as he watched the sky from above the tall buildings. The scent of rain was in the air. Small, cold droplets of water were starting to pelt around the cemented block around him, but he did not mind. He continued to watch the sky. Heavy blankets of misty dark clouds engulfed showers and showers of bright, golden stars. Now this is beginning to get purply. But until there, the prose was beautifully atmospheric. The moon was nowhere to be seen. Humidity rose all around him, although the atmosphere was damp and cold. It cannot be humid and cold at the same time. Humid is hot due to the moisture in the air.
Perched upon the precarious edge of the rooftop he was upon Repetition of the word upon, he took a deep breath and sighed, his every breath (inhale sounds weird) cold and biting. His feet dangled carelessly down the ledge, swinging, carefree, and without any restraint or nervousness in them.
He enjoyed watching everything from above, enjoyed the way people looked small from such a high place, enjoyed the city lights, enjoyed the wind, which howled and was starting to billow, threatening to push him off the edge and kill him. God, I love that sentence. O.O A little bit of fear stirred inside his stomach, but he really was not afraid of the fall. He would actually enjoy the fall – the freedom of being able to release himself from the tension of keeping his feet on the ground all the time had always seemed quite exhilarating for him. If you used your here, you broke the fourth wall, which you did. It pushed me out of the story. What he feared was what happened after the fall, how much it would hurt afterward. But that wasn’t what was playing in his mind right now.
He stared absently at his sneakers as if they were the most interesting things that were ever made in the world, deep in thought. You cannot stare at something absently and say that it's the most interesting thing in the world. Pick one. Either would work.

He was abandoned.

This was his sanctuary.

The rain poured in hard.

He ached for warmth.

He was drenched to the bone, his wispy dark locks clinging to his subtle, tame countenance. Dark, sleepy orbs Again you crossed the line into purple prose with the "dark sleepy orbs". I thought they were actual orbs. >>" began to lose sight, muddled by the flowing rivulets of tears from the vast, ominous sky. Heavy eyelids began to slip close. Heavy shoulders began to slump down. Heavy here is repetitive, somewhat annoyingly but changing it isn't necessary because though it's somewhat annoying, it works pretty well.
Blood splattered all over the wet pavement, shattered asphalt and bone scattered along the walkway with it. I don't think the asphalt would really shatter. His bones probably won't fly away either. Just bend at unnatural angles.
Shadows abound amidst the silence of the storm, unseeing eyes following their every stir and shift; eyes that have seen more than what they should during their days of light.

He rose from his stupor and walked once again, casually, as if nothing had happened; his clothes thick with a gory mess that even the rain couldn’t disperse as quickly.

...I LOVE THIS. And I don't say that often.

But is this really where the story begins? 0o Also, a few times there your tense shifted so you better watch for that. And beware of crossing into purple prose.

Yours truly,

Kara
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:07 am
Apple says...

Last - Chapter I Review

Spoiler! :
The breeze swept his unruly hair away from his face and back again, making the rough strands brush harshly against his skin as he watched the sky from above the tall buildings. The scent of rain was in the air. Small, cold droplets of water were starting to pelt around the cemented blocks around him, but he did not mind. He continued to watch the sky. Heavy blankets of misty dark clouds engulfed showers and showers of bright, golden stars. The moon was nowhere to be seen. Humidity rose all around him, although, the atmosphere was damp and cold.

Perched upon the precarious edge of the rooftop he was upon, he took a deep breath and sighed, his every inhale cold and biting. His feet dangled carelessly down the ledge, swinging, carefree, and without any restraint or nervousness in them.

He enjoyed watching everything from above, enjoyed the way how small people looked from such a high place, enjoyed the city lights, enjoyed the wind; which howled try Howlinginsteadand was starting to billowTry threatening. Sorry, I just think you can shorten the word limit :) , threatening to push him off the edge and kill him.
Space here.
A little bit of fear stirred inside his stomach, but he really was not afraid of the fall. He would actually enjoy the fall – the freedom of being able to release yourself from the tension of keeping your feet on the ground all the time had always seemed quite exhilarating for him. What he feared was what happens after the fall, how much it would hurt afterwards. But that isn’t what was playing in his mind right now.

He stared absently at his sneakers as if they were the most interesting things that were ever made in the world, deep in thought.

He was abandoned.

This was his sanctuary.

The rain poured in hard.

He ached for warmth.

He was drenched to the bone, his wispy dark locks clinging to his subtle, tame countenance. Dark, sleepy orbs began to lose sight, muddled by the flowing rivulets of tears from the vast, ominous sky. Heavy eyelids began to slip close. Heavy shoulders began to slump down.

Blood splattered all over the wet pavement, shattered asphalt and bone scattered along the walkway with it.

Characters: You explained him very well, though you didn't give us his name. You didn't explain his appearance in clumps, instead moved it out through the chapter!

Grammar:You use a lot of commar, and more words then needed. If you reread what you have done carefully, you can see many things that could've been taken out and still give it the great effect you have done with this peice.

Structure: Good, could of been a little less spacing in the last part and a little more in the beginning but...all well! :D

Overall: Woah.....that is very good explaining. I could see everything in my head, and did not suspect that fall. Ouch! I think this is very good, and can't wait for the second chpater. PM when you have more up.
I spy!

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:16 pm
Sins says...

Hey there :)

Her to review as requested.

Chapter One - Sanctuary

The breeze swept his unruly hair away from his face and back again, making the rough strands brush harshly against his skin as he watched the sky from above the tall buildings. I like this sentence, but it's a bit long. Maybe you could shorten it? The scent of rain was in the air. Small, cold droplets of water were starting to pelt around the cemented block around him, but he did not mind. He continued to watch the sky. Heavy blankets of misty dark clouds engulfed showers and showers of bright, golden stars. I really loved the description here. The moon was nowhere to be seen. Humidity rose all around him, although the atmosphere was damp and cold.

Perched upon the precarious edge of the rooftop he was sitting on, he took a deep breath and sighed, his every inhale cold and biting. His feet dangled carelessly down the ledge, swinging, carefree, and without any restraint or nervousness in them.

He enjoyed watching everything from above, enjoyed the way how small people looked small from such a high place, enjoyed the city lights. He enjoyed the wind, which howled and was starting to billow, threatening to push him off the edge and kill him. This is way too long for one sentence, if you ask me! Replace one of the commas with a full stop, like I've done. :wink:

A little bit of fear stirred inside his stomach, but he really was not afraid of the fall. He would actually enjoy the fall – the freedom of being able to release himself from the tension of keeping his feet on the ground all the time had always seemed quite exhilarating for him. What he feared was what happened after the fall, how much it would hurt afterwards. But that wasn’t what was playing in on his mind right now.

He stared at his sneakers as if they were the most interesting things that were ever made in the world, deep in thought.

He was abandoned.

This was his sanctuary.

The rain poured in hard.

He ached for warmth.
I loved the structure of these few sentences!

He was drenched to the bone, his wispy dark locks clinging to his subtle, tame countenance. Dark, sleepy eyes began to lose sight, muddled by the flowing rivulets of tears from the vast, ominous sky. Heavy eyelids began to slip close. Burdened shoulders began to slump down.

Blood splattered all over the wet pavement, dismembered flesh scattered along the walkway with it. Limbs sprawled over the asphalt, bent at unnatural, sickening angles. Ewww... :lol:

Wow! This was seriously good! This is really suitable as a first chapter. It's interesting, descriptive and it definitely made me want to read on! It also got me asking lots of questions, so well done!

One thing I noticed though is that some of your sentences are really long. Sometimes you should put a period instead of a comma. Also, I do have to agree with Apple. I would have liked to know the characters name. It's not terribly important though really, you can reveal that in the next chapter.

Overall, this was seriously great! I can't wait for the next chapter.

If you want another review, just post in my Will Review For Food forum and ask!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

It wouldn't feel right for me to review this, because I write in almost the same manner. I really liked this, maybe even loved it, and it was just... cool. Write more, please!
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 am
eldEr says...

Comments, suggestions and corrections in red! ;)

Winterblossoms wrote:Chapter One - Sanctuary

The breeze swept his unruly hair away from his face and back again, making the rough strands brush harshly against his skin as he watched the sky from above the tall buildings. The scent of rain was in the air. Small, cold droplets of water were starting to pelt around the cemented block around remove one of the 'arounds' as they aren't both needed him, but he did not mind. He continued to watch the sky. Heavy blankets of misty dark clouds engulfed showers and showers of bright, golden stars. The moon was nowhere to be seen. Humidity rose all around him, although the atmosphere was damp and cold.
He enjoyed watching everything from above, enjoyed the way how small people looked small another repetitive word here. Take out one of the 'small's from such a high place, enjoyed the city lights. He enjoyed the wind, which howled and was starting to billow, threatening to push him off the edge and kill him.
A little bit of fear stirred inside his stomach, but he really was not afraid of the fall. He would actually enjoy the fall – the freedom of being able to release himself from the tension of keeping his feet on the ground all the time had always seemed quite exhilarating for him. What he feared was what happened after the fall, how much it would hurt afterwards. But that wasn’t what was playing on his mind right now.
He was abandoned.
This was his sanctuary.

The rain poured in hard.

He ached for warmth.
Blood splattered all over the wet pavement, dismembered flesh scattered along the walkway with it. Limbs sprawled over the asphalt, bent at unnatural, sickening angles.

Okay...so that was sort of creepy...and I loved every second of it! This sounds like it'll become a thriller, am I correct?
Let me know when you've posted more! I'll gladly read and review it!

You had very few errors, just the odd repeat word. Keep an eye out for that ;)
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm
MiaParamore says...

The breeze swept his unruly hair away from his face and back again, making the rough strands brush harshly against his skin as he watched the sky from above the tall buildings. The scent of rain was in the air. Small, cold droplets of water were starting to pelt on the cemented block around him, but he did not mind. He continued to watch the sky. Heavy blankets of misty dark clouds engulfed showers and showers of bright, golden stars. The moon was nowhere to be seen. Humidity rose all around him, although the atmosphere was damp and cold.
It was such a wonderful description. You seem to be an avid lover of nature.

Perched upon the precarious edge of the rooftop he was sitting on, he took a deep breath and sighed, his every inhaled cold and biting. His feet dangled carelessly down the ledge, swinging, carefree, and without any restraint or nervousness in them.

He enjoyed watching everything from above, enjoyed the way how small people looked from such a high place, enjoyed the city lights. He enjoyed the wind, which howled and was starting to billow, threatening to push him off the edge and kill him.

A little bit of fear stirred inside his stomach, but he really was not afraid of the fall. He would actually enjoy the fall – the freedom of being able to release himself from the tension of keeping his feet on the ground all the time had always seemed quite exhilarating for him. What he feared was what would happened after the fall, how much it would hurt afterwards. But that wasn’t what was playing on his mind right now.

He was abandoned.

This was his sanctuary.

The rain poured in hard.

He ached for warmth.

I looked a bit confused it but its nice.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites