z

Young Writers Society

The Greatest Matchmaking Challenge Ever: Ch. 2

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:07 pm
Esther Sylvester says...

This is the second chapter to my romance novel, "The Greatest Matchmaking Challenge Ever". Please let me know your thoughts!

CHAPTER TWO
The carriage careened across the bumpy road in a fashion that would have terrified the bravest of knights. Normally, the view from inside the carriage would be quite nice, but Princess Anita of Corin was too busy bracing herself for the next large bump to notice. Anita dug her finger nails into the soft cushion of her seat and closed her eyes. She had to admit it: long carriage trips made her uneasy. She cocked her head and murmured, "Are we there yet?"
A young man in the seat across from her chuckled. He pulled a watch from his pocket and looked at it.

“Judging by my calculations, dear sister, we have a few hours yet to go,” he said.

Anita let out a small whimper and sunk into her seat. A few hours! She released her grip from her chair and used her free hand to finger the soft fabric of her dress, which was a better activity than looking out the window. Motionsickness ran in her family and unfortunately she was not immune to it. She was only upset that her brother did not seemed to be so effected as she.

“Why couldn’t we have ridden horses to Maritha, Robert? I would have much preferred to ride horses.” Anita said.

“Horses are uncomfortable and not suitable to ride far distances.” Robert said.

“At least horses obey the physics of the known world and not fly through air dramatically whenever they reach a bump, darn it!” Anita said sharply.

“Anita! Watch your language! If you act like that in front of the king, who knows if you’ll ever get married off.”

“I’m sorry. Forgive my manners.”

Anita would have liked to say a good deal more than just darn it, but it would not do to have the “princess of an ailing kingdom behaving in such a matter in which she would not look presentable in front of her peers”. At least that’s what her father had said. (He was a wordy man.) It was what everyone said, after the incident.

The kingdom from which Anita came was suffering, that was for sure. It was named Corin, after the king that had founded it. It was doing well enough for a few centuries. The occasional riot and insane jesters didn’t do much to upset the balance. However, when King Stefan made the simple mistake of being drunk in the king of Maritha’s presence, things took a turn for the worse. King Stefan had challenged King Rodrick of Maritha’s ruling style in a drunken stupor. (Poor Stefan loved to drink.) After that, Maritha spitefully cut off its trade routes to Corin, leaving its economy to dwindle. After that, king Stefan shortly died, leaving Anita’s father to be king. Anita dwelled on that old story. It was amazing to her the things a few careless words could do. But then it occurred to her:

Why would a kingdom send for a princess from a rival kingdom to suit its prince?

“Robert,” Anita began, “why is it that Maritha, the ultimate rival of our kingdom, sent for us? Surely there are more princesses out there for a wealthy prince than just me.”

Robert grinned slightly and adjusted his sitting position so that he was facing her.

“Well, I have a few theories. One, is that Maritha is fearing war from us and they need to make peace-Or two, you’re the only suitable princess left.” Robert said.

Anita raised an eyebrow.

“What do you mean?” Anita asked.

“Rumor has it that Prince Alex of that kingdom has scared off any girl that has come to be a match for him. Twenty six, sister. Twenty six scared away in some way or another. I heard that the latest girl that was sent over was soaked to the bone with a bucket of ice water. Poor thing.” he said.

“Gosh, he must be terrible to do that. I hope I do not get on his bad side.” Anita said, but her eyes showed no worry.

Robert leaned forward and grabbed his sister’s hand. He looked her in the eyes.

“Listen, Anita. No matter how matter how beastly he is, you must do your best to suit him. Our kingdom needs this match, sister. Without it, we might not get on our feet again. Please act on your best behavior.” Robert said.

Anita pulled her hand from him in mock shock. She batted her eyes innocently and smiled sweetly.

“You mean I should act like this?”

“Well, perhaps not so dramatically. We don’t want him to think you’re a dolt.”

Anita smiled and looked at her brother. The both shared the large blue eyes, but Robert got his fretting disposition from their mother. Anita didn’t want him to worry, but Anita thought herself perfectly able to handle a stubborn prince. After all, tenacity ran in the family almost as commonly as motionsickness.

“Don’t worry about it. I shall do my best to humor him. I shall greet him sweetly, ask him many questions about how great he is, and maybe giggle like a fool every time he winks at me.”

Robert frowned.

“I don’t know if you’re planning anything Anita, but don’t push it.”

Anita stretched her limbs out and then winked at her brother.

“What,” she said, “and ruin the perfect match?”
Last edited by Esther Sylvester on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 11 times in total.
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:18 pm
Zibbie says...

Oohhh i like this chapter even better than the first. Not much action, but the dialogue was great.
Esther Sylvester wrote:each a bump, darn it!” Anita said

i would have rather she said damn it. Who says darn it? lol
Esther Sylvester wrote:The kingdom from which Anita was suffering, that was for sure.

I think you're trying to say her home country is suffering, but it is poorly worded. Maybe "Anita's kingdom was suffering, that was for sure."

Esther Sylvester wrote:She batted her eyes innocently at him and smiled sweetly

Take away the "at him"

Overall i really liked it, and those were the only things i could find. I can't wait to see what happens!
Zib
"His poetry was terrible. It sounds like he ate a dictionary and started vomiting up words at random."

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 pm
comrie says...

hello, hello! so, you've posted another chapter, i'm glad. like zib said, there's not a lot of action in this, but the dialogue was good. so, anita's introduced! i'm guessing that she'll be the one that ties alex down. i like her character, but i hope she doesn't try and act non-anita around alex, because of robert's wishing.
i like the time, like, how it's not modern. their speech kind of gives us clues (darn it!), y'know? which is good, you should always give clues, so that you won't confuse the reader.
umm, just a few things i'd revise.

“Judging by my calculations, dear sister, we have a few hours yet to go.” he said.

it's good you didn't capitalize the he, but in some of the other ones, you did. so, i'd edit that. and plus, don't forget that instead of a period after the word go, you add a comma. you did this with most of your sentences, so, yeah check them out?
He looked her into the eye.

this, to me, looked a little weird. um, i'd say He looked her in the eye, or… He looked into her eyes. play with it!
However when King Stefan made the simple mistake of being drunk in the king of Maritha’s presence, things took a tide for the worse.

comma after however.
“Listen Anita. No matter how matter how beastly he is, you must do your best to suit him. He is the only heir to the Maritha throne. Our kingdom needs this match, sister. Without it, we might not get on our feet again. Please act on your best behavior.” Robert said.

add a comma after listen. and the second sentence, i did not understand at all. i think you might've added to many matter how's in there.

that's all i could find! zib went over some of the others i wanted to mention.
i hope you take the time to revise this. i enjoyed reading this and i'm looking forward to reading the next set of chapters!

-julie (:
kissin' sailors

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:38 am
Kaedee says...

Hiya Esther, KD's back again!
Kay. I think it's so cool that you ended both chapters in a similar way:
Chapter One: "What? And ruin my fun?"
Chapter Two: "What? And ruin the perfect match?" Very clever, loved that little touch! It seems to already show similarities between Alex and Anita!

Nitpicks:

Esther Sylvester wrote:She cocked her head to the side and murmured, "Are we there yet?".
You don't need 'to the side', because when you cock your head, you always 'cock it' to the side. So it's obvious and not needed.

Esther Sylvester wrote:She cocked her head to the side and murmured, "Are we there yet?".
Don't need the last period.

Esther Sylvester wrote:From out of his pocket he pulled a watch and looked at it.
You could just say: 'He pulled a watch out of his pocket and looked at it'.

Esther Sylvester wrote:A few hours! She released her grip from her chair and used her free hand to finger the soft fabric of her dress, which was a better activity than looking out the window.

I thought that the view from inside the carriage is generally quite nice. So why would she prefer touching her dress from...? If you really mean this, this can say a lot about her, this can strengthen her character. Maybe she doesn't care for outdoors. Maybe...well, you know what I mean?

Esther Sylvester wrote:“At least horses obey the physics of the known world and not fly through air dramatically whenever they reach a bump, darn it!” Anita said.
Is she saying this all in a rush? Cause then this run on sentence format would make sense even though technically, it is wrong. But it might actually work here. I would replace the 'not' with a 'don't'.

Esther Sylvester wrote:Anita would have liked to say a good deal more than just darn it, but it would not do to have the “princess of an ailing kingdom behaving in such a matter in which she would not look presentable in front of her peers.”
Quotation mark in front of the period.

Esther Sylvester wrote:The kingdom from which Anita from was suffering, that was for sure.
Should be 'The kingdom from which Anita came from was suffering, that was for sure'. (Don't actually put the word in bold, just used for correcting.)

Esther Sylvester wrote:However, when King Stefan made the simple mistake of being drunk in the king of Maritha’s presence, things took a tide for the worse.
'Tide for the worse'? Huh? Should be 'turn for the worse'.

Esther Sylvester wrote:“Robert,” Anita began, “why is it that Maritha sent for us? Surely there are more princesses out there for a wealthy prince than just me.”
She should also add that the two kingdoms, well, aren't exactly friends either.

Esther Sylvester wrote:. One, is that Maritha is fearing war from us and it needs to make peace-Or two, you’re the only suitable princess left.” Robert said.
You don't need the comma after 'one'. And shouldn't 'it' be 'they'?

Esther Sylvester wrote:I hear that the latest girl that was sent over was soaked to the bone with a bucket of ice water.
Should be 'I heard'.

Esther Sylvester wrote:“Gosh, he must be terrible to do that. I hope I do not get on his bad side.” Anita said.
How did she say this? Worriedly? Fearfully?

Esther Sylvester wrote:She didn’t want him to worry, but Anita thought herself perfectly able to handle a stubborn prince.
The first and second half of this sentence have nothing to do with each other, since it at least sounds as if you're talking about Robert/Anita's mother in the beginning.

Overall:

The story is going well. The things I found were all very minor, mind you. :) I still don't quite understand Anita's character yet from her actions. At first she seemed a little spoiled, then I changed my mind. Well, I guess I'll see soon.
Hope I helped! Keep up the good work-

KD

Zibbie:
Who says darn it? lol
Lol, I do, at least! :D
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

155 Reviews

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:21 pm
Esther Sylvester says...

Cool, thanks guys! I've went through and revised most of it and I must say it looks a lot better thanks to you. And to KD, I say darn it too! Thanks. :D

More reviews are still welcome!

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:12 am
Addawen19 says...

I love this! Seriously, I love the idea of the prince being a bad ass, pardon my French, it's a cute idea.
Now, it looks like everyone has given you the critique, and they were very good critiques, so I'm just here to tell you how much I've enjoyed your first two chapters. I hope that Anita gives Alex a run for his money! and of course that she doesn't take his crap. but dishes it right back! alright that's all, great work!
The heart wants, the body needs, and the mind suffers. - me

155 Reviews

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Esther Sylvester says...

Thank you! That means a lot!

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:38 pm
Sins says...

Hey again! :)

Once again, I'll start with the nasty bits :wink:

“At least horses obey the physics of the known world and don't not fly through air dramatically whenever they reach a bump, darn it!” Anita said sharply.

“Anita! Watch your language! If you act like that in front of the king, who knows if you’ll ever get married off.”

I think that this would sound better if it was something like, If you act like that in front of the king, you'll never get married off!

They both shared the same large blue eyes, but Robert got his fretting disposition from their mother.

“What,” she said, “and ruin the perfect match?”

I really liked this ending! It hints that both the prince and princess are pretty similar, because the prince's chapter ended in a similar way!

Like the first chapter, I really liked this! Like other's have said, there wasn't much action but your dialogue was very good. I didn't find may nit-picks at all, definitely no major ones anyway!

Overall, this was just as good as the first chapter! Well done! I;m going to check out the next chapter now! 8)

xoxo Skins

Zibbie: Who says darn it? lol
KD: Lol, I do, at least!

So do i! :wink:
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri May 28, 2010 9:34 pm
austenite says...

I've enjoyed reading this so far!! I think you've introduced both the MC's quite well, especially establishing Alex first and then Anita (Alex and Anita, it's a perfect fit :D), because that gives us an idea of what he's like. Think Greek tragedic comedies and Christmas pantos - the audience always knows what's going on, even if the characters don't, and you capture that beautifully. Which is great, because you can see that this is the time of romantic/comedic fairytale. It reminds me of Shrek - but don't worry, that's not a bad thing. That's a good thing!!

I like your style of writing as well. You keep it fairly modern, but to remind us that it is a fairy tale with Princes and Princesses and carriages, you add elements of 'old language' like 'dolt' and 'darn' to make it more authentic. I really like that, because I hate people who try and write historical fiction but make it all modernish, and there's no authenticity to it.

I'm looking forward definately to reading the other chapters. I love Anita as a character as well. She's very brazen, got a great attitude and is strong, from the impression that you've given so far, but she also knows her place in society and how important things like matches are to her kingdom. You've captured her well. The only gripe I would have is lack of description of her, a bit more is needed to just let the reader have a more solid mental image of her.

The only thing I noticed:

Esther Sylvester wrote:

“Well, I have a few theories. One, is that Maritha is fearing war from us and they need to make peace-Or two, you’re the only suitable princess left.” Robert said.

You don't need the 'Or' as a capital or the dash. Just keep it as "One, is that Mathia is fearing war from us and they need to make peace. Or two, you're the only suitable princess left," Robert said. No period, just a comma.!

Off to read more, I can see myself going to bed late tonight :D
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:39 pm
Daisuki says...

You're dialouge ability is amazing - it sounds natural and not awkward at all. I love the humor in here, it makes me smile and laugh. On to the next chapter
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

Live your life how you want, but don't confuse drama with happiness.
— Ron, Parks & Rec