z

Young Writers Society

The Greatest Matchmaking Challenge Ever.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:08 am
Esther Sylvester says...

“Y-you are impossible!” the princess quavered. She was soaked from head to toe with ice water. Her hair was ratted and makeup streamed down her face. She really was a sight, much to Alex’s pleasure.

“I don’t want to see you ever again!” she shrieked.

She pulled up her wet skirts and trailed off, screaming for her maids and servants to follow her. Looking out the castle window one could see a carriage pull up, and quickly drive away, carrying an angry princess and some very confused servants.
Standing and watching the whole spectacle, a thin man about the age of forty pulled out a notebook from his jacket and crossed out the princess’s name. He pushed his spectacles up his long nose and said, “That makes five in three months. You really are getting better, or should I say worse, at this falling in love thing.”

He said this to the prince, who was busy rolling in the dirt and wiping tears from his eyes. The prince shouted out an impolite farewell at the carriage and then turned to face his advisor. Noticing the unimpressed look in his advisor’s eyes, he instantly changed his huge smile to a neutral expression.

“She was a bad one anyway. She let her temper get out of control just because she fell for the old bucket-of- water- in- the- door trap. It’s a shame, she was only here for two days,” the prince said. He cracked up again, and this time he didn’t bother to control himself.

The advisor rolled his eyes and headed towards a back entrance for the castle. Alex quickly followed, grinning ear to ear. They were soon walking the thin corridors to the side of the castle, which led into the larger, grander halls of the main floor. The advisor pushed his way through the halls in a huff, ignoring the servants and maids that he bumped into.

“Your father is going to kill you for this,” Jean said. He stormed through a door that led up to the main hall.

“Jean, I thought you supported me scaring off princesses that I didn’t like.” Alex said. He grabbed a small appetizer off a tray of a passing cook.

“I didn’t mean for you to scare off every single one of them. I figured you would just pick one and settle down. Maybe if you hadn’t scared them all off so early, you would have found a wife by now.” the advisor answered. He pushed a small wooden door aside and rushed into a larger, more ornate hall. For a while, all that could be heard was the sound of Alex’s and Jean’s footsteps on the tiled floor. Alex decided to break the silence.
“Listen, I know that you’re upset. I can understand why. But I am never going to get married. I’m not going to spend my life with a single person; it’s a waste of time.”

Jean let a weak smile cross his face. He took a look at the prince, who was busy looking adamant with his decision.

“But we know that isn’t the real reason, is it?” Jean said.

Alex halted in his march. His eyes suddenly lost the foolish determination. He clenched his fists and turned to his long time friend. After staring at him for quite sometime, he turned back to the hall, and marched ahead of Jean.

Without turning back, Alex said, “We’re done here. I’ll see you in the throne room.”

Jean watched him reach a fork in the hall and take a left, which, unfortunately led to the guest rooms, not the throne room. He had to admit Alex got lost quite easily, even if his home was a castle. Jean started to walk in Alex’s direction. He knew his friend couldn’t live like that, and it was time for him to find someone. Someone who cared for him, listened to him, and most importantly had a good sense of direction. And there Jean swore that Alex would fall in love, whether Alex liked it or not. He adjusted his glasses and ran after Alex, who by now was circling the halls trying to find his way. Jean caught up to him and yanked him around. Alex let out a howl of pain and glared at him.

“What was that for?” Alex demanded.

“Listen, maybe I was out of line. But Alex, you really have to know that if you don’t find someone soon, you may be alone for the rest of your life. Another princess is soon to be here. Please promise me that you will at least try to be hospitable?”

Alex frowned and crossed his arms, which was his usual way of saying, “I don’t wanna”.
But he knew that his friend was distressed, so he decided to humor him.

“Fine. I promise I will say hello, answer all of her questions, and offer to take her for a stroll in the garden. Are you happy now?”

Jean frowned and crossed his arms as well.

“I have no idea what you have up your sleeve, you royal pain, but you better know right now that I won’t fall for it.”

Alex chuckled and headed down the hall, skipping every few steps.

“What,” Alex said, “and ruin my fun?”
Last edited by Esther Sylvester on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:24 am
WastedFantasy says...

I love it! I was drawn in from the beginning. Its got a really good plot so far and I can already see some of whats going to happen! There were a few grammar errors and one or two spelling mistakes but nothing really big. I look forward to reading more!
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 am
Zibbie says...

Hi Esther!
I really like the plot for this story, and in the end i was still curious and wanting to read more.
Here are some things i noticed...

Esther Sylvester wrote: He had to admit Alex got lost quite easily, even if his home was a castle.

I don't like this sentence, he doesn't have to admit anything, so i would take that out. And the last part is poorly worded. Maybe something like "Despite the castle being his home, he got lost quite easily"

Esther Sylvester wrote:Alex halted in his march. His eyes suddenly lost the foolish determination. He clenched his fists and turned to his long time friend.

Someone once told me i had to stop stating sentences with "He did this" "He did that", I found that really helped me create diffrent sentence structures. I hope this helps as it looks like you have the same problem in these lines

Really captivating story!
Just wondering... is he gay? or in love with someone else?
Zib
"His poetry was terrible. It sounds like he ate a dictionary and started vomiting up words at random."

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:08 am
comrie says...

i like alex's character. he's interesting.
“Your father is going to kill you for this.” He said.

you should replace the period with a comma, and lowercase the h in he. there are a couple more like that, so i'd take the time to re-read this and pin point 'em.
“I didn’t mean for you to scare off every single one of them. I figured you would just pick one and settle down. Maybe if you hadn’t scared them all off so early, you would have found a wife by now.” the advisor answered.

you just have to replace the period with the comma. okay, i couldn't help pointing that out. golly.
use their names instead of saying he and she. for awhile, i was confused as to whether or not it was alex or jean speaking.
or maybe it's because i'm too slow. i dunno.
but i liked the plot, and characters. i'm real interested into learning more about alex, and why he's not having such good luck with these princesses. bad love experience? hmm. is he doing anything purposely? ohh, possibly! i hope i'm surprised, cos i like surprises.
haha, okay, i'll stop.
-julie
kissin' sailors

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:43 pm
Kaedee says...

Hey Esther. It's KD, here to review your piece today!
This was cute, fun, and entertaining. A classic matchmaking story between nobles! (Well sometimes, it turns out differently than that.) But may I ask: Is there more coming of this? More chapters? Or is this just a snippet of something? Because this feels almost unfinished. But overall, you did a great job.

Nitpicks:

Before I start, make sure your capitalization is right after dialog.
Esther Sylvester wrote:“I don’t want to see you ever again!” she shrieked.
What I mean, is, the word after the dialog. I'm pretty sure this is correct, but there are some of these capitalization errors running throughout the story.

Esther Sylvester wrote:“Y-you are impossible!” the princess quavered out. She spoke so because she was soaked from head to toe with ice water. Her hair was ratted and makeup streamed down her face.
'Quavered out'? Just say 'quavered'. Also capitalize the 'the' in front of 'princess'. I think it would be better and simpler to just say for the second sentence: 'She was soaked from head to toe with ice water.' It helps get straight to the point. I think you should also replace the 'with' with 'in'.

Esther Sylvester wrote:Alex quickly followed, grinning ear to ear.
Should be 'grinning from ear to ear'.

Esther Sylvester wrote:They were soon walking the thin corridors under the castle, which led into the larger, grander halls of the main floor.
Do you really mean 'under'?

Esther Sylvester wrote:Someone who cared for him, listened to him, and most importantly had a good sense of direction.
:D I love this line where the narrator speaks of a good wife for Alex.

Esther Sylvester wrote:And there Jean swore that Alex would fall in love, whether he liked it or not.
That's a bit odd for Jean to do, if you know what I mean. It would make more sense to start out the sentence like this: 'And there Jean swore that he would make sure that Alex would fall in love, whether he liked it or not.'

As I said I liked this! Hope I helped. Keep up the good work-

KD
Perfect things in life aren't things.
Spoiler! :
*_______*

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:45 pm
Esther Sylvester says...

Thank you for the constructive criticism. I'm glad you all liked it to some extent! Thank you for pointing out those mistakes. I probably wouldn't have dealt with them on my own. I will work on them, I promise!

As for any questions:

Nope, Alex isn't gay! I'm glad I cleared the waters there.

This is not a one shot. It is the first chapter to my romance novel.

Well, thanks guys. Review again. :D
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:26 am
MiaParamore says...

Hi Esther. First of all, welcome to YWS. :D I had been seeing your this story for two-three days and was quite curious to read it but couldn't find time. Now I am finally here.

She was soaked from head to toe with ice chilled(It would be better) water.

Someone who cared for him, listened to him, and most importantly had a good sense of direction

:lol:

I am loving your story and the setting. Since its set up majorly in palace, let the reader get that feeling. Tell us about the decor of palace, their wardrobes, how they look. I couldn't picture anyone of them in my mind.
KEEP writing! Off to read next xhapter. :)
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:17 pm
Sins says...

Hey Esther! Here as requested :wink:

I'm going to start off with my least favourite bit, the nit-picks!

“Y-you are impossible!” the princess quavered.

This should be, The princess quavered.

“I don’t want to see you ever again!” she shrieked.

This should also be, She shrieked.

She pulled up her wet skirts and trailed off, screaming for her maids and servants to follow her.

Unless she was wearing more than one skirt, that is.

You really are getting better, or should I say worse, at this falling in love thing.”

I don't think you need a comma here. Although, I'm not very good when it comes to commas!

It’s a shame, she was only here for two days,” the prince said.

The prince said.

He cracked up again, and this time, he didn’t bother to control himself.

Comma here, I think.

Alex quickly followed, grinning from ear to ear.

They were soon walking the thin corridors to the side of the castle, which led into the larger, grander halls of the main floor.

Comma after castles.

He had to admit, Alex got lost quite easily, even if his home was a castle.

Comma after admit, I think.

Someone who cared for him, listened to him, and most importantly had a good sense of direction.

I really liked this line! I think that someone else has actually commented on it as well. :)

I must say, I really liked this! It's nice to see something different for once. Prince, princesses, castles e.t.c stories are normally written in the princess's point of view. I like the fact that your is from the point of view of the prince!

You don't tend to capitalize after dialogue. Although, I have a feeling that you don't always have too... I'm not to sure about it though really! I think that Demeter has actually posted a thread about it...

Overall, this was very quirky and entertaining! I found a few nit-picks, although I wouldn't take them too seriously! I'm bad at pointing them out :oops:

Can't wait to read the next chapter!

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:31 pm
Daisuki says...

Oh! I love your writing and this story and I can't wait for more! I like Alex's character and I hope he finds a down-to-earth lover, one who'll have fun with him.
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare