61%
I would never be able to write without a plan to guide me
30%

Total votes : 64

Random avatar

Reviews: 37
Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:14 pm
mim says...

Hi! I just kinda wondered if anyone actually used story plans and stuck to them. I find them really hard to do and i hardly ever follow my plan unless i need to for an assignment or something. Usually i just let my hand take over (if you get me).
Well, anyway, i just wondered what other people thought about story plans so........... tell me!
*likle mim*

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:23 pm
Firestarter says...

"I use them occasionally but prefer not to", that's me! I only use them when I really think it would be useful. If it's a full blown novel, I find planning of the general plot very useful, but everything else not neccesary, but sometimes I find them helpful (e.g character sheets).
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:00 am
bubblewrapped says...

I chose B, but I really should say that I TRY to use them, I just hate them so much I generally end up ignoring them in the end anyway. Its like telling the story to someone, you know? The urge to write it just kinda fizzles out. I do usually have scattered notes about bits and pieces in all sorts of odd places but they couldnt really be called a story plan. Most of the story just happens as I write it (or so I can recall from the days when I could actually write stories - in a bit of a dry spell at the moment Crying or Very sad).
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:41 pm
Skye says...

I chose the second one. I am writing two stories at the moment. I am using a plan for one and just writing the other. In the end, I'm going to see which one works best for me.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:48 pm
Meshugenah says...

i don't really use plans.. i just outline what happens and what info i need to put into something and/or where. i am going to be expirememnting with plans vs. no plans as well...

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:03 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I really only write out a plan once I get near the end of the story. Otherwise I just write it as it comes to me.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:16 pm
-KayJuran- says...

i generally write the general outline
of the story & try 2 let the story tell
itself after that... sumtimes i'll write
down exactly what i want 2 happen
in each chapter but it doesnt always
work the way i planned it...
any1 else have that problem where
the characters end up doing things u
didnt plan 4 them 2 do?, sorta like
they're living people & ur writin what
u see, not what u want them to do...

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:20 pm
Firestarter says...

any1 else have that problem where
the characters end up doing things u
didnt plan 4 them 2 do?

Totally. Though I wouldn't call it a problem, as such. I just can't control my characters. If I try and force them to do something, it's like they turn round and say "Hey, I'd never do that, don't be stupid!" or something. I'm not crazy. Really, I'm not :roll:
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:21 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*raises hand* Me.

That's one of the reason I don't use plans unti the END. By that time I generally know my characters and can understand what I can and can't convince them to do (yes, they are living, breathing people, they just live and breathe in my imagination instead of on the same level as we do).
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:24 am
Skye says...

I have that problem also, and for my "planned" story, it's very annoying. It's like they are trying as hard as they can to throw my story off balance, and looking back, they've done a pretty good job. Not only are my characters misbehaving, but I'm having incidents with dragons that I never even dreamed would make their way in there. However, after a fierce and bitter struggle, I do let them do what they want. It's very trying, though, when my two MCs are trying to kill each other. *facesmack*
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:39 am
Meshugenah says...

or when a character starts acting in an *ahem* rude manner. or they star relationships that just don't work. or do stupid things... i'm not crazy either. i'm perfectly normal. as is everyone here. it's everyone else that's crazy.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:45 pm
Crysi says...

Crystalia is so freaking indecisive!! GRAR.

*ahem* Anyway.. I HAVE to plan. I need to know where my story is going. I'm not so strict that I outline every single chapter.. although I DO have a general idea of what it's going to cover. That just helps me to know when to stop.

Now, that doesn't mean I always stick to my plans.. I get a general idea of where I want to go and how I want to get there, but sometimes I'll get a good idea for a twist and will tweak the storyline a bit.

I tried writing without a plan.. both stories ended up unfinished. They had absolutely no plot. I think it's because I might have ADD (I haven't been tested yet though). Anyway, I just have problems concentrating, so when I write, I go off on the most random thoughts.. which is why I need a plan to remind me where I'm SUPPOSED to be going.

*lost train of thought* g'night!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:14 pm
Sam says...

when I plan, my stuff sounds too forced. It's crushing your creative juices, your ability to improvise and just go where you want to while writing. I NEVER PLAN! unless, of course it's for a grade and I'm forced to by my LA teacher. Of course, my LA stuff sounds bad.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:47 pm
Crysi says...

I can understand that.

But when I plan, it actually HELPS my creativity, because I'll see where the story needs to go, and I'll get one idea on how to get there, then I'll get a million more ideas that branch off of that.. It's very fun hehe! :D

Reviews: 1
Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:30 pm
BlackBird says...

i usually don't write out plans plans, it tends to be very difficult to stay on track with the plan that i make. Most of the time I will come up with something while I'm writing.Although sometimes they can be useful, especially when writing books.

I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight