z

Young Writers Society

Songwriting tips please?

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:30 am
Akisha says...

I need some tips on Songwriting for my songwriting class in school. Anyone got any? I'd be very grateful! :)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:21 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Do you need help with lyrics or with the song itself?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

31 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:51 pm
Akisha says...

Well I'm supposed to write a love song but Its really not my kind of thing. I don't dnow where to start! I haven't a clue how to write a song!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:07 pm
Beethoven says...

Writing a song is different for each person. Some start with lyrics, then add melodies, others do it opposite. What I usually do is start with a basic melody and write the lyrics and the rest of the song as I go along.

Love songs aren't my thing either, but I've found they are the easiest to write- no thinking involved lol
Lost love songs are even easier.

Think about the emotions involved. Even if you've never 'loved' (such as myself), look upon experiences of others, common sense, or heck, even about never having loved. Write a story in your mind about a growing love between two people and write it into poetry. Remember, songs don't have to rhyme, just like poems don't have to.

I've written about 18 or more songs, so... if you need any help and this is of no use, just let me know.
Your existence is overbearing.

31 Reviews

Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:20 pm
Akisha says...

Thanks a lot for the advice! I'll try my best! :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:32 am
kwestion22 says...

Oh! Oh! I know how!! PICK ME PICK ME!

Okay, so Beethoven is right. It's different from poetry, but not SO much, just different. It needs a beat, meaning it can't really be freelance - I mean, it can be without a beat but that's rare to pull off properly. So rhythm is a lot more important. And it needs to be more flowy, also.

Best of luck!

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:45 am
View Likes
Ross says...

Actually, it depends on the genre. If it's a rock ballad, then beat is a good thing. "Girlfriend" by Marie Digby is a great example. If you're thinking about Celtic-infused music, you have more free roam because Celtic music doesn't use a lot of drums. But if you imagine a "My Heart Will Go On", then your lyric lines have to be MEASURED!!!!!!!

And always remember the basic outline of a song:

Verse 1

Chorus

Verse 2

Chorus

Bridge

Chorus

(Verse 3)
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown