z

Young Writers Society

The Prologue

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:12 am
Griffinkeeper says...

If writing a bad prologue was a disease, I'd say that this forum was in the midst of an epidemic. Fortunately for everyone, I have the cure, which is this post.

Many people may not know what a prologue is. Here is the definition according to Dictionary.com.

pro·logue also pro·log
n.

1. An introduction or preface, especially a poem recited to introduce a play.
2. An introduction or introductory chapter, as to a novel.
3. An introductory act, event, or period.

Many people have confused the prologue with Chapter One. This isn't too difficult, because the prologue and the first chapter both can introduce the main plot and character. The biggest difference is that the prologue introduces the background ideas behind the story. The first chapter doesn't; it is dedicated exclusively to introducing the character and the setting. The prologue is also set before chapter one. If it isn't, than you don't have a prologue. Let's look at the neat ways a prologue can be used.

The first way it can be used is to set a location, more commonly the world you are working in. The default example for fantasy stories is this: Once upon a time in a land far far away... You can continue to establish the world from there, perhaps by describing the land and the castle.

The second thing it can do is describe the circumstances surrounding a character. In Lord of the Rings, it gives us the story of the ring of power and how it ended up with Bilbo. This is fairly common when you have introduced the world in a prequel, or some other book.

The third thing is to introduce a conflict. This is particularly useful when your story takes place in the middle of a conflict. The War between X and Y was at a stalemate, each side unable to gain an advantage over the other. X command decided on an offensive across the mountains. To do so, they would need to destroy several defensive fortifications... and so on and so forth.

Finally, you can use it to foreshadow something that will happen, perhaps by mentioning something seemingly unrelated to the initial story that hints at a deeper story. This is a more clever approach and should probably be reserved for people that have already outlined their story.

Here is a list of things that I've seen.

Case 1: Authors Notes IC: If your playing the part of a narrator, or making it seem like a character is writing the book, you can write a prologue. As long as the events take place in the third person.

Case 2: Flashbacks: These are used often for prologues, but they aren't prologues. Flashbacks always "fast-forward" to the present. A prologue is almost always in the past tense. This is because it happens before the story. Having it go from the past to the present defeats the purpose of the prologue.

With this short post, you are now able to heal yourself from this epidemic that has inflicted this site. Assuming, of course, that you take this to heart.
Last edited by Griffinkeeper on Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:45 am
Ryan says...

Above my post is plenty of information about a prologue.
I do agree with what's written to me except for the fact that it isn't interesting.
I couldn't read it all without falling asleep.
The main focus on a prologue is to interest people at the start, show them that the book is going to be one hell of a ride. Make sure the prologue pays an important part in your story and is not just an introduction, that can all be done in the first few chapters.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:58 pm
Rincewind says...

Too see an example of a prologue check the thread:
HAMSTRING A FABLE IN MANY PARTS.

It is not exactly a prologue, but all the essential nutrients are there;)

I agree with Ryan, above all, a proglue needs to be captivating.
And remember, prologues when used correctly are effective, but they are not necessary to a good book.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:38 pm
-KayJuran- says...

i was just about to ask whether you need one. i've started writing a new story, which i
actually plan to post once i have a bit more written and i'm not bothering with a prologue
- i'm trying out a new approach (for me at least) which is to put the characters into action
and dialogue straight away instead of telling the reader the history or describing anything
and everything around them.

127 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:07 pm
Rincewind says...

the challenge will be making everything interesting enough to
A) keep people interested regardless that they have no background information
B) keep everything intriguing so peoepl have a reason to want more.
~The bandit’s body slumped to the ground, knees hitting first,followed by the rest.His dead weight pushed dust into the air in a swirling cloud.The blood flowed from his head,splicing like river canals,delaying slightly on pebbles before flowing on through the street.~

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:30 pm
Snoink says...

KayJuran wrote:i was just about to ask whether you need one. i've started writing a new story, which i
actually plan to post once i have a bit more written and i'm not bothering with a prologue
- i'm trying out a new approach (for me at least) which is to put the characters into action
and dialogue straight away instead of telling the reader the history or describing anything
and everything around them.

I don't think you need them and would rather have action or dialogue straight away.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:39 pm
Meshugenah says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:If writing a bad prologue was a disease, I'd say that this forum was in the midst of an epidemic. Fortunately for everyone, I have the cure, which is this post.

Guilty as charged. I thought this was quite informative. What is it called it something is set after the beginning of a story, but acts as a prologue? preface? (ok, that was confusing. start at point B after end of book, but it's starts the book, then go back to point A and continue in a linear fashion until right before point B). I can't remember for the life of me.

Ryan, what, exactly did you mean by I do agree with what's written to me except for the fact that it isn't interesting. ?
Last edited by Meshugenah on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

127 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:42 pm
Rincewind says...

an epilogue

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:50 pm
Meshugenah says...

No, I do have one of those, and do know what it is. ah, its a bit confusing, perhaps I'll post it later and then ask what everyone thinks. But it most defifinately is not an epilogue, as it introduces the story. ah well, its not improtant. I guess it could be comapred to a frame story technique, really. I'll get a definition of that up once I can find/summarise one correctly, if anyone would like it.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

127 Reviews

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:56 pm
Rincewind says...

I mis read that and thought you said the thign that comes after the story.

I dont knwo what you are speaking of.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:29 am
Crysi says...

I understand what she's saying. It's a scene that takes place AFTER the rest of the book.. Kind of like if you took an epilogue and placed it at the beginning of the book. It's hard to pull off, but with a bit of skill it has a really nice effect.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:08 am
herkeyboard says...

Another, yet very difficult to pull off function a prologue can serve is this: the prologue takes pace right before the climax of your book. It must be brimming to the edge with tension. Then, of course, in the actual body of work, you skip this part. This is horribly difficult to accomplish succesfully - thus I don't suggest doing it in your first book. I'm not even trying it in my second. :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:28 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Updated the guide to reflect more knowledge of prologues.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:32 pm
Emerson says...

Of course, like usual, I'm somewhat confused and have a question. I'm trying to figure out how to create the beginning for my story.

Case 1: Authors Notes IC: If your playing the part of a narrator, or making it seem like a character is writing the book, you can write a prologue. As long as the events take place in the third person.

The last part has me lost. If you are "making it seem like a character is writing the book," Which I am, and which makes me think of first person, then how does third person come into play?

Maybe I've misread or misunderstood, so I thought I would ask...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:52 am
mandeyy says...

Stephen King wrote a book in which Chapter One was the prologue . Though it was titled Chapter One , the characters and events happening within it were completely separate from the next chapter . The girl in the first was killed and never spoken of again . It simply set up the scene like prologues do .

Just figured I'd throw that out there :D
i sleep under yer bed .

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb