z

Young Writers Society

Starting the story

Reviews: 1
Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:18 pm
livingintheoc says...

I dunno...I've been stuck on finding a good starting point for awhile...any ideas? I lost my favorite writing book so this has kind of become a problem
~*~livingintheoc~*~

~*The world is a very dark place when you do not beleive in sunlight~*~

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:44 pm
Rei says...

Do a little planning, brainstorm ideas. Decide when in the timeline is the best place for you to start, and then get a very clear image in your mind of what the scene looks like.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:47 pm
Sureal says...

And do not start by describing the weather.
I wrote the above just for you.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:24 pm
Crysi says...

Starting with a scene containing action is usually the best way to go. It pulls the reader in almost immediately. Find where you want to start, then find a way to convey that information while adding a bit of action. The beginning is always the hardest, but it gets easier once you get past it. Good luck!
Love and Light

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:27 pm
Bobo says...

Yeah, I always start my stories (prologue aside) with some sort of action that involves the main character, simultaneously introducing each main character. For example, in Boundless (the only story I've posted on here so far lol), the story starts with Aiden (AKA Bob since I haven't fixed his name yet lol) waking up from a weird dream and then taking off to go somewhere. Sometimes you can introduce the main character first, but I find that a bit cliche, so I would avoid it. Man, I need to work on my stories...

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:07 pm
Elelel says...

*grins* cliche introducing the main characters first? That's one I haven't heard before...

Lead in with a bang. Either start out in the middle of an action scene, or describe the biggest, most shocking thing you can to start off. Like if the main character (or lesser character, *grins*) sees someone being murdered ... lead in with their complete shock and the person dying. Or if there's something really gross near the character you start with.
Some interesting diaolgue works well too ... like if the first words on the page are: "Put it down!" screamed the woman ... or something, it's going to grab the readers attention. Or just an interesting line like: No one knew why the lunch box was there on that fateful day ... which people read and go "What!?" and want to work out what's going on.

There are heaps of ways ... but don't start out with a huge lecture on a characters ancestors or, as has been stated, the weather.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu